2023 SEASON

38,944 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

Any appetite for a SFA 2023 record prognostication?

Overall 7-4 UAC 3-3. If I have the UAC game's correct.

I think 8+ wins and the playoffs is very doable for us. Tons of potential on our roster, just gonna have to see it put together in the field. I think we won't know what we have though until the Austin Peay game.

Troy and Alcorn st will be the tests to see if our run defense really is improved though.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

I think 8+ wins and the playoffs is very doable for us. Tons of potential on our roster, just gonna have to see it put together in the field. I think we won't know what we have though until the Austin Peay game.

Troy and Alcorn st will be the tests to see if our run defense really is improved though.

Ya. That's the piece that I'm concerned about. O-Line could be very good. Lots of seniors.
SFAXE93
I like Jordon Thomas' energy, I hope he has a break out year.

nacluth
BigJack85 said:

I agree with this. 6 wins is the line on Carthel's SFA run so far. I think we just cross it, but 8 and playoffs is doable.
SFAXE93
I guess they will be replacing the WAC logo off of the uniforms and the field with the new UAC logo.

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
No longer on the roster

DL: #50 JORDON THOMAS 6-4; 300 (SO.)
DL: #58 MICAH LEEJAY 6-5; 236 (R/FR.)
WR: #19 JAYLIN TOLBERT 6-2; 225 (SO.)
SFAXE93
Ivey suiting up

SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

Looking at the schedule…. At least the part that is available

9/2 - Troy. Probably an L
9/9 - Alcorn. Anyones guess?
9/16 - NWST Improved. Probably a close L.
9/24 - UCA. We just witnessed that story. L.

I'm not looking at us getting above.500 until late in the season. Unless we have some sort of dramatic shift on the defensive side of the ball.

Frustration is understandable but after looking back at several points in the season we really drastically underperformed with an insanely talented roster , and I think the biggest detractor of the season was the momentum. We never really had it at all this year, and I think a big part of that was the drastic change in defensive philosophy from literally every other year Carthel was here.

Abhorrent tackling aside, our defense was for some reason incredibly conservative this year, where every other year with since Carthel took over it's been super aggressive, consistently making first contact behind the line of scrimmage and always bringing extra guys on the blitz. That meant even when our offense fell behind they didn't have the pressure on them to try and score every single drive.

Jacksonville State took the wind out of our sails very early. I think if we maintained the first quarter momentum and beat them we see a much, much different SFA team midseason than we ended up having. Maybe this humbling year was good for us. Maybe part of it was the overwhelming hype and expectations got to our guys and they were just unable to recover when we fell behind.

This off-season I'm gonna look at not so much who we get as far as new players but how the defense changes to try and fix what was broken. If it's a staff issue, hopefully it'll be addressed. But the team does have a bunch of young talent where I could see us recovering from this gut punch of a season and being strong again.

This season will really test how our team can respond and if they can rebuild into a playoff caliber team again.

I feel like the similar comments are applicable. Defense looked better for stretches. Offense …. Who knows.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.