SFA / Rutgers

25,827 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJack85
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (4-0) vs. Rutgers (3-1)

WHEN: NOV 20 (WED) 6:00 P.M.
WHERE: RAC (Piscataway, NJ)
WATCH: Big Ten Network+

There's two ways to look at Wednesday's game against the Big Ten's Rutgers Scarlet Knights (3-1).

The first is that SFA is catching them coming off their first loss of the season - falling to St. Bonaventure in a showcase game in Toronto. There they fell behind by 19 early behind a dismal shooting start, and then they clawed their way back to just 4 down using their deep bench. The Bonnies kept their starters on the floor for basically the whole game to capture their first win of an underwhelming season so far. Rutgers has been playing solid at home, tripped up in a Canadian game against a hungry underperforming team, and now is back home to get some revenge. Could be rough sledding for a traveling Jacks team.

Or, SFA is about to catch a very overrated top 100 team that has struggled to put anyone away this year except for a terrible Niagara team. This is easily the most beatable P5 team SFA has played in a long time. While last year's 14-17 season was their best in a long time, they are 14-58 in the last four seasons of conference play. They have been perennial losers, and while the mood is up for the Scarlet Knights this year, SFA needs to stomp on their neck while they remember what losing feels like. Nothing would prep us more for Duke than a taste of a big win.

Led by Geo Baker (Jr. 6'4" G) and Ron Harper Jr. (So. 6'6" G/F) in scoring, they also have good powerful height in Myles Johnson (So. 6'11" C) and Akwasi Yeboah (Gr. 6'6" F). Like Drexel, Rutgers offense has not really had sustained success this year, but this is by far the deepest bench with the most individual talent that the Jacks have seen. Controlling the boards will be the big battle in this game. If the Jacks can force Rutgers to play outside, the game will stay in hand.

SFA is averaging 90+ points a game. Just dwell on that for a second. Even the relatively low shooting percentage of the Niagara game still ended with 89 points for the good guys. This is the deepest offensive team of the Keller era. Also, they still have forced more turnovers than any team in the NCAA. Top 20 in steals and offensive rebounds, the Jacks are making hay with extra possessions. They will need them Wednesday night in New Jersey in their first road game of the season.

The most exciting part of our offense is that we have been a defense first team. SFA has been breaking the will of their opponents. Whether John up front, Cam and Calvin in deeper, or Gavin at the rim, it is no easy task getting the ball through the zone. A blistering pace was held for the entire first half against Drexel. Will Rutgers run into a similar buzzsaw?

This is a premier win for the taking from a team that has been quick to steal big games the past couple of years. Let's go get them this week.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
RichieVan
As Ryan said, this is an extremely winnable game for the Jacks. The Scarlet Knights sorely miss Eugene Omoruyi, who transferred to Oregon. He was a force inside and their leading scorer and rebounder.

Rutgers is shooting less than 28% from three. On their own message board, their fans are calling them soft with no real interior presence, although Myles Johnson is 6' 10". They've also been beset with inconsistent defensive effort.

Make no mistake, Rutgers fans are not overlooking SFA, and I say that as a New Jersey resident. They see a Rutgers team that had trouble with Bryant (two point win), blew away a cold shooting Niagara team and then held on to beat Drexel before losing to a winless St. Bonaventure team.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one dressed in purple at the Rutgers Athletic Center Wednesday night.
Axe 'em Jacks!!!
LUMBERJACK2005
RichieVan said:

As Ryan said, this is an extremely winnable game for the Jacks. The Scarlet Knights sorely miss Eugene Omoruyi, who transferred to Oregon. He was a force inside and their leading scorer and rebounder.

Rutgers is shooting less than 28% from three. On their own message board, their fans are calling them soft with no real interior presence, although Myles Johnson is 6' 10". They've also been beset with inconsistent defensive effort.

