Story Poster
Photo by The Daily Sentinel
Stephen F. Austin Football

SFA's Clint Conque resigns, Jeff Byrd tapped for 2018 season

August 6, 2018

Stephen F. Austin football will have a new head coach for the 2018 season after a long summer of uncertainty.

Clint Conque announced his resignation on Monday in a statement published by the university athletic department, amid an investigation into a violation of policy.

"It has been a privilege to serve the university and to work with many outstanding players and coaches – past and present," Conque said in the statement. "I am proud of the foundation that is in place both on and off the field. I have arrived at this decision on my own and look to move forward in my career."

Conque, the fifth-winningest coach in Southland Conference history, had been suspended since June 18th when SFA announced an investigation into the man who has led the program since 2014. Despite leading the Lumberjacks to the playoffs in his debut season, Conque will end his run in Nacogdoches with an overall record of 21-25, including 17-18 in Southland Conference play. 

Defensive coordinator Jeff Byrd, who Conque lured to Nacogdoches from UT-Martin before last season, assumed head coaching responsibilities during his boss' suspension and will remain at the wheel through the 2018 season, according to the university release.

The details surrounding Conque's suspension have not been made public nor has a credible source been able to shed light on the circumstances of his departure. Still, Conque has removed himself from the equation just three days into the Lumberjacks' fall camp and Byrd, who was widely expected to lead the team through the season, will get an 11 game audition to keep the job beyond 2018.

"We will re-evaluate the leadership structure of our team at the conclusion of the year," athletic director Ryan Ivey said in SFA's release on Monday.

The Lumberjacks will look to rebound from three-straight losing seasons—the only such run in Conque's career—in a league where they were picked to finish fifth in the preseason.

If they do, it will be to the credit of Byrd, who we sat down with last summer shortly after he arrived in Nacogdoches. To listen to that full interview, click here.

SFA's Clint Conque resigns, Jeff Byrd tapped for 2018 season

9,908 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nacluth
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like what I hear from Byrd. I hope he lives up to the impression he's made on the numerous people that have commented positively on this board. Anything above 7 wins would be a pleasant surprise. Add a victory of the Bearkats and I'm sold.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get it Byrd.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.