WEEK 10: (RV) TARLETON STATE

7,947 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by SFAXE93
Buckets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First, nothing I said on Twitter had anything to do with anyone's level of commitment to SFA. And it wasn't directed at anyone on this board. It was actually directed toward some of the comments I saw on Facebook (a couple on Twitter) last night about firing coaches and players who have "quit" or not giving enough effort. I just spend more time on Twitter than FB, so I posted it there.

If we were talking about Jimbo Fisher and a $75 million dollar contract, fine. Take your shots. Instead, we're talking about a guy who has done nothing but support and give back to this community. He and his wife are business owners here. They are raising a family here. It's one thing to be frustrated with the product on the field, and I never said fans shouldn't be critical of that. It's part of the gig. Anyone who goes into coaching and athletics knows that. But if you've never supported a family by trying to get 18-22 year old kids to perform at their best week in and week out, then YES, I find it comical that you'd comment on having coaches fired. And if you've never competed at a high level, it's equally as comical to think you can speak to the amount of effort being given by these athletes. I can assure you, no matter how frustrated you think you are, it doesn't come close to how coaches and players feel after a loss or a disappointing season.

As for some of the comments about me directly, I don't put much thought into that stuff. 99% of you don't know me. I'm not trying to be the "voice" or face of anything. I'm just a dude who transferred here last year and is doing his best to be a successful student athlete and help to spread the word about the town and university I've quickly fallen in love with. Heck, I'm moving my family here, have a son who is a student here, a daughter who will be enrolled next fall, and two more who will likely be Lumberjacks. I have no plans of being anywhere else. But for the folks who think "it's about look at me…" It ain't about me. Never will be. This place was here for 99 years before I showed up and will live long past me.
65tosspowertrap
sfajack05, I believe it partially comes from fear of being shut out by the coach. Part of it comes from being small town media, which traditionally doesn't have the inclination to make waves. I get frustrated with the lack of reporters challenging the coach with tough questions, but this is the way it's been since I was asst. SID back during the Jim Hess days. The only difference is Hess was a winner. I cannot speak to the early '90s coach because I had left for Austin by then.

Does the Daily Sentinel have a sports columnist? I'm not in Nac so I honestly don't know. It would be great to have a legacy media person go out on a limb and question why Carthel hasn't delivered as promised, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. It just is what it is. It'll be up to the AD and pressure from boosters to demand an answer from the coach.

I end by saying I truly benefit from the input you folks provide. The disagreements I've read have almost always been reasoned and respectful. I hope things don't get Twitter Swamp-ish on this platform. God I hate Twitter...oops, I'm sorry, X...no matter what it's called, it's a cesspool.

Axe'Em Jacks.

Chris Martin
Dripping Springs
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
MasterAxe
Buckets said:

First, nothing I said on Twitter had anything to do with anyone's level of commitment to SFA. And it wasn't directed at anyone on this board. It was actually directed toward some of the comments I saw on Facebook (a couple on Twitter) last night about firing coaches and players who have "quit" or not giving enough effort. I just spend more time on Twitter than FB, so I posted it there.

If we were talking about Jimbo Fisher and a $75 million dollar contract, fine. Take your shots. Instead, we're talking about a guy who has done nothing but support and give back to this community. He and his wife are business owners here. They are raising a family here. It's one thing to be frustrated with the product on the field, and I never said fans shouldn't be critical of that. It's part of the gig. Anyone who goes into coaching and athletics knows that. But if you've never supported a family by trying to get 18-22 year old kids to perform at their best week in and week out, then YES, I find it comical that you'd comment on having coaches fired. And if you've never competed at a high level, it's equally as comical to think you can speak to the amount of effort being given by these athletes. I can assure you, no matter how frustrated you think you are, it doesn't come close to how coaches and players feel after a loss or a disappointing season.

As for some of the comments about me directly, I don't put much thought into that stuff. 99% of you don't know me. I'm not trying to be the "voice" or face of anything. I'm just a dude who transferred here last year and is doing his best to be a successful student athlete and help to spread the word about the town and university I've quickly fallen in love with. Heck, I'm moving my family here, have a son who is a student here, a daughter who will be enrolled next fall, and two more who will likely be Lumberjacks. I have no plans of being anywhere else. But for the folks who think "it's about look at me…" It ain't about me. Never will be. This place was here for 99 years before I showed up and will live long past me.

Welcome Buckets.

As someone who who works in education, I can assure you that I understand what it takes to get kids to respond.

I also know that if my performance resulted in the equivalent of a losing season/blowout losses, I'd be put on a performance improvement plan.

From there, failure to adequately improve results in termination.

