Mississippi State

70,139 Views | 323 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA (0-0) vs. #18 MISSISSIPPI STATE (0-0)

WHERE: Starkville, MS. http://gameday.msstate.edu/webcam.php?
WHEN: SAT. SEPT. 1; 6:30 P.M.
TV: ESPNU

https://map.msstate.edu/map/?id=233#

The Bulldogs return 49 upper class men off of a 9-4 season, capped with a 31-27 victory over Louisville in the Taxslayer Bowl.

Offense returns 9 starters
Defense returns 8 starters

I hope after this game we return all of our starters

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFASawmillGuy
I know it's Miss St. but GO JACKS!!! BEAT MISS ST!!!
nacluth
Man 93, it's good to see one of your game threads again!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

I hope after this game we return all of our starters

Is it possible to laugh and cry at the same time?
TallTexan
What is this, a game thread? I'm not even sure what to do with this thing. I feel like it's from a past life, it's been so long.
nacluth
Be careful or you'll put your eye out.
PurpleOut
Staff
Going to be tough. I normally just want to see us look decent and not lose by 7 TDs.

Don't forget, there are a lot of watch parties happening around the state: https://www.facebook.com/events/1856654434399908/
nacluth
Line isn't set yet, but does any one think this game is closer than 30 points?
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

Line isn't set yet, but does any one think this game is closer than 30 points?

I say 35pts
Ljacks&Longnecks
Based on FBS games vs Tech twice, Baylor, A&M...I look for 63-10 type final. That is no reflection on my hopes for this team this year just a realistic expectation based on previous results. Did I mention how much I hate "money" games. I hope that Ivey will schedule more realistic FBS opponents in the future.
Speaking of $$, does anyone know how much we are getting paid by MSU?
Jacks4460
I would think a Million..
nacluth
Nicholls got $525K last year for Texas A&M. Mississippi paid out $425K for their FCS team.
Miss St played at La Tech and avoided the week 1 pay game last year.

My guess is less than half a mil. I guess it depends if ESPNU kicks more money in, but I doubt it.
SFASawmillGuy
nacluth said:

Nicholls got $525K last year for Texas A&M. Mississippi paid out $425K for their FCS team.

My guess is less than half a mil. I guess it depends if ESPNU kicks more money in, but I doubt it.

That's a lot of money to be upset on National tv.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

Oh, heck yeah! Remember Appalachian State over Michigan?
BigJack85
It seems to be common that the payout would be between $375,000 - $650,000
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

nacluth said:

I feel like there should be some win bonus for these types of games.
HitSomeBody
HitSomeBody
Game day in 5 days...

My wife and I will be at the game to support our Jacks. We will be yelling for our boys no matter the score til the clock tics 0:00. Plus, most of my family is from Miss. They all went to Ole Miss so they are coming to game just to be obnoxious to their there State rivals. So, if we have any decent plays on defense or offense they won't miss the opportunity.

Anyway, I consider returning home with no injuries a success so we can focus on games that really mean something to our boys. I keep wondering what the MS coach will decide. He has a pre-rank of 18, he has lots of returners, he is new and last season ended with bowl game. Therefore, what do y'all think he will do?

1. play his starters and shoot for the 70s to prove a point that they achieved what's expected and added some more just to show his conference they are good.

2. play his starters and once up by 3 scores let the rest play and end up with 48 or more to keep the already expected win respectable?

3. complete shock to see more points on the board for the visiting team, thinks he is having a nightmare, starts to have a heart attack and plays his starters to the last second in hopes of not loosing when clock tics 0.

Ax'em
Jacks4460
#2...
nacluth
The last couple of years all skill positions played first half with the rest of the starters playing three quarters. It's ended up near 70 every time. Definitely a success if we come back healthy. Double success if their score stays below 50 or ours goes above 24. Triple success if there is a meaningful game at halftime.

If we win I'm chipping in for the statue at Jeff Byrd Corner to be set up in the NE corner of Homer Bryce.
TallTexan
Wow.

SFA Jack Fanatic
HitSomeBody said:

Therefore, what do y'all think he will do?

1. play his starters and shoot for the 70s to prove a point that they achieved what's expected and added some more just to show his conference they are good.

2. play his starters and once up by 3 scores let the rest play and end up with 48 or more to keep the already expected win respectable?

3. complete shock to see more points on the board for the visiting team, thinks he is having a nightmare, starts to have a heart attack and plays his starters to the last second in hopes of not loosing when clock tics 0.

Ax'em

Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Wow.

This is good now my prediction on Miss St -35 might be pretty close..
SFASawmillGuy
Let's shock the world!!!!

Anyone going to the Houston watch party at Lucky's Pub?
SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
Important PSA.
It has come to my attention Lucky's Pub, which will be hosting the SFA-Mississippi State watch party has a SHSU flag but not an SFA flag. I cannot stand for this injustice and request someone to assist me in rectifying this wrong-doing before Saturday.

Back to football.
SFAXE93
So now we face QB: Keytaon Thompson 6-4; 225 (So.) **** #5 Dual QB; #7 QB State who guided them to victory in the Taxslayer Bowl.

BigJack85
Where is Luckys pub? If your attending we need to send one.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

So now we face QB: Keytaon Thompson 6-4; 225 (So.) **** #5 Dual QB; #7 QB State who guided them to victory in the Taxslayer Bowl.

Probably not a huge issue for them. They've known he was starting since March. But I wonder if he was running with the ones.
HitSomeBody
I do not think starting Thompson will be an issue with Miss State. One article I read said he started taking snaps with the ones last Friday and up until then he was always with the two's. Who knows, I don't think the coach just came with this on Monday. They have known all along and have planned for it.

Now that the suspension is out Byrd should use it to mentally get our boys up for the game. They like all of us know its a money game but they don't want to be embarrassed.
TallTexan
From a talent perspective, I think our biggest challenge will be in the trenches. Those are going to be some studs that they send out with their 1st string.

But I am excited to see the results when we give Foster enough time to throw. Our WRs should match up well, they're big enough to not get pushed around by SEC DBs.

Likely a buy game blowout, but we'll get to see how willing the guys are to compete.
nacluth
Oregon State is a 37 point dog to #5 Ohio St. I don't see us at #18 Miss St getting a better line than that. That does make for an intriguing bet. Not that I would wager...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Oregon State is a 37 point dog to #5 Ohio St. I don't see us at #18 Miss St getting a better line than that. That does make for an intriguing bet. Not that I would wager...
The only line I see is Miss State by 47, but most haven't even posted one.
HitSomeBody
I found the Miss State depth chart for game one released. Here is the link in case anyone is interested.
MissSt vs SFA depth chart
Since I am a new Lumberjack do we have an official game day depth chart. I see the roster but can we find who will be playing on game day anywhere?
PurpleOut
Staff
HitSomeBody said:

I found the Miss State depth chart for game one released. Here is the link in case anyone is interested.
MissSt vs SFA depth chart
Since I am a new Lumberjack do we have an official game day depth chart. I see the roster but can we find who will be playing on game day anywhere?
Not that I've ever seen (or remember).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.