SFA / Sam Houston (2)

31,068 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
We let a s h i t t y HBU team sneak in the tournament.
sfa17
I'm in shock. Unbelievable
MasterAxe
(Dec 19th) Kyle Keller: "I wouldn't want to play us in March."

Kyle Keller's team in March: 0-3, all double digit losses.

Last year looks like a fluke and this year and his 1st year are more the norm.

Ended the year losing 8 out of 11 and the last 4 in a row.
BigJack85
Unless Keller is gone I'm afraid we have more pain to endure
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
sfa17
He has to turn it around next year and make up for this dumpster fire. 1 season. Conference title and ncaa appearance
TheRevSFA
Third, fourth, ninth....

Trend?
brlionfan44
MasterAxe said:

Thank God this ****ing disaster is over.

9th out of 13 in the worst conference in America.

Remember this when we're making fun of HBU's gym...they're advancing and we're not, even though we have 20x the resources and facilities.
Not a troll at all but I recently did some research on my own and was surprised to see that despite playing in a middle school gym, HBU actually has a mid level basketball budget for the SLC. These numbers come from the Department of Education and I rounded to the nearest tenth and added league record to them. Again, not an attempt to troll, I know this was a tough loss for the Lumberjacks. If you guys get TJ back and find some point guard play, you'll get right back to the top of the league.

Stephen F. Austin 1.9 million 7-11
A&M Corpus 1.8 million 9-9
Incarnate Word 1.4 million 1-17
Abilene Christian 1.4 million 14-4
Lamar 1.4 million 12-6
Central Arkansas 1.3 million 8-10
Houston Baptist 1.3 million 8-10
Northwestern St. 1.2 million 6-12
Sam Houston 1.2 million 16-2
SLU 1.1 million 12-6
McNeese 1.1 million 5-13
UNO 1.0 million 12-6
Nicholls .8 million 7-11

MasterAxe
brlionfan44 said:

MasterAxe said:

Thank God this ****ing disaster is over.

9th out of 13 in the worst conference in America.

Remember this when we're making fun of HBU's gym...they're advancing and we're not, even though we have 20x the resources and facilities.
Not a troll at all but I recently did some research on my own and was surprised to see that despite playing in a middle school gym, HBU actually has a mid level basketball budget for the SLC. These numbers come from the Department of Education and I rounded to the nearest tenth and added league record to them. Again, not an attempt to troll, I know this was a tough loss for the Lumberjacks. If you guys get TJ back and find some point guard play, you'll get right back to the top of the league.

Stephen F. Austin 1.9 million 7-11
A&M Corpus 1.8 million 9-9
Incarnate Word 1.4 million 1-17
Abilene Christian 1.4 million 14-4
Lamar 1.4 million 12-6
Central Arkansas 1.3 million 8-10
Houston Baptist 1.3 million 8-10
Northwestern St. 1.2 million 6-12
Sam Houston 1.2 million 16-2
SLU 1.1 million 12-6
McNeese 1.1 million 5-13
UNO 1.0 million 12-6
Nicholls .8 million 7-11

This makes it worse lol.

Biggest budget in the SLC...9th place.

At least we save our Katy travel budget. Maybe we can use it towards the Keller (eventual) buyout.
RedRiverLa
I don't think this is the game that should have 'shocked' everyone, or be seen as hitting the bottom. I hate missing the tournament, but when you go 0-2 adainst NWst., that's when you blow your chance to keep your tournament run going IMHO. For sure there were many more chances, I know, but we're 2 great players against 5. If our rock bottom is this year, I can handle it. I still think Keller's body of work from his sfa tenure has earned him a year to be much healthier and turn it around, but it's a one year deal in my opinion. From my seat in WRJ, I didn't witness lazy coaching, but Gru did have too many minutes. But if Gru hits that three...oh well. See you next year in WRJ Sawmillers. AxeEm Jacks!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
RedRiverLa said:

I don't think this is the game that should have 'shocked' everyone, or be seen as hitting the bottom. I hate missing the tournament, but when you go 0-2 adainst NWst., that's when you blow your chance to keep your tournament run going IMHO. For sure there were many more chances, I know, but we're 2 great players against 5. If our rock bottom is this year, I can handle it. I still think Keller's body of work from his sfa tenure has earned him a year to be much healthier and turn it around, but it's a one year deal in my opinion. From my seat in WRJ, I didn't witness lazy coaching, but Gru did have too many minutes. But if Gru hits that three...oh well. See you next year in WRJ Sawmillers. AxeEm Jacks!

