Story Poster
Stephen F. Austin Football

Raw Audio: SFA's Conque talks moments after season ending loss to NSU

November 18, 2017

Raw Audio: SFA's Conque talks moments after season ending loss to NSU

10,510 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OldSchool
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hard to put a bow on a season ending butt whooping. He clearly knows his job just got harder.
RedRiverLa
Same script, same talking points. This recap could easily work for several games this season. With a lot left to play for, this team basically gave up the season two games ago.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
I agree with the "same script". Etc. Etc. Etc. The big mystery to me is how he started 8-5 and it's just been downhill since the. No player development of note No forward steps in one area or another- I'll give an example: defense. Looked horrible early on and then had a few decent games. Last two games just an absolute collapse. I was hopeful with a new DC our defense would start to round into shape. Instead it's more of the same if not worse.

At the end of JC I thought. "We can't be worse". "There's got to be light at the end of the tunnel". I was absolutely wrong. At least JC gave us two conference titles and a Little hope once in a while.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RedRiverLa
True, at 8-5 they weren't his recruits. We complain a lot about student and crowd support, but you have to give them something to support. (I think our crowds are impressive considering our records the last several years) We're diehards, but it's hard to sit there game after game and enjoy this product. I found myself this year sitting there enjoying watching Alize Ward play, thats about all I could hang my hat on. When we barely beat UIW, I had a bad feeling.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Gazette1
Bad season1 Little hope for the future. All we will hear is how much better the future will be. I want follow them if Conque returns next year. Our offensive line has gotten weaker and weaker since he has been here and our defensive continues to be non-existent. I wonder who he will fire this time. I've had it.
TheRevSFA
Tennessee Tech just fired their coach after two years of suck. We've given Conque 3
INiedrauer
Staff
TheRevSFA said:

Tennessee Tech just fired their coach after two years of suck. We've given Conque 3

Well, I get my wish and we get our bet:

One of us gets to be right in 2018. Cheers.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TheRevSFA
I don't want to be right, but I will be.

Conque is an uninspired, ****acular coach who solely wants the state of Texas retirement benefits. He doesn't adjust, doesn't develop a new offense, Byrd's "bend and don't break defense" has broken more than bent.

Harper, at least, tried to win.

Conque doesn't, or, if he does, doesn't make an effort to show it.

TallTexan
I just can't say I'm optimistic about our chances next season with Conque. Although I'm not 100% sold that firing him is the right option, I'm not sure retaining him is either. We might trend up, but I'd say playoffs or bust is the measuring stick for me at this point since it looks like he's sticking around.

I wouldn't be opposed to kicking the tires on a few coaches though, Traylor & Les Miles among them. Or hell, call Doug Meacham and see if he's tired of coaching at Kansas yet. They football worse than we do.
SFASawmillGuy
Harper was an awful coach who got incredibly lucky with 2 years using players he didn't recruit.
Clint is a proven winner who's had some seriously bad luck with injuries at SFA, not to mention he inherited a pretty bad team outside of Gus's senior class.
I'm not saying I've been impressed with Clint at all, I'm saying he is a good coach, and honestly no coach would've been able to do much here with the injuries we've had. That's the frustrating truth about it.
SFAJack_76
TheRevSFA said:

Conque is an uninspired, ****acular coach who solely wants the state of Texas retirement benefits. He doesn't adjust, doesn't develop a new offense, Byrd's "bend and don't break defense" has broken more than bent.

You lose me completely on the Harper tried to win comment. His last season I saw a guy that appeared to not care at all in actions and words.

I get, and share, the dissatisfaction with current state. One more year like the last three and a change must be made.
TallTexan
Wyoming just fired Bob Stitt for going 7-3 after 3 years. Not saying their situation is related to ours, just that Stitt is a great coach.
Gazette1
If there is no buy out then this fan will not buy tickets next year and I have heard many more people say the same thing. They will see a sizable reduction in my contribution to athletics next year also,
BigJack85
There will be no buyout per sources. I too am very disappointed. The best this will get next year is 6-5. If that's what we went on this 5 year journey for then, "Meah".

For the record I don't think it's that Conque doesn't care or isn't trying hard. It's plain and simple he's a $h!++y recruiter. Schemes are reasonable, most of the time the guys "appear" prepared. After 4 years of recruiting we still don't have a quarterback, offensive line or defensive backs. That's a lot of holes that haven't been filled. Staffing.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Wyoming just fired Bob Stitt for going 7-3 after 3 years. Not saying their situation is related to ours, just that Stitt is a great coach.

Stitt was at Montana. Important distinction. Wyoming FBS. Montana FCS. Even more important. Montana - - - probably the most storied 1aa program only gave him a 3 year contract. SFA hardly the bastion of 1aa football saw to giving Conque a three extension after one solitary year of 8-5. A questionable 8-5. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
TheRevSFA
SFAJack_76 said:

TheRevSFA said:

You lose me completely on the Harper tried to win comment. His last season I saw a guy that appeared to not care at all in actions and words.

I get, and share, the dissatisfaction with current state. One more year like the last three and a change must be made.

I should have said up to his last season. Conque this year reminds me of that last Harper year.

**** i'd take stitt right now over Conque
OldSchool
Very disappointed in post that talks about no buy out of FB coaches contract. Tried listening to his comments after last game and it seemed very scripted and boring. No wonder our players are very disconnected with our head coach. Now that his son is gone doesn't seem to really care if the Jacks win or lose, he just drawing a pay check.

I looked over bios of his present staff and two guys have ant Texas ties and I feel that is why our recruiting is way behind the other schools our conference, nobody knows them ??? Its not rocket science, why would a kid want to come to a program in the dumps with no change in sight?

Making changes in head coaching is never easy, but it is a fact of life in college sports. If we don't make a change soon, you can write off playing competitively in the top tier of our conference for at least 2 years If AD is comfortable with that performance we will never get the quality of players anyone needs to be competitive in top tier.

I encourage everyone to contact AD and voice your disappointment if no contract buy out is on the table .
TallTexan
I'm still officially on Team Traylor. We need to hire him as HC before someone else does.
OldSchool
Just to make sure there is no confusion on my post about feeling its time for a coaching change at SFA. I am a Lumberjack fan forever and want nothing more than the Lumberjack football program to get out of bottom of the conference and get back in the top finishers where we have been before and need to get back to consistently.
Only way to do that is to bring in the right players and at this point that is where we seem to be falling short.

Just read the article on the football website about the early signing of new recruits and welcome each and everyone of them to the Lumberjack Football program. Read bios on each player and truly hope some of these guys can help pull us out of the hole we seem to be in at this point. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The only part of article that really shocked me was at the very end when kudos were given to the 2017 team for going 4-1 against Texas based teams in the Southland conference . Something that hasn't been done since 1995.
Over the years the Southland conference has changed many times and teams have come and gone. Just for the record, we beat Lamar (1-8), Houston Baptist (0-9), Abilene Christian (2-7), and Incarnate Word (1-7).
In 1995 none of these teams were in the Southland Conference. I guess they could have said we won the Texas Division of the Southland conference. Problem with that is at the bottom of the Southland conference

Looking forward to following the progress of the recent additions to our Lumberjack family. Good Luck to all of them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.