WEEK 7: #20 CENTRAL ARKANSAS

7,003 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE (3-3; 0-2) VS. #20 CENTRAL ARKANSAS (4-2; 2-0)

WHEN: Oct. 14, 2023 (Sat.) 4:00 P.M.
WHERE: Conway, Arkansas (Estes Stadium)
TV: ESPN+
Hall of Fame Weekend/Youth Sports Day

SERIES

Central Arkansas leads the series 11-4-0

2022: L 7-34 (Home)
2021: W 27-14 (Away)
2019: L 7-30 (Away)
2018: L 17-27 (Home)
2017: L 20-24 (Away)
2016: L 24-36 (Away)
2015: L 24-36 (Away)
2014: L 39-49 (Home)
2012: W 42-37 (Home)
2011: L 28-38 (Away)
2010: W 30-7 (Home)
2009: W 33-30 (Away)
2008: L 41-49 (Home)
2007: L 23-35 (Away)
2006: L 35-37 (Home)

After an amazing come from behind victory in their last game, the Bears of Central Arkansas find themselves still perfect in conference play, and riding a 3-game win streak, ready now to set their sites on the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin this weekend in Conway.

The Bear's high scoring offense (almost 40 points a game) is marqueed by one of the most talented running backs in the nation, junior speedster #27 ShunDerrick Powell 5-9; 180, the 2022 Walter Payton Finalist and 2X All-American, leads the nation in rushing with 783 yards (9 yards per carry) with 5 TD's. (895 total yards and 6 TD's) Powell earlier this season had back to back 200+ rushing games at North Dakota State, and his season high 256 yards, home against Abilene Christian.

UCA has one of the nation's leading rushing attacks with nearly 250 yards per game, top 5 in first downs and total offense with 477 yards per game.

At QB the Bears have Northern Iowa transfer senior #2 Will McElvain 5-11; 185 who had the game of his career last Saturday, in Conway against SEMO, a game in which UCA found themselves down 30-6 in the 4th quarter, before McElvain took over, leading the team back with neary 400 yards passing and 4 TD's, in the greastest come from behind game in program history.

The defense is lead by All-American junior DB #7 TaMuarion Wilson 6-2; 205 with his team leading 31 tackles (4.5 TFL) 2 INTs, and 7 PD. On the defensive front you have 2022 ASUN Defensive Player of the Year and All-American junior DE #8 David Walker 6-2; 260 who leads the team with 5.5 TFL's and 4 sacks.

Needless to say the Bears, with the exception of the 2021 season, recently have had the Lumberjack's number in football, with a commanding 11-4-0 lead (7 of the last 8) in the series.

After two gut wrenching conference losses, it doesn't look good for SFA in trying to avoid an 0-3 conference start to the season, as they face the conference's best in Conway.

I expect the Lumberjacks will embrace this challenge, circle the wagons, and fight with every fiber this team has, to bring home the victory and stay the course.

It's time to give the Bears a head scratcher

Axe'Em
MasterAxe
SFAXE93 said:

The Bear's high scoring offense (almost 40 points a game) is marqueed by one of the most talented running backs in the nation, junior speedster #27 ShunDerrick Powell 5-9; 180, the 2022 Walter Payton Finalist and 2X All-American, leads the nation in rushing with 783 yards (9 yards per carry) with 5 TD's. (895 total yards and 6 TD's) Powell earlier this season had back to back 200+ rushing games at North Dakota State, and his season high 256 yards, home against Abilene Christian.

This does not excite me.
SFASawmillGuy
So I've actually watched parts of the Bears past two matchups as well as their game against NDSU, and something I've noticed is they don't handle the blitz the best. Hopefully we have Amad Murray back this week, who was held out this past Saturday with injury. That will be huge in adding that extra really strong part of our pass rush as well as solidifying our defense against the run.

