SFA / Rutgers

25,750 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

Still really optimistic about this team. We have to somehow figure out why we can start cold and go cold during the games for long periods. If we get that fixed, the possibilities are through the roof! Now to figure out the best way to keep it respectable against Duke.
GO JACKS!

Maybe I should ask this on the Recruiting forum, but what can we expect from the PG that we'll be getting from TJC next year, Jboy, since you're an insider there? What do the TJC coaches say about him? How has he performed so far this year?
. Good question. Also isn't Posey a pg?
jboy93
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

jboy93 said:

Still really optimistic about this team. We have to somehow figure out why we can start cold and go cold during the games for long periods. If we get that fixed, the possibilities are through the roof! Now to figure out the best way to keep it respectable against Duke.
GO JACKS!

Maybe I should ask this on the Recruiting forum, but what can we expect from the PG that we'll be getting from TJC next year, Jboy, since you're an insider there? What do the TJC coaches say about him? How has he performed so far this year?
. Good question. Also isn't Posey a pg?
Let me do my due diligence and I will get back with you Fanatic. I haven't had a chance to see them yet this year. Still running all over the country with high school football. Will be in your neck of the woods tomorrow at NRG stadium for our second round game!
Rev007
Wow! I think I might have wasted $10 for a month subscription to BTN+. Well, not really. I learned a lot about our team. First, the positives:

We are really active defensively and have proven we can create turnovers. Secondly, we are a deep team. Lastly, our team seems to have a good attitude which contrasts vastly with last year's squad.

Now, the negatives. John is the epitome of a tough, fearless, defensive stalwart, but he is not the point guard that will regularly break down opposing defenses, penetrate the lane, and dish to the open shooter. Neither is Kevon. I'm sure many of us were disappointed with the lack of a coherent offense in which ball movement is the key...however, the ball needs to end up in the hands of shooters. Who are the best shooters on our team? Undoubtably, Kevon, Roti (waiting to see it), and possibly Oddyst. These guys need to be constantly working on getting open. Iso ball ruins this concept.

This begs the question, who do we have that can play the point guard position? John is certainly serviceable in that role, but I think he would be better in a backup role. Kevon is a walking turnover when he has the ball. I remember last year when our two best players (Kevon and Shannon) played iso ball and rarely got an open shot. Roti is more of a shooting guard. David can shoot the ball, but can he make the right pass? I'm not convinced he is a point, and his defense is not stellar.

I'm hoping that Kharee McDaniel is given the opportunity to run the offense. He has the ball handling ability and plays elite defense. He should at least get some meaningful minutes.
nacluth
There's been several asking for more Kharee time. I've seen him in three meaningful minutes so far. He looked like a good player but like a freshman. There's not a harder spot to transition to from HS than PG. It not only exposes the player, it exposes the team.

I remember Keller's first year he moved Dallas to point just to protect Aaron. We didn't have enough players to cover point so Aaron got a lot more time. There was a noticeable drop when Aaron played initially. He wasn't good until his sophomore year even though he was a high school stud.

Underwood got Pinkney in his sophomore year after sitting much of his freshman year under Kaspar.

Kharee's time is coming, but I don't see it being more than 3-5 minutes for quite a while.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well Nacluth is likely correct on his take on McDaniel, that leaves John and David K at PG. Then there is always the concern of John staying healthy, he has been through so much injury wise. Hopefully we can make it work this year. Defense looks much improved, Solomon is a hit, depth is an asset. Just need to get more scorers to get into their role.
SFAJack_76
Some right on PG comments. As I have shouted, PG is the most important position on the team.

I think McDaniel has the potential. He is a true freshman and he is "banged up." True freshmen almost never provide quality, meaningful minutes at the PG spot.

Kevon is okay for a change of pace, but he turns the ball over when he goes one on everybody.

I had hope for Kachelries, but haven't seen it yet. If I recall correctly, his assist numbers in Juco were really good. Ware, Johnson, and Oddyst are SG's.

So, that leaves Comeaux. Love the guy's grit and determination. I was encouraged by the assists against Drexel. I wonder how many more assists he would have gotten last night if anyone had shot reasonably decent.
TallTexan
I think Kalchyries will grow into the role. At Jack Madness he was dishing out some Pistol Pete style passes.

On Comeaux, I think he adds so much when he's on the court, but his offensive game thrives in fast break or drive to the basket. If we can setup a few plays where we can dish the ball back to him off a screen or a backdoor cut, we could really tear it up. I've been super excited to see John be a leader on & off the court though. That's huge for a team that was lacking them last year. And he plays defense like a pitbull.

BigJack85
What I saw looks like Kalchyries is part of the point guard solution. Beyond that the one thing that stood out to me after watching pieces of it over again. If we shoot like this last year we would have lost by 30. Defense kept us in it. Our defense is starting to return to form and if it does I see only three squads that will give us trouble in the SLC, Sam, UNO and Nicholls. If we get some real production out of Kensmil we could be dangerous.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
Would have looked nice on our resume.

No-look
Probably their win over SFA was the deciding factor to boost them into the top 25. Right?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Probably their win over SFA was the deciding factor to boost them into the top 25. Right?

Without a doubt!
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Would have looked nice on our resume.

Our lone "stinker" A&M CC. Take away that train wreck and our two loses would be #15 RPI and a mid 50's RPI. Pretty solid resume. If we can close with only a loss or two we are probably a 13-14 seed if we win the tournament.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.