SFA / Rutgers

25,922 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My take away from this game (even tho game is almost over) They play as a team. Our team last year never did and certainly not this early.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Back door is a 4-letter word.
nacluth
Baylor was down 8 with 3:30 left, and we know how that turned out. Three strong possessions boys!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Keep this in perspective, guys. We're playing a Big 10 team, not UIW or HBU.
cboothe09
A bad Big 10 team...

That said, this is our first road trip of the year...We will be fine, but this win sure would be nice....
nacluth
Kachelries should not be our 3 point shooter. Let's get some at the end.
nacluth
Down 11 with 2:29.
cboothe09
Live Stats ahead of radio...That is the WORST
nacluth
down 7 with 1:20
SFA Jack Fanatic
The difference in this game was Rutgers hitting threes that they normally don't make, and we can't hit them when we needed to.
KirkHeath12
Well we covered the spread
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFAXE93
The 3-Pointer (The great equalizer)
purpleballs
We did at least cover the spread, right?
nacluth
Well, it's only a disappointing loss because it was so winnable. Defense played great for about 30 minutes. Offense played great for 3.

I was personally disappointed that our offensive scheme did not cycle through like we have been doing the past couple of games. We fed inside a bunch which was fine, but besides that it was iso ball with Comeaux and Harris. The nice thing is that if we can hit some buckets, we might be a surprise for Duke.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Slow start and no 3s will not beat too many teams. Plus bad FT shooting in 2nd half. Disappointing night.
sfa17
Horrible shooting night. Not gonna beat good teams playing like that. I agree with other posts. Very winnable game if 2 more players showed up, John was a beast
PurpleOut
Staff
Disappointing, but not a big deal really. We're a much better shooting team than we displayed tonight. We'll want that game back, we know that was a beatable team.
nacluth
Got to down 4 with 14 minutes left. Then let Rutgers go on a 12-0 run over the next four. Terrible play in that four minutes. Game difference was those four minutes.

Solomon played incredible defense tonight. His 5th with four minutes left hurt any last push.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

Disappointing, but not a big deal really. We're a much better shooting team than we displayed tonight. We'll want that game back, we know that was a beatable team.

Agree. A poor night but nothing that is too concerning. Certainly no chaos like last year. And really not that big a deal, but a learning experience. We've got more good wins ahead of us this year than games like this.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
No-look
I kept waiting for us to make a good run. Shots weren't falling and you can credit some of that to Rutgers defense but not all. The quick start that Rutgers got off to was the difference....If any team wants To up their 3 point percentage just schedule us. We can make them fall for you. Lol
wahlwesle
nacluth said:

Well the more I think about it, I believe that this will be the tale of two games. If we play like we played against Niagara and Rutgers played like they did, we lose. If we play like we did against Drexel and Rutgers play like they did, we win.

The former describes this game to a T.
nacluth
Kensmil with a solid double-double was the rock of the team. 11 pts., 10 rebs. 4 stl., 1 blk.

Comeaux played a massive game offensively with 14 points on a terrible team shooting night. However, our main point guard had 0 assists and 1 steal. I would trade most of those points for more assists, but sometimes it's what the night gives you.

Harris goes 6-16 which isn't bad, but everyone besides those listed went 5-21. Not enough distribution and definitely not enough accuracy. Credit Rutgers with their defensive scheme. Their bigs caused problems, but that wasn't what caused our loss.

13 first half forced TO's - 6 second half. Lost a little intensity. Cam especially seemed out of his element. Maybe it's just first big game jitters for our guys.
BigJack85
No-look said:

I kept waiting for us to make a good run. Shots weren't falling and you can credit some of that to Rutgers defense but not all. The quick start that Rutgers got off to was the difference....If any team wants To up their 3 point percentage just schedule us. We can make them fall for you. Lol

If there has been one thing consistent about Keller , it is that his teams have tended to start slowly. Not every match but often.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
HJC69
Who should be our three point shooter?
TallTexan
No-look said:

Listening on the radio, it felt like the refs stopped the game every 30 seconds. Harder to put together a run with so many breaks in action.

