GAME WEEK: (RV) MEMPHIS

16,022 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA (6-3) vs. (RV) MEMPHIS (4-2)

WHEN: NOV. 21 (SAT.) 11:00 A.M.
WHERE: MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE (LIBERTY BOWL MEMORIAL STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+

The Memphis Tigers, out of the American Conference, have been one of the up and coming football programs in the FBS.

Since the 2014 season the program has gone 61-25 (7-9 against ranked opponents) capped off by the best season in program history 2019.

During the 2019 season the Tigers climbed as high as #15 in the AP Poll with a 12-1 record, a crowning of the American Conference Championship, and an invitation to the Cotton Bowl Classic to face BIG10 powerhouse #10 Penn State. Then Head Coach Mike Norvell left for the head coaching job at Florida State before the bowl game.

The 2020 season was promising for Memphis starting the season off 1-0 with a #16 ranking with new Head Coach Ryan Silverfield at the helm for his first ever head coaching job. Silverfield has been on the Memphis coach staff for several seasons including the three straight seasons where the Tigers were crowned American Conference West Division Champions. Silverfield has coached on every level from high school to the NFL.

Now at 4-2 with one near loss at #19 SMU (27-30) and one blowout loss to #7 Cincinnati (10-49) the Tigers after several game cancellations will no doubt be hungry to get back on track starting with SFA.

Memphis is a perfect 4-0 at home (24-1 at home since 2017) and have not lost a home game since a one-point loss to #9 UCF (30-31) back in Oct of 2018.

The Tiger's offense averages 355 yards passing per game behind the arm of Arizona State Senior transfer QB Brady White 6-3; 210, the 2019 Johnny United Golden Arm and Manning Award Finalist at ASU. In his career at ASU White completed 515 passes for 7,310 yards and 59 TDs. For 2020 White has completed 155 passes for 2,128 yards and 22 TDs with a 61% completion rate. In his last contest against South Florida, White completed 30 passes for 437 yards and 4 TDs. His season high came at home against UCF completing 34 passes for 486 yards and 6 TDs.

White's favorite target is junior wideout #4 Calvin Austin III 5-9; 162 GP:6;REC:36;YDS:647;TD:7 and senior TE #5 Sean Dykes 6-2; 224 GP:6;REC:32;YDS:435;TD:6.

The rushing attack is led by sophomore RB #2 Rodrigues Clark 107 carries for 476 yards, 1 TD (4.4 average)

To say the offense is a high powered one is an understatement as the Tigers average 509 yards of offense a game at 6.3 yards per play and over 33 points.

But they do struggle on the other side of the ball on defense giving up 519 yards per game and 6.6 yards per play, so basically, the Tigers have to outscore their opponents to win.

The defense is led by senior DL #1 O'Bryan Goodson 6-1; 300 GP:6;TKL:23;TFL:8.0;SCK:4.0;FF:2;FR:1;QBH:1 Sophomore DB #15 Quindell Johnson 6-1; 195 GP:6;TKL:46;TFL:1.5;BU:4;FR:1FF:1 and senior DB: #32 Jacobi Francis 5-11; 193 GP:5;TKL:20;TFL:2.0;INT:2;BU:4

This has been a season to remember, a long time in the waiting for loyal SFA fans, who have for many years, with high hopes, endured many let downs and disappointments when it came to SFA football.

Yes, it will need to be all hands-on deck and a perfect game for the Lumberjacks to have any chance of extending their winning streak to 7, but regardless of the outcome on Saturday this program has people taking notice, that the corner has been turned, and from here on out it will be full steam ahead in 2021.

Axe'Em
SFAJack_76
O-line. Played Saturday without Beymer and Porterfield. Both injured in the EKU game. Replaced by a Juco transfer and a true freshman. Ingram went down in the fourth quarter. His replacement was a true freshman.

So, we could be going against a very good D1 team with three true freshmen, a Juco transfer, and a sophomore center that hadn't played, or practiced, that position since high school until three weeks ago.

Coach Young won't sleep well this week.
BigJack85
Wow. I knew we were depleted against Pitt St but I thought the game plan was to be close to full strength against Memphis. It's going to be a long day if we don't have our A team on the field.
SFASawmillGuy
This is essentially our championship, so I doubt we lay down for them. Anyone who can play more than likely will play. I'm sure coach Carthel is dusting off any gadget plays he hasn't used yet specifically for this game. In all likelihood, this won't be a close game. We are as good as any FCS team out there but Memphis is a phenomenal team.
Our best bet will be controlling the clock on offense. We don't need to be predictable in our playcalling, but we need to be smart.
Use our short passing game and play action passes. Set up deeper passes and use our passing game to set up runs. And we need TDs, not field goals.
Defensively we have been playing lights out, but Memphis is going to score. We will just need to keep pressure on them and force them to make mistakes.
If they make mistakes AND we capitalize on them, we can win the game. If they play mistake free football like SMU did, it might end up like another SMU game.
Either way, 6 wins is phenomenal for SFA, and regardless of the outcome on Saturday the foundation is set for truly what I believe to be an FCS title run in 2021.
TallTexan
This is either the best or 2nd best team we've played all year, but I'm excited to see how we stack up at the end of the season vs the beginning.

