Looking ahead to next season

16,099 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJack85
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thoughts on next season?

I'm already looking forward to it. With 14 of 16 players on the all conference list still with eligibility, there's a lot to like for the returning Lumberjacks.

And I'm assuming some of our seniors will utilize their covid year of eligibility.

A few areas we can improve the team this offseason:

Recruiting: We've got some big future holes to fill this offseason and some smaller current ones.

Big: We need replacements for Self/Gipson waiting in the wings. Assuming both return, I expect next year to be their last season in the purple and white. We might already have those guys on the roster, but I'm not confident in it yet.

Smaller: A big WR who can go up and win jump balls would complement Gipson nicely. That guy might be on the roster. But a Tamrick type guy would be a big win in targets.

RBs: We either have to get ours healthy or find some in the portal. There will be some fantastic options and we can sell a playoff team now for transfers.

Offensive playcalling: I'm all for playing aggresive, taking chances, going for it on 4th, etc. But there were a few times this year where we shot ourselves in the foot or had lackluster play calling in big moments. Two that stand out. The final drives vs UIW and vs Sam. Just like we forgot half our brains there.

However, I'm nitpicking here. I'd say we're at 90% good, 10% bad, so as this coaching staff continues to grow and improve, I think they'll shrink that margin. But we'll need that 10% in close games like vs Sam or in playoff scenarios. I know we can get there.

What are yalls thoughts?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

What are yalls thoughts?
Good comments, Texan. I agree with virtually everything you've said. Nothing more to add at this point. Call me an eternal optimist, but I'm already excited about next season.

And don't forget that 4460 says that we have at least one HUGE pickup when the early signing period starts in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see who that is.
SFAJack_76
Looking forward to December 15. Carthel does not put emphasis on early signings, but there could be some good ones this time.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

Thoughts on next season?

I'm already looking forward to it. With 14 of 16 players on the all conference list still with eligibility, there's a lot to like for the returning Lumberjacks.

And I'm assuming some of our seniors will utilize their covid year of eligibility.

Recruiting: We've got some big future holes to fill this offseason and some smaller current ones.

Big: We need replacements for Self/Gipson waiting in the wings. Assuming both return, I expect next year to be their last season in the purple and white. We might already have those guys on the roster, but I'm not confident in it yet.

Smaller: A big WR who can go up and win jump balls would complement Gipson nicely. That guy might be on the roster. But a Tamrick type guy would be a big win in targets.

RBs: We either have to get ours healthy or find some in the portal. There will be some fantastic options and we can sell a playoff team now for transfers.

Offensive playcalling: I'm all for playing aggresive, taking chances, going for it on 4th, etc. But there were a few times this year where we shot ourselves in the foot or had lackluster play calling in big moments. Two that stand out. The final drives vs UIW and vs Sam. Just like we forgot half our brains there.

However, I'm nitpicking here. I'd say we're at 90% good, 10% bad, so as this coaching staff continues to grow and improve, I think they'll shrink that margin. But we'll need that 10% in close games like vs Sam or in playoff scenarios. I know we can get there.

What are yalls thoughts?
I honestly believe the biggest improvement we need to make for next year is play calling. I have been stumped repeatedly at some of the insane play selections at times. It is a very weak spot for Carthel.
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

TallTexan said:

Thoughts on next season?

What are yalls thoughts?
I honestly believe the biggest improvement we need to make for next year is play calling. I have been stumped repeatedly at some of the insane play selections at times. It is a very weak spot for Carthel.
Think most of that rests on Coach Storm. It's definitely a high intensity style we want to play and we've shown flashes of promise. I felt like Texas Tech was our best called game(I'm sure if I rewatched I'd see some headscratchers) but they had that gameplan set up to take big swings at a P5 opponent. And it nearly worked.

We definitely got better at the playcalling in my estimation when Reed became a reliable RB.

But I hope that when they're watching tape this offseason, the coaching staff polishes up the 2 minute drill playcalling a good bit. Room for improvement there.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Looking forward to December 15. Carthel does not put emphasis on early signings, but there could be some good ones this time.
That is just around the corner.