Keller's "body of work," entails one good year. A year looking more like a fluke than anything.

I hope this is the worst and it only gets better, but good lord, this was awful.
MasterAxe

Peace...or Peace Out?
RedRiverLa
Sure, but to call for his firing a year after a championship and ncaa birth, is a frustrated over reaction IMHO. We're not here if TJ plays the year, we're in Katy.
Lumberjack Battalion
TheRevSFA
RedRiverLa said:

Sure, but to call for his firing a year after a championship and ncaa birth, is a frustrated over reaction IMHO. We're not here if TJ plays the year, we're in Katy.

He's only had one good year. His body of work isn't stellar.

Let's not pretend he's Underwood
BigJack85
I don't think anyone mistakes him for Underwood. 29-5 for a down year.

I'm afraid that this gets away from us. I hope Keller makes serious changes starting tomorrow. We are a total mess.
MasterAxe
RedRiverLa said:

I'm sorry, but the highest paid person at SFA deserves every bit of criticism. It comes with the territory. I wish I had that job security.

You can pay me 1/4 of Keller's salary. and I can get us to 9th. We give him a lot of money and top notch resources to do better than 9th.

I mean are you freaking kidding me?! 9th place in the worst conference in America?!

I just think the NCAA year is looking more and more like a fluke and that this year and his 1st year are the actual norm.
PurpleOut
Staff
RedRiverLa said:

I agree with this. As frustrated and angry that I am, I don't think there are many coaches that would have a successful season with what he just dealt with. Think about losing guys starters like Gilmore and Canete and your overall team leader in Ty Charles. Then take out an All-Conference and All-Defensive guy in Holyfield. Then take out ANOTHER All-Conference and All-Defensive guy in Augustin. Oh and go ahead and add in the loss of a decent Karl Nicholas and several other small injuries......and you have a big recipe for disaster. Not saying he and the staff don't deserve the criticism, because they do. Not making the conference tournament is a black eye, because this is such a terrible league. But this season had very little go right from the beginning.

I'm going to be hurting for a while, I live for SFA basketball season. But let's see what happens this offseason before we write off next year.
sfajack05
The team was out of whack the entire season. It's understandable the first month or so as you're trying to figure things out with no true point guards but Keller made no adjustments. The entire offense was give the ball to Harris or Shannon and let them shoot. The defense was all over the place as well. Lots of standing around and giving up open shots. Where was the stifling defense that created turnovers and made us successful the last 10+ years. Keller was just throwing out lineups hoping something would stick.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

RedRiverLa said:

I agree with this. As frustrated and angry that I am, I don't think there are many coaches that would have a successful season with what he just dealt with. Think about losing guys starters like Gilmore and Canete and your overall team leader in Ty Charles. Then take out an All-Conference and All-Defensive guy in Holyfield. Then take out ANOTHER All-Conference and All-Defensive guy in Augustin. Oh and go ahead and add in the loss of a decent Karl Nicholas and several other small injuries......and you have a big recipe for disaster. Not saying he and the staff don't deserve the criticism, because they do. Not making the conference tournament is a black eye, because this is such a terrible league. But this season had very little go right from the beginning.

I'm going to be hurting for a while, I live for SFA basketball season. But let's see what happens this offseason before we write off next year.

I mostly agree. But, TJ was gone all year, it wasn't like KK didn't have time to figure it out.

I know I'll get bashed endlessly, but I've lost all faith in him. It's a "what have you done lately," job, and lately, he's done a piss poor job.

Losing 8/11 to end the year and 4 in a rownWHEN THE SEASON WAS ON THE LINE is a totally unacceptable outcome.

9th place in the worst league in America.

But, hey, injuries.
RedRiverLa
TheRevSFA said:

RedRiverLa said:

He's only had one good year. His body of work isn't stellar.

