SFA / Duke

81,250 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (4-1) vs. Duke (6-0)

WHEN: NOV 26 (TUE) 8:00 P.M.
WHERE: Cameron Indoor Stadium (Durham, NC)
WATCH: Fox Sports SW

So, here we are. It's the game that got everyone excited about this season - Duke. In Cameron.

Like when Keller was able to get the Jacks into Rupp to play Kentucky, seeing our Lumberjacks take on the most storied programs in college basketball brings a thrill. There's a magical "what if" hiding down in your heart. Goals, hopes, and dreams have been high since Des chunked up his desperation three down by 4 points with seconds left. And we won. They got higher when Walkup stuck out his tongue in the face of America after thrashing the #3 seed West Virginia. Do you think three and a half years later that SFA fans have stopped thinking about what could have been in the final five seconds of the Notre Dame game? We're still dreaming.

Your friends that wear orange or maroon might say, "That was in the past. New coach, new team. Those days are gone." But those of us in purple know that while it may now just be an ember in our heart, the spark is still ready to come alive. Down by 4 with seconds left. It can't be done. IT CAN. The fire can come ablaze and change the course of an entire program. Facing Duke, the #1 team in the nation, on their home court. It can't be done...

Duke is a freshman team. Go look at their roster- plenty of juniors. Freshmen lead this team. They've beaten #3 Kansas, destroyed Cal, handled Georgetown. They laughed their way through a 51 point rout of Central Arkansas. They don't know who SFA is, and they don't care. Just another faceless team to destroy for Duke basketball. They think they are invincible, but they turnover the ball, they are poor at shooting free throws, and the stats say they are just ok at shooting from anywhere. They are dominant on the offensive glass, they can force turnovers, and their perimeter defense is good.

What Duke has not faced yet is being on the wrong side of the game. They have never taken a punch in the mouth that they weren't expecting. They have never been down. A couple points to Kansas and Georgetown - that's just basketball. They have never been outhustled, manhandled on the inside, frustrated and picked at. They have never played SFA.

To be frank, the Jacks probably don't yet have the chemistry and the confidence to take down the Blue Devils. Rotations and consistency are still trouble for this young team. They are good, and they can play with confidence when they smell blood. But, they can also seem to struggle with pressure instead of thriving on it. Maybe, it will be up to one of our freshmen to lead the way. Get some points falling, get those steals. Maybe this is the game that Roti shows why he is a starter. Maybe Kensmil flips the script on his 6' 10" counterpart Vernon Carey Jr.

This is the "what if?" game. This is the game to dream. This is a game where your heart doesn't finish that four letter word - can't. It catches in your throat when you see that last ball go up, and all you can do is scream.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
MasterAxe
I hold no illusions of grandeur. They are considerably better with a roster full of eventual NBA players.

If we're within 25, I'd be thrilled.
purpleballs
MasterAxe said:

I hold no illusions of grandeur. They are considerably better with a roster full of eventual NBA players.

Well I was all fired up after reading the original post and then you go and ruin it for me
Ljacks&Longnecks
To me Kentucky, Duke and a couple of others are not what college basketball should be about...they are just used as a minor league step to the NBA. These one and done kids are NOT college athletes, they are just using and being used by the system. I'm sure many will disagree but that's the way I see it and why my interest in college ball is limited to SFA.

That said I think Master is spot on in his post, no illusions and just hope we show better than UCA did.
Jacks4460
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

To me Kentucky, Duke and a couple of others are not what college basketball should be about...they are just used as a minor league step to the NBA. These one and done kids are NOT college athletes, they are just using and being used by the system. I'm sure many will disagree but that's the way I see it and why my interest in college ball is limited to SFA.

That said I think Master is spot on in his post, no illusions and just hope we show better than UCA did.
You are spot on L&L NBA minor leagues.. alot of these kids that are 1 and done type players dont even go to class, if they do its some bs class...
nacluth
purpleballs said:

MasterAxe said:

Well I was all fired up after reading the original post and then you go and ruin it for me
Thanks purpleballs. I was digging deep to get Sawmillers fired up for this game. I'm glad I got you for a brief moment before cold reality set in - in the very next post.

Axe 'em anyway!
PurpleOut
Staff
Just saw that the game is going to be aired on Fox Sports as well. Check your listings, it should be available for everyone.
nacluth
Yep! FSSW will be showing it.