And I think we've probably established ourselves as a decent transfer destination too with a winning season under our belt.
Jacks4460
Guys play calling from the couch is easy... We didn't have a true RB until Miles finally got 85% healthy so Coach's hands are kinda tied to what they need to do.. We will get better and next year these close games are going to be W's that how championship teams usually are... I am just so happy we made the playoffs this year and everyone thought I was crazy back in the spring when I said we have talent and desire to make the playoffs.. I hate it for our Sr.'s that we didn't get those 4 W's that were within our reach... We are going to be good... Carthel and crew aren't going anywhere until we have a championship then the wolves will be howling at our door... We need to hope LSU,Texas, A&M,Baylor, TCU doesnt come in and swipe up #2 with a NLI deal (or whatever the NCAA created is called).. We have a great foundation we need to build on and the next step is winning those close games.. We will get there... Yep Dec 15 could be pretty darn big for us and the future of our Jacks.. I am not a true believer in the star rating system but there are 2 5 star dudes we are in the serious hunt for.. Also gonna keep a huge bEASTtx baller in the piney woods and this kid t can tote the note... The future is really bright for our beloved Jacks.. AxeEm
SFAXE93
2022 Pre-season Top 20 team for sure
SFA Jack Fanatic
Reed is a junior, right? Are the other injured RB's going to be healthy by next year? Did any of them have career-ending injuries? It's been a while, and I can't recall the details on any of their situations.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

2022 Pre-season Top 20 team for sure

If you're talking about FCS, I see us being in the top 10 for sure. No way that we're not.
SFAXE93
It would be REED's 6th season.

2022 - ?
2021 - 10 Games
2020 - 8 Games
2019 - 15 Games
2018 - 10 Games
2017 - Redshirt
SFAXE93
LOADED for 2022!

QB:#1 TRAE SELF 6-4; 200 (SR.) 2nd Team All-Wac

RB:#26 MILES REED 5-8; 190 (SR.) 2nd Team All-Wac

WR:#2 XAVIER GIPSON 5-9; 170 (JR.) 1st Team All-Wac; Wac OPOY
WR:#11 JEREMIAH MILLER 6-2; 190 (SR.)
WR:#13 QUENTYVIAN BORDERS 6-2; 180 (SR.)

TE:#82 CHAD AUNE 6-4; 221 (SO.)
OL:#74 TERRIN ROBINSON 6-7; 310 (SR.)
OL:#72 JUSTICE GUILLORY 6-3; 325 (SO.)
OL:#65 CLINT LAPIC 6-4; 300 (JR.) 1st Team All-Wac
OL:#66 KEEGAN HOLM 6-4; 285 (JR.) 2nd Team All-Wac
OL:#52 JACOB FARRELL 6-8; 325 (JR.)

DE:#54 AMAD MURRAY 6-3; 245 (JR.)
DT:#7 DENNIS OSAGIEDE 6-0; 290 (SR.) 2nd Team All-Wac
DT:#95 CALEB FOX 6-2; 310 (SO.)
DE:#3 BJ THOMPSON 6-6; 210 (SR.) 1st Team All-Wac

LB:#6 BREVIN RANDLE 5-11; 228 (JR.) 1st Team All-Wac
LB:#28 JERMAINE BROWN 6-1; 195 (SO.)
LB:#32 DARYAN WILLIAMS 5-11; 218 (JR.)

CB:#5 JEREMIAH WALKER 6-1; 176 (SO.) 2nd Team All-Wac
S:#0 MYLES HEARD 5-10; 210 (JR.) 1st Team All-Wac
S:#9 TKAI LLOYD 5-10; 192 (JR.) 2nd Team All-Wac
CB:#10 MYLES BROOKS 6-1; 185 (SR.) 1st Team All-Wac

P:#37 MAX QUICK 5-10; 185 (JR.) 1st Team All-Wac
PK:#41 CHRIS CAMPOS 5-10; 220 (SO.) 1st Team All-Wac
PK:#81 DYLAN BROWN 5-6; 150 (JR.)
LS:#46 CHASE RUIZ 5-10; 235 (JR.)
nacluth
Nice crew returning. How many QBs do we have on the roster left?
SFAXE93
QB:#18 PRESTON WEEKS 6-4; 230 (JR.)
QB:#12 BLAKE SHORT 6-0; 180 (SO.)
QB:#13 WILLIE TAYLOR 6-3; 190 (SO.)
QB:#00 DALTON MCELYEA 6-3; 183 (R.FR.)