Let's not pretend he's Underwood

Who is pretending he's underwood? Who said his work is stellar? I'm saying calling for his firing is silly less than a year after a conference championship and a ncaa tournament where we almost beat a tough Texas Tech. No one is sayin he deserves a statue out in front. I'm saying he gets another year to turn it around.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17
Let's wait and see what he does next season. I think next season will be make it or break it. He has to win SLC regular season (something he has done) and conference tourney. No if and or but. I can forgive this season but won't forget.

fresh start, new season 0-0
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

PurpleOut said:

RedRiverLa said:

I mostly agree. But, TJ was gone all year, it wasn't like KK didn't have time to figure it out.

I know I'll get bashed endlessly, but I've lost all faith in him. It's a "what have you done lately," job, and lately, he's done a piss poor job.

Losing 8/11 to end the year and 4 in a rownWHEN THE SEASON WAS ON THE LINE is a totally unacceptable outcome.

9th place in the worst league in America.

But, hey, injuries.

I don't disagree with any of that.
nacluth
The positive I saw from this game (and you could include the last couple) is the play of our returning role players.

I thought Oddyst showed that he could be a solid 1/2 the last couple of games. He's developing into a contributor. He has energy and spark I'm looking forward to seeing more of.

Mitch is a natural shot blocker. He is going to be a menace when he averages 20+ minutes a game. He has very good natural instincts on where to go and how to play in position. Finishing those plays is really all he needs. It's coming.

Comeaux has a fire to play, and I hope his senior year is a good one as the backup 1. I don't think he's quite solid enough to be the starter, but his passion doesn't quit.

Bain showed this year that he can be a solid court disruptor. Working on his offensive finishes will be another weapon we need.

I don't think Sammy has much more to offer due to his knees, but he's inside relief.

Kevon is going to be the man next year. Honestly I thought his game has regressed with the added pressure, but if we can open the court for him, then he'll be all we need him to be.

It's going to be a long 8 months, but hope springs eternal.
MasterAxe
Last one:

I'm not saying he's gonna get fired, cause he ain't. But, Kyle Keller should be exhaling flames his seat is so hot.

Penthouse to outhouse in one year.

His one year of success looks like a total fluke.

SFA should NEVER miss a conference tourney...in the s-h-itt-iest conference in America, no less.

Ive lost total faith in him and I blame him for this year.

Injuries, be dammed! Lame excuse in my book.

Here's a fascinating idea: Develop the other players, so if one gets hurt, someone else can step in.

Singular coach Blame is what comes with the territory of being the highest paid person at a school.

You give credit to the kids when you win and you take the bulk of the blame when you lose. That's how it works.

Frankly, friends, how is next year any better?

Say TJ comes back...and we have the exact scenario. Two studs and nothing else.

I'm ranting cause I care. I care to not see our school be a pathetic afterthought in basketball. I care that Sam Houston beat our brains in...twice. I care that I looks like some of our players quit.

One more year. He gets it. But it has to be better than this **** show of a season.

9th place, GTFOH with that.

BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Last one:

I'm not saying he's gonna get fired, cause he ain't. But, Kyle Keller should be exhaling flames his seat is so hot.

SFA should NEVER miss a conference tourney...in the s-h-itt-iest conference in America, no less.

Here's a fascinating idea: Develop the other players, so if one gets hurt, someone else can step in.

Singular coach Blame is what comes with the territory of being the highest paid person at a school.

You give credit to the kids when you win and you take the bulk of the blame when you lose. That's how it works.

I'm ranting cause I care. I care to not see our school be a pathetic afterthought in basketball. I care that Sam Houston beat our brains in...twice. I care that I looks like some of our players quit.

One more year. He gets it. But it has to be better than this **** show of a season.

I agree completely. The minimum expectations next year should be at least 18 wins total and a 14-15 win conference season. That would be 2nd place most years.
TallTexan
TheRevSFA
I'll retract my fire Keller stance for one year.

But if we aren't where we should be (top 2 in conference) it'll be hard for me to not have the stance next year.
TallTexan
Well the season is over, time to look at a few silver linings.

One, we got to watch a truly incredible 2 season performance by Shannon Bogues. Can't wait to see where he lands on the pro level.

Two, we got a steal in Oddyst Walker. If you ask me, he's the most improved out of our freshman class. Has a high motor and getting more comfortable with the college game.

Three, we get a week head start on recruiting, and we know that's where Keller thrives. Time to go reload & get back to crushing the souls of the southland conference.

