Mississippi State

70,878 Views | 323 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes they do post it on the game notes every Wed.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/2017/6/7/2016-sfa-football-game-notes.aspx
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
I wonder how short of a leash Sawyer will have?

Remember he got killed at SMU on two straight plays against an average SMU defensive front.

I think we see a lot of Blumrick and Covey in this one.
nacluth
He had a real short leash in the SMU game. I doubt it will be much longer this game. I'm referring specifically to contact. If he's getting hit hard, he's got to be out. But, if he's making any kind of game out of it, then he'll be around for as long as he's not in danger. *fingers crossed*
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

Nice, good find. I've never seen that, or actually seen it posted anywhere.
BigJack85
Two deep is usually in the game Day notes "PDF". Out on Thursday... typically.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Reading through the MSU Game Notes, particularly the part about their defensive line, already has me reaching for the Tums antacid. Can't imagine what I'll need by about 9:00 Saturday night. I hope our offensive line is up to the challenge and (especially) no one gets hurt.
SFASawmillGuy
Not sure if anyone else noticed in the presser earlier this week but Foster was officially named the starter for Saturday. No surprise. Just hope he stays healthy.
SFASawmillGuy
http://www.espn.com/college-football/preview?gameId=401012254

Espn showing a little bit of respect for us in this preview. I like he way Byrd is presenting this team.
nacluth
They figured out Alize Ward is our best player, so at least they watched some tape. Moorehead didn't seem particularly concerned though.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe
First game goals:

(Unrealistic) Win. Look, 99% not gonna happen and that's OK. But, you never know.

(Realistic) - Compete. It's OK to lose and compete hard. The last few times out we have (seemingly) just cashed it in once we got down big, at least against FBS squads.

(Realistic) - Injuries. The first two games are begging for us to get someone hurt. FBS and D2 do that to you. It's the grind of the game. If we come out of this game and the next one relatively (QB) unhurt, I will be thrilled.

(Realistic) - Innovation. This slightly ties into compete. Are we going to do anything different? Or, is it the same crap plays over and over and the same slag defense we've recently endured? Do we have some creativity? Doesn't have to work, but let's see us give it a go.

Prediction (I assume we're doing that?)

MSST - 56
SFA - 21

TallTexan
Ooh, I'm all in on predictions. I'll call my shot, deep left center, mostly because I want to see Nacluth's sculpture of Byrd carved out of rosewood frets.

Cowbells - 27
SFA - 28

We've got FBS talent at QB, RB, & WR, and a handful of other positions & some talented dudes. Let's go!
SFAXE93
2 deep is out.

https://sfajacks.com/documents/2018/8/28//2018_SFA_Football_Game_Notes_Week_1_at_Mississippi_St_.pdf?id=3282
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

2 deep is out.

https://sfajacks.com/documents/2018/8/28//2018_SFA_Football_Game_Notes_Week_1_at_Mississippi_St_.pdf?id=3282
Thanks for sharing. That's got a ton of info.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Ooh, I'm all in on predictions. I'll call my shot, deep left center, mostly because I want to see Nacluth's sculpture of Byrd carved out of rosewood frets.

Cowbells - 27
SFA - 28

We've got FBS talent at QB, RB, & WR, and a handful of other positions & some talented dudes. Let's go!

"Mississippi State lines up for what will be the game winner from 30 yards out. They've already had one blocked tonight. 3 seconds left. The snap, the hold, and....SFA BLOCKS IT!!!! SFA HAS SHOCKED THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD!!! ALIZE WARD COMING OFF THE EDGE AND GETS HIS SECOND BLOCKED KICK OF THE NIGHT!!! COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!"

You heard it here first. And how about Foster Sawyer's 3 touchdowns.
TallTexan
Good article on Tamrick Pace, pride of Brownsboro Texas.

