SFA / Louisiana Tech

27,607 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RedRiverLa
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

MasterAxe said:

nacluth said:

Fouled out but worth it!
Sure could have use that point we sacrificed with the "worth it" dunk.
I was talking about the crowd energy. Maybe we would have woken up without it, but it took the whole place to another level. Whether Kevon in their longer would have a better result is possible, but at the time it made everyone leave their seats for the first time this year.

Terrible final minute execution, but Shannon looked like he was struggling mentally at the end even though we rode him there. Last possession was a complete mess.

A good game without Aaron though. Axe 'em.

I agree Nacluth....from then on out, the crowd was in it & didn't stop. You had to be here ti get it...the energy & with the players so tired...I am sure the crowd fueled them on. But I want to ring their neck for that final possession.

I agree the dunk energized the crowd, but it did so as he was going up and slamming it down, most were up and screaming too loud to even realize a Tech has been called. it wasn't the blatant hanging on the rim that provided the energy. I have to think just a couple of more minutes out of an inspired Kevon could have changed things as he was really starting to be aggressive and take over somewhat, Which would have taken some of the pressure and exhaustion away from Shannon and Fitz.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

we looked more like the team I hope for in the first half and in coming back from 12 down in the 2nd half.

Totally agree with that statement. That's the second time this season that we came back from almost-certain defeat in the last few minutes.

The Jacks are definitely making progress toward having a good conference season. Eight days to rest up and get ready for a couple of tough road games at ULM and Baylor.
BigJack85
Frankly I'm surprised we hung in there. With all the injuries I thought we'd lose by 13
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

Anyone else worried about the insane minutes our star players are having to log?

Shannon & Kevon (when not fouling out) are having to play like 38+ a night.

I fear those guys wearing down.
Legitimate concern, but who else plays if you want to win the game. Four scholarship players out due to injury, and Augustin due to mono. Heck, the two walk ons may get enough minutes to letter. When Bain got hurt, I about passed out. Never seen anything like it.
No-look
We're playing better basketball. Should be ready when conference gets here.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

MasterAxe said:

Anyone else worried about the insane minutes our star players are having to log?

Shannon & Kevon (when not fouling out) are having to play like 38+ a night.

I fear those guys wearing down.
Legitimate concern, but who else plays if you want to win the game. Four scholarship players out due to injury, and Augustin due to mono. Heck, the two walk ons may get enough minutes to letter. When Bain got hurt, I
about passed out. Never seen anything like it.

Surely there is a way to rotate the minutes. I know the current rotation necessitates the maxing our minutes. But, can't we find 3-4 minutes each half for Shannon/Kevon. It's like they never leave the floor.

I'm not terribly concerned about winning games now.

I want non-worn out players in confernce.
TallTexan
I don't disagree on the minutes, it's just hard to pull back the workhorses when you're lineup is changing week to week due to illness and sickness.
SFAJack_76
What a game by both teams. I never like losing, but really appreciate the moxy of the Jacks that could play.

We really missed Augustin in the second half when LaTech moved to driving the lane. Bogues is simply not the on ball defender Augustin is. He couldn't keep up, so their PG drove to the rim or drove and dished for one of the best three point shooting exhibitions I have ever seen.

Bogues was great. Fitzgerald was by leaps and bounds better than he has been all season. Hughes, Seraille, and Walker looked like freshmen. Having a true point guard on the court makes them look better. As good as Bogues played, he is not that guy. Nicholas ... I think he may be trying too hard to make the great play. He plays too much out of control. Bain had a very good game, particularly on the defensive end. Kevon was solid with a couple of very questionable fouls called against him. Even if he had just hung on the rim, the tech probably would not have been called. Pulling himself up was what appropriately called. He just can't do that.
nacluth
A couple thoughts of my own:

Tonight was the first night my missus and I got by ourselves in a couple months, I'd be remiss if I didn't thank her publicly for suggesting we go to the game. (Thank you Hollywood for the particularly bad movies this weekend.)

I was pretty sure it was going to be chaos without Aaron again. It wasn't. Shannon is no natural point, but he did a good job generally speaking tonight - especially in the first half. A solid 33 point, 7 assist night. He logged 44 minutes. 20 more than his average last year and 10 more than his too high average this year. He looked blank at the end, but his leadership kept us in the game the whole way.