Four, we should have an easier time of getting a few OOC matchups at the least.
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

Last one:

I agree that the hot seat began when the clock hit 0 tonight, if not before then. For each weekend game and a couple of weekday games I drive/drove 4 hours round trip and I have witnessed some really bad basketball. Really disappointing team management in some instances, and some moments where you think we have pulled something together (okay not That many) Now, I will always faithfully drive over and support, but I thought we'd be a middle of the pack making Katy squad even with all the crap of this year. I don't have any answers on most of this because we haven't had a controlled environment on the Keller experiment. First year rookie head coach is going to slip a little-above average year, second year coach was pretty damn good and met most all expectations-championship NCAA, third year coach had outside factors but responded poorly and was a disappointment to me. So who do we have? An average coach, a damn good coach, or a poor coach - next year, one of those is going to repeat with 2 out of the 3 not what we want- then I trust Ivey to make the right call, especially with the salary involved. But the hot seat is on, we'll see whose a$$ is chapped at the end of next year.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
I agree with that.
Lumberjack Battalion
HJC69
Didn't win a conference championship in 3 years in the worst D1 conference! Winning first place is all that works for me next year.
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

I agree that the hot seat began when the clock hit 0 tonight, if not before then. For each weekend game and a couple of weekday games I drive/drove 4 hours round trip and I have witnessed some really bad basketball. Really disappointing team management in some instances, and some moments where you think we have pulled something together (okay not That many)

Now, I will always faithfully drive over and support, but I thought we'd be a middle of the pack making Katy squad even with all the crap of this year. I don't have any answers on most of this because we haven't had a controlled environment on the Keller experiment. First year rookie head coach is going to slip a little-above average year, second year coach was pretty damn good and met most all expectations-championship NCAA, third year coach had outside factors but responded poorly and was a disappointment to me. So who do we have? An average coach, a damn good coach, or a poor coach - next year, one of those is going to repeat with 2 out of the 3 not what we want- then I trust Ivey to make the right call, especially with the salary involved. But the hot seat is on, we'll see whose a$$ is chapped at the end of next year.
I think we've got a good coach. I honestly do.

He can recruit, he's got good character, & that team last year peaked at the right time. If they hadn't made us play an elite 8 team right out of the gate, we might have won a round. Heck, we nearly did it anyway, and that was a stud Tech team.

Sure, the hot seat is on. Assuming Kevon & TJ are back, that's two studs to build around. So it comes down to whether or not we can recruit the right guys to fill in the holes. And I think we can.

We need a number 1 PG to run the show. Oddyst might grow into that role, but having two would be better than 1. And we need another lane defender. Mitch has the blocking ability, but he's thin enough that it'll be hard for him to go toe to toe with a guy like Ishmael Lane.

And we need to fill enough holes that we can fix our defense. That's who we are. We're a blue collar, punch you in the mouth type of team. Yes, we've got to score, but our bread & butter is defense.

We lost a lot of defensive production with TJ & Aaron missing the season.

Next year isn't a rebuilding year or a year to be cautious about expectations. Once again, the goal is winning games in the NCAA tourney.
RedRiverLa
HJC69 said:

Didn't win a conference championship in 3 years in the worst D1 conference! Winning first place is all that works for me next year.

So when we didn't win first place for the regular season championship last year, but won the conference tournament and got the auto NCAA you considered it a bad year?
Lumberjack Battalion
SFA Jack Fanatic
I think the only two guys who have spots locked up on the team next year are Kevon and Mitch (and, of course, TJ if he comes back). All of the other returners are, IMO, average or below average D-1 players.

Jacks4460
Yall i did all my ranting and raving 3 weeks ago and thank goodness they deleted..I am as upset as anyone I promise you that.. I guess I got it all out of my system then... now we will see how the dominos fall for Keller and our beloved Lumberjacks... I see two coaches gone probally here soon because of recruiting and such... I was being told TJ is gone but I am not convinced about that just yet..
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I think the only two guys who have spots locked up on the team next year are Kevon and Mitch (and, of course, TJ if he comes back). All of the other returners are, IMO, average or below average D-1 players.

I was told he was gonna clean house and that meant players that could play too.. its gonna be interesting...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.