SFA / Alabama

28,038 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Walker only 4 minutes tonight, not sure about that.
MasterAxe
Sometimes these games happen. Not worried at all, effort never stopped. Played hard, just not good enough on offense.

Kevon looked rattled the whole game, first time in a long time he was outplayed.

Thought Roti played well, looked confident.

Thought Cam played well. He's a stud.

Outscored 33-12 from three. Not ideal.

It happens. Feel bad for the next team we play, they're in for a less than pleasant experience.

Bonus: if you took SFA +8.5, bad beat.
SFA Jack Fanatic
"Mama said there'll be days like this. There'll be days like this, my Mama said."

Our two losses have been to Big 10 and SEC teams. Nothing to be ashamed of.
jboy93
We all know our mission is to win the SLC tourney. Just a bad night for Kevon which won't happen often. Go Jacks!
SFASawmillGuy
This game hurt....
jboy93
We do have to work on getting beat at FT's and 3 pt's taken.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Kevon was 3 for 16.
sfa17
SFA_03 said:

This game hurt....
because just like rutgers it was a very winnable game. I would have taken 7-2 in a heartbeat if you asked me in the summer.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

This game hurt....
This game was nearly as tough to watch as it was to listen to.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kevon was 3 for 16.

Not surprised at all by that statline. Maybe his worst game in purple. That likely won't happen again.
No-look
They beat us at the three point line and free throw line. They had 25 points at the line....Announcer Said Kevon was as lost as a ball in high grass. Lol
sfajack05
I will say one thing about Keller. At least to me he seems more engaged this year, making adjustments, and fighting for the players.
PurpleOut
Staff
Credit to Bama tonight. They had a game plan to smother Kevon and clog the paint for him and Kensmil. And it worked. How they both didn't get more fouls called, that's a different story.

Bama may not be a good team, but they are not a bad team. Oats is a really good coach and will have them competing for the SEC in a year or so. Losing on the road to an SEC team is never a bad loss. We would have lost this game by 30 last year.

I thought we played pretty well composed all things considering. Our mental toughness will keep us in games all year, even on poor shooting nights.

See everyone next weekend.
PurpleOut
Staff
And yes I agree about Wimp Sanderson tonight, I thought it was disgraceful. If you're going to mention someone not playing well, that's fine. But to make disrespectful comments and make fun of players and their awards, there's no room for that. Why any network thinks it's a good idea to have an 82 year old on there is beyond me.
BigJack85
Really good analysis Purple. This team is just a couple of tweaks away from consistently playing at a high level. A little more depth. Developing.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MasterAxe
Google Wimp Sanderson and read why he lost his job at Alabama.

Seems like a swell fella.
Rev007
Painful to watch. I never had a root canal, but this game must be similar. As mentioned, Kevon was not focused. He let a non-foul call go to his head. Keller had him on the bench for an extended amount of time in the second half. John showed outstanding leadership, but he is not a point guard. He can't handle the ball well enough to beat his man, get into the lane, and dish off for an assist. Not many can, but our offense will be sub par if we can't get more penetration from our guards. John had a couple of nice 3 pointers and hustled as usual. Kensmil was a non-factor. I've never seen so many of our shots blocked.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

I've never seen so many of our shots blocked.

Bama had 8 blocks to our 0.
PurpleOut
Staff
Rev007 said:

Painful to watch. I never had a root canal, but this game must be similar. As mentioned, Kevon was not focused. He let a non-foul call go to his head. Keller had him on the bench for an extended amount of time in the second half. John showed outstanding leadership, but he is not a point guard. He can't handle the ball well enough to beat his man, get into the lane, and dish off for an assist. Not many can, but our offense will be sub par if we can't get more penetration from our guards. John had a couple of nice 3 pointers and hustled as usual. Kensmil was a non-factor. I've never seen so many of our shots blocked.

If that was a root canal for you, I don't know how you handled last season.

And I'll disagree on John, I think he's been great thus far. He could be better sure, but his ability to get to the bucket on transition AND finish, is outstanding.

One of our best forms of offense is our defense and pushing the ball...and that begins with John.
nacluth
If you had told me at the beginning of the season that we would win one of our three P5 games for the third season in a row AND I could pick which one, I would have chosen Duke hands down. Unlike the previous two seasons, we didn't happen to chip off the weakest of the three. We beat the best.

