2023 SEASON

38,124 Views | 258 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't gotten to watch the Carthel interview so take this with a grain of salt.

G5 FBS isn't the promised land. Pretty much any bowl game before Christmas is going to average as many or fewer viewers than the quarterfinals & up in FCS. And you can get multiple shots at that exposure since FCS isn't a one off.

I feel like the WACSUN football league is our best bet for the next few years, at it allows both conferences to focus on the other sports. Right now, the football bid is a distraction for both, and the WAC is really building something special in basketball. I'd hate to run out and add a football school that's gonna bring down basketball and the other sports.

If we did jump to FBS, it'd have to be for a move that makes more sense for our golden tickets(men's & women's basketball). CUSA has decent basketball, but their tv deal is pretty trash. 800k a year is nothing to sneeze at, but all football games in October will be midweek, meaning no crowds essentially. Personally, if the Sunbelt is going to work on improving basketball, that'd be my vote but it's obviously a longer shot.

As far as SFA football though, we are historically not great. Carthel, in his years here is already 7 of 20 on the win list. I wouldn't be surprised if he hits top 5 in the next two years. He's the right man for the job. But it's going to take a while before we're safely in solid program territory.

My goal next year is playoffs and preferably a win. If that happens, I'll be ecstatic. If we can get to regular playoff attendee as the baseline, that would be a huge shift for SFA. Then we can focus on being a regular playoff contender.
TallTexan
I also don't mind being away from Sam for a while. Too often, our more casual fans measure success solely by beating Sam. That's in most sports too, but especially football.

It'll be nice to be able to forge our own identity out of their shadow for a little bit. Similar to what A&M did when they got away from Texas for a while.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I also don't mind being away from Sam for a while. Too often, our more casual fans measure success solely by beating Sam. That's in most sports too, but especially football.

It'll be nice to be able to forge our own identity out of their shadow for a little bit. Similar to what A&M did when they got away from Texas for a while.

Agree. Sans A&M. How's it working for them right now.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I hear you Ljacks. I wasn't really even responding to your earlier comment - just using it as a springboard. I know that we're all fans who will love SFA through thick and thin. And I totally agree that I think we have more opportunities currently in the FCS arena.

I'll admit that I'm a probably too cynical of a football fan, but I hang in there each year. I never believe the hype. I had very moderate levels for improvement this year. Any one of the three (1. WAC champion; 2. Playoff win; 3. Beat Sam). In some ways we got the easiest of the three, but we weren't far off from all three.

I think it's only fair to expect a playoff win next year. A 6-5 championship will not be improvement. I'm not saying we can Carthel if he doesn't deliver, but I think some realism about our team should be in order.

If I ultimately support an FBS conference it's only because I would like it for our other sports.

It's all about our other sports. We need to be in FBS to get the full reach of our other programs.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Right now not great but they snagged a Heisman and the 2nd richest athletic department in the country out of it. Nearly every program will have new facilities by the end of the decade. Being away from Texas generated a lot of hype that they turned into dollars.

It just happens that they got too big for their britches in that coaching contract. But the hype & publicity where there. Now obviously we won't get that kind of press, but we could still get some of the same benefits for our fanbase while building an FCS contender.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Right now not great but they snagged a Heisman and the 2nd richest athletic department in the country out of it. Nearly every program will have new facilities by the end of the decade. Being away from Texas generated a lot of hype that they turned into dollars.

It just happens that they got too big for their britches in that coaching contract. But the hype & publicity where there. Now obviously we won't get that kind of press, but we could still get some of the same benefits for our fanbase while building an FCS contender.

It's hard to consider a $142 million dollar athletics budget, so comparing SFA in any kind of P5 conversation is cumbersome.

I have done some research using the Knight Newhouse Foundation study/database. We would be in the bottom end of CUSA but not the lowest. Our budget is similar to LaTech, Jacksonville St, Sam.
SFASawmillGuy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

SawmillGuy, I applaud your optimism on moving up but no major FBS team will ever come to Nac. Too hard to get to, no airport and little to no reason to give SFA a home game unless it was in return for several visits to their field. Texas St has nearby airports and an Interstate Hwy for travelling opponents that allows them the opportunity to draw in a major opponent.
As for the Mac n Cheese Bowl, it May provide more $$ than an FCS playoff game or championship game but about the only people out there that would be interested or remember who played in it would be the fans of the two schools.

The airport issue has been something I've complained about for years. I would love a Lufkin/Nacogodches regional airport and have heard that it's been talked about, but that was like 10 years ago. It would bring so much money to the area.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

SawmillGuy, I applaud your optimism on moving up but no major FBS team will ever come to Nac. Too hard to get to, no airport and little to no reason to give SFA a home game unless it was in return for several visits to their field. Texas St has nearby airports and an Interstate Hwy for travelling opponents that allows them the opportunity to draw in a major opponent.
As for the Mac n Cheese Bowl, it May provide more $$ than an FCS playoff game or championship game but about the only people out there that would be interested or remember who played in it would be the fans of the two schools.