Jacks4460
Reed is coming back and will be a Sr next year... Turner broke his wrist and will be back full steam during the spring... JaBray Young is coming back and he was banged up all year... Korbyn White is coming back. Larry Jones and Ward are gone to graduation... Wards injury was career ending.. We also have a shot at a bEASTtx stud RB this early signing period and I do know of a RB we are hot and heavy on from a P5 school(Kid is in the portal now).. We will be set at RB...
Jacks4460
2020 doesnt count it was COVID season... No body looses any eligibility that year..
SFAXE93
Yes, confused on who is what class, plus walk ons come and go, some players don't want to play anymore, transfers, etc.

If players stay, this team is set for the next two seasons.

Scary all conference secondary for two more seasons as well.

QB:#1 TRAE SELF 6-4; 190 (SR.)
QB:#18 PRESON WEEKS 6-4; 230 (JR.)
QB:#13 WILLIE TAYLOR 6-3; 190 (SO.)
QB:#12 BLAKE SHORT 6-0; 180 (R/FR.)
QB:#00 DALTON MCELYEA 6-3; 183 (R/FR.)

RB:#26 MILES REED 5-8; 190 (SR.)
RB:#24 JAQUARION TURNER 5-11; 202 (SO.)
RB:#29 KORBYN WHITE 5-9; 175 (SO.)
RB:#35 TRE'JON HENDERSON 5-11; 205 (SO.)
RB:#34 JA'BRAY YOUNG 5-9; 225 (SO.)
RB:#43 ROBERT MCGRUE 5-7; 170 (SO.)

WR:#11 JEREMIAH MILLER 6-2; 190 (SR.)
WR:#13 QUENTYVIAN BORDERS 6-2; 180 (SR.)
WR:#17 JOSH THOMPSON 5-10; 185 (SR.)
WR:#2 XAVIER GIPSON 5-9; 170 (JR.)
WR:#10 DARRYLE SIMMONS 6-2; 210 (JR.)
WR:#19 MOE WEDMAN 6-0; 194 (SO.)
WR:#89 TY LOVE 6-2; 181 (SO.)
WR:#44 SETH NICKELL 5-10; 175 (SO.)
WR:#30 CAMERON BRADY 6-3; 200 (R/FR.)
WR:#80 CAMERON DOTSON 6-2; 190 (R/FR.)
WR:#81 CHRIS TAYLOR 5-9; 175 (R/FR.)
WR:#83 KOBE BANKS 5-9; 170 (R/FR.)

TE:#86 CARSON SPENCE 6-6; 240 (SR.)
TE:#84 RYAN WAUGH 6-3; 215 (JR.)
TE:#82 CHAD AUNE 6-4; 221 (SO.)
TE:#87 KESHON WILLIAMS 6-3; 245 (SO.)
TE:#88 LAVAR LINDO 6-4; 224 (R/FR.)
TE:#85 GRIFFIN EDWARDS 6-5; 210 (R/FR.)
TE:#00 REED CANTRELL 6-3; 185 (R/FR.)
TE:#00 KADE KLINKOVSKY 6-2; 230 (R/FR.)

OL:#74 TERRIN ROBINSON 6-7; 310 (SR.)
OL:#52 JACOB FARRELL 6-8; 325 (JR.)
OL:#65 CLINT LAPIC 6-4; 300 (JR.)
OL:#66 KEEGAN HOLM 6-4; 285 (JR.)
OL:#70 JARET PORTERFIELD 6-4; 300 (JR.)
OL:#78 DREW BEYMER 6-9; 333 (JR.)
OL:#55 JADEN HOLMES 6-4; 280 (JR.)
OL:#72 JUSTICE GUILLORY 6-3; 325 (SO.)
OL:#51 DANIEL KEYS 6-5; 271 (SO.)
OL:#53 KEEYMON WHITE 6-3; 315 (SO.)
OL:#77 JAYLON WASHINGTON 6-6; 350 (R/FR.)
OL:#75 GRANT JEFFERIS 6-6; 290 (R/FR.)
OL:#76 JORDAN GUILLORY 6-2; 293 (R/FR.)
OL:#56 KELLEN CULBERSON 5-11; 280 (R/FR.)
OL:#57 JARED MANOS 6-2; 270 (R/FR.)
OL:#60 JACOB BROUSSARD 6-1; 270 (R/FR.)
OL:#64 ROBERT KELLER 6-4; 303 (R/FR.)
OL:#68 WILL HUNTSINGER 6-3; 270 (R/FR.)
OL:#00 DANIEL ORTIZ 6-2; 300 (R/FR.)

P:#37 MAX QUICK 5-10; 185 (JR.)
P:#58 CONNOR DAILEY 5-8; 170 (R/FR.)

