SFA / Duke

81,980 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What an incredibly special game for Lumberjack Nation. It's been 36 hours since the game ended, and I'm still thinking about it, more so than Thanksgiving. So, what did we learn from this miraculous victory?

For sure, we have a team of clutch players. It's not just Kevon and a bunch of scrubs. After a huge 20 point first half, Duke effectively took Kevon out of the game and challenged someone else to beat them, and WE DID!

I don't want to leave anyone out, but I'm going by a sometimes faulty memory. Let's start with Kensmil. Here's a guy who was labeled as hands of stone or butter fingers after his Lumberjack debut. However, he's been anything but bad hands lately. Even though he is blessed with a wide frame, he is considered undersized in college basketball because of his height. Yet, he went up against 6'10" Carey and held his own. Didn't Kensmil lead us in assists? Additionally, he played well after picking up his 4th foul with several minutes left in regulation.

How about Cameron Johnson? Along with John and Gavin, Cam is becoming one of my favorites. The guy plays hard, has a great attitude, and has been a terrific addition to our team. I jumped up and yelled when he dunked in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Another clutch player is David Kachelries. He hasn't seen much playing time this year and has repeatedly been yanked off the floor each time he makes a mistake. When John couldn't play because of cramps, David entered the game and did a fantastic job handling the ball. Moreover, he made a clutch 3 point shot with less than two minutes left in regulation that put us up by 1.

The most clutch of all, against Duke, was BAIN! He's been a starter since the season began, but his minutes on the floor are limited, not sure why. I love how he dunked on Duke during regulation, how he contorted his body in a serpentine maneuver and scored in the lane against two defenders, and how he galloped down the court like Secretariat toward the finish line. Who on Earth has the composure and focus to make a layup with .1 second remaining to win the game? BAIN proved he is exactly the reason why we support this team through thick and thin.

In closing, I believe in Divine intervention. As we all have heard, the Lord moves in mysterious ways. Take it any way you want, but I'm so happy BAIN was instrumental in donations increasing for his father's church and school which were severely damaged by the destruction of Hurricane Dorian.

We will always remember this momentous victory. Similarly, Duke fans who didn't know anything about SFA now know that Stephen F. Austin men's basketball team plays with grit and never surrenders. If they researched a little before the game, Duke fans would have found out that Stephen F. Austin was Father of Texas. After the game, they found out that Stephen F. Austin is "Duke's Daddy!!!"
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
Everything you said. Hopefully a bit of a breakout game for Kachelries. That three was clutch. Also, loved the defensive effort from Ware. He will gain confidence and start knocking his jumpers down.

Most importantly, I think every player on the team has bought in to the system and seem to be embracing their role. Of course they all want to play significant minutes, but I don't see anyone pouting when they don't get them.
djsfw57
Does anyone have a recording of the game? I've been in the hospital since Oct. 14 and only got to listen on the radio. I'll be glad to pay for a copy.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Whoa djsfw, I hope you are in recovery and wish you well......figure someone on here will be able to help you out with a copy or perhaps on line someplace.
nacluth
I'm not ashamed to say I've rewatched it a couple times. If you have (or know someone who has) a Fox provider login, you can watch the replay through the FoxSportsGo.
sfa17
I found this online. It start at the end of the first half.i would download it if u can bc it will be taken down soon. Also May have a million ads in it

djsfw57
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Thank you. Went in for outpatient gallbladder removal that went seriously wrong. Dr nicked a bile duct that leaked ecoli into my system and I got sepsis. Only gave me a 25% chance of surviving the weekend. Still fighting, but much better now. Sadly I was paralyzed from my neck down, but am getting stronger and learning to walk again. I have a very long road ahead of me, but I'm a fighter and zGod is blessing me!

Whoa djsfw, I hope you are in recovery and wish you well......figure someone on here will be able to help you out with a copy or perhaps on line someplace.
sfa17
i also found the West Virginia game if you want to relive walkup's greatness
nacluth
Terrible to hear. I'm glad to know that we didn't lose you. We'll be praying for you and hope that your recovery goes well. For sure watch the end of the game. It will do your heart good.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Sorry for hard times you are having but tell you what...you fight it the way SFA fought Duke and you will come through with flying colors. All the best to you.
djsfw57
Thank you for the prayers and good wishes. This is one game I WILL win!
No-look
What a game! Total team and coaching effort. We done a lot of little things right. What about that Jack defense? A few things worth noting,

