SFA / Sam Houston

34,616 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jacks4460
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

We may be playing two bottom dwellers based on record, but we're right there in terms of play.

Think about this. If it wasn't for a rare and ridiculous comeback against ACU, and then a missed wide open put back from UCA....we'd be 2-6 and in 12th place.

I apologize for being negative because I hate this more than anyone. But there's no way a team with Bogues and Harris should be this poor. The injuries suck and put us in a bad spot from the start. But we're really in a battle to just make the conference tournament this year, we have to accept that right now.

You may be negative but the points you make are important. The reservoir of talent is not as deep as in the past but there's still enough to build a competent team around. This team is a long way from competent. I put that squarely on Keller's back. You can recruit really well but even a $18 million training center ain't going to fix this.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
Attendace at last night's game: 3, 134 which is about half. Which is kinda sad to me when you're playing your rival, had to sell $1 tickets, you are undefeated in conference play, are on top of the conference, and have a good section of Purple fans in attendance.

Yup, I'm being petty rn. Lol
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

Attendace at last night's game: 3, 134 which is about half. Which is kinda sad to me when you're playing your rival, had to sell $1 tickets, you are undefeated in conference play, are on top of the conference, and have a good section of Purple fans in attendance.

And they were extremely excited about it. And, they probably won't get more than 1,000 or so the rest of the season.
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

Maybe I'm reading this differently...

So with no massive home court crowd, they humiliated us by 20+.

Based on that, if they had 5k or 6k they would have won by 40.

That says lots about how bad we were, that we got boatraced at a place with a mediocre home crowd.

BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

Maybe I'm reading this differently...

So with no massive home court crowd, they humiliated us by 20+.

Based on that, if they had 5k or 6k they would have won by 40.

That says lots about how bad we were, that we got boatraced at a place with a mediocre home crowd.

I'm reading it about the same. It's great that we have fan support but to be absolutely humiliated by a 12-8 Sammie squad. Let that sink in. A good Sammie squad smacks us around like we would have barely beaten an NAIA squad this season.

This isn't one of Brad's 32-3 gems. This after all is a good (not great) Sammie team. Yes they'll probably win a weak conference and then get blasted in the play in game. And we can't get within 15 points of them. I believe we are on the cusp of a slow decline that is largely related to a lack of cognition that recruiting alone will build us to the "Gonzaga" or "Wichita St" level. Kiss that goodbye. Keller is going to have to dig deep to get us back in the game next season.

I believe this season is already toast. I'm looking for signs for NEXT YEAR to be a launch pad back to respectability.
Pilotgirl
Nope. Ya'll totally missed my point. It has nothing to do with HOW MUCH we were beaten by last night. I was calling out the SAM fair weather fans.....That even tho they are having a good season, they have to pull out ALL the stops to get a half decent crowd in the arena plus a contingent of visitor's fans...to get to half capacity.
Pilotgirl
I was simply explaining how many people were in attendance and that will be their highest. To make the leap that we would've lost by double if the arena was at capacity, is a GIANT one.

Even Purple Haze had a poster about their (SAM) highest attended game and our lowest attended game & it was around the same amount. How many people here talk about the attendance numbers??? A LOT. So for some reason I can't & then my post is dissected like crazy and TONS of inferences are made from that ONE post?? I was pointing out that at least we don't have an attendance issue compared to SAM.

Pilotgirl
And their home court attendance was "massive" compared to numbers in the past.
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

Pilotgirl said:

And they were extremely excited about it. And, they probably won't get more than 1,000 or so the rest of the season.
This was exactly my point.
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

But whatevs. I'm a female so what do I know or appreciate about sports anyway?

Ummm, ok. Seems a bit like an overreaction, but, ok.

Just because we may disagree on something doesn't mean we somehow automatically assume you're not smart or don't care.

People disagree with me all the time and I know I'm smart and I know I care.

I was simply looking at your statement from a different standpoint.

sfa17
unless a miracle happens the 2018-2019 season is in the books. We have been consistently bad and we will probably continue to be this way. We are really bad offensively and defensively with 2 of the best players in the league.
BigJack85
Agreed. Sam is largely commuter. They tend to be more of a bandwagon group. The remarks I made were simply an expression of disbelief. We got beat badly. Yikes.
Pilotgirl
But is it tho?? Lol I'm over it. Do you get what I was trying to say in my OP? It wasn't anything about OUR PLAY. It was about fan attendance.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

My aunt is a professor at Sam, who runs the Houstonian. I'm helping her with Tech support so she can tweet about the game.

In 5 minutes or so, with a little luck, I'm gonna be running the Houstonian twitter account.

Lol! So apparently someone didn't know this was a joke and thought that I'd actually hacked the Sam account and they reported it.