K:#41 CHRIS CAMPOS 5-10; 220 (SO.)
K:#81 DYLAN BROWN 5-6; 150 (SO.)
K:#47 JAKE RUIZ 5-9; 195 (R/FR.)

LS:#46 CHASE RUIZ 5-10; 235 (JR.)
LS:#48 JOSHUA SMETZER 6-0; 201 (SO.)

DE:#3 BJ THOMPSON 6-6; 210 (SR.)
DE:#54 AMAD MURRAY 6-3; 245 (JR.)
DE:#18 MARJE SMITH 6-4; 225 (JR.)
DE:#42 TERRANCE WAIR 6-1; 230 (JR.)
DE:#00 D'IDRIC DUGAN 6-0; 230 (JR.)
DE:#98 CHANCE HILL 6-4; 235 (SO.)
DE:#24 JAMES SYLVESTER 6-4; 243 (SO.)
DE:#92 WILLBURN SMALLWOOD 6-2; 235 (R/FR.)
DE:#94 DAVE BABALOLA 6-3; 240 (R/FR.)
DE:#00 COHEN DEARMAN 6-1; 220 (R/FR.)

DT:#7 DENNIS OSAGIEDE 6-0; 290 (SR.)
DT:#91 CARL WILLIAMS 6-2; 356 (JR.)
DT:#93 RASON WILLIAMS II 6-4; 270 (JR.)
DT:#95 CALEB FOX 6-2; 310 (SO.)
DT:#97 KY THOMAS 6-4; 285 (SO.)
DT:#96 BJ SCARLETT 6-2; 240 (SO.)
DT:#99 EDWARD BOBINO 6-3; 320 (R/FR.)

LB:#6 BREVIN RANDLE 5-11; 228 (JR.)
LB:#11 JEREMIAH DAVIS 6-0; 180 (JR.)
LB:#32 DARYAN WILLIAMS 5-11; 218 (JR.)
LB:#00 UZO EBINAMA 5-11; 210 (JR.)
LB:#28 JERMAINE BROWN 6-1; 195 (SO.)
LB:#45 EMAN GARRISON 5-10; 187 (SO.)
LB:#50 CHRISTIAN RICHARDS 6-1; 205 (SO.)
LB:#25 LUKE WATSON 6-2; 210 (R/FR.)
LB:#61 DONNIE MOODY 6-0; 225 (R/FR.)

S:#0 MYLES HEARD 5-10; 210 (JR.)
S:#9 TKAI LLOYD 5-10; 192 (JR.)
S:#27 JATERIOUS EVANS 6-1; 190 (JR.)
S:#33 ZAC GULLEY 5-10; 182 (SO.)
S:#00 IKENNA NSOEDO 6-1; 185 (SO.)
S:#00 KAMAURY THOMPSON 6-0; 198 (R/FR.)

CB:#10 MYLES BROOKS 6-1; 185 (JR.)
CB:#22 WILLIE ROBERTS 5-10; 180 (JR.)
CB:#23 BRUCE HARMON 5-11; 181 (SO.)
CB:#20 LENARD LEMONS 5-11; 175 (SO.)
CB:#15 RODNEY JOHNSON 6-2; 195 (SO.)
CB:#5 JEREMIAH WALKER 6-1; 176 (SO.)
CB:#36 ZACH NWACHUKWU 5-8; 186 (SO.)
CB:#40 NEHEMIAH MCINTOSH 5-10; 175 (SO.)
CB:#38 TANNER HOOKER 6-1; 185 (R/FR.)
CB:#39 JALON HUNTER 5-10; 170 (R/FR.)
CB:#29 CHARLES DEMMINGS 6-2; 175 (R/FR.)
CB:#00 TONY REEVES (R/FR.)
Jacks4460
Thank you 93 that roster looks pretty accurate.. Look at all those OL that are JR next year... holy cow... Cameron Brady has the talent to be a super star mark my words... He is young and needs to figure some things out... Man he sure does have NFL type measurements and talent...
SFA Jack Fanatic
I count 32 redshirt freshmen. If a few of those pan out, and we sign some quality true freshmen and transfers, even bigger things are ahead. We're going to be stacked at almost all positions. The only thin position that I see is at QB. Here's hoping that 4460 is correct and we land a prize recruit there.
SFASawmillGuy
IF we land that recruit that is being foretold on this board, 2022 AND 2023 will both be potential national title seasons.