Oh well, hopefully we saved our good shooting night for Duke.
MasterAxe
That was a Danny Kaspar special.

Elite level D...not elite level O. Combined score barely breaks 100.

But, we played poorly and were still in it.

I'm good with the result.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Got to down 4 with 14 minutes left. Then let Rutgers go on a 12-0 run over the next four. Terrible play in that four minutes. Game difference was those four minutes.

Solomon played incredible defense tonight. His 5th with four minutes left hurt any last push.

How is that kid a freshman? Big win on the recruiting trail last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Listening on the radio, it felt like the refs stopped the game every 30 seconds. Harder to put together a run with so many breaks in action.

Oh well, hopefully we saved our good shooting night for Duke.

I thought the refs did a good job. They were a non-factor, IMO. Good to get away from the horrible SLC refs.
nacluth
HJC69 said:

Well ultimately I think we have a very disperse group that can shoot threes. In crunch time, I like to rely on those who statistically hit better.

Kevon is the proven best three point shooter. Cam in a small sample has been solid. John is hitting at a solid clip. Even Bain has hit a high percentage on few shots. I've seen Roti drill a million in warmup if not in the games.

No knock on Kalcheries' shooting. I like him. I don't like his flat three looks. Maybe he's good in practice. I think scheme- wise we're built for he and Oddyst to be our three ball guys, but both of them seem to be gunslingers. Willing to shoot a lot... and miss a lot.
TallTexan
Oddyst was draining them at Jack Madness. Hit more than Kevon. Think he'll get it back as the season goes on.

Should see Roti hitting more too.

I like Kalchyries game best when he's moving the ball to other shooters, but I think his 3 will be important to keep people guarding him at the line. We've seen what happens with non 3pt shooting pgs before.
SFA Jack Fanatic
HJC69 said:

Based on his JUCO stats, Roti "should" be the triples man. So far, not so. Even one of the announcers last night mentioned that he was a prolific scorer in JUCO. I don't know if it's intimidation from playing at a higher level, a sudden lack of confidence in his shot, or what. Here's hoping that he gets his long range act together by conference time. If so, that will really open up the interior offense for us.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think we still need to give everyone time to get used to playing together. I think the overall chemistry is above average for 5 games into the season, but you still need actual floor time to get used to each other and trust in everyone's role.

And until we can fully figure out minutes and rotations, it makes it a little difficult for everyone to fully get into their role. A lot of kids will pressure themselves into playing poorly because they're trying to hard to make sure they get the playing time.

I'm excited to see how it plays out, the staff has a tough job this year, and I think they're doing great thus far.
jboy93
Still really optimistic about this team. We have to somehow figure out why we can start cold and go cold during the games for long periods. If we get that fixed, the possibilities are through the roof! Now to figure out the best way to keep it respectable against Duke.
GO JACKS!
nacluth
Exactly Matt. I think most fans (and I'm pretty sure most said so in the summer) would be happy with 4-1 or 4-2 if you want to call next week's game. We won the ones at home against lesser teams and battled a P5 school on the road. But, it's still very early.

Actually I don't think anyone is really complaining yet. Our team is so much improved from last year, it's kind of obvious. But now our expectations rise. I think we have the talent to dominate the SLC, but between new roles and the conference's still terrible scheduling despite more games, I think we struggle to finish in the top three this year.

This team is working it out. I'm getting pumped. We may lose by 35 next week, but if we lose by single digits to the #1 team, I won't be surprised either.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Still really optimistic about this team. We have to somehow figure out why we can start cold and go cold during the games for long periods. If we get that fixed, the possibilities are through the roof! Now to figure out the best way to keep it respectable against Duke.
GO JACKS!

Maybe I should ask this on the Recruiting forum, but what can we expect from the PG that we'll be getting from TJC next year, Jboy, since you're an insider there? What do the TJC coaches say about him? How has he performed so far this year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.