SFA / Sam Houston (2)

30,736 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (14-15, 7-10) vs. Sam Houston (20-10, 15-2)

WHEN: MAR. 9 (SAT) 4:30 P.M.
WHERE: Johnson Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN3

Today Sam Houston will get the crowd they deserve for the final game of an incredible season that saw them defy most predictions and pretty easily handle the Southland Conference regular season. Unfortunately for them, all those people will be booing their performance and cheering anything the other team does well. This is SFA, and Sam Houston - "You STILL suck" - even if we don't yell that anymore.

No crystal ball needed for the myriad of results that can happen for all 6 teams still vying for those final playoff spots. All the Jacks can do is look for this final game against their bitterest rival. Win and we keep playing next week; lose and this humbling season is at its logical whimper of an end. (If anyone is interested to look over playoff possibilities and how they were figured you can here: Katy Watch.) It's been 14 years since the Lumberjacks haven't attended the SLC tourney, and it will be a definite blow to the program to miss this year.

Jovan, Bogues, and Fitz will be suiting up in white and purple for the last time today in WRJ.

Grujic is the only player from the Underwood time that has been basically available each week the last four years. He has had some magical fan-fueled performances and honestly has been playing some of his best basketball this past month. Come out to yell for him.

Fitzgerald was here for too short a time to really establish his presence. A couple of 30-point games showed that he had the skills to score, but he never quite secured the absence of TJ in the post. He stuck through this rough season, and didn't shirk his responsibilities though. In a tough year, it's good to see someone willing to plow on through. He deserves a hand today.

Shannon Bogues. The name by itself is enough to create fear in the hearts of his opponents. One of the quickest players to 1,000 points in SFA history, some days his shots were unstoppable. He is a one man highlight reel, and popping up over a defender at the arc to bury a three will be a lasting image for years to come. His final runner against Baylor was definitely the highlight of this 2018-19 team. If he had been here for four years, his name would probably been up there with the all-time SFA greats, but as it is, his goals are going to be unfulfilled. Today though he will become the SFA leader in consecutive double-digit scoring efforts at 31 games. For all that he's given, he will get a standing ovation on his home court.

Thank you seniors.

The season is not done yet. We've got some Bearkats to send home crying. Come out and make sure it happens.

Axe 'em!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Game day!!!! It may look like a big job today, but this tree can come down.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Thank you seniors.

The season is not done yet. We've got some Bearkats to send home crying. Come out and make sure it happens.

Axe 'em!

Excellent! You're best game-day intro post ever! And a great tribute to our seniors. Axe 'em, Jacks!
No-look
Good article nacluth. I'm in San Antonio for the boys state tourney. Will be the first home game to miss this year. Which may actually translate to a win for the Jacks. Let's do this!!!
No-look
Is it ESPN 3 or + ?
TallTexan
I'll admit, it's been quite the rough season. Outside of watching Kevon & Shannon play 2 on 5 and still come out with All-Conference scoring efforts, it's not been the season we expected.

But today is simple. Our most hated rival is coming to town. Win and in. I've seen some debbie downers over on the pick 'em thread shacking up with Prison Tech, just to win a paid vacation cruise package.

Seems like to some of you, all hope is lost, we don't stand a chance, and this season is over

But let me ask you, was it over when a Bearkat left the back gate at the Alamo open & unguarded?

Was it over when a Bearkat let the Texas Seven Escape?

Was it over when the Lumberjacks were down 4 against VCU?

We're Lumberjacks and this is March. The night is darkest before the dawn, this is the comeback that 30 for 30s are made of. It starts tonight. Senior Night featuring Shannon Bogues. Our House. Win & In.

Let's go Axe some Bearkats!
nacluth
ESPN3
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

I'll admit, it's been quite the rough season. Outside of watching Kevon & Shannon play 2 on 5 and still come out with All-Conference scoring efforts, it's not been the season we expected.

