2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball

7,683 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah I would like it for them. (Alabama was firing on all cylinders in that first game though.) But I would like it for us and for the WAC.

The ESPN write up of the win today was like "they didn't look like the underdogs. They controlled the game from start to finish. And they are a good team but since they didn't face any good teams in the WAC, there was no way to know how good they were."

One, ask Grand Canyon if they think their league was a cakewalk. Two, I guess you could say the same as the WCC. Saint Mary's just rolled through conference and dispatched Gonzaga with ease, so they didn't really play anyone tough. Turns out the WAC champ handled the WCC champ.
No-look
I stayed up and watched it. They have a chance against Bama. Small chance but it's March
SFA Jack Fanatic
Confession Time...

I admit it. I'm jealous. Jealous of GCU. Not jealous of their MBB team, but jealous of their situation. SFA has shown that we can match their team(s) when we have the right mix of players, but we can't match their school in other ways. A mid-major situated in a huge city, with a huge enrollment and alumni, with an athletic budget that we can only dream about, with first class facilities in every sport.

But I guess the man thing I'm jealous about is their fan base, especially their students. They love their teams, especially MBB. I think the TV announcers last night said that GCU had 2,000 in attendance, and the vast majority of those were students! They traveled 1,400 miles. We can't even get 200 students to put down their cell phones and walk across campus to our MBB games, and fewer than that to WBB games and other athletic events. The excitement that their students showed last night was amazing.

So, yeah. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm jealous. So how can we ever fix this, or can we? Is this a situation that we'll always just have to live with? (And going back to the d*** Southland is not an option.)
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Confession Time...

I admit it. I'm jealous. Jealous of GCU. Not jealous of their MBB team, but jealous of their situation. SFA has shown that we can match their team(s) when we have the right mix of players, but we can't match their school in other ways. A mid-major situated in a huge city, with a huge enrollment and alumni, with an athletic budget that we can only dream about, with first class facilities in every sport.

But I guess the man thing I'm jealous about is their fan base, especially their students. They love their teams, especially MBB. I think the TV announcers last night said that GCU had 2,000 in attendance, and the vast majority of those were students! They traveled 1,400 miles. We can't even get 200 students to put down their cell phones and walk across campus to our MBB games, and fewer than that to WBB games and other athletic events. The excitement that their students showed last night was amazing.

So, yeah. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm jealous. So how can we ever fix this, or can we? Is this a situation that we'll always just have to live with? (And going back to the d*** Southland is not an option.)
We had a packed arena about eight years ago. Figure out what made that happen and do it again?
nacluth
Well Phoenix and Nacogdoches do have a lot in common. About as much as a still-for-profit private school and a state school in the bottom 10 of all counties in the US for wages.
nacluth
Would you like your college to fly you to the NCAA tournament for the weekend?

https://www.khq.com/news/grand-canyon-university-flies-hundreds-of-students-to-ncaa-tournament-in-spokane/article_72d21236-e8b7-11ee-9958-434ed846cbdd.html
jboy93
No-look said:

I stayed up and watched it. They have a chance against Bama. Small chance but it's March
I want them to win but not for my bracket. I had them winning the first game but loosing again Alabama.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Would you like your college to fly you to the NCAA tournament for the weekend?

https://www.khq.com/news/grand-canyon-university-flies-hundreds-of-students-to-ncaa-tournament-in-spokane/article_72d21236-e8b7-11ee-9958-434ed846cbdd.html

Must be nice. That accounts for 200 of them.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Well Phoenix and Nacogdoches do have a lot in common. About as much as a still-for-profit private school and a state school in the bottom 10 of all counties in the US for wages.

I'm detecting just a hint of sarcasm....
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Confession Time...

We had a packed arena about eight years ago. Figure out what made that happen and do it again?

As I recall, every school within 40 miles brought their kiddos for free admission. A nationally televised early morning game vs. Northern Iowa. I was there, and it was loud.
nacluth
I'm guessing GCU probably dropped a cool million on just getting fans to that one game. I bet they spend that much to draw fans to home games during the season. They live in another fan universe.

I think you're right that SFA can do better. There were several games in Underwood's time that exceeded the 7200 "sellout" margin. I was at all of them. None had more sheer energy than Parker's jam against NWST. Magical.
Jacks1962
I know Covid happened and Cell Phones are now available but the student attendance is terrible. If you look at the Hall of Fame photos on the wall at the Sawmill you can see more students in the background of the Marshall Brown photo than are at the Coliseum at any game. And the Ladies games are worse. If you look at the fans, well over 1/2 of us will be gone in 5-10 years. So a Large Crowd in 5 years might be 100.