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/college/pace-in-place-for-big-season-brownsboro-s-tamrick-pace/article_1c0bf122-aa49-11e8-b1c0-2bd457d60742.html
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

Cowbells - 27
SFA - 28

"Mississippi State lines up for what will be the game winner from 30 yards out. They've already had one blocked tonight. 3 seconds left. The snap, the hold, and....SFA BLOCKS IT!!!! SFA HAS SHOCKED THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL WORLD!!! ALIZE WARD COMING OFF THE EDGE AND GETS HIS SECOND BLOCKED KICK OF THE NIGHT!!! COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!"

You heard it here first. And how about Foster Sawyer's 3 touchdowns.
I frigging love this...You gotta believe... If you think you are gonna get beat then you are already beat... Our dudes have a great attitude...They are going into this game knowing it is going to be a dog fight but with a few breaks here and there they could pull out a W..
TallTexan
Those soccer & basketball losses aren't going to avenge themselves.
drhuggybear
I'm not even going to venture a guess as to the score. I just want the guys to play hard and come out injury free.

Seeing SFA upset Miss St would be amazing. We are camping this weekend but will be streaming the game. I can imagine that if the Jacks pull off the upset we will get visited by the park ranger for noise
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

2 deep is out.

Unless I'm miss-interpreting the projected two-deep roster, Jae'lon Oglesby is not listed as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team RB. Isn't he supposed to be the second coming of Gayle Sayers or something? Not listed as a return man either, at which he excelled at Memphis, I believe.
TallTexan
edstile said:

SFAXE93 said:

2 deep is out.

Unless I'm miss-interpreting the projected two-deep roster, Jae'lon Oglesby is not listed as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team RB. Isn't he supposed to be the second coming of Gayle Sayers or something?

Shhh, do you want Mississippi State to find out?

Official code name is Manhattan Project.
HitSomeBody
I love all this. I believe we win. Don't know how and don't care. We win and come back home a new team.

I was going to be at the game because my son got his play slip but then yesterday got a dag gum concussion in practice. Talked to coaches and he will be ok just out for a bit.

My point is in talking to coach he was pumped up about this weekend and is loving the fact we are going there to play. He told me he is preaching to the boys to be tough and have some fun at a place where they will get the full college crowd experience. He was truly like a kid before Christmas. He wants them to play smart, be tough, and make a moment in their lives a glorious memory.

Ax'em
SFASawmillGuy
Official watch party information!

Austin-
Haymaker
2310 Manor Rd
Austin, TX 78722
512-243-6702
Host: Daniel Wilson '13

Beaumont-
Madison's on Dowlen
4020 Dowlen Rd.
Beaumont, TX 77706
409-924-9777

Clear Lake/Bay Area-
Crescent City Connections Sports & Oyster Bar
16605 El Camino Real
Houston, TX 77062
281-954-6810

College Station/Bryan-
Buffalo Wild Wings
903 University Dr. E.
College Station, TX 77840
979-691-8453

Conroe-
Pacific Yard House
101 Metcalf St.
Conroe, TX 77301
936-703-5447
Host: Brian Dawson '03

Dallas-
Community Beer Company
1530 Inspiration Drive
Dallas, TX 75207
214-751-7921
Host: Ron Hunt '91 & '94

Twisted Root-SMU
5609 SMU Blvd, suite 102
Dallas, TX 75206
214-361-2910
Host: Reuben Brown '07

Denton-
Buffalo Wild Wings
1400 Loop 288, suite 111 Denton Crossing
Denton, TX 76205
940-387-0924

DFW-
3RD Street Bar & Grill
425 West 3rd St.
Fort Worth, TX 76102
817-882-0514

Houston-
Lucky's Pub, Sports bar & grill
801 St. Emanuel
Houston, TX 77003
713-522-2010
Host: Larry Brooks '01

Katy-
Lucky's Pub West
17754 Katy Freeway
Houston, TX 77094
281-206-7369

Kingwood/Humble-
Brick House Tavern & Tap
140 FM 1960 Bypass
Humble, TX 77338
281-319-4410

Longview-
GZ Asian Bistro & Sushi Bar
2002 Judson Rd Ste 103
Longview TX 75605
903-247-8000
Host: SFA East Texas Alumni Network

