WEEK 7: #20 CENTRAL ARKANSAS

6,995 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by SFASawmillGuy
sfajack05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

sfajack05 said:

I know someone mentioned UIW has caught lightning in a bottle but hell we can't even catch a lightning bug in a bottle.

QUOTE OF THE DAY!

I'm here to entertain
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yeah, Sam had success and we didn't. We all know it.

So you guys want to dump Carthel and move on....Okay. Who do we hire? Who qualifies as "Top caliber" coach?
If/When the next coach has 3 bad to mediocre seasons in his first 3 years, 99 will repeat the same few lines about Mccarty/Hill ruined us and Sam had Godlike idols that won.

You have every right to complain about Carthel and call for his firing. It is his 5th season so it's all his program at this point. Can't blame past coaches or failures anymore. Our record under him is our record.
That said, changing coaches will result in some of the things you don't want to hear anymore, particularly---everyone has to learn new schemes and systems. Players leave when a coach gets let go so then it's lots of new guys.
That's not a reason to keep Carthel per se, but it's cold hard facts about hiring a new coaching staff.
Yes, UIW did it so it can happen but you will find that the norm is not instant success.

If Ivey decides to let him go then so be it and I will hope for a great hire too.. I get all the frustration but a new hire guarantees nothing.
Of course I guess our ad will say---Only Top caliber coaches need apply. That should take care of it.

sfajack05
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yeah, Sam had success and we didn't. We all know it.

So you guys want to dump Carthel and move on....Okay. Who do we hire? Who qualifies as "Top caliber" coach?
If/When the next coach has 3 bad to mediocre seasons in his first 3 years, 99 will repeat the same few lines about Mccarty/Hill ruined us and Sam had Godlike idols that won.

You have every right to complain about Carthel and call for his firing. It is his 5th season so it's all his program at this point. Can't blame past coaches or failures anymore. Our record under him is our record.
That said, changing coaches will result in some of the things you don't want to hear anymore, particularly---everyone has to learn new schemes and systems. Players leave when a coach gets let go so then it's lots of new guys.
That's not a reason to keep Carthel per se, but it's cold hard facts about hiring a new coaching staff.
Yes, UIW did it so it can happen but you will find that the norm is not instant success.

If Ivey decides to let him go then so be it and I will hope for a great hire too.. I get all the frustration but a new hire guarantees nothing.
Of course I guess our ad will say---Only Top caliber coaches need apply. That should take care of it.

Can't remember where I called for his firing but okay. Just saying you can't use facilities as an excuse for not getting players when we've had three top 10 classes under Carthel. He's proved you can recruit without 1st Class Facilities.
Ljacks&Longnecks
You are correct 05. You listed the tired excuses no mention of firing.
SFAJack_76
How many assistants has Carthel replaced over the last two years?

Sixteen. They all left for better opportunities.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

How many assistants has Carthel replaced over the last two years?

Sixteen. They all left for better opportunities.

The facts. 76' makes an important point. We don't put the salaries into football. We put it into basketball.

Not that we shouldn't expect results but, we need to provide more resources. And right now we don't have the budget. Just a guess.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Personally, I'm tired of all of the Carthel bashing. The Jacks have lost several games that could have gone our way and didn't. It's not like we're getting bashed or even outplayed because we're not.

No one has even mentioned how he's shaping the lives of our young Jacks in the right direction both on and off the field. Remember how several of them were baptised recently, and Carthel was right there beside them showing support? That was not just a photo op.

I'm still very much 100% behind Coach Carthel.
Jacks4460
I have been around this program and Colby builds our student athletes up to succeed off the field.. He has some serious respect from NFL clubs and that shows with us finally getting some players in the League.. These losses have killed me I can promise you but then I think about what he and his staff are doing with these young student -athletes and it all good with me.. He is committed to SfA and the community of Nacogdiches.. This is reallly a great group of kids and they want the W way worst than we do I promise.. We need to support them and watch them grow. Coach Carthel will get this ship going forward, he won't go to sleep until he does.. I can tell you he has the respect of this team and that is all that matters..
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Personally, I'm tired of all of the Carthel bashing. The Jacks have lost several games that could have gone our way and didn't. It's not like we're getting bashed or even outplayed because we're not.

No one has even mentioned how he's shaping the lives of our young Jacks in the right direction both on and off the field. Remember how several of them were baptised recently, and Carthel was right there beside them showing support? That was not just a photo op.

I'm still very much 100% behind Coach Carthel.

SFA JACK I agree..
SFASawmillGuy
Jacks4460 said:

I have been around this program and Colby builds our student athletes up to succeed off the field.. He has some serious respect from NFL clubs and that shows with us finally getting some players in the League.. These losses have killed me I can promise you but then I think about what he and his staff are doing with these young student -athletes and it all good with me.. He is committed to SfA and the community of Nacogdiches.. This is reallly a great group of kids and they want the W way worst than we do I promise.. We need to support them and watch them grow. Coach Carthel will get this ship going forward, he won't go to sleep until he does.. I can tell you he has the respect of this team and that is all that matters..

Agreed on both above comments. Carthel is a great leader of men and team builder. This season hasn't gone the way we wanted but it is a really good sign that we haven't been beaten talent wise a single game this year. Carthel is a great recruiter and will continue to bring in better talent than SFA or many FCS teams could hope for.

I do hope this offseason sees improvements from the offensive staff as far as playcalling and decision making in key spots, but the fact is Conque, Harper, and the coaches before them were unable to recruit this well and this consistently. Carthel has consistently put us in position to be great with his recruiting and has consistently put Jacks in the league.

Ryan Ivey has put in work to make SFA football better, and if you look at the bigger picture, SFA football is better.

Now let's move on from this thread and start talking about our next opponent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.