Story Poster
Stephen F. Austin Football

Reviewing SFA's opening defeat at SMU - Purple Lights Podcast

September 3, 2017

Purple Lights is the only podcast dedicated to coverage of all things Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks. With Richard Boyer and Isaac Niedrauer behind the microphones and with Mark Friedman (of Dallas-Ft. Worth sports talk fame) in the FreidoNation studio, our show is a must-listen for the most passionate of Lumberjacks. Be sure to subscribe to our iTunes page (click here), or download each episode right here from our website.

EPISODE XVIII - September 2nd, 2017 -

It wasn't pretty. Stephen F. Austin was thoroughly smacked around in an opening loss at Southern Methodist University. Were there any positives from the 58-14 loss? The crew discusses and previews what's to come in next week's home opener versus Southern Utah.

Click the links below to subscribe, download, or listen to the episode right here on this page above.

Subscribe on iTunes | Click here to download

Reviewing SFA's opening defeat at SMU - Purple Lights Podcast

8,666 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Almost the same presser after our loss to Tech.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
Didn't weigh in much on this, but I'm beyond meh on these big game. I get that we get paid, but whatever. Starting the season with a game that everyone assumes we're going to lose just sucks. Not to mention that we have never been competitive in these games.

What sucks is now we start the season with a blowout. Our students already think our football team sucks, so before we can even start the season and get a game at home, we already put that thought even more in their heads.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Didn't weigh in much on this, but I'm beyond meh on these big game. I get that we get paid, but whatever. Starting the season with a game that everyone assumes we're going to lose just sucks. Not to mention that we have never been competitive in these games.

What sucks is now we start the season with a blowout. Our students already think our football team sucks, so before we can even start the season and get a game at home, we already put that thought even more in their heads.
Totally agree. I'm sure it especially is a negative to incoming freshmen who have not yet developed any real loyalty to SFA.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree with Purple and Ed, these games suck...the negatives are high, the "attention" we get from these games is very negative....we are never competitive...it does give the casual SFA student the impression that the team sucks so why bother....wish the powers that be would consider these facts before signing up another one. I guarantee that next year Mississippi St will put 65-70 points on us real quick. There is NO fun in those kind of outcomes.
Personally I know the money angle and I can overlook this mess and now we can find out how competitive we will be at the proper level but it sure does nothing for the moral of the casual fan or student. Makes it real hard to look forward to a season opener each year.
PurpleForever
In my opinion, a lot of it has to do with the level of our play the past few years also. These games would be much more entertaining if we started playing much better. Even if we know we will most likely lose, I could still enjoy watching us share a field and competing with schools of a higher caliber than us. We are just lacking in so many areas right now it always gets out of hand. Other schools hang around so I'm just hoping one year we can!
drhuggybear
Hello all. New to the SFA nation. My daughter will be attending SFA (class of 2022) so I am trying to learn about the traditions of SFA. Growing up with Texas A&M and attending there tradition was important to me. I was very excited to hear tradition mentioned a lot when we did our campus tours.

She and I watched the game on Saturday and it was tough - not as tough as A&M blowing the 44-10 lead - but tough. I don't know much about the team makeup but there were some aspects of the game that were good and some bad.

We will keep watching and will probably be season ticket holders next year. We will be attending the homecoming events this year. She is excited and so are we.

Jeff
#AxeEm
SFA Jack Fanatic
drhuggybear said:

Hello all. New to the SFA nation. My daughter will be attending SFA (class of 2022) so I am trying to learn about the traditions of SFA. Growing up with Texas A&M and attending there tradition was important to me. I was very excited to hear tradition mentioned a lot when we did our campus tours.

She and I watched the game on Saturday and it was tough - not as tough as A&M blowing the 44-10 lead - but tough. I don't know much about the team makeup but there were some aspects of the game that were good and some bad.

We will keep watching and will probably be season ticket holders next year. We will be attending the homecoming events this year. She is excited and so are we.

Jeff
#AxeEm
Welcome to the forums, Jeff! Yes, we have our proud traditions. I'm sure your daughter will learn about them as the weeks and months go by.

SFA is mainly a "basketball school" as you will undoubtedly learn beginning in November. Both the men's and women's teams will be very strong this year, especially the men. Expect to see them in the Big Dance again this year.

Our football program has its ups and downs, with the last 2-years being downs. Don't let the loss to SMU discourage you or your daughter. SFA is a FCS (1-AA) football team, so 95% of FCS schools play at least one "money game" against an FBS team to make a payday. Our real (FCS) season starts this week against Southern Utah.

All of our women's teams are strong, especially soccer, volleyball, track & field, and bowling. Our bowling team won the NCAA National Championship two years ago. The volleyball team is very strong this year.

Again, welcome to The Sawmill and the forums. Your comments and opinions are welcomed. One of the forums is for NCAA and Southland Conference topics. Feel free to post A&M information there. That would be a good spot to "decompress" from the UCLA game.

Forgot to mention, SFA has won the Southland Conference Commissioner's Cup the last couple of years, signifying the best overall athletic program in the conference. We're very proud of that!!
PurpleOut
Staff
Welcome Jeff! All of our home games will be on ESPN3, so make sure you tune in this weekend if you can to get a better feel of the team/environment/traditions.

djsfw57
Hi Jeff - welcome! This is a fun place with none of the ugliness I have seen on every other message board I've visited. Your daughter is going to love SFA. I graduated in '79 feeling like it was the best 4 years of my life. Almost 40 years later I STILL feel that way. It's an incredible place with wonderful people. I've only gotten to visit the campus maybe 7-8 times since I graduated, but the memories are strong and fantastic.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
Welcome to Lumberjack Nation and the family. Axe'Em Jacks!
drhuggybear
Thanks for all the kind words. I am excited to learn about the school and see her grow there. Have a great week all.
Txjack
drhuggybear said:

Thanks for all the kind words. I am excited to learn about the school and see her grow there. Have a great week all.
Wanted to echo all the things said of our fine school here; I too had a wonderful experience at SFA and to compliment you on having the coolest user profile name on the forum.
drhuggybear
HA! Gaming handle going back ... way back ... Have been using that tag for a loooooooooooong time.

Does anyone do any RV tailgating/camping for the home games? Are there hookups (electric or water) or does everyone bring a generator?
PurpleOut
Staff
Good info here on tailgating, you can do both.

The green area next to the Alumni tent is a great spot to set up a tailgate (under the tall pines), and where a lot of people here set up with a tent/chairs.

BigJack85
I'll be there about 11AM on Saturday. Bells on!

Axe 'Em Jacks!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.