Fitz and Kevon were great. Fitz shooting and Kevon rebounding. I know Bain had more but Kevon fought for his like the old Kevon. He's waking up. Fitz was the real deal. If he can play like this, then we have a team when Aaron is back. Bain is so physical. Our starting five can beat any other starting five.

Our bench while talented (including Karl here) is still developing. They were okay - not great not bad. We needed them a little more. In the end we just didn't have a sixth man to do damage. Karl tries, Mitch tries, but they are not quite disciplined enough yet. Maybe by conference. Jock and Oddyst weren't bad, just weren't too involved.

I thought we would win in overtime and really had the advantage, but most of our experience was on the bench. I did not like how the game was called, and I'll rarely gripe about officiating (after the game ) but it seemed uneven all night. Still should have finished. Tech got ridiculously hot at the wrong time from deep and ice cold at the line to let us back.

Had a great time with the crowd. Needed more people, but the ones that were there woke up. Thanks.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Didn't need my thoughts, you said it all better.
TallTexan
Man, I just got back to Palestine & I'm still riled up. Between Carthel's intro and that game, I feel like I could turn into the hulk and flip a few cars. The crowd was charged up (and somewhat cantankerous) tonight and I loved every minute of it.

The Good:
  • Shannon played well at the 1. And he was hitting shots too like old Shannon.
  • That's the kind of night we signed Fitz for.
  • Bain is playing better and seemed to set the tone at times on D tonight.
  • I know the Tech was bad, but it looks like Kevon's finally healthy.
  • The crowd.
  • This team's fight.

The Bad:
  • Turnovers to start the second half. We just couldn't get synced for a few minutes.

The Ugly
  • Those refs. We had two or three momentum-changing shot blocks that they called as fouls. The charge call on Kevon. Letting them tackle Bain(I think) and then calling a jump ball. I think at one point they called 7 fouls on us in a row, while letting everything go on the opposing end. They were piss poor in the second half.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Tonight was the first night my missus and I got by ourselves in a couple months, I'd be remiss if I didn't thank her publicly for suggesting we go to the game. (Thank you Hollywood for the particularly bad movies this weekend.)
Thank Mrs. Luth for us. We definitely play better when you're at the game, as we discovered last season.

And you definitely got your money's worth out of it with the halftime entertainment.
Pilotgirl
I'm still waiting on that Tech and ball possession for #11 charging into Bain while hurt on purpose.....Yes. I'm petty like that. I hope we give it to them next year, if we play them.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I'm still waiting on that Tech and ball possession for #11 charging into Bain while hurt on purpose.....Yes. I'm petty like that. I hope we give it to them next year, if we play them.
Lol I'm with you. I was yelling at our guys to get their money's worth for the intentional fouls at the end of regulation. This is why I couldn't coach. I'd yell more than Underwood.
nacluth
I went hoarse for the first time ever. Guessed I yelled too much.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I went hoarse for the first time ever. Guessed I yelled too much.
Haha me too. I couldn't even talk by the time we left.

This was me by overtime:

SFAJack_76
Maybe he has had it off for a while, but I noticed Fitzgerald was not wearing the knee brace last night. All along, Keller has said that he just needed to get to the point that he was not afraid of the knee failing again. What I really liked was that he made some tough plays inside.
SFAJack_76
BTW, kudos to all that made a long drive last night to support our Jacks. That was some rough weather. Trust everyone made it home safe.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

BTW, kudos to all that made a long drive last night to support our Jacks. That was some rough weather. Trust everyone made it home safe.

That was some weather for sure! I drove from Palestine, like Texan and then home to Jacksonville. It took me 1 hr 20 minutes to get there...usually takes about an hour and then right over an hour to get home ....usually takes 45 minutes. Just could not go over 50-55. And i need new tires
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

That was some weather for sure! I drove from Palestine, like Texan and then home to Jacksonville. It took me 1 hr 20 minutes to get there...usually takes about an hour and then right over an hour to get home ....usually takes 45 minutes. Just could not go over 50-55. And i need new tires

Yep it took me right around an hour and 20 to get home.