Defensively they're fast but seem to struggle against a short passing game, so I would expect Maurer to try to pick them apart. Biggest thing is we need to extend drives in 3rd down, which we really struggled with this past week. It will help when we get Wimbley back. Williams is a better big play back and receiving back, but Wimbley is our back in the trenches who can get us those few yards we need.
SFAXE93
I'm assuming the following players are out due to injury

RB: #10 JERRELL WIMBLEY 5-11; 195 (SO.)
G:5;ATT:67;YDS:358;AVG:5.3;TD:3/REC:12;YDS:55;TD:1
WR: #1 JOSH THOMPSON 5-10; 190 (G/SR.)
G:3;REC:5;YDS:60;TD:0
TE: #87 KESHON WILLIAMS 6-3; 225 (JR.)
G:5;REC:3;YDS:13;TD:0
OL: #65 CLINT LAPIC 6-5; 300 (G/SR.) GP:4
DL: #54 AMAD MURRAY 6-5; 255 (G/SR.)
G:5;TKL:16;TFL:3.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:2;FF:0;FR:2;PD:0;INT:0;TD:2
LB: #36 JAYDON SOUTHARD 6-0; 210 (SO.)
G:5;TKL:8;TFL:0.0;SCK:0.0;QBH:1;FF:0;FR:0;PD:0;INT:0

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
The next great WR in the making at SFA?

Pilotgirl
I'm just hoping we get out of Conway injury-free.
SFAXE93
I'm hoping we just win! Axe'Em!

Ljacks&Longnecks
Nice opening drive with short open passes.....until we run on 3rd and 7 and get nothing.

Maurer was 7 for 8 on the drive 51 yards Can't get much better.
MasterAxe
I'm gonna have an aneurysm trying to decipher the teams vs the field colors.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Wind 2, Campos 0
djsfw57
MasterAxe said:

I'm gonna have an aneurysm trying to decipher the teams vs the field colors.
I was gonna say it was making my rosacea act up, and I don't even have rosacea.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Wow. We stop ourselves on another drive. Campos 0 for 2.

Moving the ball well until we hit the 20 yd line then ice cold. Missed chances.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Jermaine Brown 2 great plays in a row on D.
14jacks
Something I don't say often… I think Storm is calling a good game. Most creative we've been ever, to start the game.

Maurer is playing well. Defense is playing well. Just couldn't get the points. Can't put blame on Campos, guys been consistently good. He will get back to it today.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SMH!!
SFASawmillGuy
Pilotgirl said:

…never thought I'd see you not fired up for the Jacks.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well 14, I was going to applaud Storm for coming out with a nice game plan. Then we return to trying to run 3 times from the 7, 8 yard line with no good results. I believe all these missed chances will cost us dearly.

Hardtruth
Lol you must be related to Storm. His play calling is awful and has ended all drives
SFASawmillGuy
I don't get with how good our defense is the decision not to kick.
AxeEm99
"It's on us coaches" is what we will hear next week. We should turn that into a drinking game!!
RedRiverLa
We'll beat ourselves. And Mauer's arm is not moving, that's a shoulder problem. Great.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well I'm afraid Weeks is going to get his chance now but not in the way anybody wanted the way it looked with Maurer's shoulder.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Oh, good grief. Fumble. Maurer hurt... It's just not going to be our day.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Great defensive stand shot down by roughing the kicker
RedRiverLa
And so it begins. Is it me, or are some of CA players wearing shorts? That length is a penalty. Yes, I'm desperately looking for anything.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Great defensive stand shot down by roughing the kicker

I'd be curious how many points we've given up following stops this year bc a penalty extended the drive.

Maybe it's selective memory but it feels substantial.
Pilotgirl
SFASawmillGuy said:

Pilotgirl said:

…never thought I'd see you not fired up for the Jacks.

I'm always rooting for us! No matter what...I just had a premonitition or gut instinct, I guess. And now 2 players (one us and one UCA) is hurt. I truly don't want any injuries! I'd rather take a loss, but that's just me.
BigJack85
I've about finished throwing up. Can we get back in this one?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well I stepped away a minute and missed our 3 and out...............
Ljacks&Longnecks
But get a fumble. Then some determined running by Wimbley gets us back in the game.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Damn, Campos having a bad day.

Please note that was Damn comma not to be taken the wrong way.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Campos does not seem to be allowing for the cross wind.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Going to the half still very much alive in the game.

Now, will OC stick with the gameplan? Got to trust Weeks and stick with what's working.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.