It's been an injury filled season from start to finish, which makes SFA's decision not to play in the spring look smart. There are going to be some beaten up teams next September.

Also can't wait to see what Carthel can do in recruiting with actual game film to point to. All of our competitors are going to be saying, we're gonna look good this spring and Carthel can point to playing two FBS teams close and 6-7 wins. That's going to be a huge advantage on the recruiting trail.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Wow. I knew we were depleted against Pitt St but I thought the game plan was to be close to full strength against Memphis. It's going to be a long day if we don't have our A team on the field.
I don't know who will or won't be back for Memphis, but I am not particularly optimistic. Hopefully, I am wrong.
KirkHeath12
Memphis is a 30.5 point favorite to open up. I'll take the points
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFA Jack Fanatic
KirkHeath12 said:

Wow. As much as that hurts to see, it's probably about right. The dudes in Vegas know what they're doing.

If we play the way we did at EKU we can beat that spread. If we play the way we did against Angelo State and Pitt, probably not. And the current injury condition of our O-Line does not help matters. Self could be running for his life again.
SFASawmillGuy
Defensively we need to play like we did against EKU. Offensively we need to play better.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

KirkHeath12 said:

Wow. As much as that hurts to see, it's probably about right. The dudes in Vegas know what they're doing.

If we play the way we did at EKU we can beat that spread. If we play the way we did against Angelo State and Pitt, probably not. And the current injury condition of our O-Line does not help matters. Self could be running for his life again.
Yes Memphis has some athletes that can move really fast... Our OLine had #2 running for his life against Pitt St. it seemed like... If O Line doesnt step it up this game then it could get long... Our Defense can compete with Memphis offense.. Our O-line will tell the story plus we are only 1 RB and he is our RB3 from when the year started.. Its gonna be an interesting game... I would take 30.5 points and roll with it...
94Axe
I'm most interested in seeing how the past 5 games have improved the confidence and ability to execute. Make no mistake, Memphis will have more talent in some positions, but sometimes, confidence on the field can translate to better execution despite the talent difference.
MasterAxe
KirkHeath12 said:

I think alot of this depends on the mindset of Memphis.

They still have games to play after us, so this might be one of those "Full on for 1 half, then just play it out and not get anyone hurt."

Strictly from the gambling perspective...I can see an SFA cover, simply by backdooring late.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09
All I can think of right now is the Mighty Ducks when they call Banks a "Cake eater" and remind him what team he is on...
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

All I can think of right now is the Mighty Ducks when they call Banks a "Cake eater" and remind him what team he is on...

Carthel said that Ivey came into a team meeting earlier this week and started videoing the proceedings. "We have a mole", Carthel joked.

(Hmmm...Or was he joking??? . )
SFAJack_76
Game story.

https://sports.yahoo.com/memphis-cant-overlook-fcs-foe-stephen-f-austin-055846171--ncaaf.html?guccounter=1
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93

Let's kick some Tiger a** today!

Axe'Em

SFASawmillGuy
Damn first pass would've gone for six of completed...
SFASawmillGuy
Trae needs to calm down...that was two big overthrows.
SFAJack_76
Damn Trae!
SFASawmillGuy
Turnover U forces Memphis to cough it up!
BigJack85
. Nice on the turnover.
SFASawmillGuy
You know, our defensive front might be better than their offensive line. They have us beat with speed, but we can overpower any team running the ball.
SFASawmillGuy
Trae needs to calm down! He is trying to do way too much.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Defensive back almost tackled Simmons on that interception...not surprisingly no call.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Self has not looked good. Happy feet.
SFASawmillGuy
They are not beating us. We are beating us.
SFASawmillGuy
It's a tied ballgame if Trae gets it under control.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The run game is nonexistent.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Fortunately, Memphis' run game is nonexistent, too. D-Line looking good.
SFAJack_76
Interesting comment about a possible game in the spring being after the dead period so recruits can be there.
TallTexan
Awesome that SFA got to go to those historic places. And cool that the broadcast showed it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PICK SIX!
BigJack85
. Yahoooooo
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.