GAME WEEK: PITTSBURG STATE

14,261 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

SFA (5-3) vs. PITTSBURG STATE (1-1)

WHEN: NOV. 14 (SAT.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: NACOGDOCHES, TEXAS (HOMER BRYCE STADIUM)
TV: ESPN3

It was one of those games where you saw everything coming together, a team leaving no doubt in your mind about where they were headed and a team also leaving you with a cause for excitement and a long for the future.

I think we can all agree that we had some good vibes about the Lumberjacks going into the EKU game, but I don't think many ever thought SFA would dominate as they did in every facet of the game against the Colonels in Richmond.

In the last two games our Lumberjack defense has been lights out
64-7 WCU Total Offense 230 yards 2 of 14 (3rd down conversions)
24-6 EKU Total Offense 214 yards 2 of 17 (3rd down conversions)

We see in our future a defensive front that features a true freshman in DT Caleb Fox TKL:17; TFL:7.0; SCK:2.5; QBH:1 junior BJ Thompson TKL:23; TFL:6.5; SCK:5.0; FR:1; QBH:4; INT:1 the swarming speed of our linebackers featuring Brevin Randle TKL:53; TFL:6.5; SCK:2.0; FF:1; FR:2; BU:1; INT:1 and the coverage of a secondary featuring an all sophomore crew of Tkai Lloyd, Myles Heard, Willie Roberts, Myles Brooks, and Bruce Harmon that have combined for 7 INTs; and 15 BU.

Basketball season may not be on the front burner much longer in Nac. when it comes to November and that is OK.

We now turn our attention to the Gorillas of Pittsburg State, as the Lumberjacks go for 6 straight wins this weekend, a feat SFA football has not accomplished since the SLC Championship season of 2010.

Pittsburg State (1-1) of the MIAA Conference are coming off a 20-7 road victory, against Missouri Western after suffering a 5-point loss (26-31) in their season opener at home against Nebraska-Kearney.

Pittsburg State is a storied Division II program that has won more division two games than any other Division II program with 4 national championships, 31 post season appearances, and 31 Conference Championships and they have not had a losing season since 2009.

The Gorillas are coached by former Toledo OC Brian Wright who lead a Toledo offense that averaged a school record 517.8 yards per game. This is Coach Wright's first season as a head coach, after several years serving as OC and QB coach for programs such as Florida Atlantic, Montana State, and Youngstown State.

Coach Wright must bring together a young team that only has 10 returning seniors, as they loss plenty of experience from last season's 6-5 team.

To help the situation will be the return of leading passer Sophomore QB Mak Sexton 6-1; 210 out of Leander, Texas (Cedar Park) who played in 10 games last season completing 123 passes for 1,694 yards and 13 TDs with 7 INTs. In his first two games of the 2020 season Sexton has completed 43 passes for 539 yards with 5 TDs and no INTS with his favorite targets being freshman WR Christian Carter 6-0; 170 (REC:10; YDS:166; TD:1) and big Iowa State senior transfer WR Jalen Martin 6-3; 215 (REC:14; YDS:124; TD:2)

The ground game is led by 5th year senior and 2X all conference player RB Tyler Adkins 5-10; 210 (ATT:38; YDS:121; TD:1; REC:6; YDS:52)

Leading tackler on defense is 3X all conference player and Division II All-American senior LB Morgan Selemaea 5-11; 204 who has a career of 138 tackles, 24 for a loss, 13 sacks, 6 INTs, and 12 BU. Add to the mix South Dakota State senior transfer LB Kaden Roy 6-5; 232 another All MIAA player from 2019.

In the secondary you have Tyler Junior College transfer CB Jermaine Brealy Jr. 5-11; 190
and freshman CB Antione Nunn Jr. 5-9; 165.

This is a program that has lots of pride and as I said before a storied history and they will come to play their A game with the desire to knock off a division I team, the only one on their schedule (a homecoming for 16 Texas players on their roster) and they demand to not be over looked, just ask ACU about Angelo State.

