SFA / Sam Houston (2)

31,070 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No matter who comes back next year. Somebody's going to have some big shoes to fill to replace Shannon.

Though to be honest, I'd love to replace him with three 10 points a night guys.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

I was being told TJ is gone but I am not convinced about that just yet..

SFA17 reported earlier that TJ asked to not be recognized at Senior Night tonight. Until we find out otherwise, I'm interpreting that to mean that he plans to come back.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA17 reported earlier that TJ asked to not be recognized at Senior Night tonight. Until we find out otherwise, I'm interpreting that to mean that he plans to come back.
This is huge becuase I know TJ loves SFA and the fanbase. He has told me that verbatim .. We need to hang on to Mitch... I am working on him... He is a good kid.. He knows he has my support whatever he does..I can say the situation has gotten alot better the past 30 days and thats with us losing too..I have been preaching getting a degree and dealing with adversity on and off the court.. We make our own choices on how to react to a certain situation... I am having a feeling of AA not being totally gone either...
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

That is what the ESPN 3 commentator said on air. Very good sign
Jacks4460
sfa17 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

That is what the ESPN 3 commentator said on air. Very good sign
Yes it is... I just met TJ last year and the one on one conversations I have had with him I get that he really loves SFASU and the fan base.. He seems so genuine when talking about Nacogdoches and how he likes it.. I always thank him for his commitment to our basketball program and that it was players like him that helped get us a 26 mil Basketball traininig facility... Plus he kinda likes that he is Rockstar status in Nacogdoches...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

I am having a feeling of AA not being totally gone either...

What gives you that idea, 4460??? And if he does come back, did he play enough to lose a year of eligibility and be a senior?
Jacks4460
Still in school and around teamates off the court.. I am hoping Keller gives him a chance to earn his way back on the team.. He is not a bad young man...
Pilotgirl
Jacks4460 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

This is huge becuase I know TJ loves SFA and the fanbase. He has told me that verbatim .. We need to hang on to Mitch... I am working on him... He is a good kid.. He knows he has my support whatever he does..I can say the situation has gotten alot better the past 30 days and thats with us losing too..I have been preaching getting a degree and dealing with adversity on and off the court.. We make our own choices on how to react to a certain situation... I am having a feeling of AA not being totally gone either...

Dude. You aren't a coach/recruiter for SFA Basketball, even tho you may want to be. Let them do their jobs & we, as fans/alumni/supporters, do our part.

You said things have changed since the last 30 days (with your supposed insider info)? You were spouting all kinds of crap since then, warning us to get ready, players don't get along, etc. So which is it? Lol
Jacks4460
I can do what what I want to do Pilot..but thanks for your advice...never said I had insider info... not sure where you got that.. plus u don't have a clue what is even going on nor will you ever know..
Pilotgirl
I know plenty, thanks!
Pilotgirl
brlionfan44 said:

MasterAxe said:

Thank God this ****ing disaster is over.

9th out of 13 in the worst conference in America.

Remember this when we're making fun of HBU's gym...they're advancing and we're not, even though we have 20x the resources and facilities.
Not a troll at all but I recently did some research on my own and was surprised to see that despite playing in a middle school gym, HBU actually has a mid level basketball budget for the SLC. These numbers come from the Department of Education and I rounded to the nearest tenth and added league record to them. Again, not an attempt to troll, I know this was a tough loss for the Lumberjacks. If you guys get TJ back and find some point guard play, you'll get right back to the top of the league.

Stephen F. Austin 1.9 million 7-11
A&M Corpus 1.8 million 9-9
Incarnate Word 1.4 million 1-17
Abilene Christian 1.4 million 14-4
Lamar 1.4 million 12-6
Central Arkansas 1.3 million 8-10
Houston Baptist 1.3 million 8-10
Northwestern St. 1.2 million 6-12
Sam Houston 1.2 million 16-2
SLU 1.1 million 12-6
McNeese 1.1 million 5-13
UNO 1.0 million 12-6
Nicholls .8 million 7-11

Pulling for SELA at Katy...like to watch your team play & would love to see Veal in the NCAA tourney. Good luck but beat SAM for us!!
TallTexan
brlionfan44 said:

Lamar 1.4 million 12-6
SLU 1.1 million 12-6
McNeese 1.1 million 5-13
UNO 1.0 million 12-6
Nicholls .8 million 7-11
I'm surprised it's this close to be honest.

