#19 Sam Houston State

34,015 Views | 179 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheRevSFA
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (1-3; 1-2) vs. #16 Prison Tech (2-2; 2-1)

WHEN: OCT. 6 (SAT.) 1:00 P.M.
WHERE: Houston, Texas (NRG Stadium)
TV: ESPN3

It's the 93rd Battle of the Piney Woods and once upon a time it was a great rivalry, between the Lumberjacks of SFA and the orange of Sammy.

Dating back to the 1960's the teams split a decade with 5 wins each and proceeded to do it again and again in the following decades of the 70's and 80's.

1960's (TIE 5-5-0)

1960: 7-16 SHSU -9
1961: 16-41 SHSU -25
1962: 26-29 SHSU -3
1963: 14-13 SFA +1
1964: 8-21 SHSU -13
1965: 14-13 SFA +1
1966: 21-14 SFA +7
1967: 29-3 SFA +26
1968: 28-30 SHSU -2
1969: 38-28 SFA +10

1970's (TIE 5-5-1)

1970: 18-25 SHSU -7
1971: 10-6 SFA +4
1972: 19-31 SHSU -12
1973: 14-7 SFA +7
1974: 26-18 SFA +8
1975: 7-8 SHSU -1
1976: 14-14 TIE EVEN
1976: 7-8 SHSU -1
1977: 17-13 SFA +4
1978: 13-37 SHSU -23
1979: 42-20 SFA +22

1980's (TIE 5-5-0)

1980: 23-6 SFA +17
1981: 17-18 SHSU -1
1982: 40-6 SFA +34
1983: 27-10 SFA +17
1984: 7-20 SHSU -13
1985: 21-28 SHSU -7
1986: 26-30 SHSU -4
Division I-AA (FCS)
1987: 17-31 SHSU -14
1988: 17-10 SFA +7
1989: 45-7 SFA +38

And who can forget the decade of the 1990's when the Lumberjacks ruled the roost taking 6 out of 10 from the kats.

1990's (SFA 6-4-0)

1990: 3-23 SHSU -20
1991: 13-3 SFA +10
1992: 23-34 SHSU -11
1993: 24-20 SFA +3
1994: 42-6 SFA +36
1995: 38-22 SFA +16
1996: 10-14 SHSU -4
1997: 28-33 SHSU -5
1998: 38-7 SFA +31
1999: 45-31 SFA +14

Sadly though it has been all Sammy ever since (15-3-0)

2000's (SHSU 8-2-0)

2000: 41-52 SHSU -11
2001: 21-24 SHSU -3
2002: 7-10 SHSU -3
2003: 34-31 SFA +3
2004: 28-31 SHSU -3
2005: 24-52 SHSU -28
2006: 17-21 SHSU -4
2007: 17-45 SHSU -28
2008: 31-34 (OT) SHSU -3
2009: 42-3 SFA +39

2010's (SHSU 7-1-0)

2010: 31-28 SFA +3
2011: 10-45 SHSU -35
2012: 43-51 SHSU -8
2013: 49-56 SHSU -7
2014: 28-42 SHSU -14
2015: 28-34 SHSU -6
2016: 28-63 SHSU -35
2017: 16-27 SHSU -11
2018: ?

SHSU is coming off a great OT win over #12 UCA with freshman QB Ty Brock and a new found energy to a team that was down after back to back losses.

The SFA defense I believe is up to the challenge to break the streak, the question though is can the offense do just enough to get the job done and the Jacks over the hump?

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Good background. Thanks 93.
TallTexan
It's our year.
SFASawmillGuy
Our defense just stopped the most balanced offense in the SLC and essentially held them scoreless except for one huge run on the first drive.

Bring on Sam.
SFAXE93
5 scoreless quarters against the SFA defense.

UIW 1:10;2:21;3:0;4:0

ACU 1:0;2:7;3:7;4:7

MNS 1:14;2:0;3:3;4:0

TallTexan
If we can get an above average game from our offense, we can beat Sam.
BigJack85
Agreed!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
Sam's defense is not as good as McNeese. Not in the least bit. I think our offense with Foster Sawyer puts on a better showing, and if our defense stays consistent, we can take Sam.
That being said, rivalry game. Everyone knows how that goes.
TheRevSFA
Last time I missed BOTPW we won...