And that's what's crazy, I've got newish tires but they weren't liking those wet roads at all. Think it's because it's as smooth as glass in some areas.

But we enjoyed it and are looking forward to being back for Bama in a few weeks, we need that place to be rocking from the start.
No-look
Saw where Tech shot 69.2 second half.
Pilotgirl
I am going to ULM and Baylor game. Anybody else?
PurpleOut
Staff
Got back too late last night to post, weather was ridiculous.

Most of my comments echo everyone else, was very encouraged afterwards, even though I hate losing more than anything. Was pretty bummed when I heard of Aaron being out, I've never seen anything like this for a team of injuries. But thought we played pretty well overall. That was LaTech's best shooting night of the season. Credit for them to making a lot of tough shots (definitely credit their PG for some circus shots around the rim), but they won't shoot that well very often. The 3 from the corner that clanked off the rim, backwards off the backboard and in killed me. But we didn't give up, down 15 and easily could have packed it in and called it a night.

Sat courtside last night (probably not good for the refs) and thought it was an awesome crowd. I know several people that were out of town that had tickets and couldn't make it. So kudos to everyone that braved the weather. The students and Purple Haze especially deserve a shout out. Their section was full and spilled over to behind the basket, hope we can continue to grow that.

And yeah, sorry but the officiating was absolutely atrocious. The 3rd foul on Kevon was weak, and if you make a call like that you have to make the same call all game. But they didn't. Literally two possessions later LaTech did the same hook and got away with it, several people down there including myself let the closest ref know. Same goes for the moving screen on Mitch. Was a close call, but both teams were running that same screen ALL night and that was the ONLY time it was called. When it mattered. Also, Shannon got fouled on his missed three at the end of regulation. Should have been 3 FTs to win it. But whatever, we had plenty of our own chances to win it.

All that matters is that we continue to get better, and I think we have each of the last 4 games. I don't know what else we can do on the minutes. Last night was just worse case scenario, with an OT game...without two PGs...with everyone else hurt...and most of the team in foul trouble. We just have to get
healthy.
nacluth
Great post Matt.

I saw you chirping at the refs most of the second. We had (especially Karl) tons of moving screens all night but only Mitch got called. I heard the slap on Shannon's wrist sitting 20 rows back and called the foul myself and was baffled when there was no call. Much clearer than Des' 4 point play. Oh well.

One of Underwood's worst tendacies as a coach was when things were rough, he would ride Walkup too long. Once everyone figured out that he wasn't passing anymore, it would be 3 on 1. He was good enough that he could still fight through it sometimes, but that's how we lost the final offensive possession against ND. Basically the same with Bogues last night. It's tough to trust new guys, but Oddyst was wide open twice at the end but no trust in him. Not a gripe, but can't go back to the well too many times.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

We came over from Shreveport and as much as I wanted to beat Tech for bragging rights, I was pleased with the effort. 5 people fouled out and a 31-18 foul discrepancy FOR the visiting team. I have never seen that combination.
Lumberjack Battalion
TallTexan
RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

We came over from Shreveport and as much as I wanted to beat Tech for bragging rights, I was pleased with the effort. 5 people fouled out and a 31-18 foul discrepancy FOR the visiting team. I have never seen that combination.
Did Jock foul out? I thought I saw that on the box score, which surprised me, because I don't remember him being in that long to have so many fouls.

Seemed to me he kept getting called for being in between LA Tech and the rim, including on what should have been atleast a blocked shot or two. If so, I'll take that.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Sat courtside last night (probably not good for the refs) and thought it was an awesome crowd. I know several people that were out of town that had tickets and couldn't make it. So kudos to everyone that braved the weather. The students and Purple Haze especially deserve a shout out. Their section was full and spilled over to behind the basket, hope we can continue to grow that.

I was thinking last night that next season I'm going to have to move up several rows on my season tickets. It was like the refs couldn't even hear me from my seats.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

Got back too late last night to post, weather was ridiculous.

