SFA / Louisiana Tech

27,327 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RedRiverLa
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (5-2) vs. Louisiana Tech (6-3)

WHEN: DEC. 7 (FRI) 6:30 P.M.
WHERE: WRJ Coliseum (Nacogdoches, TX)
WATCH: ESPN+

Friday night will be a rematch of the game that changed the destinies of two teams last year. Last year, SFA needed a tough road win to give them the confidence to not only challenge but beat teams from "bigger" conferences. Kevon Harris' final drive in Ruston solidified the 2017-2018 squad as a unit and gave them the swagger to topple LSU and push Missouri to the final seconds. The emotional win over the school where Keller started his coaching career was the promise of a strong season that saw its fulfillment in March against Texas Tech in the NCAA tourney.

Last year's LaTech team had only one loss to a ranked Alabama coming into that match, but the surprising beginning had a nightmare end as the SFA loss was the first of a run of defeats that had a star player leaving by Christmas and the bottom end of the C-USA in March. Losing for the first time at home after 11 previous wins seemed to be the trigger to unwind the Bulldogs. They may still be trying to get on track a year later.

This year's Bulldogs are led by their upperclassmen backcourt - primarily Daquan Bracey (Jr) and Derric Jean (Sr). Plenty of faces will be familiar from last year. This is a strong rebounding team and an efficient offense - even if they generally have struggled from long range. Five players are averaging double digits in scoring, but no one player lights it up every night. They have beaten two Southland opponents (Sam and HBU) already by seven points each. Their best win of the year was against a very reduced Wichita State and they are undefeated at home, but they have lost to every slightly significant D1 team they have faced. Tomorrow night is a big game to right this season.

SFA needs solid guard play to keep LaTech from collapsing back on our bigs. They are not a high pressure defense preferring to let their opponents come through them. Oddyst and Jock are probably going to be called upon to shoulder the biggest loads of their young careers. Kevon and Shannon are going to try their best to continually drive into the teeth of the defense and soften them up, but how well they are backed up by outside shooting may be the key. Bain, Mitch, and Fitz need to gobble up the boards while Karl needs to minimize his liabilities. The game last year was won by Kevon showing that he can get to the line at will. This year's game will be no different. It's going to be a battle for the paint. Hopefully that 91 will become 92.

2 freshmen
4 sophmores
6 juniors
1 seniors

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Game day!!!

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Man now I'm fired up! Let's play at 8 AM!
TallTexan
We should really see about creating a challenge series with Louisiana Tech in our non football sports. That'd be fun matchups every year.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

We should really see about creating a challenge series with Louisiana Tech in our non football sports. That'd be fun matchups every year.
I agree! Less than three hours between Nacogdoches and Ruston. The two have a lot in common. The old Ladyjack/Lady Techsters basketball games were well attended and fun.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Also ugly Christmas sweater night and a big halftime show...the place to be.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Well, this is not optimal.

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

What? I was told it was going to be Nacluth's Daring Acts of Dunkery tonight. I was ready to watch some airtime.
nacluth
That's the $1000/ticket after-party show.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

As long as you still jump out of the rafters for the finale dunk, I'm in.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

With all proceeds going to the Varsity Club, I trust.
No-look
Plan on making game. Just in case the roads are flooded(I live in the back woods) where can it be viewed at?
TallTexan
No-look said:

Plan on making game. Just in case the roads are flooded(I live in the back woods) where can it be viewed at?
Looks like ESPN+
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Looks like ESPN+
Is that Watch ESPN or different?
TallTexan
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Looks like ESPN+
Is that Watch ESPN or different?
Different. You've got to sign up. Think it's $5 per month. But there should be a free trial option.
RedRiverLa
We're here. Drove over from Shreveport, has it really ever stopped raining since Tarleton State?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
It has not.
RedRiverLa
So, sorry I'm late to the party, I'm sure it's somewhere on the board, but why no Aaron?
Lumberjack Battalion
CertifiedAxeman98
Also don't see GRU?
RedRiverLa
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Also don't see GRU?

We were just saying that!
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Aaron is sick. Don't know about Gru. Bain and Nicholas both starting. Only forward on bench is Mitch.
nacluth
PurpleOut got the good seats tonight!

nacluth
Best start of year!
Jyank24
Defense looks good, and active...Better spacing on the floor. Looking closer to the team we expected...super athletic
SFA Jack Fanatic
Looking like a TEAM.
Ljacks&Longnecks
According to Rob Meyers....short bench tonight due to injuries and illness.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Has Jock played?
Jyank24
He had a little burn..picked up a quick foul
Jyank24
Physical game, crazy amount of offensive fouls called, and letting them bump on the defensive end more than we're used to seeing
SFA Jack Fanatic
Karl is a foul magnet.
MasterAxe
Impressive so far.

We have one tendency on offense to drive and leave our feet with no where to go. Refs calling the offensive foul tonight and a lot of them are us getting out of control and no where to go.

But, other than that we've looked really good.
SFA Jack Fanatic
We're hitting our threes. That's the difference at this point.
Jyank24
They're def getting away with a ton of contact on our guys. Not trying to be a homer, however we don't look to be getting many calls. D, looks ok, being helped by some missed shots by La Tech, much better ball movement tonight

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.