Lindale-
Love & War in Texas
114 E. North St.
Lindale, TX 75771
430-235-2100

Lufkin-
Buffalo Wild Wings
105 Miles Way, suite 100
Lufkin, TX 75901
936-639-3700

Nacogdoches-
Nine Flags Bar
200 N. Fredonia St.
Nacogdoches, TX 75961
936-564-1234
Host: Alex Ranc '11 & '13

McKinney-
Fuzzy's Taco Shop
3190 S. Central Expressway, suite 570
McKinney, TX 75070
469-952-2252
Host: Matt Adkins '06

Plano-
Fuzzy's Taco Shop
2205 N. Central Expressway, suite 130
Plano, TX 75075
972-312-8226
Host: Catharine Knight '92

San Antonio-
Buffalo Wild Wings
5411 TX-1604 Loop
San Antonio, TX 78253
210-520-4127

Waco-
Salty Dog Sports Bar & Grill
2004 N. Valley Mills Dr.
Waco, TX 76710
SFAXE93
Hope your son gets well soon, we need him on the line.

I love having players who want to be at SFA and have pride being a Lumberjack, and will be a Lumberjack for life.
SFAXE93
Jacks4460
edstile said:

SFAXE93 said:

2 deep is out.

Unless I'm miss-interpreting the projected two-deep roster, Jae'lon Oglesby is not listed as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team RB. Isn't he supposed to be the second coming of Gayle Sayers or something? Not listed as a return man either, at which he excelled at Memphis, I believe.
Yes what is wrong with Oglesby?? He played that last scrimmage.. You think he is like a secret weapon?
TallTexan
HitSomeBody said:

I was going to be at the game because my son got his play slip but then yesterday got a dag gum concussion in practice. Talked to coaches and he will be ok just out for a bit.
Wasn't yesterday walk-through day? They must have skipped walkthrough and kept it at 110%.

Hope he heals quickly, concussions are no joke.

I'm probably more pumped for this game then one typically should be for a buy game.
HitSomeBody
Last night I enjoyed the Texas past-time religion of High School Football to watch my younger son play. Here's the thing... they got smacked 44 to 6 by a lessor division team with far less talent. I reflected and my son's team in this situation was like Miss State. Bigger, stronger, faster, and on paper ABSOLUTELY NO WAY they should loose. Yet they lost and lost big. The other team had slower, smaller, tripping on their own feet kids playing.

What made them win... the chip on their shoulder and the heart to play every down even when there was only seconds left. The other team went 200% and my son's team just did not care. They banked on the expectation they would win so why work hard for it. It was sad to watch (eight turnovers). I only hope that tomorrow night as SFA plays I get to be on the rooting side of the lesser team (on-paper) as they win.

Ax'em
Jacks4460
Tell em HitSomeBody...I want our boys to compete which with Coach Byrd the will for him... Do your job and play your ass off for your teammates and try to make some plays.. I will root for our guys until the very end.. Now if I see they are giving up, body language is horrible, and too many people getting "hurt" when they can play with a little pain then I will not root aloud for them but I put that on the coaches for losing them.. Which I know right now the coaches have pretty good control on the team...
TallTexan
Saw A&M got dinged for two targeting penalties last night in the first half. Hope that we don't see that from either team tomorrow. We need everyone possible to stay healthy.
SFASawmillGuy
It's GAME DAY!!!
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

It's GAME DAY!!!

Let's go smash some cowbells.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Axe 'Em Jacks! Beat MSU.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Don't hate me for what I'm about to post, OK?

If we stay within four TD's of them and sustain no major injuries, I'd see that as a moral victory. I normally am not big on "moral victories", but I'll accept one this time with those criteria. The Cowbells are a top 20 FBS team with a ton of starters returning from a Bowl-winner, especially on the defensive side. SFA, I think, will be pretty good the rest of the way once we get past this money game. (I absolutely hate money games, but they are what they are.)

Just tossing in a bucket of reality here...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.