The airport issue has been something I've complained about for years. I would love a Lufkin/Nacogodches regional airport and have heard that it's been talked about, but that was like 10 years ago. It would bring so much money to the area.

The aviation school will help with all of that. Even if we didn't have "regular" commercial service to AL Mangham a once a week flight to Dallas or Houston could be a real positive.

Kind of indirect, but I believe joining a university system could also help with transportation issues.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

It's hard to consider a $142 million dollar athletics budget, so comparing SFA in any kind of P5 conversation is cumbersome.

I have done some research using the Knight Newhouse Foundation study/database. We would be in the bottom end of CUSA but not the lowest. Our budget is similar to LaTech, Jacksonville St, Sam.
Ya we're definitely not going to get fawning ESPN coverage for 5 years, but it could be a good opportunity for a donor to get pissed that we need better facilities and open the check book. A time to get together a small NIL collective. Snag some of those FBS transfers Sam was getting, etc.
SFAXE93
Brevin Randle picks up offers from Alcorn State, Eastern Illinois
Jacks4460
He will end up in Ruston..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

He will end up in Ruston..
That's what I would think. His disconnect was with the new coaches. Why not follow the previous ones.
65tosspowertrap
I'd bet against SFA ever going to the next level. Location, lack of nearby airport, lack of attendance in my view are the chief stumbling blocks. This school belongs in FCS. Now...if there was a way to get a new stadium, or at least a renovated stadium, maybe there'd be a chance. SFA just does not draw, and that's a shame. It used to not be that way. In the '80s and '90s the program drew far more of a crowd, especially from students. Need butts in seats, fellas. Watching the games from afar on TV just breaks my heart, seeing the near empty student side.

To paraphrase the youngster who does the color on ESPN+, maybe it's "just not tom" yet.
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
BigJack85
65tosspowertrap said:

I'd bet against SFA ever going to the next level. Location, lack of nearby airport, lack of attendance in my view are the chief stumbling blocks. This school belongs in FCS. Now...if there was a way to get a new stadium, or at least a renovated stadium, maybe there'd be a chance. SFA just does not draw, and that's a shame. It used to not be that way. In the '80s and '90s the program drew far more of a crowd, especially from students. Need butts in seats, fellas. Watching the games from afar on TV just breaks my heart, seeing the near empty student side.

To paraphrase the youngster who does the color on ESPN+, maybe it's "just not tom" yet.

Nobody draws at the FCS level except MVFC and BIG Sky conference teams.

Did you see the attendance for the 1st round playoff games

To me, with football you're either in or out. FBS is in. Frankly, from an economics perspective you are better off playing soccer and dropping football Put the additional funds (not revenue) into baseball and soccer. More likely to compete at a national level in soccer than FCS/FBS
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
65tosspowertrap said:

The biggest issue with attendance from the students is that they don't care about our opponents. At least in the FBS we would have schools they already know about and probably have some association with. A home game against UTEP, Rice, or UNT would draw a much bigger crowd than against Utah Tech.
RedRiverLa
Well, our band is already at the FBS level, can we petition that they be bowl eligible without the football team?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
djsfw57
RedRiverLa said:

Well, our band is already at the FBS level, can we petition that they be bowl eligible without the football team?
That literally made me laugh out loud.
BigJack85
BigJack85 said:

65tosspowertrap said:

Nobody draws at the FCS level except MVFC and BIG Sky conference teams.

Did you see the attendance for the 1st round playoff games

To me, with football you're either in or out. FBS is in. Frankly, from an economics perspective you are better off playing soccer and dropping football Put the additional funds (not revenue) into baseball and soccer. More likely to compete at a national level in soccer than FCS/FBS

Seems relevant today.
MasterAxe
Side note:

Incarnate Word is a machine.

Been in FCS for 9 years, has 3 conference titles and 3 playoff wins (and counting).