1.Kevon being a beast
Other players stepping up the second half when they keyed on him
2. Gavin outplaying NBA talent
3. Roti making the defensive play of the year at the end
4. Kachelries making Duke pay for trying a zone
5. Keller went zone to keep from fouling, but quickly changed back to man( good move)
6. Bain, well, you know

One thing that will know now is that we can play with anyone. We won't be intimidated against anyone.
I want to see some game highlights on the big screen Monday night. Looking for a huge crowd. Also isn't it time for an SFA post game interview with Keller and players? And where's the "What we have learned" write up from the game? I'm trying to mainline this stuff. Lol
SFASawmillGuy
I think we broke Duke! They barely beat Winthrop tonight 83-70.
purpleballs
Started watching that game then asked myself if I'm going to watch Duke, then I'm gonna put our game on. First time I watched from the start to ending on the tv broadcast. Heart rate still went up at the end. I think we will see the ending of the game at the ESPY awards show. Don't know all the categories but this has to be up for play of the year. What it did to Bain's GoFundMe is incredible.
No-look
Bain got the "air ball" treatment from the fans earlier. I think he totally redeemed himself at the end. Lol
Ballwatch
Kevon with the last second lay up vs La Tech, Bogues with the last second lay up vs Baylor, and the biggest one yet, Bain with the last second layup vs Duke! The Jacks sure have a NAC for these kind of wins! The highlight reels keep getting better
LUMBERJACK2005
This tweet from Demiere (or however you spell it, don't really care anymore) Brown, kind of pissed me off. Not sure I'd go to anymore games if I was a student and one of the players said this. I understand to an extent what he's trying to say, but it still bothers me:

"Everybody @ sfa talkin bout sum we beat duke ....I ain't see nun y'all at boot camp "

Pilotgirl
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

This tweet from Demiere (or however you spell it, don't really care anymore) Brown, kind of pissed me off. Not sure I'd go to anymore games if I was a student and one of the players said this. I understand to an extent what he's trying to say, but it still bothers me:

"Everybody @ sfa talkin bout sum we beat duke ....I ain't see nun y'all at boot camp "

He's a kid. Not too worried about it. He's out this seaspn anyway. I'm sure he will appreciate our fanbase soon.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

He's a kid. Not too worried about it. He's out this seaspn anyway. I'm sure he will appreciate our fanbase soon.
Agree with Pilotgirl on this. You can't tell from the tweet what the real emotion was behind it. Probably expressing some frustration that he went through the tough preseason, then got hurt and can't play. He did get called out in some of the comments. Note the laughing, crying emojis. Here is the tweet:
TallTexan
I personally thought he was being funny and his reply to me about me "retweeting all the boot camp tweets" was along those lines.

Anyways, he's not throwing any shade at Purple Haze or people on this board.

And let's be honest, I saw enough "finally proud to be a Lumberjack" or "wish I had known they were this good" type posts that it's fair to throw some shade at the lukewarm supporters of the university.
SFA Jack Fanatic
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

His comment doesn't bother me at all. He's just saying that the Jacks put in a lot of long hours, pain, and agony during the summer and preseason to get as good as they are and that the Duke game was a result of all that. I agree with him. No big deal.
purpleballs
nacluth said:

Any pics from people in the building?

This was asked before the game. I'm not really into social media but is there somewhere that people have posted their original pics from the game. Would be nice to see others pics. I have some I could share.
nacluth
Please share
purpleballs
nacluth said:

Please share
I'll see what I can do later. Wife took most of pics and she's not here. I've got to get to football game also. I was right across from bench so I've got our crowd reaction.

No idea how to add a pic
PurpleOut
Staff
Here are a few of my pics:

I have a few videos, I'll try to see if I can upload later. I did share this one on Twitter though.

PurpleOut
Staff
At Cameron, Section 19 extends down the entire court behind both benches. I walked in on the opposite side (Duke bench), and I don't think the rest of our fans realized they could do this, because you get to walk down the court to get to your seats. One of the best parts of the nights, blown away from the first second. Almost didn't have time to get my phone out.

Wish I would have recorded this longer, but was getting ready to live stream the intros.

Here are the intros, this was a live stream on my Facebook that I just re-recorded, so the quality isn't as good.

purpleballs
Those are some great pics.
No-look
Thanks Purple Out for the pics and videos!
nacluth
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lumberjacks-have-done-it-no-1-duke-goes-down-at-home/id1051432354?i=1000458028708

Good first 10 minutes.
nacluth

Getting some more stuff up, so I will remember.
nacluth
Kevon's buckets.

SFAXE93
wahlwesle
No-look
Yep!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.