WEEK 9: UTAH TECH

15,449 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheRevSFA
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Really? Even from that bad angle contact was clearly made outside of the end zone. Forward progress is almost always from point of contact.
I thought his own path carried him into the endzone rather than our contact. But that was watching it on the broadcast.
nacluth
Believe me I know. I watch every game with fan eyes.
SFA88
PurpleOut said:

It may not have mattered or have been overturned, but why didn't we challenge this as a safety?

And given it wasn't challenged, why post it to Twitter? Is the team trying to remind everyone they didn't challenge a play they should have challenged? Seems like there are better plays to use .

Just me but I would avoid reminding fans of anything from that game.
SFA88
nacluth said:

Really? Even from that bad angle contact was clearly made outside of the end zone. Forward progress is almost always from point of contact.
Grabbing the slider and moving it back and forth, I think you are correct. You would need a goal line angle to be sure. Still...it's close enough for a challenge.
PurpleOut
Staff
That's one of the initial problems. No review/challenge will ever be worth it in our stadium (a lot of FCS stadiums) with no other camera angles. Nothing will ever get overturned.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

That's one of the initial problems. No review/challenge will ever be worth it in our stadium (a lot of FCS stadiums) with no other camera angles. Nothing will ever get overturned.

This is an example of the camera work, not the stadium. I've watched the regionally televised games at Homer Bryce when we're the game of the week and the camera work is FBS level. The student production is the problem.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

PurpleOut said:

This is an example of the camera work, not the stadium. I've watched the regionally televised games at Homer Bryce when we're the game of the week and the camera work is FBS level. The student production is the problem.
Or lack of cameras. If there had been good camera angles in the next to last play, Reed may have scored. Of course, if the initial call had been TD, it probably would have stood.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFASawmillGuy said:

PurpleOut said:

I know, that's what I'm meaning.

I remember a few games we had additional cameras on the home side (maybe 3 additional) and it still didn't help much in terms of angles and replays.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

PurpleOut said:

I know, that's what I'm meaning.

I remember a few games we had additional cameras on the home side (maybe 3 additional) and it still didn't help much in terms of angles and replays.
We just don't have the bandwidth(or the desire) to train the students well imo.

Utah Tech had a lower camera angle than you'd like last season bc their stadium isn't big, but the production value was high with replays and highlights thrown in. they partner with a local TV station to teach the students. Think it's even an arm of their broadcasting degree iirc.
TheRevSFA
I've kept quiet on this (granted I said a few things on the WACSun Weekly podcast) but a few things:

1) losing our defensive staff has hurt more than any one expect and we now have to realize that, our offense is going to have to carry us the rest of the way because defense isn't. We are going against a UCA team next saturday that has one of the best FCS backs in the game (Darius Hale) and a QB (Will McElvain) who can move the ball.

2) our play calling has to be smarter and more creative. I am not mad at them for going for the win (in fact, I respect the move) but if you have RBs who are averaging 5 YPC, then what in the blue hell are you calling?

3) I like Carthel. I think he has definitely done more in his time in Nac than Conque, Harper, Santiago, etc have done, but I also wonder if we don't make the playoffs, if Ryan should put a little bit of pressure on him. I'm not near firing status, because of what he has done, but I think something does have change.

A bye week to recover, and we have two very tough games with UCA and ACU in back to back weeks. If SFA loses either, any chance at the AQ is gone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.