So, I'd maybe take a moment to consider that you finding it "comical" that I (or several of us here) don't/can't relate is perhaps the wrong perspective.

We literally compete for our jobs everyday. Vs parents, administrators, the government…everyone.

So, we know what effort is required.

I appreciate your optimism about SFA athletics, but let's not try to label or generalize folks just to fit your perspective.

And, based on your criteria, I have full authority to complain about anything I want.
BigJack85
I've been VERY critical of SFA football over the years. Up until yesterday's debacle I felt like we had competed every game. Even Troy.

We didn't compete yesterday. That has me concerned.
sfajack05
65tosspowertrap said:

sfajack05, I believe it partially comes from fear of being shut out by the coach. Part of it comes from being small town media, which traditionally doesn't have the inclination to make waves. I get frustrated with the lack of reporters challenging the coach with tough questions, but this is the way it's been since I was asst. SID back during the Jim Hess days. The only difference is Hess was a winner. I cannot speak to the early '90s coach because I had left for Austin by then.

Does the Daily Sentinel have a sports columnist? I'm not in Nac so I honestly don't know. It would be great to have a legacy media person go out on a limb and question why Carthel hasn't delivered as promised, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. It just is what it is. It'll be up to the AD and pressure from boosters to demand an answer from the coach.

I end by saying I truly benefit from the input you folks provide. The disagreements I've read have almost always been reasoned and respectful. I hope things don't get Twitter Swamp-ish on this platform. God I hate Twitter...oops, I'm sorry, X...no matter what it's called, it's a cesspool.

Axe'Em Jacks.

Chris Martin
Dripping Springs

I know the media has changed down there in the last 20 years. KTRE had some great sports guys but now it seems like everything is coming out of Tyler and I doubt they are attending. I'm not sure if the fox/nbc/cbs stations cover SFA sports or sends anyone. I would occasionally get sent to Nac for sports when I was working out of Longview 10 years ago.

I think Nac and Lufkin papers share their sports reporter so I'm sure they are spread thin. I know some even called for a ban on them after the bowling story.

I know SFA is not in a big market but would be nice to have the coaches, all coaches, get asked the tough questions instead of being buddy buddy with them. That's what the PR department is for.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Buckets, I thank you for signing on and sharing your thoughts. I cant comment on what you have seen on Twitter or Facebook but I'm sure there were some over the top comments. On this board there are some that have given up on Carthel and some of us that have not. And yes when one experiences a bad blowout, one can expect criticism and complaints from the fandom...that is part of the gig.
As for those on this forum that want Carthel let go, I am sure it is based only on the won/lost record. I haven't seen any animosity directly at Carthel or his family or what he does for the community. While I'm not in their camp I surely understand the frustration with the record, especially this season.
I will take issue with your label of comical directed at those that complain bout coaches or players. We may not know how to herd 18-22 year olds and I'm sure some complaints are somewhat baseless but when one has watched the game for 50 years I believe I can tell when I'm observing a complete team failed effort on the field. We can't all have been athletes or coaches but that alone doesn't invalidate our thoughts or opinions.
It's good to see how you and your family have embraced and fallen in love with SFA. I can assure you the members of this forum feel the same about SFA hence why we are here and want the best for the University in academics and athletics.
Thanks for coming by and posting your thoughts.
BigJack85
The banter on The Sawmil, is good. At least we have some people that give a sh
65tosspowertrap
sfajack05 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

Axe'Em Jacks.

Chris Martin
Dripping Springs

I know the media has changed down there in the last 20 years. KTRE had some great sports guys but now it seems like everything is coming out of Tyler and I doubt they are attending. I'm not sure if the fox/nbc/cbs stations cover SFA sports or sends anyone. I would occasionally get sent to Nac for sports when I was working out of Longview 10 years ago.

I think Nac and Lufkin papers share their sports reporter so I'm sure they are spread thin. I know some even called for a ban on them after the bowling story.

I know SFA is not in a big market but would be nice to have the coaches, all coaches, get asked the tough questions instead of being buddy buddy with them. That's what the PR department is for.
Amen to the PR department statement. And it would be nice to have someone in media (online media maybe?) at least ask the AD if he's happy with the job the coach is doing. But I suspect the media won't give it a whiff of attention until (?) they get the press release that there's been a change made. And then they'll reprint the release word-for-word.

Changing the subject, my gut tells me even if the Jacks go 3-8, Carthel will be given another year to right the ship.

MasterAxe
65tosspowertrap said:

sfajack05 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

Axe'Em Jacks.