I'll be watching from aria in Vegas. Or maybe I won't. Just for luck
HitSomeBody
Hello

We were at the game and the 4th quarter was the best I've seen yet. The defense is playing outstanding. They are tackling, attacking, and getting turnovers. Everything you want your defense to do they are doing it.

The offense has to somehow turn the corner and play with the defense. Yes, it would have helped if we could catch the ball. But, relying on passing to move the ball is only going to let us down. Sure, we will get some 1st downs and a big catch here and there but being one dimensional is not going to do it.

At the game I paid attention to the OL. For the last five years that is all I really pay attention to is the OL. The OL actually provided decent pass rush blocking against a good defense. When is came to running the ball, I actually saw on multiple run plays the opening of a whole and yet our backs would not hit the whole. Instead they would run up to the back of OL blocking and then start sidestepping and then try to take it outside to the edge. This never worked because their defense was too fast. However, if they would have just ran forward they could have hit the whole for 5 yards at least.

So, my question is what is going on with our backs. They seem to be good backs yet they never attacked the whole even if it was there for 2 seconds. How do they fix this and just run forward. They don't need 20 yards per carry, they just need 4 to 5 a play which I believe they could have gotten but they kept trying to bounce around and go outside.

I also believe we could have made some positive things happen with some play option pass/run where the QB keeps it and hits the whole. I saw it 6 times where the QB could have made some great yards but Sawyer is not a mobile QB. The coaches should have mixed it up and put in a QB that could run.

All in all, great game. The band was there and where loud the whole game. Our section, was loud and pumped. It was good to be a part of it away from home.
Axe'Em Jacks
Ljacks&Longnecks
Thanks for that report Hit....good to get perspective from someone with ties to the team and in the stands.
Only got to hear the first half so missed the late scoring. Somewhat surprised to hear about all the dropped passes as I believe we have some talented receivers.
Completely agree that our RBs need to run north/south for positive yards and stop running up the linemens backs. Coach em up to run forward not in circles.
nacluth
Good stuff HSB! This weekend is the time for some north/south action.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Good stuff HSB! This weekend is the time for some north/south action.
They need to channel their inner Gus Johnson.
SFASawmillGuy
HitSomeBody said:

Hello

We were at the game and the 4th quarter was the best I've seen yet. The defense is playing outstanding. They are tackling, attacking, and getting turnovers. Everything you want your defense to do they are doing it.

The offense has to somehow turn the corner and play with the defense. Yes, it would have helped if we could catch the ball. But, relying on passing to move the ball is only going to let us down. Sure, we will get some 1st downs and a big catch here and there but being one dimensional is not going to do it.

At the game I paid attention to the OL. For the last five years that is all I really pay attention to is the OL. The OL actually provided decent pass rush blocking against a good defense. When is came to running the ball, I actually saw on multiple run plays the opening of a whole and yet our backs would not hit the whole. Instead they would run up to the back of OL blocking and then start sidestepping and then try to take it outside to the edge. This never worked because their defense was too fast. However, if they would have just ran forward they could have hit the whole for 5 yards at least.

So, my question is what is going on with our backs. They seem to be good backs yet they never attacked the whole even if it was there for 2 seconds. How do they fix this and just run forward. They don't need 20 yards per carry, they just need 4 to 5 a play which I believe they could have gotten but they kept trying to bounce around and go outside.

I also believe we could have made some positive things happen with some play option pass/run where the QB keeps it and hits the whole. I saw it 6 times where the QB could have made some great yards but Sawyer is not a mobile QB. The coaches should have mixed it up and put in a QB that could run.

All in all, great game. The band was there and where loud the whole game. Our section, was loud and pumped. It was good to be a part of it away from home.

Honestly, yes. We played great. McNeese validated itself for having an outstanding defense against us, and we nearly won. Let's beat Sam.
SFASawmillGuy
It's worth noting that SHSU knocked the UCA QB out for the season early in their game, so they did beat a wounded UCA in overtime. SHSU has been struggling all season both offensively and defensively. I think our defense will give their freshman QB fits, and I think Foster will find a way to lead our offense against their poor pass defense.
sfajack05
ESPN doesn't even have SFA listed for this game.

