SFA / St. Edwards

27,948 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TallTexan
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did anyone see that back door bounce pass by Fisher?
CottonValleyJack
How does Comeaux look?
MasterAxe
So our improvements needed are the EXACT same things we never improved on last year?

Guh.
MasterAxe
nacluth said:

sfa17 said:

Starting 5 :Augustine, bogues, kevon, Gilmore, TJ

For it. We were caught flat footed by that super strong start by St Ed's which led to some pandemonium and sloppy play. Second half looked better when the guys started having some fun with the game. This team is going to be good. Don't know if we'll take down an SEC team, but we should be competitive. This team is obviously headed for a great year next year, but we should have some high hopes this year.

Improvement needed: careless turnovers; terrible inlet passes; quick shot 3's.

They said Ty will be back on the 28th. Seems quick. Best part of the night was announcer calling their top player Ryan Gosling.

Ed/anyone else who was there, tell us what the in person experience was like for those of us who can't wait until tomorrow.
Perhaps I should add your quote:

So, the improvements we need are the EXACT ones we never improved on last year?

I'll give Keller credit, he coaches what he knows.

Force the entry. Force the entry Foul, foul, foul. Force the entry.

nacluth
Partly, but those first few games last year were dreadful. They were so pitiful that in several I thought seriously that the crowd was the best player. This year's team is already as good as our conference team play was last year. We can actually score. We're playing at pace. Passing looks way crisper - especially from the point.

Our hi-lo offense is still super weak, but our slashing plays are pretty good. Defense is already disruptive which took forever last year to get so, but we're fouling too much. I think we look like a beginning of the season team instead of a beginning of a system team. So optimism over here.
PurpleOut
Staff
St. Edwards deserves some credit. They were able to work the ball around, and with our extra aggressive defense, able to get some open shots. And they knocked them down until they ran out of gas.

Canete played better at the end, but he looked out of control for the first 30 minutes. I'll chalk it up to rust. If he can knock down the 3s and get to the hoop like he did late tonight then he can be a great option.

Kevon is a monster. I think he can win the SLC POY...this year.
No-look
We look better and deeper this year than last year at this point. Bain and Charles will make us even deeper when they get well. The turnovers will dry up and the chemistry will get better. Want to see more of Fisher. Very optimistic at this point.
sfa17
MasterAxe said:

So our improvements needed are the EXACT same things we never improved on last year?

Guh.
its early but we already look better than last year. we had 3 players in the last two games reach double figure. last season we couldn't even get two.
RedRiverLa
Canete lost his shot and his confidence early last year and it never came back. I hope the end part of the game is a turning point for his shot. We really need consistency from behind the line. Even though TJ can hit it, we shouldn't have to rely on our big man.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
CottonValleyJack said:

How does Comeaux look?

Decent but new. He played much better tonight than on Saturday. He looked more in position and has a quick turn of speed. Still doesn't seem to quite have the shooting confidence. He turned down at least two open looks, but my guess is he's still catching up to the pace. I bet he'll grow pretty quick as a junior.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Ed/anyone else who was there, tell us what the in person experience was like for those of us who can't wait until tomorrow.
See my comments at the bottom of the Keller post-game presser.

I just read through the in-game comments on this thread, and it's almost as if we were watching the same game in the Coliseum that you guys were on TV. Brilliant minds think alike!

And a pretty decent crowd. Hope we get even more tomorrow night. I think it'll be a tougher and closer game.
nacluth
Hey by any chance was that you at Subway tonight? I just read your striped shirt comment.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Hey by any chance was that you at Subway tonight? I just read your striped shirt comment.
The one on University Drive? Then, yes! Was that you with the wife and three girls?
nacluth
Ha! Yep. I thought about saying something when I saw your hat. Oh well. Thanks for being so patient with my squad. I'll try to say hi tomorrow if I see you.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Partly, but those first few games last year were dreadful. They were so pitiful that in several I thought seriously that the crowd was the best player. This year's team is already as good as our conference team play was last year. We can actually score. We're playing at pace. Passing looks way crisper - especially from the point.

Our hi-lo offense is still super weak, but our slashing plays are pretty good. Defense is already disruptive which took forever last year to get so, but we're fouling too much. I think we look like a beginning of the season team instead of a beginning of a system team. So optimism over here.
Playing fast paced basketball always leads to more turnovers & fouls in the early season IMO than a regular system. As the guys settle into the speed and start to communicate better, it'll settle down, but hopefully opponents won't be able to keep up.

fountainhs
Observations from the game:

1) Kevon is an animal. Crazy that he is only a sophomore. Excited to see how he continues to develop throughout this year and in the next couple.
2) TJ remains a consistent force. Him and Bouges are exciting to watch as well.
3) This year team looks much more confident on the court this year than they did last year. Still young and have a lot of room for development, but early results look good. I would like to be 4-0 going to play Miss St.
4) Sad that Jovan has not gotten better in the past three years. Fisher looked very impressive in a short amount of work. I would have him as your reserve big man for the time being. Could be a good player in years to come.
5) Still looks like Canete and Gilmore are brushing off the rust. They'll be ready as we enter conference.
6) Really excited about this team. We look pretty good, and we do not even have Ty on the court. I expect this team to win conference and be looking to compete in a tourney game.
TallTexan
I'm with you on Kevon. When I was watching the Longwood game, I assumed he must have been a Juco transfer. So glad we have 3 years left.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.