But today is simple. Our most hated rival is coming to town. Win and in. I've seen some debbie downers over on the pick 'em thread shacking up with Prison Tech, just to win a paid vacation cruise package.

Seems like to some of you, all hope is lost, we don't stand a chance, and this season is over

But let me ask you, was it over when a Bearkat left the back gate at the Alamo open & unguarded?

Was it over when a Bearkat let the Texas Seven Escape?

Was it over when the Lumberjacks were down 4 against VCU?

We're Lumberjacks and this is March. The night is darkest before the dawn, this is the comeback that 30 for 30s are made of. It starts tonight. Senior Night featuring Shannon Bogues. Our House. Win & In.

Let's go Axe some Bearkats!

I'm down! We are still in the game. Yes, it's been soooo inconsistent this season. Shouldn't have to come down to the last game. But man....what a climatic ending...Jacks have to win to make tournament. Home turf. Against our biggest rival, who happens to be #1. Last game for some...or is it?

This is the epitome of March Madness. So let's get a little crazy & scream/cheer like Purple Haze this afternoon at the Sawmill. Shannon deserves our support. Lumberjack pride, ya'll. #AxeEm
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hopefully, Cheesy Crap Cruise Line won't be setting sail for at least another week, Texan.
nacluth
We ready.

TallTexan
Thought for sure you'd dye the beard purple for a rivalry game.

But the daughter gets an A+ for school spirit!
nacluth
TallTexan said:

Thought for sure you'd dye the beard purple for a rivalry game.

But the daughter gets an A+ for school spirit!

Got to save some things for the Katy Championship game or people expect it every time....so next week.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

We ready.

Oh...she's ready!!
nacluth
t's not a true Sawmill reunion, but if you would like to meet and shake hands with some fellow Sawmillers, let's meet on the concourse at the top of the stairs between section 107/108 after the Ladyjacks Senior presentation.
nacluth
Nevermind, they are giving out shirts there. Let's do it under the Murray Shaw Room name at the back of the concourse.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TJ not recognized on Senior Day. Does that mean he's back next year or that he's gone??????
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Nevermind, they are giving out shirts there. Let's do it under the Murray Shaw Room name at the back of the concourse.

Nice meeting everyone. Maybe they'll be another one in Katy.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
About 10 points better at the first media than last time we played them.
PurpleOut
Staff
Way too many minutes for Jovan, can't rebound and can't defend.

AND HE'S TAKING THREES?!?!?!
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

Way too many minutes for Jovan, can't rebound and can't defend.

AND HE'S TAKING THREES?!?!?!

My bad, I was predicting 4 points for the night and he was trying to get 3/4 in one shot.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
I saw him pregame and talked Gru into shooting outside.
RedRiverLa
Wooten already blowing a gasket
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
6 threes already, 1 two pointer. Everyone wants to be the shooting guard we need next year.
RedRiverLa
Rogue noise sticks. Southland be damned
Lumberjack Battalion
PurpleOut
Staff
Lazy effort out there. Sad to see us not boxing out and just standing around in the biggest game of the year.
nacluth
Maybe not getting Sam's best shot, but glad that we're in this 26 minutes in.
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

Rogue noise sticks. Southland be damned

Anarchy!
TallTexan
I'm gonna see if they'll let me run the Houstonian twitter account in the 2nd half.

I could really take their tweeting to the next level.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Sammie got his season averages of 12 picks and no points.
MasterAxe
Uca wins. Guaranteed 3 way tie for 7th with Hbu/CC loser and us, if we win.

What's the breakers? 3 teams for 2 spots.
nacluth
20 minutes left to play out!
nacluth
Master, if we win, we're #7, UCA #8, HBU/Corpus loser eliminated. Otherwise, we're out and the loser is in. NWST and Nicholls already eliminated.
RedRiverLa
Can I just say the the athletic department promotional staff hit it out of the park this year with halftime shows.
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

Can I just say the the athletic department promotional staff hit it out of the park this year with halftime shows.

Definitely. They rocked it this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.