SFA / Longwood

34,329 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nacluth
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We won by 6 in last minute last year at home. What's home court advantage worth in points? can we get a W?
BigJack85
No look,

If we can't get a win at Longwood something is deeply wrong. Longwood has ranked between 300 and 340 out of 345 teams for most of the last 3 years. This (Longwood) is absolutely one of the worst teams in D1 basketball. They have 9 newcomers and at times last year only had 6 players suited up.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Yep, we had real issues in that first game, and boy was it ugly. It was a battle to see who could be more inept. We just couldn't suck quite as bad as they did on our home court.

I'm going in positive that we will play with a little cohesion after a year in the system and at least a returning starting 5. Which I'm going to guess is Augustin, Kevon, Ivan, TJ, and Samuli with Leon and Mack coming off the bench first. I expect a 10 point margin win on account of first game jitters.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
No-look
I do think we get a win. Just factoring in things like our injuries, new guys not familiar with system etc. Maybe we can avoid the early turnovers that plagued us last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm going in positive that we will play with a little cohesion after a year in the system and at least a returning starting 5. Which I'm going to guess is Augustin, Kevon, Ivan, TJ, and Samuli with Leon and Mack coming off the bench first. I expect a 10 point margin win on account of first game jitters.
If we don't win by 15-20 then something's wrong!
nacluth
I would agree if it was mid season, but first game I'm willing to let them slide a little.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
We should clearly win and hopefully it isn't close. First game of the season so it might be a bit rocky in the beginning. First couple game should give us easy W's. Aaron, Ivan,Kevon, Gilmore and Tj
No-look
Would like to see Bogues and Mack have a good outing also. That's one of the main areas we need to solidify. Wouldn't surprise me if Bogues is high point in a lot of games this year.
LancersBlog
Here is our Q&A with Head Jack Isaac: https://lancersblog.com/eyes-of-the-enemy-sfa-edition-c6158c3b929

Happy to talk Longwood hoops if y'all have any questions.
SFA Jack Fanatic
LancersBlog said:

Here is our Q&A with Head Jack Isaac: https://lancersblog.com/eyes-of-the-enemy-sfa-edition-c6158c3b929

Happy to talk Longwood hoops if y'all have any questions.
Great Q&A. Thanks, Lancer Man! (A combined 40+ turnovers Saturday, Isaac?? Man, that would be double ugly!)
nacluth
Nice. Thanks for the write up. I pretty much see it like Isaac said, but who has the potential to play hero for Longwood?
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
LancersBlog
It's a totally different team. The only guys that played down in Nacogdoches last year will be Isaiah Walton, Damarion Geter, and Chris Shields.

BK Ashe is the real difference maker for us. He was an all-NEC player a few years ago and this will be the first time he's suited up for us. He can go for 20-30 points a night.

Frontcourt is a total mystery. It will be some combination of Geter, Shields, JaShaun Smith, Boaz Allen (Lamar transfer), Pernell Adgei, and Jahleem Montague.

The biggest thing I'll say is this team has the best attitude out of any team that we've had. They really seem focused on basketball and play for each other.
nacluth
Thanks. Attitude can make a difference. If they can buy in to a team mentality, they can overachieve. While we're definitely rooting for the other side this game, I wish y'all the best this season. It's only going to help both our teams if our opponents have good seasons.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
LancersBlog
Appreciate it nacluth!

Is Augustin supposed to play? I know Keller mentioned he was part of the crew that was banged up.
nacluth
I think we're all waiting to find out. I would expect him to, and Mack will be a good backup if not. Guess we'll find out in 3 days.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
Augustin will play and likely starts at point guard.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

ljax1979
Wow, Isaac. Glad to hear that Augustin is starting...sounds like Keller has really been impressed with his work ethic. Has Cameron Mack been as impressive as we've all hoped he would be? Do you know anymore about the expected starting line-up?
TallTexan
LancersBlog said:

Appreciate it nacluth!

