Looking ahead to next season

16,554 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJack85
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I agree, I was hoping everyone stayed for at least one more season for the 2022 run.

Me too, but having assistants get bigger jobs is a sign of a healthy program. We lost, I think, four assistants last year. All to bigger, better jobs. It's happened within the last year in VB, MBB, and WBB also.

The combination of winning programs, and low pay relative to market, means more changes will come.
Yep. Better than getting stuck with coaches nobody wants.

And it appears all our coaches at SFA are adept at hiring replacements.
SFAJack_76
Of our last group, after dismissal, one got a D1 job. The rest were D2, D3, NAIA, Juco, or high school. An entire staff with one D1 quality coach. No wonder.
SFAXE93
Carthel is good at identifying quality coaches, just as much as players.

When Carthel first got here, he had a couple of coaches who were hired away (one went to TCU, and the other to the NFL) before the season even started.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Of our last group, after dismissal, one got a D1 job. The rest were D2, D3, NAIA, Juco, or high school. An entire staff with one D1 quality coach. No wonder.
What a stunning indictment of the program in that era.

Meanwhile SFA might have had a top 3 college staff in the entire state this past season.
Buckytaylor
So last checked we must replace a DC , OL, DL, and a DB coach. And all this before the first signing day. The recruiting areas for whoever's left got a lot bigger
TallTexan
Buckytaylor said:

So last checked we must replace a DC , OL, DL, and a DB coach. And all this before the first signing day. The recruiting areas for whoever's left got a lot bigger
Are we losing Faske/JMac?
Jacks4460
JMac i assume..
SFAXE93
Carthel came to SFA in 2019 and these are the coaches who have left so far.

DC - SCOTT POWER > DC LOUISIANA TECH
RC - PHILIP VIGIL > WESTERN NEW MEXICO HEAD COACH
OWR - LEONARD HANKERS > 49ERS (NFL)
OWR - MALCOLM KELLY > WR TCU
OC - BRIAN NATKIN > CARDINALS (NFL)
DB - > FREDDIE BANKS > DB NEVADA > DC MONTANA STATE
SFAJack_76
JMac and Marcus Walker aren't on our on line roster.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

JMac and Marcus Walker aren't on our on line roster.
Man they are johnny on the spot with edits on rosters.
Jacks4460
Coach Nate will be next.. Think JMac and Coach Walker to La Tech likewise..
TallTexan
I hope La Tech isn't just poaching all our guys.

I know they can give JMac a raise but I'd rather us have looked at him for DC.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I hope La Tech isn't just poaching all our guys.

I know they can give JMac a raise but I'd rather us have looked at him for DC.
I hate to see JMac leave, but he isn't ready to be a DC. Carthel has a good internal candidate in Faske, or he might get a top outside candidate. SFA DC is a great opportunity for someone.
TallTexan
Ya you'd have to maybe consider some training wheels for the role until he got a good handle on it.
SFAXE93
Three good coaches to consider from Division II.

Xavier Adibi (DC) TAMC
Casey Walker (DT) TAMC
Adam Clark (DC) Angelo State

SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

La Tech just got a good defense.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Xavier Adibi (DC) TAMC
Casey Walker (DT) TAMC

I like the NFL experience the TAMC guys bring.

I also wonder if there's a GA for a major program out there that might make a good DT coach.
TallTexan
Should also note that we have a whole host of graduate assistants currently at SFA who could step into a few of these position roles.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Xavier Adibi (DC) TAMC
Casey Walker (DT) TAMC

We think alike… Coach has ties to both schools.. Getting Coach Walker AND Coach Adibi would be huge..
Jacks4460
All I can say is whomever inherits our defense is getting an elite Defense with numerous players that have NFL talent.. And they will sh$! their pants when they see em in action.. We got everyone coming back except for Rayshad and Bert and Ramos.. A lot of depth too.. They will becoming into a situation where they will have some friggin dogs to work with..
SFAXE93
SFA football recruits are suddenly getting Louisiana Tech offers.
Jacks4460
which ones 93?
MasterAxe
With the news of coach(es) leaving, it reminds me on why we/I should never assume anything about any upcoming season.

The "Yeah, but next year," is a great mantra, when you believe everything stays the same and people stay and improve.

We should still be a really really good team.

Now, we just gotta keep all the players.
SFAXE93
I was just assuming it is going to happen since so many former SFA coaches are now at Louisiana Tech.

But I did notice that Trey Fife out of Tatum just got a Louisiana Tech offer today and he has an offer from SFA.
Jacks4460
I really thought the coaches that are leaving would of hung around for next year to make a run at a NC instead of going to greener pastures now... La Tech is a great place but they could of done better next year with a possible NC run on their resumes.. its ok tho because there will be alot of interest in this DC job under Carthel... He needs to find someone our players can connect with someone whom our players would run through a brick wall for someone that can motivate them even more than Coach Scott did...We have a hell of a D coming back and some great great leadership in the locker room... If Coach Carthel can find that DC that can motivate and keep the same schemes and such then we will make a run at a NC because it all starts with Defense..
Jacks4460
Fife is from Tatum... Home of Larry Centers... We should of gotten LC involved..
Buckytaylor
Faske has searched and found many of these recruits. And while he and the staff are out recruiting, you got guys interviewing for bigger gigs on SFA dimes and then they poach someone else's work. Nice men of character good riddance! See you September
SFAXE93
Yes, you are right, corrected it.
Jacks4460
Karma will be in our favor Bucky... I sure hope Carthel ripped their sh!* for doing that before they left... Let em know they shouldnt be portraying something they are not...
TallTexan
Ehh, as much as we want to believe it, these kids commit to coaches as much as schools. And why not, they spend most of their career on campus in the athletic facilities.

I'm not gonna fault a coach who's built a relationship with a kid for still wanting a good player at their new destination.

We've kept Carthel and that's the most important thing. Gonna have to fill some holes, but we'll have a chance to show La Tech who the best team is on Sept 10th next year.
SFAXE93
Talk about knowing your personnel and players for the Louisiana Tech staff next season, against SFA.
SFAXE93
TallTexan
Was really hoping he'd been offered a spot on Venables staff at OU.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Talk about knowing your personnel and players for the Louisiana Tech staff next season, against SFA.
Our dudes weren't scared of Texas Tech, I don't think they'll be scared of the Tech OC with LA Tech's dudes.

We've got the dawgs and right now they don't. Perfect opportunity.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.