GO ASTROS!

12,703 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJack85
Txjack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sorry guys, nothing relevant to add here; just felt the need to shout out...from a long suffering Astros fan.
I predict Bregman has a big series....love watching this kid play.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm blah on Houston sports as a whole, but it's great for them. More so for my lifelong Astros fans (although there appear to be a ton of "new" Stros fans on my social media pages).
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I'm blah on Houston sports as a whole, but it's great for them. More so for my lifelong Astros fans (although there appear to be a ton of "new" Stros fans on my social media pages).
I was thinking the same thing. Especially my Rangers fan friends who are now pulling for the Astros.

sfaguy
I'm in no way afraid to say GO DODGERS
SFA Jack Fanatic
s***uy said:

I'm in no way afraid to say GO DODGERS
Bite your tongue!
cboothe09
I've seen a lot of friends that were "Die hard" Astro fans, that quickly pledged their allegiance to the Arlington Rangers when they had their run, that have all of a sudden found some brick red or blue and gold Astros gear in the back of their closet....

Been an Astros fan as long as I can remember. Go Astros!
nacluth
Longtime die hard Rangers fan here. I'm never a regular season Astros fan, but I have a longstanding tradition that if all my teams are out, I will root for other Texas teams. So I hope the Astros do the state proud.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Been an Astros fan as long as I can remember. Go Astros!
Me, too. My Dad took me as a little kid to the 2nd game ever played by the old Colt 45's in Colt Stadium against the Cubs, before the Astrodome was built. (I wear a Colts jersey even now to Astros games.) Been a Colts/Astros fan ever since, even in the 100-loss seasons. Go, 'Stros!
PurpleOut
Staff
The only thing I don't really care for is their #EarnHistory hashtag. I just don't like it.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Longtime die hard Rangers fan here. I'm never a regular season Astros fan, but I have a longstanding tradition that if all my teams are out, I will root for other Texas teams. So I hope the Astros do the state proud.
I was willing to make this exception until the Astros fans made this a Whataburger vs In N Out contest. But maybe that's because I've never been a Whataburger fan.

And when it comes to Texas based fast food chains, PTerry's is where it's at.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I was willing to make this exception until the Astros fans made this a Whataburger vs In N Out contest.

Huh?????? Where did you get that idea????? I follow all things Astros, and this is the first I have ever heard of that 'baseball-to-burger connection'.

(Think I'll go grab a Whataburger before that game starts. Thanks for the subliminal message, Texan.)
cboothe09
It was #EarnIt until the playoffs, then they switched to #EarnHistory. Everything they are doing now is historical for the franchise. Not a huge fan, but I get it...
cboothe09
Ive seen some people making the debate on Facebook. Not much of an In-and-Out fan. Hate the sauce. The burger itself is good...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Ive seen some people making the debate on Facebook. Not much of an In-and-Out fan. Hate the sauce. The burger itself is good...
I'm a plain burger with cheese kind of guy. So it works for me. And it's so cheap.
nacluth
Come on. In n Out is no competition for a Whataburger. As someone who runs a yearly burger competition I speak with authority.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Long. Long Long time Astros fan. I was an " Astro Buddy" in 1968. Glad to see this!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Solid game 1 in the 6th. Both these pitchers may have complete games.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
Okay, I'm gonna just say it. The emperor isn't wearing any clothes and Whataburger is unbelievably overrated.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Okay, I'm gonna just say it. The emperor isn't wearing any clothes and Whataburger is unbelievably overrated.
IMO, tonight's game will either make or break the Astros, with Verlander on the hill.

And I can't believe that we're debating hamburgers here, but what the heck? There are some better small town burger joints, and maybe a smaller burger franchise or two around the country (Hamburger Depot in the Beaumont area), but for the number of Whataburger stores in Texas and across the South, with all of them making consistently great tasting good burgers, Whataburger is #1 in my book.

Isaac, stick to sports writing and reporting, things that you're very good at. But your palate is obviously grossly out of whack.
cboothe09
I was convinced we were going to see Darvish. I actually feel pretty good about seeing Rich Hill, but we have to win this one. I don't like the idea of going back to LA for a game 6 or 7.

