SFA / Alabama

27,756 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (7-1) vs. Alabama (3-4)

WHEN: DEC 6 (FRI) 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: Coleman Coliseum (Tuscaloosa, AL)
WATCH: SEC Network+

The SFA Lumberjacks are coming to the end of their non-conference schedule, and I think most people would consider this a successful campaign so far. The only blemish on their record is a hard fought loss at Rutgers that saw the Jacks compete well except for a four minute span in the second half where they gave up 12 points. It was one of the rare times this season where the Jacks have gone cold on offense. Depth and defensive continuity have been the strengths of this Lumberjacks team, and these will be tested against the best team that we will face the rest of the regular season - Alabama.

Throw the record books out the window. These two teams have probably the most deceptive schedules that you can find. On the purple side, The Jacks haven't played anyone right? Unless if you count that trap game extraordinaire against #1 Duke who was caught dreaming about their turkey and pie and Michigan State. Sure we've handled business with all the sub-250 ranked schools we've played, but no one cares. Die hard fans know that what they saw in that Duke game is indicative of how the Jacks actually play on a night-in, night-out basis, but we haven't faced enough good competition. We shouldn't be ranked; we won't be ranked. We haven't played enough top competition. (Personally I think it's good coming off last year, but with the promise of this team, I know some wish they were more battle tested.)

On the Crimson Tide side, all they have really played is solid competition except Florida Atlantic. They have a top 50 SOS as a P5 school when it's the small schools that have the tough schedules. (UNO has the toughest, HBU #2 so far. SFA:287.) Penn, Rhode Island, Furman, North Carolina, Iowa State, Southern Miss - 3 wins and 3 losses over that stretch. Don't think the Jacks would have done so well - especially with a first year coach. The Tide is starting to roll as a unit, and they will be tough.

Alabama is another young team. Led by Kira Lewis, Jr. (So. 6'3" G), John Petty, Jr. (Jr. 6'5" G) and Graduate transfer James Bolden (6'0" G), this is a guard heavy team. They have some young players with size, but they try to beat you outside and then to the bucket with speed. They can play press and zone well, and when they go small (which is often), they have decent man-to-man pressure. They lack a consistent interior defense, but they have played a lot of teams that like to go to the bucket. They have been tested. They know who we are. This is not a trap game.

Statistically after the Arlington Baptist game, SFA was the national leader in three categories: steals, forced turnovers, and two point buckets. Think about that for a second. We take the ball away the most, and we score the most from close. Incredible. Alabama is not a leader in any statistical category. They are not even in the top 100 except for 3 pointers made. They are THE average team. Nothing terrible, nothing good. On paper, the Jacks should roll through the Crimson Tide. This is not a paper game. This is about who has more heart: a program who is sick and tired of teams coming into their house and winning or a team that wants to prove that they are not a fluke.

SFA must continue their defensive dominance. Alabama is going to try to keep us out of the paint. We cannot go cold like we did in the Rutgers game. They cannot have their statistically anomalous good shooting night. Alabama's football team is blessedly gone for the season. Let's help put this basketball season to rest for them as well.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Their weakness is our strength. Bama turns the ball over 18.3 times a game. The Tide force 13.9 a game. Bama is also giving up almost 20 points a game off of turnovers. Not good when facing a team that thrives on that...

They want to play guard heavy? Fine. I will take our perimeter defense any day of the week.

Alabama is spectacularly mediocre. This should be a win for us.
No-look
According to ESPN indicators we have a 22.2 percent chance of winning. Time to prove them wrong.
PurpleOut
Staff
Definitely don't want to be over confident here. Bama plays VERY fast and has some really good talent, and a really good coach. Just going to take them some time to put it together, which they haven't done yet.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Definitely don't want to be over confident here. Bama plays VERY fast and has some really good talent, and a really good coach. Just going to take them some time to put it together, which they haven't done yet.
Absolutely! We are going to have to play at almost a Duke game level to win. Not counting on the help we got from Duke at the free throw line.
Rev007
Great preview Ryan!

If we are focused on defense and create 25 or so turnovers, we will be victorious. We need this victory to ride the wave of national notoriety. It won't be nearly as special as the win over Duke, but we need to remain in the headlines because publicity will soon fade as we play our weak conference schedule. This is crucial to the recruiting process.

A win over Alabama, win the Southland Conference tournament, and get at least one victory in the NCAA tournament and we should be in a good position to snag some high profile recruits, assuming we have room on our team.