Most of my comments echo everyone else, was very encouraged afterwards, even though I hate losing more than anything. Was pretty bummed when I heard of Aaron being out, I've never seen anything like this for a team of injuries. But thought we played pretty well overall. That was LaTech's best shooting night of the season. Credit for them to making a lot of tough shots (definitely credit their PG for some circus shots around the rim), but they won't shoot that well very often. The 3 from the corner that clanked off the rim, backwards off the backboard and in killed me. But we didn't give up, down 15 and easily could have packed it in and called it a night.

And yeah, sorry but the officiating was absolutely atrocious. The 3rd foul on Kevon was weak, and if you make a call like that you have to make the same call all game. But they didn't. Literally two possessions later LaTech did the same hook and got away with it, several people down there including myself let the closest ref know. Same goes for the moving screen on Mitch. Was a close call, but both teams were running that same screen ALL night and that was the ONLY time it was called. When it mattered. Also, Shannon got fouled on his missed three at the end of regulation. Should have been 3 FTs to win it. But whatever, we had plenty of our own chances to win it.

All that matters is that we continue to get better, and I think we have each of the last 4 games. I don't know what else we can do on the minutes. Last night was just worse case scenario, with an OT game...without two PGs...with everyone else hurt...and most of the team in foul trouble. We just have to get
healthy.

Nailed it. I agree we can't blame it all on the refs, but boy were they atrocious and the stat sheet proves it was very one sided. What's sort of lost is that we still had a somewhat uncontested three from the top of the key to send it to a second overtime. But we should have been given 3 from the free throw line on Shannon's foul-game over. And our last offensive set when we only needed two to win shouldnt have been a jack-up three (no pun intended)
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

I was thinking last night that next season I'm going to have to move up several rows on my season tickets. It was like the refs couldn't even hear me from my seats.
it wouldn't matter, in addition to being blind, they were also deaf.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
Last thing on the refs. And I'll just leave this here...the ref two feet away called a charging foul on tech around the baseline. The ref on the other side of the court, blocked by two players (beacause we had the same sight line) runs in and reverses the call.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Did Jock foul out? I thought I saw that on the box score, which surprised me, because I don't remember him being in that long to have so many fouls.

Seemed to me he kept getting called for being in between LA Tech and the rim, including on what should have been atleast a blocked shot or two. If so, I'll take that.

Actually, I was going by what Kevon posted on his Twitter about the number of foul outs.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
RedRiverLa said:

TallTexan said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Actually, I was going by what Kevon posted on his Twitter about the number of foul outs. So, my info is only as good as that
Lumberjack Battalion
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

Last thing on the refs. And I'll just leave this here...the ref two feet away called a charging foul on tech around the baseline. The ref on the other side of the court, blocked by two players (beacause we had the same sight line) runs in and reverses the call.
If this is the play I think it is, our guy was inside the restricted area arc where there cannot be a charge call. That would be why the first refs call was reversed.
Ballwatch
Shannon Bogues - what a heroic effort. As a senior on this team, this team trusts him with the ball. He was on fire.

Fitz - it's obvious he's getting more confident without his brace and not babying his knee as much. His career high last night will pay dividends going forward.

Kevon - Welcome back, he looked Kevon of old out there with his tenacity and attacking the rim. I appreciate his heart and emotion on the court but has to be careful. I agree with the previous poster that we could have used that momentum and few more minutes out of him. He was the leading rebounder when he fouled out.

Karl - athleticism oozing out of his ears but still has some growing to do. Confident the staff will teach him how to maximize his talents without being a liability on the floor.

Bain - he's a workhorse, you can expect him to go out and give you 110% every game, fighting for rebounds, protecting the rim. Keep it up Bain

Gru - Enough said

I don't know about y'all but team I saw last night has reenergized my excitement for this season.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Actually, we "only" had four foul out. Nicholas had four fouls in 13 minutes, so it fealt like he fouled out. Hughes was on the floor for 21 largely ineffective minutes, which is why folks don't recall him playing much.

Walker had a good look at the three to send it into a second OT. It was on line, but about four inches short. The LaTech guy with the dunk, rather than running the clock out, would have looked really bad. Walker was playing hurt also.

Those refs need to not be invited back to Nacogdoches. Horribly inconsistent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.