WEEK 9: UTAH TECH

15,720 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheRevSFA
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was looking for a QB sneak, run or Self roll out to the right with the option to pass or run it in. But what do I know? Probably not much. Lol
No-look
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I could accept going for the win but you need to have the RPO OR just try the one yard plunge. We run into the middle of the defense all day long but trying to thread a pass into about 10 guys was not the call.

Seattle / New England comes to mind
MasterAxe
The "our program is headed the right direction" folks are real quiet
Jacks4460
MasterAxe said:

Your an idiot..
MasterAxe
Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Your an idiot..

You're
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Your an idiot..

You're

Point still stands.

I'd suggest finding a way to spend your time on Saturdays that leads to more happiness bc you'd still have been pissed if we caught that final pass.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Your an idiot..

You're

Point still stands.

I'd suggest finding a way to spend your time on Saturdays that leads to more happiness bc you'd still have been pissed if we caught that final pass.
I would have been so happy if we'd have won.

But, multiple things can be true at once:

We lost to the worst team in FCS
Our coaches continue to make bone headed decisions
Our defense has regressed
We aren't going to the playoffs.

I admire your eternal optimism, but we're not headed in the right direction this year.
AxeEm99
Carthel "Chose Us" 4 years ago. Its time for SFA to choose someone else! We need a "Willie Fritz" or "KC Keeler" caliber coach if we *REALLY* want to succeed in football!!
I graduated 24 years ago and absolutely nothing has changed in football at SFA. Poor choices in hiring and play calling like the last play have really cost us big!! A "#3 recruiting class" cannot have success without good consistent leadership.... And we still dont have it!!
RedRiverLa
Last thought. We're ticked about the last play, but a Utah Tech team just put up 47 against us.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
RedRiverLa said:

Last thought. We're ticked about the last play, but a Utah Tech team just put up 47 against us.
Math: we've given up 147 points in the last 4 games.

Defense has really fallen off lately.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well I have been on the Carthel wagon since he arrived and I still believe that he can get the job done here....
That said this year has been a step backwards or sideways and don't see how anyone can say differently. Our defense is just bad and tackles poorly. Offense is generally good at getting points on the board but has the occasional game like vs Sam where they disappeared for the whole 2nd half. Carthel won't be the first coach to have a year that didn't reach expectations.....we heard a lot of talk and hype but it has not translated to the field.
Definitely premature to consider a change at the top BUT perhaps Carthel needs to make some changes in style of coaching , playcalling and adjusting to the difference between Div 2 and FCS. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of coaching but you don't dump a head coach due to one "down" or disappointing season....at least not at FCS level.......besides the fact that another head coaching change would mean the usual 3-4 years for a new coach to get things together.

Today's loss was just bad.....defense non existent and the final play call was just bad. No way around it.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Yes 99, for the 100th time you say we need a Fritz or a Keeler...then tell us who these miracle workers are so we can go get them. Oh thats right , you have no idea.

Your jealousy of Sam is so not a pretty sight.

Perhaps you can do some research and find the perfect candidate and get with Ryan Ivey and get it done.
Ljacks&Longnecks
True RedRiver. Had the defense performed at all then the last play would have been a kneel down.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Yes 99, for the 100th time you say we need a Fritz or a Keeler...then tell us who these miracle workers are so we can go get them. Oh thats right , you have no idea.

Perhaps you can do some research and find the perfect candidate and get with Ryan Ivey and get it done.
Urb Meyer. Bob Petrino. Bob Stoops.

Only acceptable answers.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Agreed. Let's get 99 on the phone and in negotiations with this group.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Your an idiot..

You're

Point still stands.

no doubt...
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
AxeEm99
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I will just say this... I know the AD at SH personally. I work with his daughter. If he can entice a Fritz or Keeler type coach, SFA can too!!
I am not an AD, and do not work in those circles, but the big reason SH got Fritz and Keeler was because of persistence. Keeler moved all the way from Delaware to coach at SH!! DELAWARE!! Ivey needs to find out who the most successful FCS coaches are and start calling them. Then call again. And again. And again until they say Yes!!! (Sales 101)
Trying to get lucky from D2 to D1 is not the answer. A PROVEN FCS WINNER is the only answer if we REALLY want to go bigtime!

TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

Jacks4460 said:

MasterAxe said:

Your an idiot..

You're

Point still stands.

I would have been so happy if we'd have won.

But, multiple things can be true at once:

We lost to the worst team in FCS
Our coaches continue to make bone headed decisions
Our defense has regressed
We aren't going to the playoffs.

I admire your eternal optimism, but we're not headed in the right direction this year.
I don't think this season is going exactly how I(or anyone in the fieldhouse or on this board) had hoped. But it's not a defcon 5 fire Carthel situation. I do think we need a new playcaller on offense. Defense will settle in, maybe not this year, but they're talented coaches and defensive systems take time to gel.

But the brightside? I don't think I've seen SFA pack it in for any game in the past two seasons, even the two where we got the doors blown off. These kids play hard & never quit. They could have folded multiple times tonight. They apparently like playing for Coach Carthel. They appear to have a tough nosed cullture.

So if I'm looking at the future of the football program, yes I'm still excited about it. We're recruiting as good as we ever have. We have a head coach that kids will leave it all on the field for. We need some X & O tweaks here and there and too reload the defensive line. Last year's was probably as talented as SFA has ever had at one time and we're seeing what it looks like without 2 FBS players & an NFL guy holding it down.

