WEEK 10: (RV) TARLETON STATE

8,247 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by SFAXE93
lmbalum08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is embarrassing

This is a game where people lose their jobs, and Carthel should. I've been a fan, not anymore.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Makes no sense to take pot shots at each other on here. Stop it!
sfajack05
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

We have officially reached true college sports message board by taking shots at each other.

We have come a long ways since the Delphi boards.
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

We have officially reached true college sports message board by taking shots at each other.

We have come a long ways since the Delphi boards.

Great throwback to the Delphi boards.
sfajack05
So how is everyone?
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

So how is everyone?

I had fun. That's what really counts.
BigJack85
No way but up , from here.
TallTexan
This is a small change that costs us literally nothing, but if our coaching staff would be pro-transfer portal instead of anti-transfer, that would be fantastic.

We talk constantly about these teams that had seemingly fast turnarounds and they often take a lot of transfers those first few years.

Sam used to get a few good P5 transfers every year who'd contribute when they were moving from average to solidly good too.

Then Carthel comes out and says things like "kids who transfer are quitters".

But our starting QBs both did. We obviously take transfers. Constantly. We should be vocally pro-transfer instead of the opposite.

It might be the difference between picking up another difference maker or two every cycle.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

This is a small change that costs us literally nothing, but if our coaching staff would be pro-transfer portal instead of anti-transfer, that would be fantastic.

We talk constantly about these teams that had seemingly fast turnarounds and they often take a lot of transfers those first few years.

Sam used to get a few good P5 transfers every year who'd contribute when they were moving from average to solidly good too.

But our starting QBs both did. We obviously take transfers. Constantly. We should be vocally pro-transfer instead of the opposite.

It might be the difference between picking up another difference maker or two every cycle.

In fairness I think Carthel's quote was more geared towards players who are big time contributors or stars for their team and then leaving for no reason other than to "play up", not transfers in general.

But I agree, we should take full advantage of the transfer portal. As you said, the one year short term turnarounds are usually fueled by transfers. Plenty of P5 backups would love to come be a star at an FCS school.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

A&M is a train wreck, maybe they have some dudes who want out of that fiasco.
RedRiverLa
As long as the band continues to perform, I'll
be in the stands on November 11.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
SFASawmillGuy said:

TallTexan said:

In fairness I think Carthel's quote was more geared towards players who are big time contributors or stars for their team and then leaving for no reason other than to "play up", not transfers in general.

But I agree, we should take full advantage of the transfer portal. As you said, the one year short term turnarounds are usually fueled by transfers. Plenty of P5 backups would love to come be a star at an FCS school.

Surely he did not mean that about players who move up a division to further their careers.

I mean, look in the mirror, Coach.
SFAXE93
We just got back from the game, we left with 10:00 left in the 2nd quarter, it was really embarrassing, boy the Tarleton fans behind us really let us hear about it.

At least we had some good BBQ at the Hard Eight.

Oh, and that attendance of 20K plus is complete BS, no way that they are even drawing 12K crowds.

It's says 17,230 for tonight's game.

I hope they get audited on ticket sells
TheRevSFA
AxeEm99 said:

Tarleton is only the 3rd school in FCS history since 2004 to have 4 straight winning seasons while transitioning. That should tell you everything you need to know about Whitten!

Tarleton played 4 D2 teams & 2 D1 teams & 2 transitioning D1 teams in 2020.

In 2021 they had 6 wins and 3 were D2.

Last year they went 6-5 with 2 D2 wins. That doesn't count either for winning seasons.

Tarleton will be a great FCS program but come on. Outside of this year they haven't had a real D1 winning season.

Also Whitten couldn't win at Sam. Dude would be atrocious at SFA.
SFASawmillGuy
Eh, the topic of the transfer portal is a difficult one and definitely worthy of its own line of discussion.

I do think it's good for players who are not in the right situation or for whatever reason or another will benefit greatly from transferring. 18 year olds make mistakes and sometimes choosing the wrong school happens, it shouldn't be a death sentence for their college career or keep them from going somewhere they'll be happy.

But I think players just jumping ship to go play somewhere else because they think they can play at the same level at a "bigger better" school can have its problems too.