It is TBD vs Sam Houston.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/6/group/30

Good thing the school has that partnership with ESPN.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

ESPN doesn't even have SFA listed for this game.

It is TBD vs Sam Houston.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/6/group/30

Good thing the school has that partnership with ESPN.

Not sure what our contract looks like but we should look at all our options for broadcasting when it comes up. The ESPN+ stuff isn't cool.
MasterAxe
2003: The Ryan Rossner bomb.
HitSomeBody
I really hope we pull off an upset and win this game. I have way to many SHSU friends and I am about to go postal due to all the smack talking I get.
Axe'Em Jacks
SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

I really hope we pull off an upset and win this game. I have way to many SHSU friends and I am about to go postal due to all the smack talking I get.
Clearly you need new friends.
sfajack05
sfajack05
MasterAxe said:

2003: The Ryan Rossner bomb.

That was a great game.
SFASawmillGuy
It's Wednesday and SHSU still sucks.
KirkHeath12
Ready to see the Purple Lights podcast live. Hoping rain stays away
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFASawmillGuy
Ready to beat the hell out of Sam!
drhuggybear
It's not letting me show the image ... grrr
TallTexan
Have we beat Sam yet?

Longest week in history.
HitSomeBody
Well... I have been watching the practices this week on Hudl and I noticed my son has been with the 1s and 2s this week a lot. More than I have ever seen. So, I send a text and say, hey how's it going. I notice your with the 1s and 2s a lot this week. Just curious. His reply was, the starter hurt his shoulder at McNeese. He is trying to practice but having a hard time. The back-up may have the flu. Nothing official at all right now, but I may be playing in this game.

So, I am thinking out of all the games we want to win the most, he may have to play out of necessity. Lord, please help my son. All my SHSU friends will be there. Geez, I hope if he plays he does well. I made a bet before the season on a night after drinking too much that if my son plays we will win. I will leave out what happens if I loose. I made the bet based on him playing and thought it was safe because I did not think he would play. Oh the irony. Maybe my panic is for nothing.

GO JACKS WIN... FIGHT JACKS FIGHT... WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN PLEEEAAAASSSSEEE.
Axe'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
HitSomeBody said:

Well... I have been watching the practices this week on Hudl and I noticed my son has been with the 1s and 2s this week a lot. More than I have ever seen. So, I send a text and say, hey how's it going. I notice your with the 1s and 2s a lot this week. Just curious. His reply was, the starter hurt his shoulder at McNeese. He is trying to practice but having a hard time. The back-up may have the flu. Nothing official at all right now, but I may be playing in this game.

So, I am thinking out of all the games we want to win the most, he may have to play out of necessity. Lord, please help my son. All my SHSU friends will be there. Geez, I hope if he plays he does well. I made a bet before the season on a night after drinking too much that if my son plays we will win. I will leave out what happens if I loose. I made the bet based on him playing and thought it was safe because I did not think he would play. Oh the irony. Maybe my panic is for nothing.

GO JACKS WIN... FIGHT JACKS FIGHT... WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN PLEEEAAAASSSSEEE.
HItSomeBody you just had faith in your boy it wasn't the drinks talking for you... I wanna know what the bet was sir... Lets get em Jacks... I would like to see your son play anyway... I haven't been very impressed with the OL in the first place...
cboothe09
I have a t-shirt bet with a co-worker. Made it last year too. Loser has to wear opposing shirt for the remainder of their season.
SFAXE93
Every damn day?
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Too soon.
cboothe09
Fridays only. Might amend it to make it more interesting since I feel we have more of a punchers chance this year...
HitSomeBody
Might as well say it. Because IF we loose you all will see me around campus for sure. Looser has to dye a Mohawk in their hair of the winners color (Purple or Orange). So at the UCA game if you see some beer gut out of shape guy with an orange Mohawk. Yep, that will be me living in shame.

PLEASE WIN JACKS.

I will probably be the loudest most obnoxious person in the stands this game. Therefore, I offer my apologies to all who witness me. I have a lot riding on this one.
Axe'Em Jacks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.