Make no mistake, Rutgers fans are not overlooking SFA, and I say that as a New Jersey resident. They see a Rutgers team that had trouble with Bryant (two point win), blew away a cold shooting Niagara team and then held on to beat Drexel before losing to a winless St. Bonaventure team.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one dressed in purple at the Rutgers Athletic Center Wednesday night.
Axe 'em Jacks!!!
Here is the link to the post above, in case you want to read the full article:
https://www.onthebanks.com/2019/11/18/20969255/rutgers-mens-basketball-searching-identity-steve-pikiell-big-ten-geo-baker-akwasi-yeboah-ron-harper

Just watched the Rutgers/St. Bonnie game and I really feel like we match up well with Rutgers. Apparently St. Bonn was without their top post player for the game, and still handled them rather easily. As the post above states, apparently they lost their best inside player to transfer (sound familiar?). The guys they have are ok, but nothing dominant. I can only think of one, maybe two, true post up entrys during the game. Johnson is 6'10, but he posted up one time and the only shots I saw him take were dunks. They opened the game with a high pick and roll the led to lob and dunk with him. As long as Gavin stays out of foul trouble, we should be ok in the post. They run a motion, wing ball screen offense very similar to what Butler made famous, be prepared for Kevon to get backdoor cut on at least twice. Their guards are all really big 6'4-6'7. Best players are Baker, Yeboah, and Harper. St. Bonnies limited Rutgers transition chances by making buckets and limiting "live-ball" turnovers, SFA needs to do the same. St. Bonn was getting to the rim off the bounce, almost at will against their man to man. Rutgers played 11 guys versus St. Bonn, so they are also pretty deep.

Anyone know if their has been any discussion about removing the cement barrier that seperates the first row from the playing floor at WRJC? I hate staring at it during the games and don't feel like its necessary from any type of security standpoint. I think it would make the coliseum look a lot better if they could knock it down, maybe I'm alone on this.

SFAJack_76
Rutgers is big with twelve guys 6'4" and taller, to much taller. As has been mentioned, they are a poor three point shooting team. We probably need this game to be played outside on both ends of the floor. Rutgers only averages 12.5 turnovers a game, but they have not played a defense like SFA.

Hart and McDaniel were held out of the Drexel game because they were banged up a little. Rumors of it being anything different are unfortunate and ill-advised. Kevon's back is sore from his hard fall, but he should be good to go. He did practice today.
cboothe09
Four games in stats on Rutgers...

PPG - 73.8 PA - 61.8
FGP - .443 FGA - .380
3PP - .280 3PA - .362
FTP - .674 FTA - .758
RPG - 42 FA - 32.2

Individually, as has been stated, Baker is the engine averaging 13.3 in 32.2 minutes. Yeboah (10.3 ppg) and Harper (10.3 ppg) balance the scoring effort. The rotation is deep with nine guys averaging over 10 minutes a game. They force more turnovers than give up, but don't really force a lot. They force 15.3 and give up 12.5 on a nightly average.

Overall I feel like we match up well. The big thing is this will be our first road trip of the season. WRJ has been kind this year, but now we go on a long road trip. As long as we aren't caught looking ahead, I think we slip out with a 5-10 point win.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Certainly no reason for the team to be looking ahead. I mean Duke is Duke but beating a Rutgers would put a little feather in their caps even if Rutgers isn't that strong. I would be more concerned with the long road trip and not getting caught up in playing a P5 school.
Definitely have a shot at a win, hope coaches are prepping them focusing on one game at a time.
RichieVan
That's right, St. Bonaventure was missing Osun Osunniyi, their 6'10" sophomore and first team preseason all A-10 (allow me to name drop, he's my friend's son). He's a big time rim protector.
Rutgers has an issue allowing too many wide open threes. The Bonnies hit 46% from three, and Drexel had some good looks as well, just didn't hit them.
We match up well. I'm anxious to see if we can turn them over 20+ times. Bottom line, if we can get out of Piscataway with a win, we're playing with house money against Duke.
cboothe09
When I say looking ahead, I mean the opportunity to play at Cameron against a blue blood. Not looking at Rutgers as a blow off. The road trip is concerning. I actually think Arkansas State is the game I'm most worried about here...
nacluth
cboothe09 said:

I actually think Arkansas State is the game I'm most worried about here...
Arkansas St. are no slouches. Hopefully we'll have seen a little of our potential by then.
BigJack85
RichieVan said:

That's right, St. Bonaventure was missing Osun Osunniyi, their 6'10" sophomore and first team preseason all A-10 (allow me to name drop, he's my friend's son). He's a big time rim protector.
Rutgers has an issue allowing too many wide open threes. The Bonnies hit 46% from three, and Drexel had some good looks as well, just didn't hit them.
We match up well. I'm anxious to see if we can turn them over 20+ times. Bottom line, if we can get out of Piscataway with a win, we're playing with house money against Duke.