I did not, I never had the password, all I did was show them where the twitter app is, using my own Twitter account.
Pilotgirl
BigJack85 said:

Agreed. Sam is largely commuter. They tend to be more of a bandwagon group. The remarks I made were simply an expression of disbelief. We got beat badly. Yikes.
Yup. I was there and it was brutal. Lots more of SAM fans showed up for the Men's game. As we were walking out to our car, we heard students talking in disbelief like "Wow. So we are good at basketball AND football?!" It was like it was their first BB game, which it probably was.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

unless a miracle happens the 2018-2019 season is in the books. We have been consistently bad and we will probably continue to be this way. We are really bad offensively and defensively with 2 of the best players in the league.

We still have a chance, and Shannon's got a chance at 1000 points. Don't abandon this team yet.
MasterAxe
Pilotgirl said:

But is it tho?? Lol I'm over it. Do you get what I was trying to say in my OP? It wasn't anything about OUR PLAY. It was about fan attendance.

I completely understand, and you make a great point.

My view if it was, if we go to Duke and get beat cause the crowd and atmosphere overwhelms us, that's one thing. we got destroyed by a team who's fans barely or don't even care to show any passion. Sam has little to no actual "home court advantage," and they still killed us.

That's disheartening.
millenniumkat
SFA is still the team to beat this year imho if you guys can get somewhat healthy by the time Katy rolls around....That said think most of you guys have the right attitude about it. Injuries happen, they do diminish a roster which does cause losses. However, you can't use them as excuses because every team had them at times. No one has ever or will ever say "over the last few years sfa had 15 wins over teams missing starting players due to injuries so we can't allow those wins to be counted. ". Nope. those wins count to. You guys will get healthy either this year or next and will likely be back in the mix, but let's not act as if things havent changed for your program since Underwood, Baby Dirk and Super Ginger left. The SFA MBB program has been on its way back to the rest of the pack for a few seasons now.

Attendance? Come on guys. You can do better. You can't say in one breath that Sam has been a mediocre at best team (totally accurate) for several years/decade and then question why attendance would be anything other than the same. That's just dumb.

3,124may not be great for SFA and it shouldn't, that's the marquis program of the SLC and has been for a while. Let me ask this...How many road SLC games has SFA been at this season with 3k in attendance? Hmm? So it's not specific to Sam.

Your last toad game vs #2 ACU had just over 1k in the house.....Your last HOME game vs UCA had 3,344 and previous to that was NWST which had 2,758. So let's not act as if SFA basketball has been packing the place rain or shine.

So are you going to say "Attendance is down due to all of the injuries"? And yet you call our fans fair weather? Come on...aren't ALL fans really fair weather at the end of the day?

Sam had about as many basketball fans in the stands as SFA usually has in football at BOTPW
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

TallTexan said:

My aunt is a professor at Sam, who runs the Houstonian. I'm helping her with Tech support so she can tweet about the game.

In 5 minutes or so, with a little luck, I'm gonna be running the Houstonian twitter account.

Lol! So apparently someone didn't know this was a joke and thought that I'd actually hacked the Sam account and they reported it.

I did not, I never had the password, all I did was show them where the twitter app is, using my own Twitter account.

And it's a joke that gets funnier and funnier the more I think about it.
MasterAxe
millenniumkat said:

SFA is still the team to beat this year imho if you guys can get somewhat healthy by the time Katy rolls around....That said think most of you guys have the right attitude about it. Injuries happen, they do diminish a roster which does cause losses. However, you can't use them as excuses because every team had them at times. No one has ever or will ever say "over the last few years sfa had 15 wins over teams missing starting players due to injuries so we can't allow those wins to be counted. ". Nope. those wins count to. You guys will get healthy either this year or next and will likely be back in the mix, but let's not act as if things havent changed for your program since Underwood, Baby Dirk and Super Ginger left. The SFA MBB program has been on its way back to the rest of the pack for a few seasons now.

Attendance? Come on guys. You can do better. You can't say in one breath that Sam has been a mediocre at best team (totally accurate) for several years/decade and then question why attendance would be anything other than the same. That's just dumb.

3,124may not be great for SFA and it shouldn't, that's the marquis program of the SLC and has been for a while. Let me ask this...How many road SLC games has SFA been at this season with 3k in attendance? Hmm? So it's not specific to Sam.

Your last toad game vs #2 ACU had just over 1k in the house.....Your last HOME game vs UCA had 3,344 and previous to that was NWST which had 2,758. So let's not act as if SFA basketball has been packing the place rain or shine.

So are you going to say "Attendance is down due to all of the injuries"? And yet you call our fans fair weather? Come on...aren't ALL fans really fair weather at the end of the day?

Sam had about as many basketball fans in the stands as SFA usually has in football at BOTPW

He makes some valid points.
Pilotgirl
MasterAxe said:

Pilotgirl said:

I completely understand, and you make a great point.

My view if it was, if we go to Duke and get beat cause the crowd and atmosphere overwhelms us, that's one thing. we got destroyed by a team who's fans barely or don't even care to show any passion. Sam has little to now actual "home court advantage," and they still killed us.