This was winnable. Rutgers was too. I'll trade them both for Duke, but these still hurt. It's a good hurt though. It's not the season is dying and players are leaving mid-season hurt like last year. It's the hurt of knowing you have high expectations. The most optimistic projections had us 7-2 after nine - with most realizing that might be a pipe dream. Yet here we are.

Keller and team have to get better. We're looking at a very long and dumb 20+ game SLC coming up. If we don't want a 15 seed we cannot afford to lose more than three games. For a 14, we realistically need to go 21-3 or better while winning the SLC tourney. This game needs to be the turning point. We've got to be a team.

Tonight we struggled with it. Let's get back and beat UL-Monroe, and get back to winning.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

Definitely don't want to be over confident here. Bama plays VERY fast and has some really good talent, and a really good coach. Just going to take them some time to put it together, which they haven't done yet.

You are the SFA prophet.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

If you combined Van Chancellor & Andy Griffith, you'd get Wimp Sanderson.

Best call of the night. Although I might have gone Van and Goober.
Lumberjack Battalion
W1964
Don't put lipstick on a pig. We played like crap.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

Sometimes these games happen. Not worried at all, effort never stopped. Played hard, just not good enough on offense.

Kevon looked rattled the whole game, first time in a long time he was outplayed.

Thought Roti played well, looked confident.

Thought Cam played well. He's a stud.

Outscored 33-12 from three. Not ideal.

It happens. Feel bad for the next team we play, they're in for a less than pleasant experience.

Bonus: if you took SFA +8.5, bad beat.

Why is this going to be a special season? Because 9 games in we get a spot on beautifully positive post from Master Axe that I 100% agree with. This is our year!
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

If you combined Van Chancellor & Andy Griffith, you'd get Wimp Sanderson.

Best call of the night. Although I might have gone Van and Goober.

Too accurate lol.
RedRiverLa
For me, last night 100% confirmed one big factor that was really already known, this will be the closest every team on our schedule comes to playing Duke. It's their moment to prove who they are. They all will be up for us because they all want the feather in their cap of beating the team that beat #1 Duke. Last night the announcers, Boss Hog and Sheriff Roscoe P Coltrane, mentioned the game 5 or 6 times between their lack of pronunciation knowledge and bashing Kevon. Bama was so pumped their threes were really off at first until they settled down into rhythm. Their shooters finally settled down and turned into makers. We've got enough talent to beat almost all on our schedule, but we're going to get their best simply because of the Duke factor...so bring it, because we still beat #1 Duke and you didn't.
Lumberjack Battalion
No-look
What's realistic for rest of the schedule? Can we go undefeated? Usually every conference winner drops a couple games. To me, it looks like us, Nichols, Sam and McNeese are the favorites?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

What's realistic for rest of the schedule? Can we go undefeated? Usually every conference winner drops a couple games. To me, it looks like us, Nichols, Sam and McNeese are the favorites?

I think it's easy to say that we're better than everyone else on the schedule from here on out. That doesn't mean we'll win out, a bad game/ridiculous game from the opponent will always sneak up on you. Running the table should never be expected, it's too hard to do.
SFA Jack Fanatic
W1964 said:

Yes, and yet we were within six points with less than a minute left to an SEC team. That speaks VOLUMES.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

That doesn't mean we'll win out, a bad game/ridiculous game from the opponent will always sneak up on you.

Yes. Like that game against UCA a couple of years ago when they hit about a bazillion threes that they normally miss. I agree that we're capable of winning out but it's not being realistic to think that that we will.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

W1964 said:

Yes, and yet we were within six points with less than a minute left to an SEC team. That speaks VOLUMES.
I really believe if this game had been at WRJ we win.
HJC69
Totally agree. "YOU'VE GOT TO BE A TEAM", We weren't against Rutgers or last night.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I wonder what the payday was for this game. Since we beat Duke, it may have been zero.
nacluth
It was a home and home.
Jacks4460
Noticed McDaniel didnt even travel with the team to Tuscaloosa... It was a fun game and a game we could of won if we could of gotten Kevon going on the offensive side of things... I was proud to be there wearing Purple even though we lost...Our goal is the SLC and making the tourney now with a SLC regular season and Tournament championship...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.