I wonder what these would look like for football.
cboothe09
I hope this is a Leon Gilmore situation and he gets a chance to return. I am feeling better and better about TJ and Mitch. The only guy i feel is more likely to transfer than stay is Jock. That reqlly stinks because i think he is going to be good. A slow start and then the injury really screwed up his freshman year. Hope we can keep him around too...He is that shooter we needed and will need going forward.
TheRevSFA
cboothe09 said:

I hope this is a Leon Gilmore situation and he gets a chance to return. I am feeling better and better about TJ and Mitch. The only guy i feel is more likely to transfer than stay is Jock. That reqlly stinks because i think he is going to be good. A slow start and then the injury really screwed up his freshman year. Hope we can keep him around too...He is that shooter we needed and will need going forward.

Jock removed anything sfa on his twitter bio. Hopefully that's not a sign
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

brlionfan44 said:

Lamar 1.4 million 12-6
SLU 1.1 million 12-6
McNeese 1.1 million 5-13
UNO 1.0 million 12-6
Nicholls .8 million 7-11
I'm surprised it's this close to be honest.

I wonder what these would look like for football.

We can complain about being at the top for the results this year, but UIW, my goodness, now that is what rock bottom truly is. We aren't even close. And these numbers show we are not ridiculously outspending everyone else. This even more proves that it is pure luck to find and get that good mid player that really surprises everyone and breaks out of the pack with talent that is next conference level.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
cboothe09
Saw that...Plus last week i mentioned it was a shame he wasnt used more in a loss. He liked and retweeted it. Dude is definitely frustrated. Seems like he wants to be back in Houston. Wish we he would stay, but if he isnt happy then he needs to go where he will be. Texas Southern may be a perfect fit for him
CottonValleyJack
How can anyone defend this dumpster fire? We must fire Keller immediately!
sfa17
CottonValleyJack said:

People are saying fire Keller but what coaches are out there right? Another unproven assistant coach? Let's see what Keller can do next season. We were in ncaa tourney 2 season ago. If he doesn't perform next season then ...
SFA Jack Fanatic
TheRevSFA said:

cboothe09 said:

Jock removed anything sfa on his twitter bio. Hopefully that's not a sign
I'm thinking he must have told the coaches (or they told him) that he would be gone at the end of the season. Why else would a couple of others with less talent play and he wouldn't?
cboothe09
Shaka may be available...
sfa17
cboothe09 said:

Shaka may be available...
I think he is still recovering from Desmond's 4 point play
wahlwesle
Delete
RedRiverLa
You sound like an Illinois fan.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
A story in today's Houston Chronicle says Smart is likely to stay at UT for one more year. They owe him too much $$$. I love it when big schools screw themselves by paying way too much for coaches.
BigJack85
sfa17 said:

CottonValleyJack said:

People are saying fire Keller but what coaches are out there right? Another unproven assistant coach? Let's see what Keller can do next season. We were in ncaa tourney 2 season ago. If he doesn't perform next season then ...

I'm on the borderline regarding firing. I would look at Matt Figger. Obviously Ivey knows him well. Also he fits conveniently in the Brad Underwood tree of coaches. South Carolina etc. If we had the money (who knows maybe someone does) Figger would be one of my calls.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
migata33
sfa17 said:

CottonValleyJack said:

There appears to be an unrealistic expectation concerning Keller. The facts are he was a very popular and important member of the Texas A & M coaching staff and his connections have gotten us a quality pre season program going with the SEC which included a home game with Alabama last year. The facts are his assistant coaches are exceptionally talented for a mid major and left P5 jobs to come work with him. The facts are he hasn't had a fair amount of time to install his players into this program and are playing with Underwoods recruits for the most part. The facts are there were major injuries and defections due to reasons that we do not know the answers and that's fine as its better to have your players want to be there and work to get minutes than think they are better than the program. The Facts are he and his coaches recruited two excellent forwards to join the program next year as well as just signed one heck of a guard David Kachelries and if he was such a bad coach Samza wouldn't have recommitted after going back on the market. The facts are Keller and his family actually want to make Nacogdoches a long term commitment and will allow consistency and assurances to recruits that SFA will not be a hotbed of constant change.

