SFA / Nicholls State

23,768 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Prison Tech is going to be all alone at the top. Geezzz...
nacluth
After two games Sam Houston is the only undefeated team.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Wild theory: Spend less time going to the French quarter, less time going to Pelicans games, less time reading our own headlines.

Spend more time learning how to shoot free throws, offensive rebound...and generally not play like absolute crap in 1st halves of games.

But hey, I won the pick-em.

Ehh, I'm ok with taking the guys out to see Nola. One night didn't make us terrible at free throws.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pathetic performance tonight from everyone not named Harris or Nicholas. For just one game I'd like more than 2 players to show up. Frustrating loss tonight to a subpar team.
nacluth
MasterAxe said:

Wild theory: Spend less time going to the French quarter, less time going to Pelicans games, less time reading our own headlines.

Spend more time learning how to shoot free throws, offensive rebound...and generally not play like absolute crap in 1st halves of games.

Absolutely. Nice pick.
sfa17
im ready for another roller coaster season
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Ehh, I'm ok with taking the guys out to see Nola. One night didn't make us terrible at free throws.
You're right...but when we're ranked 342nd in FT shooting, perhaps a bit of practice will help.

But, I hope we enjoyed the Pelicans game.
Pilotgirl
Two words: FREE THROWS.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Pathetic performance tonight from everyone not named Harris or Nicholas. For just one game I'd like more than 2 players to show up. Frustrating loss tonight to a subpar team.

Yep.

And we've got to start rebounding better on the offensive side. It's like we purposefully take shots when we don't have any rebounder in position.
nacluth
I still am not sure what happened with 40 seconds left and we get three offensive rebounds and somehow the ball goes loose.
sfa17
18-0 seasons are a distant memory now. Against SELU we had home field advantage, we cant play like that on the road. Every previous record slowly getting broken
BigJack85
We are missing something with Aaron. That's the difference right now. A little more aggression on the boards early in would have set a better tone.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
MileHiJack
Wow! We definitely have the talent over the rest of conference but only start playing once we are behind. How come we are so cold in the 1st half? If we come in to play a higher opponent (Baylor, LA Tech, Alabama), our shots fall and guys are ready! We need to start these games that we should win "in control" not playing catch up because of poor execution. So frustrating,,,
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

Frustrating loss tonight to a subpar team.

I'm afraid that will be the theme to this year.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
HJC69
Nicholas was pathetic half the time. Should have had way more rebounds and points.
nacluth
Got to go take a long shower.
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't mind the rebounding tonight. It was basically even, but when a team like that just jacks up threes all night you will always lose some long rebounds.
PurpleOut
Staff
HJC69 said:

Nicholas was pathetic half the time. Should have had way more rebounds and points.

That's because they aren't that good. They couldn't score 60 points against Incarnate Word.
MasterAxe
It's been 15 minutes, so I'm over it now. **** happens.

But, there are some seriously lingering issues that continue to plague us...

(1) Another slow start. Can we not motivate the guys? Can our guys not motivate themselves? Are we just that bad at game preparation?

(2) Our absolute avoidance of adapting our defense. We seem content to let teams fire away from deep, yet we rarely, if ever, adapt our defense. Don't know if anyone noticed, but we played 2-3 zone against SELA for like 5 minutes, and that did just enough to throw them off.

(3) Third scorer is non-existent. Remember when Fitz was a thing? Gone. I'm sorry, but the fact we cant find a 3rd person (other than Kevon or Shannon) who can score the ball means either A.) We can't coach them or
B.) They're not very good/can't be taught. We are 15 games in and have no idea what we are on offense.

(4) Our young guys havent developed. Mitch and Jock are awful on defense (so their minutes are dwindling), Karl is a human foul/turnover...albeit with an improving game inside. But those guys are so key to us winning and were getting very little from them.

(5) I think were starting to press. Every time I look up Keller is talking about "We're dangerous in March," "Don't want to play us in March," etc...Here's a wild thought...maybe tone it down. It might ultimately be right, but right now were nothing close to any sort of contender in March.

(6) Free Throws. We suck at them. No further explanation needed.

(7) The aura of SFA is gone/diminished. We have no more intimidation factor.

So, sure as hell I write this we will rip off like 9 in a row, and Ill look like an idiot (Which I certainly have been before)...but for now, I sure would like to clean up some of these messes.

#Axe'em
TallTexan
MileHiJack said:

Wow! We definitely have the talent over the rest of conference but only start playing once we are behind. How come we are so cold in the 1st half? If we come in to play a higher opponent (Baylor, LA Tech, Alabama), our shots fall and guys are ready! We need to start these games that we should win "in control" not playing catch up because of poor execution. So frustrating,,,

I'm becoming more and more convinced that we don't play up or down to opponents, but up or down to the crowd.
TallTexan
MasterAxe you definitely called it tonight.
BigJack85
Great take. Excellent points. Keller is more of a recruiter than a X's and O's Coach IMO.
No-look
Where's nacluth? We need a pep talk.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Where's nacluth? We need a pep talk.

Last I heard, crying in the shower, trying to pull himself together for the post game shower thought.
sfa17
I expect better, we all expect better. We are not building a multimillion dollar practice facility to take a L to Nichols(not like that).They also lost their coach for crying out loud .
BigJack85
Ivey's not going to be down with this inconsistency for to long. He (Keller) needs to reel off about 8-9 in a row to restore some faith. Sammie could beat us this year.
PurpleOut
Staff
While we're bad at FTs (still really bad), I don't know where they got their stats from. We're ranked 271st which is far from last. But, we may be there soon at this rate.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

While we're bad at FTs (still really bad), I don't know where they got their stats from. We're ranked 271st which is far from last. But, we may be there soon at this rate.

I just don't understand how you can be that bad at FTs.
HJC69
Yes we're bad at free throws but I sure thought when we tied it with 2.33 to go and then again about l.20 we would close it out. MasterAxe analysis was spot on.
nacluth
Postgame shower thoughts: See MasterAxe's post above. Still waiting on team play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Keller is more of a recruiter than a X's and O's Coach IMO.

Disagree completely. This one's on the players.
No-look
Seems that we are a Jekel and Hyde team. I'm just ready for a Jekel run. First half was the difference. We gave them to many open looks and they capitalized on it. They killed us at the free throw line. True we played poorly but you have to give it Nichols, they did what it took to put it away. They have some nice players.
fortWorthJack
Embarrassing loss to say the least. Not much to say.
SFASawmillGuy
This was a bad loss. Plain and simple. No other explanation needed. SFA should be above this. Even in the injured state we're in. We gave them this one.
Pilotgirl
In Nichols ' defense, they can shoot the 3 and Peppers has the highest rate of FT made in all of D1. So if they get on a shooting roll, they are gonna put in points.

No excuse for SFA tho. No shots going in & the FT percentage was abysmal. If I were coach, all players would be doing FT shot drills like crazy.

Regroup on Sat. Get a nice win at home and Aaron should be back next Wednesday. Team plays different/better woth him. Not giving up yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.