That's disheartening.
It is disheartening. But I don't think we lost bc of the crowd being at half capacity. I think we lost for a myriad of reasons...inconsistencies on offensive AND defense, short bench/rotation, and Sam is more consistent then we are and have good momentum. Would we have played them better at OUR home? Yes, definitely. But I think March 9th game will still be a tough one to win AT HOME, which it pains me to say. Hoping that the home crowd & a run of wins will get us ready for the revenge game.
TallTexan
Super Ginger is definitely a great nickname. Though Kevon and Shannon are awfully close if we can get the supporting cast lined out.
millenniumkat
And you DO need to be concerned about the future with Keller at the helm.

I understand it takes time to get things going for a new coach but:
A. This is the SLC, not the Big12 or ACC
B. He didn't take over HBU for crap sake, he took over the premier SLC MBB maybe of ALL TIME...and what foes he have to show for it.

Y'all need to be of the mindset that the Honeymoon is over.
millenniumkat
TallTexan said:

Super Ginger is definitely a great nickname. Though Kevon and Shannon are awfully close if we can get the supporting cast lined out.

Totally agree. Those guys are studs but they are not capable of carrying a team like the other two mentioned.
Pilotgirl
1. NWST was before the students came back from Christmas break, so of course attendance would be less.

2. UCA was all SFA in attendance due to little to no visiting fans.

3. Our numbers may be down...I would have to compare to last year....but we still have a decent crowd each game, especially for rival games (or any game).

Sure, there are fair weather fans with every team.
millenniumkat
And i will also kinda/kinda not agree on the review of the Officiating crew. It wasn't really the whole crew but rather the one guy with the part in his hair wide that it looked drawn on with White-Out. That guy was convinced that HE was going to get himself some serious TV time.

I don't know that i've ever seen a Ref make a call and then run over to the opposing HC and stand there and make a 40sec conversation each dang time. it was nuts.

Both teams had some bad calls go against them and i'll say y'all had maybe 2-3 more bad breaks in that area but when one team is shooting 70% behind the arc at one point mid during the second half it's really a mute point. It was just our night. that's all.
millenniumkat
You're just making my point. Every school was on break and would also have attendance issues due to breaks so that doesn't make the conversation. Those are just excuses. So by that logic there's only 5-9 games per year that would expect good attendance. We really need to leave attendance out of the conversation for both sakes
Pilotgirl
We talk about attendance a lot. At OUR home and at others. And will continue to. We aren't using attendance as an excuse for losing games. And actually, SFA players feed off of the fans,/perform better when more are in attendance, so it is important & should not be be left out of conversations. Fan attendance helps to make and keep supporting a good program...in any sport.
TallTexan
millenniumkat said:

And i will also kinda/kinda not agree on the review of the Officiating crew. It wasn't really the whole crew but rather the one guy with the part in his hair wide that it looked drawn on with White-Out. That guy was convinced that HE was going to get himself some serious TV time.

I don't know that i've ever seen a Ref make a call and then run over to the opposing HC and stand there and make a 40sec conversation each dang time. it was nuts.

Both teams had some bad calls go against them and i'll say y'all had maybe 2-3 more bad breaks in that area but when one team is shooting 70% behind the arc at one point mid during the second half it's really a mute point. It was just our night. that's all.

We've seen that ref crew mutlitple times and they're always bad.

In the 2nd half, it was about evenly atrocious on both ends.

SLC refs are bad, nearly always change the pace of the game, and are incompetent enough that the players are at greater risk of injury. The entire SLC deserves better.
No-look
Gotta give Sam the credit in this game. 70% from three and 69% total in the first half set the tone early. Hard for any team(especially SLC) to recover from that. It changed everything along with Kevons early foul trouble and poor shooting from the Jacks. Sam looks to be the best team in the conference right now. Jacks just need to finish strong and get to Katy. Anything can happen. In the spirit of Lloyd Christmas: sooo your saying there's a chance.....
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Nope. Ya'll totally missed my point. It has nothing to do with HOW MUCH we were beaten by last night. I was calling out the SAM fair weather fans.....That even tho they are having a good season, they have to pull out ALL the stops to get a half decent crowd in the arena plus a contingent of visitor's fans...to get to half capacity.
I got your point exactly. Probably others did as well, but look for any opportunity to put their own spin on it to make it seem to support their views.

Keep on being you. I appreciate your balanced views and insight.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

I got your point exactly. Probably others did as well, but look for any opportunity to put their own spin on it to make it seem to support their views.

Keep on being you. I appreciate your balanced views and insight.

Thank you! Now, let's all band together & root for John to win the Big Game!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
millenniumkat said:

And you DO need to be concerned about the future with Keller at the helm.

Thank you for your thoughtful and extensively-researched evaluation of SFA's coaching situation.

Serious question... What was your coach's record at Prison Tech after 2 1/2 years? How many appearances in the NCAA's during that time? Did he lose a potential SLC Player of the Year for a full season due to injury? Did he lose two point guards in the same season due to injury during that time? Just curious...
BigJack85
Millennium,

You can go back to Katfans anytime...
millenniumkat
Now that's just rude.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.