We are very lucky to have this man as our head coach and sorry that this year sucked but it happens sometimes to every program and coach especially on this level when everything has to go darn near perfect for the results you need the most. SFA is in good hands! Go Jacks!
Jacks4460
Migata33 I appreciate your post but disagree with the Keller's wanting to make Nacogdoches a long term thing.. There was interest on Keller's side in the AM job until this season went really south.. "....everybody's just messed up mentally right now. The A&M job was ours. Would've changed our lives financially..."
Hey I don't blame the Keller's at all for wanting to go from 400-500 to 1-1.5 million.. That quote isn't from Keller either..
No-look
migata33 said:

sfa17 said:

CottonValleyJack said:

There appears to be an unrealistic expectation concerning Keller. The facts are he was a very popular and important member of the Texas A & M coaching staff and his connections have gotten us a quality pre season program going with the SEC which included a home game with Alabama last year. The facts are his assistant coaches are exceptionally talented for a mid major and left P5 jobs to come work with him. The facts are he hasn't had a fair amount of time to install his players into this program and are playing with Underwoods recruits for the most part. The facts are there were major injuries and defections due to reasons that we do not know the answers and that's fine as its better to have your players want to be there and work to get minutes than think they are better than the program. The Facts are he and his coaches recruited two excellent forwards to join the program next year as well as just signed one heck of a guard David Kachelries and if he was such a bad coach Samza wouldn't have recommitted after going back on the market. The facts are Keller and his family actually want to make Nacogdoches a long term commitment and will allow consistency and assurances to recruits that SFA will not be a hotbed of constant change.

We are very lucky to have this man as our head coach and sorry that this year sucked but it happens sometimes to every program and coach especially on this level when everything has to go darn near perfect for the results you need the most. SFA is in good hands! Go Jacks!
This.
No-look
When coaches need firing you look for yearly patterns. I see nothing but a one bad year due to injuries and dismissals. I'm in until proven differently.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I would agree with No Look here.

We have a couple on here that want to paint last year's NCAA trip a fluke.....I would contend that this season that opened with 3 regulars from last year injured and unavailable, a couple of dismissals mid season, both actions leaving a team of very little depth for mid-major MBB to contend consistently is much more likely to be the fluke of a season.

Now the work continues, a juco PG has been signed, Hart and Pope are coming, we will see about other roster changes and commits and if any other issues we hear tale of come forward. I want to see what Keller can do next season with a full, largely healthy roster of young guys who want to be here. That will be a much better indicator of where the program stands with Keller at the helm. Do we falter or do we return to the 'fluke" second season.
BigJack85
The kid from NJIT is also a solid point guard. Maybe we will have depth at point for a change. If we can get a solid point we might be able to unlock Kevon for what he really needs to be. A workhorse on the wing.

Oddyst at the 2 with Comeaux coming off the bench as a back up point. If TJ returns we should be ROCK SOLID at 1, 2, 3, and 5.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
I hope so Big, we need one. Personally now with a juco PG signed I would want to see Keller recruit a freshman PG to groom and prepare to become the next starting PG. Comeaux will be a senior so need to solidify the position for the future.
sfa17
Jacks4460 said:

Migata33 I appreciate your post but disagree with the Keller's wanting to make Nacogdoches a long term thing.. There was interest on Keller's side in the AM job until this season went really south.. "....everybody's just messed up mentally right now. The A&M job was ours. Would've changed our lives financially..."
Hey I don't blame the Keller's at all for wanting to go from 400-500 to 1-1.5 million.. That quote isn't from Keller either..
Coaching is a job. If a better opportunity comes that pays more you will usually take it. Literally every fan base believe they will keep their coach until he is out the door. Underwood said the same thing at Oklahoma state . Will Wade and Shaka said the same thing at VCU. No coach is going to come out and say "this job is a stepping stone for me." Coaches can leave a school in a matter of hours and they can be cut the same amount of time.
cboothe09
Will Wade is another guy that will be looking for a job in a month...

Personally I don't think Keller will be fired, and while i have waivered back and forth depending on my mood, i think he does deserve one more year. Only time to cut bait after 3 is if things were consistently bad. Next year is put up or shut up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Oddyst at the 2 with Comeaux coming off the bench as a back up point.

I don't see Walker ever starting at SFA. I've seen nothing exceptional about him. Pretty good minutes-eater off the bench, but not a starter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.