That might be incredibly lofty expectations, but I think the standard has been set by Carthel. This season was phenomenal and way better than we could've expected, but he isn't anywhere near happy with it. As soon as these kids get back from the winter break, I'm sure they'll go immediately to the weight room.
nacluth
I love your enthusiasm 03!
SFASawmillGuy
And the for the first time, it seems like realistic optimism.
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

IF we land that recruit that is being foretold on this board, 2022 AND 2023 will both be potential national title seasons.

This recruit is not as good as Trey is right now but he is young and will provide some serious competition which is good for everyone and depth.. Trey will be hard to beat out with 3 yrs under his belt…
SFASawmillGuy
Jacks4460 said:

SFA_03 said:

This recruit is not as good as Trey is right now but he is young and will provide some serious competition which is good for everyone and depth.. Trey will be hard to beat out with 3 yrs under his belt…

To be clear, Trae is QB1 no matter what. I can pretty much guarantee that we could get the second coming of Vince Young and Trae would still start next year. The team is behind him, he's their leader, the coaching staff would never bench him after 3 years as the starter unless he just absolutely has a stinker of a year.
What I mean by us being so good for 2023 is that the new QB will hopefully be ready to hit the ground running and, with Xavier to throw to, would hopefully mean our offense wouldn't miss a single step and be just as good.
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA_03 said:

To be clear, Trae is QB1 no matter what. I can pretty much guarantee that we could get the second coming of Vince Young and Trae would still start next year. The team is behind him, he's their leader, the coaching staff would never bench him after 3 years as the starter unless he just absolutely has a stinker of a year.
What I mean by us being so good for 2023 is that the new QB will hopefully be ready to hit the ground running and, with Xavier to throw to, would hopefully mean our offense wouldn't miss a single step and be just as good.
Not to be a Debbie-Downer, but I would take Vince Young over anyone.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

SFA_03 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFA_03 said:

Not to be a Debbie-Downer, but I would take Vince Young over anyone.

I was just making the point that it doesn't matter who we get, Trae is the guy unless something crazy happens.
Buckytaylor
Well so it begins, looking at the La tech forum, they are hiring our DC. So no more Power. Now rumors are no OL coach (La Tech also) Wonder how many more will we loose?
SFASawmillGuy
Buckytaylor said:

Well so it begins, looking at the La tech forum, they are hiring our DC. So no more Power. Now rumors are no OL coach (La Tech also) Wonder how many more will we loose?

Very unfortunate but not unexpected. I can almost guarantee Coach McFarland will be named DC though, in which case I think our defense is in great hands.
OL wise I think Carthel will be able to find a replacement. It would be nice if we could somehow convince coach Best to come back to Nac.
SFAXE93
I see Powers has been removed from the coaches' page on the roster.

Coach Young is still there.

I see new LA. Tech Head Coach Sonny Gumbie also hired former SFA coach Jake Brown who coached running backs for the Lumberjacks for 2 seasons before heading to TCU where he coached with Gumbie.

Buckytaylor
SFA_03 said:

Buckytaylor said:

Very unfortunate but not unexpected. I can almost guarantee Coach McFarland will be named DC though, in which case I think our defense is in great hands.
OL wise I think Carthel will be able to find a replacement. It would be nice if we could somehow convince coach Best to come back to Nac.

I agree with Coach Best. McFarland is a good coach, but has only 2 years as a position coach. I'd go with Faske he's been with the system longer than most. Besides McFarland may be headed with Power. It's all business but sure sucks to be restaffing when we are so close
SFAXE93
I agree, I was hoping everyone stayed for at least one more season for the 2022 run.

SFAXE93
Would Bill Best leave FBS Nevada for FCS SFA?

Wouldn't that be a major pay cut?
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Would Bill Best leave FBS Nevada for FCS SFA?

Wouldn't that be a major pay cut?
Ehh Jay Norvell only made 625k base at Nevada as head coach. Bill Best made 150k. So it would be a pay cut, but not as huge of one as you'd expect.

But is Norvell not taking Best with him to Colorado State?
TallTexan
Buckytaylor said:

Power is gonna be a star. If someone had hired Carthel away, he'd have been my first choice.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

I agree, I was hoping everyone stayed for at least one more season for the 2022 run.

Me too, but having assistants get bigger jobs is a sign of a healthy program. We lost, I think, four assistants last year. All to bigger, better jobs. It's happened within the last year in VB, MBB, and WBB also.

The combination of winning programs, and low pay relative to market, means more changes will come.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.