We should be more like them.
SFAXE93
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE FOOTBALL (DIVISION I HISTORY)

1984: 7-3-1; 1-3-1
1985: 9-2-0; 4-1-0 Conference Champions
1986: 5-6-0; 1-3-0 (peaked at #17)
1987: 3-7-1; 0-5-0
1988: 10-3-0; 5-1-0 (#9) (2-weeks at #1); Playoffs; Quarterfinals
1989: 12-2-1; 5-0-1 (#3) Conference Champions; Playoffs; National Championship Game

RECORD: 46-23-3; 16-13-2
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 1985, 1989
TOP 25 POLL FINISH: 1988, 1989

1990: 1-10-0; 1-5-0 (pre-season #2; lost first game and dropped out of the Top 25)
1991: 2-8-1; 1-5-1
1992: 3-8-0; 1-6-0
1993: 8-4-0; 5-2-0 (#14) (peaked at #10); Playoffs - First Round
1994: 6-3-2; 4-1-1 (#21) (pre-season #14; peaked at #11)
1995: 11-2-0; 4-1-0 (#5) Playoffs; Semifinals (Pre-season #13; peaked at #3; 2 first place votes)
1996: 7-4-0; 3-3-0 (#22) (pre-season #5; 3 first place votes; peaked at #3; 4 first place votes)
1997: 8-3-0; 5-2-0 (#13) (pre-season #15; peaked at #7; 2 first place votes)
1998: 3-8-0; 2-5-0 (peaked at #24)
1999: 8-3-0; 6-1-0 (#22) (peaked at #19) Conference Champions

RECORD: 57-53-3; 32-31-2
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 1999
TOP 25 POLL FINISH: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999

2000: 6-5-0; 3-4-0 (pre-season #17; peaked at #10)
2001: 6-5-0; 4-2-0 (peaked at #19)
2002: 6-5-0; 3-3-0 (peaked at #23)
2003: 7-4-0; 4-1-0 (pre-season #23; peaked at #17)
2004: 6-4-0; 1-4-0 (pre-season #16; peaked at #5 with 5 first place vote)
2005: 5-6-0; 1-5-0 (peaked at #24)
2006: 4-7-0; 4-2-0
2007: 0-11-0; 0-7-0
2008: 4-8-0; 2-5-0
2009: 10-3-0; 6-1-0 (#10) Conference Champions; Playoffs - Quarterfinals

RECORD: 54-58-0; 28-34-0
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2009
TOP 25 POLL FINISH: 2009

2010: 9-3-0; 6-1-0 (#8) Conference Champions; Playoffs - Second Round (pre-season #8; peaked at #3; 5 first place votes)
2011: 6-5-0; 5-2-0 (pre-season #17; peaked at #16)
2012: 5-6-0; 4-3-0 (pre-season #20; peaked at #19)
2013: 3-9-0; 1-6-0
2014: 8-5-0; 5-3-0 Playoffs - First Round (peaked #24)
2015: 4-7-0; 4-5-0 (pre-season #24; peaked at #24)
2016: 5-6-0; 4-5-0
2017: 4-7-0; 4-5-0
2018: 2-8-0; 2-7-0
2019: 3-9-0; 3-6-0

RECORD: 49-65-0; 38-43-0
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2010
TOP 25 POLL FINISH: 2010

2020: 6-4-0; 0-0-0 (opt out of spring season)
2021: 8-4-0; 4-1-0 (#21) Playoffs - First Round (peaked at #20)
2022: 6-5-0; 3-1-0 (pre-season #10; peaked at #10) Conference Champions

RECORD: 20-13-0; 7-2-0
CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: 2022
TOP 25 POLL FINISH: 2021
nacluth
Nice stat work 93!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Thanks 93. That's good work. So from 1984 to present Jacks record is 226-212-6 Not exactly striking fear into our opponents but a bit over .500

On a previous version of this board I had gone through old media guides and posted the lifetime record of SFA and I believe is was about 100 more losses than wins...going back as far as records I could find.
Didn't save it so when I get time I will go back and tally the pre Div1 days and get the numbers for all time.
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
Also would like to note, UIW is not one dimensional. They're beating up on NDSU however they want.
SFASawmillGuy

No one can tell us we have a weak schedule in 2023. Lots of good, tough matchups. Those holes will need to be filled ASAP and the gaps need to be ironed out this spring.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

No one can tell us we have a weak schedule in 2023. Lots of good, tough matchups. Those holes will need to be filled ASAP and the gaps need to be ironed out this spring.

Eastern Kentucky to close the season. Hmmmm
MasterAxe
Easily a 9-2 record.

Loses to Troy on a last second lateral-gone-wrong ala Patriots.

Rally to win a bunch in a row.

Loses random game mid-conference for...reasons.

Still win conference, AQ to playoffs.

Brian Maurer throws for 3,500 and runs for 900+ with 42 total TD's.

Walter Payton Award winner.
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Easily a 9-2 record.

I hope so…..
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

Easily a 9-2 record.

I thought I was the only one allowed to be optimistic about SFA football here.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Me thinks someone hijacked Master Axe account!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yeah, Mr. Negativity.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

He's been kidnapped and this is the way he's telling us without his kidnappers catching on.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
The New DC at CSUP

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.