I like Whataburger, and it is a solid go-to, but it's hard to top Texas Burger in my book...
Txjack
Hated the outcome, but enjoyed seeing two studs go at it in Keuchel/Kershaw. Feeling pretty good about tonight...

I was going to mention Texas Burger....so many good burger options in and around the Houston area; a fav. of mine is Bellaire Broiler Burger--has NOT changed since the 70's. For a mass produced burger place...my go to is Whataburger or Sonic.
nacluth
The Verlander pick up late this season will probably end up being great money spent after they get this ring. They can either keep him to string a couple years more together or sell him off to the highest bidder. Being a Rangers fan, I love Yu, but he's going to have a tough time with the Astros- like he did earlier this year. If the Astros split tonight, I think they have the advantage going home.

TX Burger is good, but waiting 15 minutes for your burger is not fast food. Butcher Boys was recently picked as top in the state, and I have no qualms with that. Hopdoddy's are also good. Fast foodwise, if you order the #1 combo give me the burger from Corpus
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
Love Butcher Boys...

A lot of good places in Houston to get a good burger. I like Pappas Burgers on Westheimer. There are some good places in the Kingwood area too that I like.
PurpleOut
Staff
Started a separate burger thread: https://sfasawmill.com/forums/5/topics/515
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

The Verlander pick up late this season will probably end up being great money spent after they get this ring. They can either keep him to string a couple years more together or sell him off to the highest bidder.

Verlander's not going anywhere else after this year, with two more years on his contract. Why would he? He's pitching as well as he ever has. And the Astros would get crucified by their fans if they even tried to move him. They (we) all love him.
nacluth
Well if he goes 11-0 on his way to a championship, I agree with you. I'm talking about next year. If after a rough April and May, the team needs cash or multiple players, he's a big bargaining chip. Astros management has shown the willingness to unload high value players for future benefit. But either way Astros are set for next year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Well if he goes 11-0 on his way to a championship, I agree with you. I'm talking about next year. If after a rough April and May, the team needs cash or multiple players, he's a big bargaining chip. Astros management has shown the willingness to unload high value players for future benefit. But either way Astros are set for next year.
Verlander would have to approve any trade. There is a 0% chance that he would ever do that again after only being with the Astros two months.
nacluth
I'll have to say that at least in the first two games, these teams look World Series caliber. These may be the two crispest back to back games I've seen.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
INiedrauer
Staff
I don't have a rooting interest but #1 being from California and #2 being a Rangers fan, I find myself pulling a little bit for the Dodgers. I will admit that game two was among the greatest baseball games I have ever witnessed. Absolutely incredible.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

drhuggybear
INiedrauer said:

I don't have a rooting interest but #1 being from a California and #2 being a Rangers fan, I find myself pulling a little bit for the Dodgers. I will admit that game two was among the greatest baseball games I have ever witnessed. Absolutely incredible.
Very much agree. I would say best non-clinching game ever. It was so emotional as a fan with the ups and downs. I can't even imagine it as a player. It took a while to go to sleep after that.
PurpleOut
Staff
So, there was an mistake on StubHub for one of the games in LA and a fan got a ticket for $9. They honored the price, but gave him a different seat. Something similar just happened in Houston, my friend just got two tickets for $141 total. Someone apparently mislabeled 30 tickets at $57/each.
cboothe09
PurpleOut said:

So, there was an mistake on StubHub for one of the games in LA and a fan got a ticket for $9. They honored the price, but gave him a different seat. Something similar just happened in Houston, my friend just got two tickets for $141 total. Someone apparently mislabeled 30 tickets at $57/each.
Gawd I wish I was that lucky. Everytime I have opened to look, it was a minimum $650 for Standing Room Only...
nacluth
Nice game 'Stro's! 2-1
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
two more wins!

Funny thing about tickets. Our nanny won tickets from the Astros on Twitter today. Told her to give the tickets to me or she's fired...i need a new sitter... jk jk
Txjack
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious for many here, but I have NEVER seen a baseball game like that (game 5). This did not compare to the level of angst and elation I felt from what was previously the greatest Astro game; the 18 inning NLDS game won by Chris Burke's homer in '05.
This was definitely one of the greatest games ever.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.