From my read of Rutgers 3 previous games I believe you nailed it Richie. A few open 3's to spread the floor and maybe Kensmil gets a double double.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
The Jacks traveled this afternoon. Long trip, but they should be there with plenty of time to get their legs under them. Nobody on the team is talking about Duke. It is all Rutgers.
No-look
Looks like we Sawmill gurus is getting our swag back. Lol. Seems like every game we get better. I'm still cautiously optimistic about the non conference games as we get into the tougher ones. A Rutgers loss would be disappointing but wouldn't be lethal. The Duke game needs to be competitive. Hope Keller will work on press break.
TallTexan
We've seen glimpses of that against a few recent opponents.

Looks like we were bringing 3 up for inbounding, and then immediately throwing a pass up over halfcourt to break the press.

Or atleast that's why I think we've been practicing that in game.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

The Jacks traveled this afternoon. Long trip, but they should be there with plenty of time to get their legs under them. Nobody on the team is talking about Duke. It is all Rutgers.
We fly commercial to these games?
Pilotgirl
Anyone know how we can watch the game?I will even pay, not a big deal.
jboy93
We are getting some love on TKR (The Knight Report). Check it out. Several have done their homework on the Jacks and they seem to be a little nervous that the Jacks are coming to town!
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

Only way that I know of right now is by subscribing to BTN+. They have a few options, but the cheapest way would be to subscribe to the Rutgers pass for $9.99. https://www.btnplus.com/packages
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

It is on BTN+ which is a subscription service. It looks like the cheapest deal is $14.95 for one month.

https://www.btnplus.com/packages?type=0
Pilotgirl
Thanks!
TallTexan
Sometimes I dislike our espn deal, but atleast we can watch all the games in the same place.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

It is on BTN+ which is a subscription service. It looks like the cheapest deal is $14.95 for one month.

https://www.btnplus.com/packages?type=0
If you're subscribing for the month make sure you choose the Rutgers option, save you $5.
nacluth
Well the more I think about it, I believe that this will be the tale of two games. If we play like we played against Niagara and Rutgers played like they did, we lose. If we play like we did against Drexel and Rutgers play like they did, we win. I could almost see a 30 point swing for both teams. However, I'm still impressed with the consistency with which the Jacks have played with this season. Let's keep it going.

A side note: Rutgers made the same tour of Spain we did this summer. Their results were almost identical to ours. So no real separation there. I see this as a pretty even match, but I think we're playing as a team better currently.
cboothe09
Those guys over there are a trip...I might have to chime in over there
CertifiedAxeman98

starting at 34:25 is talk about SFA.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

starting at 34:25 is talk about SFA.

Their coach showed a lot of respect for SFA, but he got several facts wrong. Apparently, we now have a player named Calvin Davis, who will be the SLC POY. I look forward to seeing him on the floor tomorrow. And he said we have a boatload of seniors (three, actually). And he said that Keller was on Underwood's staff. Didn't realize that either.

But seriously, he's not taking SFA lightly. Thanks for sharing, Axeman.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan
Ok who spilled the beans about Calvin Davis? We were saving him for Duke.

Bet it was the guitarmaker. Loose Lips Sink Championships Nacluth.

PurpleOut
Staff
Also as a heads up, if you are subscribing to the service, BTN+ has an app that you can download if you have a smart tv or Roku/Fire stick so you can watch on a tv.
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

Also as a heads up, if you are subscribing to the service, BTN+ has an app that you can download if you have a smart tv or Roku/Fire stick so you can watch on a tv.

THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED
RichieVan
https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/q-a-with-stephen-f-austin-beat-writer-isaac-niedrauer

Good job on the interview, Isaac. I've been on their board for the last few days and I think the Jacks win 83-75.

Anyone going to Piscataway tomorrow?
nacluth
We have a beat writer?
SFAJack_76
No-look
Rutgers coach's heart is in the right place he just don't know some things. Lol
nacluth
It's amazing to think that maybe no one except Bain remembers 9/11. I'm glad that got to see the memorial anyway. A worthwhile stop.
purpleballs
I like the effort on their part to look up some Texas History and give a quick lesson on who Stephen F Austin was.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.