Axe'Em

Jacks4460
Thank you 93 appreciate your work..
SFASawmillGuy
Max Sexton is a decent QB for them. He kind of struggles with accuracy, completing just about 55% of his passes this season, but also hasn't turned the ball over end has thrown 5 TDs in 2 games.
It looks like they run a very balanced attack with a 3 headed monster at RB, but against D2 opponents with no one in common to compare, it's really hard to judge their actual talent level.
As said above, they have a rich storied history and will be going into Nac with the upset in mind. I hope the players aren't looking ahead to the Memphis bowl and take them seriously.
If our defense plays half as well as it's played the past 3 weeks, we won't have an issue against them.
Offensively, we need to maintain the attack we've been using. No need to change what isn't broken.
SFAXE93
We appear to be their first ever Division I (FCS) football opponent in school history.
SFASawmillGuy
With them being the winningest D2 program ever, can they jump up to the WAC with us???
PurpleOut
Staff
Waiting to see if I got a tailgate spot, but I think I'm going to make it down this weekend.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Waiting to see if I got a tailgate spot, but I think I'm going to make it down this weekend.

If the last home game is any indication, you won't have a problem getting a tailgating spot if they're using the parking lot again. There weren't many tailgaters at all.
SFASawmillGuy
Not accurate. They've played 3 FCS opponents, going 2-1 against them. However this does appear to be their first FCS game since 1997(where they defeated Missouri state).
cboothe09
Just got cleared for a tailgating spot...Doesn't look like I am able to go anymore though...If someone wants it, let me know and it is theirs...

I'll try again during basketball or catch basketball/baseball weekend with the RV...
PurpleOut
Staff
I got my spot as well. More than likely coming by myself so if anyone wants to come hang out or just stop by let me know.
nacluth
Ok, I made this thread the front page featured story. It's not much for now, but at least we'll get some rotation.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Ok, I made this thread the front page featured story. It's not much for now, but at least we'll get some rotation.

Hallelujah! A smile came on my face when I just opened the site. Not seeing last year's SFA vs. Southern Utah game as the lead story was great.
BigJack85
Pitt St. Hmmm. No pushover. This will be a real test.

Hope we can keep the momentum.
SFASawmillGuy
I think Pitt State is the same as Angelo State in terms of talent. So we will really see how much we've grown since that near upset.
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
We win the media game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

We win the media game.

That's a fine stadium they have. Coach Carthel said on the Tuesday Zoom call that Pitt has better facilities than almost all FCS schools.
BigJack85
Looked at the athletics website of Pittsburgh State. They have niiiiiice facilities. Very nice.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Tailgate spot #18 if anyone wants to swing by.
SFAJack_76
Now they are just messing with my head. Wow!
nacluth
Media team had been killing it. Hopefully the Jacks follow suit today.
SFAJack_76
Pay attention to our starting O-line today. The EKU game was not kind to us.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Wait, I just got fired up listening to J Franklin-Myers.....but not big enough to play O Line
BigJack85
Ready to go.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Based on the number of red shirts in the east stands, quite a few Pitt fans here today. More than expected.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Wait, I just got fired up listening to J Franklin-Myers.....but not big enough to play O Line

Holm at center is big. Monday that was in question. After him is a fourth string walk on.
SFASawmillGuy
Best looking tv broadcast we've had in a while
BigJack85
Real nice throw by Trae.
SFAXE93
can't run the ball
SFASawmillGuy
Pitt St is probably the best D2 team we've played and traditionally does play at a high level. We don't need to be looking forward to Memphis. Take care of business today and then we can look towards the upset.
SFASawmillGuy
That wa SFA very Romo'esque play by Self!
Ljacks&Longnecks
We certainly controlled the clock in 1st qtr. !3:30 in time of possession.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.