SFA / Nicholls State

23,426 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HEY...OUR GIRLS ARE 2-0!!!! LET'S GO LADYJACKS!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Not giving up yet.

Oh, heck no! I had trouble going to sleep last night while thinking about that abysmal performance. But the sun came out this morning (well, it's somewhere behind the clouds where I'me located). I will never lose faith in the Jacks. Most of us admitted earlier in the season that the Jacks would probably lose 3 or 4 games during conference, so we really shouldn't be totally shocked at what happened in that little high school gym last night.

I'm making the five-hour drive to Nac this weekend to do my part in cheering the Jacks and Ladyjacks to wins over those teams from the wrong side of the Sabine. Who's with me?! Axe 'em!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

They didn't look great either, from what I saw of it (two computers, no waiting!). Never did get great separation from Nicholls, but they were in control all of the way. They just gritted it out. I still think Lamar will be the team to beat for them.
Jacks4460
Pilotgirl said:

No excuse for SFA tho. No shots going in & the FT percentage was abysmal. If I were coach, all players would be doing FT shot drills like crazy.

I bet coach has their tails on the FT line... We have to shoot better at the FT line or we will not get into the Dance its simple... Looked like JC was trying to make to many plays instead of gettting the ball to whomever was hot at the time..
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

They didn't look great either, from what I saw of it (two computers, no waiting!). Never did get great separation from Nicholls, but they were in control all of the way. They just gritted it out. I still think Lamar will be the team to beat for them.
They didn't look great. They let horrible referees get in their head in the second quarter. No way could they figure out what was, or was not, going to be called. Typical strong third quarter play really put the game away. Coasted down the stretch. Aaliyah Johnson has her best game as a Ladyjack. Serious upgrade from her senior sister. Banfield was co-player if the game, but she made way too many "what are you doing" passes.

Hayes has not played well the last couple of weeks. She clearly is not 100%. Harvey being out hurts. Hear it is a stress fracture with an expected return in a couple of weeks.

This is a very young team with a lot of upside.
SFAJack_76
As far as the men, this is a bad loss to a bad team. It never should have come down to free throws. I still think they will be okay. I still think as many as four losses wins conference.
BigJack85
I only hope we can get to 19-20 wins somehow make a run at winning the conference tournament. That would set us up for a 2019-2020 run of epic proportions.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
ljax1979
I have to disagree with Master Axe about his earlier post about not having the guys enjoy New Orleans. I believe that at our level we have to in a sense continue recruiting our players. The transfer arena has become so prevalent of late that quite frankly I was convinced that Kevon Harris was going to transfer to a Power 5 school after his Freshman year. If we continue to recruit 3 star players that produce I have to believe that they will receive interest from Power 5 schools trying to lure them from beautiful Nacogdoches. So I'm definitely okay with the coaches trying to find things to keep the guys entertained while on the road.

In regards to Davonte Fitzgerald. There were several times during the Bama game where Jimmy Dykes commented dthat he always takes bad/heavily contested shots and ever since that game nearly every time I see Devonte I have to agree that his tendency is to take low percentage shots with a defender right on him. In games where we're playing against D1 opponents he's shooting 39% from within the 3 point line. For a big man that figure has to be much higher.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

Not giving up yet.

Oh, heck no! I had trouble going to sleep last night while thinking about that abysmal performance. But the sun came out this morning (well, it's somewhere behind the clouds where I'me located). I will never lose faith in the Jacks. Most of us admitted earlier in the season that the Jacks would probably lose 3 or 4 games during conference, so we really shouldn't be totally shocked at what happened in that little high school gym last night.

I'm making the five-hour drive to Nac this weekend to do my part in cheering the Jacks and Ladyjacks to wins over those teams from the wrong side of the Sabine. Who's with me?! Axe 'em!
I'll be there.

Still frustrated from last night, but I've calmed down some. I keep seeing people commenting here and on Twitter that nobody fears us anymore. I've always believed that no player or team fears anyone (if you do you shouldn't be an athlete), it's the exact opposite. You WANT to play those tougher/bigger teams. We're going to get everyone's best shot every single night. The league is not good this year, I think 4-5 losses can still win the title.

Right now we need to figure out how to combat that, because the opposite works against us. It's more difficult than we all think to get up for an average opponent, in front of 214 people. 214 was the announced attendance last night. I'm bored just thinking about that. Going in to games thinking we'll win based on talent won't cut it. It's up to everyone, players and the staff to be focused every game from the opening tip.

While I'm fine with the team having fun and doing things like going to the Pelicans game (they deserve it as student athletes), I also think in regards to above, that we should start spending extra time with film instead.

Just my two cents.
sfa17
I hope this is the kick and fire the team needs. every team will want to break their losing record again us. The commentators know and the players know. "This blank team is 0- 7 against sfa in the last 5 years.. etc. " They will come out to play. Southland is a bad league but you can't coast to a title.

Really disappointed results. But I hope we can turn it around Saturday
cboothe09
In reference to the Transfer Portal, I got a little on edge when they said Richie Riley and his staff were in the house. TJ is a grad transfer candidate. The exact type of player Riley likes to recruit...
nacluth
True, but South Alabama is basically a lateral move to a program with less upside. Mobile may be a much bigger town, but the team is still not great in a slightly less mediocre conference. They pull about 1,500 to their games. Surely TJ would like to be BMOC here than the new guy there.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

They didn't look great. They let horrible referees get in their head in the second quarter. No way could they figure out what was, or was not, going to be called. Typical strong third quarter play really put the game away. Coasted down the stretch. Aaliyah Johnson has her best game as a Ladyjack. Serious upgrade from her senior sister. Banfield was co-player if the game, but she made way too many "what are you doing" passes.

Hayes has not played well the last couple of weeks. She clearly is not 100%. Harvey being out hurts. Hear it is a stress fracture with an expected return in a couple of weeks.

This is a very young team with a lot of upside.

I know this is a Jacks thread, but one more comment about the Ladyjacks. I agree that the younger Johnson girls are both much better than Big Sister. She looks like a D-2 level player to me - slow and not athletic. As to the officials, I saw them call five traveling calls against SFA in the first quarter alone. Travelling has got to be a 'point of emphasis' for officials this year. I've never seen so many called, in both the men and women's games. I'm getting sick of it. Many of those calls are nonexistent or almost meaningless in the course of the game. Let 'em, play!
nacluth
It's the quick shuffle off of the pivot foot. Maybe I can find the video for it, but forever if you initiated your dribble and changed stance, no one would call traveling as long as the ball was close to hitting the floor. Now it's clear that the ball has to hit by the time your pivot foot releases. I'm not saying that the rule has changed, but essentially the enforcement has changed quick foot work off the catch. It's annoying mainly because it's so arbitrarily enforced.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.