SFA / Longwood

34,542 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why is Niemenen wearing a mask?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Seems like every time the ball is in the vicinity of Gru something bad happens.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

You can really see how much more they are a team now and so deep.

I do what I can.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAXE93 said:

You can really see how much more they are a team now and so deep.

Yes. Team depth.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Canete is snake bit.
nacluth
Canete fouls out on the charge. That was an ugly game for him.
SFA Jack Fanatic
If we hang on to win this thing, game ball to Kevon.
nacluth
edstile said:

If we hang on to win this thing, game ball to Kevon.

That's the sound of an SFA fan. Up by 12 with 3:30 left. Never trailed, never tied. "If we hang on..."
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Canete fouls out on the charge. That was an ugly game for him.

Did Canete hit one shot? Seemed like every one was playing faster than him.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Looks like TJ may be our one and only 3-point shooter this year.
nacluth
Nope. Never took one. 2 turnovers
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

That's the sound of an SFA fan. Up by 12 with 3:30 left. Never trailed, never tied. "If we hang on..."
Through the years, I've seen so many blown leads in so many games in so many different sports.....
SFA Jack Fanatic
Not a beautiful win, but not an ugly one either. Saw lots of good things (Harris, Holyfield, Bogues, steals, forcing turnovers, and rebounding) and lots of things to improve on (fouls, sloppy play at times). We'll take it!!
SFAXE93
Augustin REB:5;AST:8;STL:4;PTS:8
Harris REB:12;PTS:23
Holyfield PTS:18;STL:4;BLK:2;REB:7
Bogues PTS:15;REB:5;STL:1

SFA Jack Fanatic
Not a bad broadcast team. They were not "homers", which was refreshing.
INiedrauer
Staff
Considering the abomination of a basketball game we saw last time these teams played, I'll take it without question.

Does anyone recall who predicted 40+ combined turnovers? That guy was smart.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

nacluth
13 point win to start the season...not bad Jacks! This really wasn't as close as the final score indicated as we were just slowing the game down in the last 4 minutes. Harris was a beast, and Holyfield finally did some work wearing down the opposition. Bogues was smooth and efficient - not all gold but quite exciting.

Man of the game for me was Augustin. Harris definitely took control of the game, but we had a true point guard in this game which was nice. Aaron had 8 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, a block!, 3 turnovers, and 0 fouls. That's a line that we haven't seen for a while. Pinkney-esque in my opinion. Cut down on a couple TO's and we're in business.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
fortWorthJack
Great to get that first win of the season. Augustine really stepped up into the point position. I wonder who will be his backup. On another note, we are definitely building on last year and protecting the ball better. We really got to get enough depth inside to keep Gru off the court. Ivan's performance was poor; not quick enough to get separation and predictable when attacking.
nacluth
Definitely a dismal game for Canete and Niemenin. When Grujic who looks rough out there has a better game statwise then these two combined, it's not good. Just think of that...Jovan had a better game than 2 starters. This team has some good depth, but we need those two guys to bring it. I think then we will be a steamroller.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Comeaux was fun to watch. That dude has some hops.
sfa17
Solid win. We pulled away from Longwood in the second half like any good team should. Bogues, TJ, Harris and Augustine all looked great. Gilmore brought some fire from off the bench. Lets gets some more solid wins before we face Mississippi State on November 22.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Does anyone recall who predicted 40+ combined turnovers? That guy was smart.
We have no idea.
BigJack85
No comments here. I'm sure purple is fine with that.... I'm in Homer Bryce watching a sort of interesting football game.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
I thought Bogues was impressive. Didn't play much but he cashed in when he was there. We look a lot better this year than last at this point. We had some turnovers but not many from bad passes.
Gazette1
I think that Aaron may be able to do some scoring. He has a pretty good shot and he is very quick but I hope something gets worked out with Mack. He is a phenomenal prospect.
TallTexan
Gazette1 said:

I think that Aaron may be able to do some scoring. He has a pretty good shot and he is very quick but I hope something gets worked out with Mack. He is a phenomenal prospect.

This. I mainly want to see if he has a much talent as advertised. Whatever happens though, this will be a fun team to watch.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

No comments here. I'm sure purple is fine with that.... I'm in Homer Bryce watching a sort of interesting football game.
Haha, come on man you know your comments are welcome and accepted. We are all free to share any opinions.
MasterAxe
Game one overreactions:

We still turn it over way too much
We still foul way too much
We still force feed the post way too much
Sill lacking a guard that can shoot from outside

However, they looked a whole lot better.

Offense bogged down at times, but was generally smooth and, at a minimum, was active.

But, TJ and Kevon looked the part.

If Augustine can hit from the outside, he can be real dangerous.

Like Bogues' offense from the bench.

Jovan...nevermind.

Take the win.

SFAXE93
We a have pure shooter in Bogues, who went 6-8, the only two he missed was from 3.
INiedrauer
Staff
I'll be shocked if this game wasn't an anomaly from Ivan. He'll be that outside shooter as the season goes on.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Some of my thoughts:

I like most of what I saw. Defensive effort and intensity was great. When you play that aggressive you'll have more fouls, regardless of how bad the officials are (and they had some bad ones tonight). I'm not too concerned with any of the minutes for the first game, still a lot of unknowns. I think we'll see more minutes from Bogues. We have good depth, but I also think we need to see more from them before we get a set rotation. I want to see Comeaux run the point more to be comfortable when Augustin needs a rest. Aaron was solid tonight, 8 assists to 3 turnovers isn't terrible.

Kevon is a SLC POY type player. That is all.

Some of the turnovers were good looks and thoughts, others were just careless. A lot of that can be corrected with some more real game play together for these guys. We said that last year too though. 3-4 of the looks inside were good looks, just missed on the pass. Would have been easy buckets otherwise.

I'm not going to be hard on Canete. He had some bad fouls, a couple were questionable and at least one was just good defense that I wouldn't have called. Any time you have a starter out, it hurts the overall game. Nieminen had a rough game, missed some really easy looks. We've at least seen flashes from him. Grujic on the other hand, didn't look any different or improved tonight. I hate being continuously hard on him, but he just doesn't bring anything to the table for me. Too soft under the basket on both ends of the floor for a 7 footer. The two shots he had blocked...goodness. I'd like to see Fisher get some minutes there instead.

I think in a month or so, when everyone is healthy (hopefully) and we get some more games under our belts, we'll be really good. Definitely a quicker team overall than last year.

1-0

BigJack85
I was at Homer for the football game so can't comment on the BBall other than any road win is good especially a 13 point win.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
I'm still making Jovan for MVP signs for any nationally televised games.
SFAXE93
If you missed the game or just want to watch it again, it is on demand at the BIG SOUTH site.

http://bigsouthsports.com/watch/?Archive=5858

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.