Now if only I hadn't scheduled the first flight for my three daughters ever to travel to Chicago over the exact 2.5 hours of this game, I would be a super happy man. If someone could do me the favor of updating the score in the game thread, I would appreciate it reading through it later. Like at the media timeouts. Thanks.
jboy93
Are you saying the game will be on FoxSports Southwest? I just looked and it shows the Mavs playing at the same time?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Heck, I hold illusions of grandeur! It won't be over 'til it's over.

IF our guards can cause havoc...

IF we can hit some timely threes and prevent Duke from doing the same...

IF Kensmil and Daniels can hold their own in the paint...

IF our own excellent freshmen can play like we know they can....

We can shock the college hoops world!

#AxeEm

nacluth

Here's a shot from my Fox Sports Go app. It shows both as FSSW. I don't know if one is only going to be streaming or not. But if you get one, you should be able to get the other with your provider.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Heck, I hold illusions of grandeur! It won't be over 'til it's over.

IF our guards can cause havoc...

IF we can hit some timely threes and prevent Duke from doing the same...

IF Kensmil and Daniels can hold their own in the paint...

IF our own excellent freshmen can play like we know they can....

We can shock the college hoops world!

#AxeEm

Forever the optimist...I'm with ya though! The JACKS shock the world!!!
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93 said:

Are you saying the game will be on FoxSports Southwest? I just looked and it shows the Mavs playing at the same time?
Yeah, it may depend on your cable package, and how many FS channels you have. Here in Dallas the Mavs game is on, but we'll be on FS Oklahoma.

No-look
It shows channel 676-1 to carry it at 8:00. That's with direct TV. I set it to record so it must be going to air.
SteelAxe
Hulu shows sfa game available not mavs game
No-look
Duke most likely will will come out with a full court press. We have to beat it. They pressed Central Arkansas almost all the game and CA folded. We beat the pressure and apply pressure of our own and have a good shooting night we keep it respectful. Let's shock the world!
jboy93
John has to have another "game" of his life and Roti HAS to step up and deliver! I also want to see Kensmil dominate with his mass!
BigJack85
Got it on reminder. Not sure if I want to watch this........ still I will be optimistic!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
The start is critical to making this game respectable. Unfortunately, that is something we seem to not do well. If we are behind 20-4 at the ten minute mark, it could be ugly.
nacluth
Game day!!!!

If there's ever a time to post this:

Devils lose!
RichieVan
YouTube has a free five day trial for YouTube TV which include the ACC Network. Sign up for that and cancel after tonight.

UPDATE: They only show ACC Network, not ACC Network Extra, which is the channel the Jacks will be on.

Latest line: Jacks getting 28.5 points
sfajack05
I took the Jacks at +28.5. I'll be getting an extra egg roll at Jack in the Box tomorrow when they cover.
tangerito
Suddenlink website channel lineup shows the Jacks on channel 38. The guide on my TV shows NBA game...Duh
tangerito
The game before SFA on the TV Listing online is on channel 39. My guide says Tennis
Hopefully this will work
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfajack05 said:

I took the Jacks at +28.5. I'll be getting an extra egg roll at Jack in the Box tomorrow when they cover.
An egg rroll? That must have been a whopper of a bet.
SFA Jack Fanatic
While you're waiting for the tipoff....

Northwestern State vs. ULM is playing on ESPN+. Two future opponents.
sfajack05
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfajack05 said:

HUGE!

Also I just really like their egg rolls.
Pilotgirl
sfajack05 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfajack05 said:

HUGE!

Also I just really like their egg rolls.

Give me an egg roll (or 3) from Peking in Nac any day!
nacluth
Any pics from people in the building?
Ballwatch
RichieVan said:

YouTube has a free five day trial for YouTube TV which include the ACC Network. Sign up for that and cancel after tonight.

UPDATE: They only show ACC Network, not ACC Network Extra, which is the channel the Jacks will be on.

Latest line: Jacks getting 28.5 points

I got the free trial and see it starting on Fox Sports Southwest Plus! So YouTube TV should work for me
jboy93
Saw some purple in the crowd...let's get ready to rumble!
jboy93
Nate starting?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here we go......
SFA Jack Fanatic
Full court press.
jboy93
The lead!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.