It's certainly worked out well for a few players, look at Brevin Randle, Myles Heard, and Dennis Osageide. Their moves have been massive for them(except one of them turned out to be pretty stupid). And yes, we benefited from it with Self and Maurer, but I think there's a difference to a player coming from being a JUCO school or being buried in their depth chart after already losing the starting job than a player who is already a D1 stud transferring to a slightly bigger, maybe not much better, D1 school.

I don't blame anyone for transferring to a much bigger place like a P5 or something, if they truly think they're good enough and have given enough good tape to compete. If they're that good that could be a much better chance at the NFL, and I don't think anyone can blame them. But going from a school like SFA where you're established and know by the coaches to a C-USA or another FCS school isn't a big enough step up in my opinion to justify it as a way to further your career.

I wouldn't compare transferring to moving up for a better coaching job. You have to think that many of these coaches have families. A huge pay raise and better tools to help you be successful is a no brainer.
sfajack05
BigJack85 said:

No way but up , from here.

The SFA motto for the last 20+ years.
Ljacks&Longnecks
TheRevSFA said:

AxeEm99 said:

Tarleton is only the 3rd school in FCS history since 2004 to have 4 straight winning seasons while transitioning. That should tell you everything you need to know about Whitten!

Last year they went 6-5 with 2 D2 wins. That doesn't count either for winning seasons.

Tarleton will be a great FCS program but come on. Outside of this year they haven't had a real D1 winning season.

Excellent on point post Rev.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

TheRevSFA said:

AxeEm99 said:

This actually makes me feel worse about the state of SFA.

You make these valid points about Tarleton, yet we sit here and they're 7-3 and we're 3-6 and in dead-ass last in the conference.

Say what you want about them, but their program and our program, right now, trending two vastly different directions.

Not to mention that if they really tried, could have probably scored 80+ on us tonight.
sfajack05
Hey guys, according to the "voice" of SFA we are only allowed to complain if we've played or coached at a high level so I'm gonna need y'all to simmer down.
JHard
sfajack05 said:

Hey guys, according to the "voice" of SFA we are only allowed to complain if we've played or coached at a high level so I'm gonna need y'all to simmer down.

I'm embarrassed that "buckets" represents us now.

I get it, he's got a great story and I respect what he's done. But he's an absolute beating. I can't take the "look at me" attitude anymore no matter how cool they think he is doing our video interviews. And his interactions I see on social media with fans is embarrassing to our university. Not sure why he feels the need to call out frustrated fans that have been apart of our university and athletic programs for decades. They have a right, as bad or cringe worth as they may be sometimes. But yeah guy that's been here for 2 years…tell us how much of a better person and fan you are than us poor people that work in cubicles.

Such a terrible look.
TheRevSFA
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

TheRevSFA said:

AxeEm99 said:

This actually makes me feel worse about the state of SFA.

You make these valid points about Tarleton, yet we sit here and they're 7-3 and we're 3-6 and in dead-ass last in the conference.

Say what you want about them, but their program and our program, right now, trending two vastly different directions.

Not to mention that if they really tried, could have probably scored 80+ on us tonight.

Oh yeah they're on their way up and we aren't having the same trajectory but my point was more "let's hold off on Whitten"

BigJack85
JHard said:

sfajack05 said:

I get it, he's got a great story and I respect what he's done. But he's an absolute beating. I can't take the "look at me" attitude anymore no matter how cool they think he is doing our video interviews. And his interactions I see on social media with fans is embarrassing to our university. Not sure why he feels the need to call out frustrated fans that have been apart of our university and athletic programs for decades. They have a right, as bad or cringe worth as they may be sometimes. But yeah guy that's been here for 2 years…tell us how much of a better person and fan you are than us poor people that work in cubicles.

Such a terrible look.

Well said. You can support SFA and still be critical.
SFA Jack Fanatic
So, you're now taking pot shots at people outside of these forums. Very classy. Not!

Personally, I think Buckets is a breath of fresh air. I love seeing him doing interviews and what he has to say. He's very good as a color commentary on Jacks games. It's fun to see him living out the 2nd half of his life, interacting with other students, and obviously having fun doing it. Remember, he IS an SFA student and athlete. And I respect what he's already accomplished in his life, including honorably serving our country.

So please leave the guy out of this conversation. Like it or not, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions.
sfajack05
JHard said:

sfajack05 said:

Such a terrible look.

He probably shouldn't be taking shots at the fans with the cubicle comment. Pretty sure everyone on this board donates back to SFA in someway, have been around for 20+ years and are very successful in their careers.