This game reminds me of the Missouri game a couple of years ago. We had already beaten LSU and Louisiana Tech, and we just barely got beat by Missouri as we turned the ball over on our last possession. This year, let's seal the deal!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Great post Ryan....everyone needs to realize this won't be easy by any stretch. SEC school on their home court and they know we took down Duke so they will be ready. If we play a lot more like we did against Duke and a lot less that we did vs Rutgers then we have a good shot. Definitely another feather in our cap if we take bama down.
Let's do this
cboothe09
I'll leave it at this. I was floating through some of their fan boards earlier and they are all very thankful for A&M this year. If A&M isnt as bad as they are, Alabama is the worst team in the SEC.
Yes, they are a P5 team with P5 talent, but IMO, this team is no better than Rutgers. They are weak with the ball and don't force a lot of turnovers. We can't take them lightly, but i do feel we are definitely the better team.
TallTexan
I'm absolutely surprised at the start these two teams have had. They've hired good coaches.

I do wish we had A&M on the schedule. I'd absolutely love to put a hurting on them.
cboothe09
A&M is beyond terrible. Worst P5 team in America. Shocked because i do think Buzz Williams is a very good coach. Bama hasn't been as bad, but they haven't looked great. I watched the Furman game and you could definitely see a huge sigh of relief late when Furman started to lose it
sfa17
Both Bama and A&M have new coaches and it will take them time to implement there system onto the school.
nacluth
Why is it not game day yet?
Rev007
Isn't that tomorrow?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Why is it not game day yet?
The Calendar is conspiring against us.
No-look
They getting up for us.
RichieVan
Alabama is an 11 point favorite
BigJack85
Surprised it's 11. Although we were only 5 point favorite against Arkansas St and we beat them by 19. We've been beating the spread all year.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
11? I'd put money on that one.
No-look
Is SECN+ a pay for view?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?
If you have the SEC Network you should be able to watch via WatchESPN.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?
I have the SEC network with direct tv. WatchESPN shows it to be secn+ Do I have to subscribe? And can I watch it on my smart tv?
nacluth
Game day!!!!

(Last time we took down an SEC team)
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
From the opposition's perspective:

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2019/12/duke-slayer-comes-to-alabama-with-wildly-unique-brand-of-hoops.html
nacluth
Definitely feel like tonight is a statement game. A struggling P5 team who knows who we are. This is the kind of game we have to win if we want to be considered as good as we think. If not, we have 20+ games of SLC play to talk about the direction of the program. It's not make or break, but I think there is a huge amount riding on tonight's outcome.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?
I have the SEC network with direct tv. WatchESPN shows it to be secn+ Do I have to subscribe? And can I watch it on my smart tv?
Shouldn't have to subscribe to anything. Just have to log in to WatchESPN with your cable provider login. Then you can watch where you can get the app.
Rev007
Would love to hear a quote from the Alabama coach after the game. It should go something like this:

"They (SFA) are who we thought they were."
nacluth
Another Alabama preview:
https://news.tidefans.com/2019/12/06/tide-and-lumberjacks-offer-clashing-styles-of-breakneck-play/
SFA Jack Fanatic
The article says "a decimated Alabama team" but provides no details.
Rev007
East bound and down!
nacluth
Ed, Reading way too many articles about this Alabama team, what they are referring to is their injuries. Their point guard and a top forward have been held out of practice this week due to nagging issues. They also lost two players before the first game with season ending issues. Arguably they have been playing their best ball as of late even if the wins haven't come, so take it with a grain of salt.
purpleballs
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?
Shouldn't have to subscribe to anything. Just have to log in to WatchESPN with your cable provider login. Then you can watch where you can get the app.

Do you know if there's an option to start it from the beginning? Probably won't be able to get to it till around 8.
nacluth
Typically not while it's streaming. Almost immediately after the game is over you can watch the replay though.
PurpleOut
Staff
purpleballs said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?

Do you know if there's an option to start it from the beginning? Probably won't be able to get to it till around 8.
Not that I am aware of, not while the game is still live.
TallTexan
purpleballs said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?

Ok, so no promises this'll work, but I just tried it on my phone on the Swim invitational that's currently live. Turn on the game, immediately hit pause, then drag the red play bar that shows how far you are into the broadcast back to the very beginning.

I have no idea what'll happen when the broadcast ends. Also remember to turn off notifications on your sports apps.

It'd be easier if ESPN put in Fox's "watch from beginning" feature.

PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

purpleballs said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

Is SECN+ a pay for view?

Ok, so no promises this'll work, but I just tried it on my phone on the Swim invitational that's currently live. Turn on the game, immediately hit pause, then drag the red play bar that shows how far you are into the broadcast back to the very beginning.

I have no idea what'll happen when the broadcast ends. Also remember to turn off notifications on your sports apps.

It'd be easier if ESPN put in Fox's "watch from beginning" feature.

Interesting. I tried the same for a live women's game and it appears to work like that too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.