I hate losing, but I also see where this team is, the culture that we're building, and I know that's going to pay off for us down the line.
RedRiverLa
SFA88 said:

UT is really struggling with their move to FCS. A homecoming game for SFA. I almost feel bad for UT. This game could get ugly.
It did.
Lumberjack Battalion
MasterAxe
Carthel says in post-game that we were not prepared and it was a trap game.

Except next week we have a bye.

So, a trap for what?
PurpleOut
Staff
Carthel said he didn't prepare the team well enough and that it was a trap game.

What?

We literally have a bye next weekend and only TWO games left. Goodness.
RedRiverLa
Well, I spent the last two hours driving home and listening to soothing acoustic music. And after more reflection...I'm still ticked! This is how row 44, chairbacks called it. First, I/we have always hated the shotgun on the one or closer, gives more opportunity for more D players to make a play, bobble the ball, etc.. After the UT timeout we thought SFA was just bluffing and would go under center...WRONG! Our call was QB sneak or short handoff to back with TE or OL in backfield providing the push - if we can't get that, well we don't deserve it. It seems like our braintrust under contract$ disagreed and said let's go with the play that has the lowest odds of succeeding from the one for the win - a jump pass to an eligible OL. Unless a miracle happens, what I will remember about this year is blowing a 21 point lead to TS, losing to a much inferior SHSU (we thought), and now being manhandled by a 1-6 team at homecoming. I have to say, their QB was impressive and on target. I don't want to fire Carthel. I think that's silly right now - I just want him and his staff to start coaching at the FCS level with creativity instead of stupidity - when we know in row 44 what SFA is about to call (except that last debacle), then we are looking at mediocrity. Preseason hype means zilch.
Lumberjack Battalion
PurpleOut
Staff
I like Carthel. He's an awesome person and I think he fits the SFA and Nacogdoches culture perfectly. He's a great recruiter and a decent coach. But he's making too many BIG mistakes.

Obviously he's not the one out there missing tackles or fumbling the ball. But his decision making is costing us points, and eventually games. Some of them we'll forget about because we came back and won. But it's highly concerning and can't be overlooked.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Should be mentioned that the Utah Tech QB came from Washington St and played in the Sun Bowl last year vs Central Mi. He was 3rd on the depth chart I believe and played in Sun Bowl due to an injury and an opt out starting QB. So he was not an untested 3rd stringer. Apparently had some playing time with UTech early but had thrown 8 Ints according to broadcast guys. Made amends today on any previous flops.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

I like Carthel. He's an awesome person and I think he fits the SFA and Nacogdoches culture perfectly. He's a great recruiter and a decent coach. But he's making too many BIG mistakes.

Obviously he's not the one out there missing tackles or fumbling the ball. But his decision making is costing us points, and eventually games. Some of them we'll forget about because we came back and won. But it's highly concerning and can't be overlooked.
100%
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Should be mentioned that the Utah Tech QB came from Washington St and played in the Sun Bowl last year vs Central Mi. He was 3rd on the depth chart I believe and played in Sun Bowl due to an injury and an opt out starting QB. So he was not an untested 3rd stringer. Apparently had some playing time with UTech early but had thrown 8 Ints according to broadcast guys. Made amends today on any previous flops.
Honestly, I thought he was impressive and threw a great ball. Our interception was the perfect throw, his receiver just didn't have the strength to keep it.
Lumberjack Battalion
PurpleOut
Staff
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

He's a RS Freshman that on the season had only 2 TDs and 8 (EIGHT) INTs. Tonight he smoked us with 5 TDs.
RedRiverLa
Truly last thought. Miles made an incredible 47 TD run. It was extremely impressive in person as he broke tackles, never gave up and willed himself in for the score. Just go back and rewatch if you can. And yet, we don't trust this guy, with this type of heart, to get us less than 1 yard for the win? Or at the very least, give him the chance? Just Dumbfounded.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
And he almost made a 5 yard leap to win the game. 6 inches short.
Ljacks&Longnecks
True. RS freshman that smoked our defense.

Sun Bowl he had 180 yards passing with 2 TDs. about 47% completion
SFASawmillGuy
Carthel is our guy. I won't let an ugly loss blind me from how good he was.

This loss was bad. Horrible. Probably our worst loss in 15 years. But let's not forget when Keller had a straight up losing season and we didn't even make the conference tourney in basketball. This was supposed to be our year. But bad years and road bumps will happen. If we see the regression next year as well we can evaluate his worth as a coach.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Carthel is our guy. I won't let an ugly loss blind me from how good he was.

This loss was bad. Horrible. Probably our worst loss in 15 years. But let's not forget when Keller had a straight up losing season and we didn't even make the conference tourney in basketball. This was supposed to be our year. But bad years and road bumps will happen. If we see the regression next year as well we can evaluate his worth as a coach.

Ya. I sat through the entire thing. In the rain, the mist etc. The defense is just mind boggling to me. How can we be that bad. I'm still with Carthel. But like Purple said, some of the play calls and coaching decisions are suspect.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA88
RedRiverLa said:

SFA88 said:

UT is really struggling with their move to FCS. A homecoming game for SFA. I almost feel bad for UT. This game could get ugly.
It did.

indeed
SFAJack_76
millenniumkat said:

I stopped by to watch this game whilst visiting family. Its raining now so im out. Crowd size is crap. Later Naco's
True … it was a Sam size crowd. 7,156

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.