Chris Martin
Dripping Springs

Amen to the PR department statement. And it would be nice to have someone in media (online media maybe?) at least ask the AD if he's happy with the job the coach is doing. But I suspect the media won't give it a whiff of attention until (?) they get the press release that there's been a change made. And then they'll reprint the release word-for-word.

Changing the subject, my gut tells me even if the Jacks go 3-8, Carthel will be given another year to right the ship.

I believe next year will be his "performance improvement" plan year.
BigJack85
Didn't Carthel sign a 3 year contract in 22' ?
65tosspowertrap
BigJack85 said:

Didn't Carthel sign a 3 year contract in 22' ?
Read a story where Carthel was given an extension through 2027. No word if there's a buyout, but if there is, that could be an obstacle to letting him go.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Yes, found a daily Sentinel article online. In March 2022 contract was extended through 2027.
His salary was to remain the same through 2024.
SFAXE93
2019 3-9; 3-6
2020 6-4; 0-0
2021 8-4; 6-2; Playoffs (Contract Extension)
2022 6-5; 3-1; Conference Champions
2023 3-6; 0-4
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

When were you voted to be the spokesman for the entire "rest of the fan base"? That's funny.

You've made a grand total of THREE posts on these forums and been a member for three weeks.

No doubt.. speak for yourself JH
Jacks4460
Thanks for what you do Buckets!!
Texasheli
I am still in Carthel's Corner.

Yes, he has some hard work and discissions going forward.

The result of the Tarleton game in a way does not surprise me. I assumed there would be a team that would study the UT game and see what to do to carve up the secondary.

Secondly as another has said, you cannot fumble 5 times and expect to come out on top.

Clean up spotting the other team points on unforced errors and that produces a different result next year.

This defeat is a hard one to take, but it hurts me more losing to Ptech on a silly facemask penalty in a game you had won.

TallTexan
I agree with Heli.

I like Carthel, and Buckets is right, he and his family invest in the community. He hasn't forgotten how to win all of a sudden.

Tweaks and some changes obviously need to be made. But that's a coach who, if we get to winning regularly, may dang well retire in Nacogdoches.

I'd take that over someone who got hot for a year or two and left. UIW probably can't sustain that.

Let's let Ivey and Carthel make those changes and get back to the trajectory we started on. I'll take a coach who's in it for the long haul.
TallTexan
Welcome Buckets. Tell Ivey we need to recruit more second act students athletes. Getting 3 enrollments out of one recruitment? Now that's recruiting dollars well spent.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

I agree with Heli.

I like Carthel, and Buckets is right, he and his family invest in the community. He hasn't forgotten how to win all of a sudden.

Tweaks and some changes obviously need to be made. But that's a coach who, if we get to winning regularly, may dang well retire in Nacogdoches.

I'd take that over someone who got hot for a year or two and left. UIW probably can't sustain that.

Let's let Ivey and Carthel make those changes and get back to the trajectory we started on. I'll take a coach who's in it for the long haul.

Just for fact-checking purposes: UIW has been to the playoffs 3 times since 2018, and at 7-2 this year, is headed to their 4th appearance in 6 seasons.

For context: SFA has 4 playoff appearances since 1997.

UIW is kinda sorta not a "flash in the pan" that we all think they are.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

I agree with Heli.

Just for fact-checking purposes: UIW has been to the playoffs 3 times since 2018, and at 7-2 this year, is headed to their 4th appearance in 6 seasons.

For context: SFA has 4 playoff appearances since 1997.

UIW is kinda sorta not a "flash in the pan" that we all think they are.

That remains to be seen. They may very well have found their success, but just looking at them this year they are not a good team. They're in a god awful conference and have played a pretty easy schedule. I would bet money that over the next few years we see them fall from grace and be back where they were.

As far as our success(or lack there of) since the 90s, there have been a lot of bad decisions when it comes to football in that span. Part of it was not maintaining a coach with a vision. JC Harper was not a good coach and didn't seem to upset about losing(laughing in a BOTPW presser after a loss). Clint Conque I truly believe could have been good but he could not recruit depth in Texas to save his life and obvious off the field issues made his hiring a little questionable from the beginning.

Carthel has a vision for the team and has shown to be able to create success from literally nothing, taking over a team that could easily be predicted as getting blown out by 40 points a game and made us very competitive every single week. Really this is his first "bad" season, and it's so close to being a very good season.

I agree this is probably his retirement spot. He loves Nacogdoches and if he has it his way he will probably coach here another 15-20 years.

If any coaching changes need to be made it would need to be Matt Storm, but I trust Carthel and Ivey to make the right decisions in the offseason to try and right the ship.
SFAXE93
Well I think investing in a HTeaO franchise, located in Nacogdoches answers any questions about where the Carthel family wants to be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.