I've honestly quit watching any SFA media with him in it.
JHard
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

So, you're now taking pot shots at people outside of these forums. Very classy. Not!

Personally, I think Buckets is a breath of fresh air. I love seeing him doing interviews and what he has to say. He's very good as a color commentary on Jacks games. It's fun to see him living out the 2nd half of his life, interacting with other students, and obviously having fun doing it. Remember, he IS an SFA student and athlete. And I respect what he's already accomplished in his life, including honorably serving our country.

So please leave the guy out of this conversation. Like it or not, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions.

Ah, so it's ok for him to talk about everyone and insult donating alumni on social media but we can't say anything on a public forum? Got it. LONG LIVE PRESIDENT BUCKETS!

Why do you think the rest of the SFA fan base is tired of his crap?
Ljacks&Longnecks
So my reply to the "voice" or "buckets" or anyone else would be to step down off the high horse and join us here on this board (vox populi) and share those opinions with us and interact with the true fanbase.

I've followed SFA football since 1976 (some on the board even longer). I've seen the good, the bad, the worse and the many average seasons. I would compare yesterday's mess to the famous 77-7 loss to Texas A&I back in 76 except A&I was a great team and we were a bad team. A lopsided loss was the expectation ( maybe not that lopsided). Yesterday's level of defeat could have only been predicted by some drunken Tarleton student's talking trash pregame.
To dismiss any complaints or opinions on the beatdown because "we didn't play or coach" or someone "works in a cubicle" would reek of an arrogance that is not welcome or warranted.

I've also been around long enough to know these embarrassing blowout games happen from time to time to many different teams. It wasn't the first or last unexplained blowout loss. Game was yesterday, it's over and done. I'll still be here next week for Southern Utah, enthusiasm somewhat diminished by the disappointing season but still here.
SFA Jack Fanatic
When were you voted to be the spokesman for the entire "rest of the fan base"? That's funny.

You've made a grand total of THREE posts on these forums and been a member for three weeks.
MasterAxe
We're starting to get close to the level of forum toxicity that TexAgs has.

The #batteredAggieSyndrome is getting contagious.
JHard
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

When were you voted to be the spokesman for the entire "rest of the fan base"? That's funny.

You've made a grand total of THREE posts on these forums and been a member for three weeks.

And? I'm a graduate of our University and donate to our education, alumni, and athletics.

Why does this Buckets guy get to tell me he's a better fan and person than me?
SFASawmillGuy
Guys guys guys. Can we all agree we have the best shade of purple in the UAC?
MasterAxe
SFASawmillGuy said:

Guys guys guys. Can we all agree we have the best shade of purple in the UAC?

This is the type of positive attitude we need.
sfajack05
MasterAxe said:

We're starting to get close to the level of forum toxicity that TexAgs has.

The #batteredAggieSyndrome is getting contagious.

That means we've made the big time right?
SFA88
JHard said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

And? I'm a graduate of our University and donate to our education, alumni, and athletics.

Why does this Buckets guy get to tell me he's a better fan and person than me?
He doesn't. As someone that was born in Nacogdoches, remembers a 1-10 season, went to SFA, moved away and landed my first job in a cubicle, I find his 2 year fan boy arrogance annoying. He is entitled to his opinion and you are entitled to yours and the number of post you have made is inconsequential.
RedRiverLa
I'm going to let those who want to argue about football and their status level on this forum do so. Since the football really hasn't changed over the decades, except for a year here and there, I'm going to focus on real change. I was an AGM in the Texas League in my younger days with the Shreveport Captains, so as a part of the SF Giants, I feel I can speak to these important organizational changes thanks to my sports qualifications as earlier required. First order, stop swinging the shirt. Those above 12 years old who do, will be escorted out of HB. Second, don't hide Ole Cotton in the corner behind tents where you can't even see it. Place it in our coaches booth and fire it when our OC calls a flanker screen or we forego points to go for it on 4th down in the first quarter. Third, display Chief Caddo permanently. Fourth, install a 'countdown to basketball' clock in Homer Bryce, next to the both play clocks. And finally, market it as an LMB concert with food and 'game' before and after. Real solutions for real change.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
AxeEm99
Love it! SFA Football has been the same for the last 25 years I have been following it. Might as well make it the side show instead of the main event since that is what it is and apparently will be for many more years to come!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.