Is Augustin supposed to play? I know Keller mentioned he was part of the crew that was banged up.
Hey Lancersblog, are there any restrictions on bags/cameras for the stadium?
LancersBlog
No, you should be good bringing that stuff in.
TallTexan
Awesome thanks! My wife and I have a small blog chronicling everywhere we go when we travel, so we like to get good photos on the DSLR instead of the smartphones.
INiedrauer
Staff
ljax1979 said:

Wow, Isaac. Glad to hear that Augustin is starting...sounds like Keller has really been impressed with his work ethic. Has Cameron Mack been as impressive as we've all hoped he would be? Do you know anymore about the expected starting line-up?
To be determined on Mack. Pressure is off him with the way Aaron is playing. Expectations for him should probably be eased a little bit too. At the end of the day, he's a freshman. High ceiling aside, he needs to fully buy in and coaches need to be able to trust him. Takes time.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

No look,

If we can't get a win at Longwood something is deeply wrong. Longwood has ranked between 300 and 340 out of 345 teams for most of the last 3 years. This (Longwood) is absolutely one of the worst teams in D1 basketball. They have 9 newcomers and at times last year only had 6 players suited up.
Sorry but this is the wrong way to look into any game, respectfully. There's no way to actually know if they are one of the worst teams in D1 if they have 9 newcomers.

My gut feeling all along was that Augustin should start, at least for the beginning of season at the minimum. Putting a true freshman in the starting 5 in the first game of their career is hard and a lot of pressure, especially at the PG position. Most coaches will opt for the experience, as would I. The fact that Aaron appears to be vastly improved makes me feel even better about that.

Will be interested to see the starting 5, and who's healthy enough to play. I'm going with:

Augustin
Canete
Harris
Gilmore
Holyfield
JustMe
Has something happened with Cam Mack? He is no longer listed on the Player Roster.
INiedrauer
Staff
JustMe said:

Has something happened with Cam Mack? He is no longer listed on the Player Roster.

Uhhh, let's just let it play out. There's a lot going on from what I understand and this could go several directions. I'll say this: Aaron and Comeaux are the point guards for Saturday. Mack appears to have some growing to do.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

sfa17
So Comeaux is health? That is good. Cam announced on Snapchat that he "will not be playin basketball this year so stop asking me."
No-look
Well, the roller coaster ride just took a dip.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

So Comeaux is health? That is good. Cam announced on Snapchat that he "will not be playin basketball this year so stop asking me."
Are you kidding me?!?!
sfa17
Nope. Hopefully he is exaggerating out anger or something. Who knows??
ljax1979
The joys of being a D1 basketball coach...first Gilmore now Mack...at least we're not stealing things in China like LiAngelo Ball and his buddies.
BigJack85
Your correct that my analysis is strictly conjecture at this point..... I don't believe it changes the fact that should we lose 5 or 6 non conference games it will require massive improvements throughout the season to have the kind of competitive team we all hope for. I don't have a crystal ball. No one does. We could lose to Longwood and then go on a run and win 25 of the next 29 and all of us would be ecstatic. I'm just hoping we start to build an identity this season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Nope. Hopefully he is exaggerating out anger or something. Who knows??
Just speculating here... Angry that he's not starting in the very first collegiate game of his life? If it is just a case of immaturity and not something more serious (and again, I'm just speculating) I sure hope he grows up fast and comes to his senses. We've been anxiously waiting a year to see the young man do his thing.
SFASawmillGuy
Judging from him being removed from the roster and the Snapchat update, it's fair to say we may not be seeing much Cameron Mack in 2017.
nacluth
Man I was excited to see what Mack could do, but I guess we'll just make do. On a side note, I need to get whoever runs the SFA B-ball website stuff to help me out. They are Johnny on the spot with taking down names from the roster page. Every time I need something done on my website, it's sit around and wait for it to get updated. It seems to me like a way to hurt feelings more than simple accuracy, but maybe that's just my fan self talking.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
Aaron isn't a scorer but if he has to handle the load it's a job he's earned. I have no idea what we'll see from him but I know he's worked his tail off to get better. He's been the first team option all along this fall and Mack's situation doesn't change much as far as what we'd see early this season.

And you know what? Trey Pinkney wasn't a scorer either. He was at his best when he scored 2 points per game and that may end up being Aaron's game as well.

One thing is certain: the hopes and dreams of this team were not resting on the shoulders of a freshman. Sometimes kids work out and sometimes they don't. I hope his situation reaches reconcilliation because he's as fast as anyone I've ever seen in WRJ, but if it doesn't, the program is a lot bigger than one kid.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

One thing is certain: the hopes and dreams of this team were not resting on the shoulders of a freshman. Sometimes kids work out and sometimes they don't. I hope his situation reaches reconcilliation because he's as fast as anyone I've ever seen in WRJ, but if it doesn't, the program is a lot bigger than one kid.
Well said, Isaac. Well said indeed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.