You can check the attached and GCU averages 7,000 per game but if you look at the opponent's average it is 2,000. So SFA is not unique.

https://gculopes.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats
SFA Jack Fanatic
I was at the Parker jam game vs. NSU. My wife, a Sam Houston grad who couldn't care less about SFA, was with me, and even she came out of her seat on that drive and dunk. It was an electric moment.
Pilotgirl
I don't plan on kicking the bucket in 10 years time!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

TallTexan would know better than I, but because of these consistent wins, I think SFA has been getting NCAA revenue share from these wins for the last decade right?

Yep. Units in the men's game typically pay out for the next 6 years. 1 unit per win.

Goes to the conference, but they're worth about 200k per year iirc.

So GCU just got each school an extra 20k for the next 6 years.

Also I can't stand GCU in general and I know their success is largely attributable to the fact that they have a giant for profit attached at the hip to the uni.

But the ONLY selling point for the WAC now is a strong basketball league. The more any of our teams win in March, the more the gap between the WAC and the Southland matters.

Being 15 spots better as a conference should matter. But winning as the 12 seed is the only way to prove it and make people notice.
TallTexan
Jacks1962 said:

I know Covid happened and Cell Phones are now available but the student attendance is terrible. If you look at the Hall of Fame photos on the wall at the Sawmill you can see more students in the background of the Marshall Brown photo than are at the Coliseum at any game. And the Ladies games are worse. If you look at the fans, well over 1/2 of us will be gone in 5-10 years. So a Large Crowd in 5 years might be 100.

You can check the attached and GCU averages 7,000 per game but if you look at the opponent's average it is 2,000. So SFA is not unique.

Barring East Texas having another oil heyday, I doubt we're gonna see the kind of population growth necessary to pull off a 7k nightly environment.

But if we get our next AD and next president on the same page and get the whole university rowing in the same direction, we can get back to the Underwood year standards.

SFA can tackle a lot of its current issues if everyone is aligned and working in the (mostly) same direction.
No-look
TallTexan said:

Jacks1962 said:

Barring East Texas having another oil heyday, I doubt we're gonna see the kind of population growth necessary to pull off a 7k nightly environment.

But if we get our next AD and next president on the same page and get the whole university rowing in the same direction, we can get back to the Underwood year standards.

SFA can tackle a lot of its current issues if everyone is aligned and working in the (mostly) same direction.
winning will take care of a lot of that. Home loses were very rare not so long ago.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Jacks1962 said:

Nailed it.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Me neither.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Me neither.
usually that's the kind of stuff that catches you by surprise lol
nacluth
Underwood made it the trifecta for past SFA coaches today. Congratulations to him for making his first Sweet 16.
nacluth
Good game going on right now where GCU has dictated pace of play all game.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Good game going on right now where GCU has dictated pace of play all game.

GCU is all that and a bag of chips. And we almost beat them at home. Or at least we kept it within 4 points 90% of the game.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Adios, GCU.

I have to say, GCU was for real. Lots of athleticism. A level of athleticism that I never saw from our Lumberjacks.

Bama had a 10-0 run to end the game. GCU actually could have won this thing. Don't be fooled by the final score. This was a "let 'em play" game by the refs. There could have been 70 fouls called if they all had been.

What does GCU have coming back next year?

Charles Barkley said "I don't think they (GCU) ran a play the entire second half." He's right! It was pure helter-skelter playground basketball.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Adios, GCU.

I have to say, GCU was for real. Lots of athleticism. A level of athleticism that I never saw from our Lumberjacks.

Bama had a 10-0 run to end the game. GCU actually could have won this thing. Don't be fooled by the final score. This was a "let 'em play" game by the refs. There could have been 70 fouls called if they all had been.

What does GCU have coming back next year?
. Foster and MCGothlan are gone. Blackshear is graduating also I think. They will lose a lot. Some may hit the portal?
Jacks1989
Also will Bryce Drew stay?
nacluth
Jacks1989 said:

Also will Bryce Drew stay?
Yeah, it's can GCU find a way to pay him enough to stay. They have enough through GCE (the for profit side) to do it.
No-look
The question I'm thinking of is what will WE have next year ?
BigJack85
No-look said:

Looking a lot like 2019/2020. Juco, Portal, Juco, Portal. LOL.
No-look
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

Looking a lot like 2019/2020. Juco, Portal, Juco, Portal. LOL.
. They better make it count. If they're 8' tall and can't score pass on them. Lol
SCH890
As one of the more former current students (I graduated in 2020 during the COVID Era), the giveaways were the most significant factor in getting students to come to games. We had Purple out Free T-shirts, men's Basketball Squishy basketballs, Free Raising Canes if the team scored 80+ points, and so much more.

I think Grand Canyon does have a fee for their students. I think it's 200 a year for the Experience GCU fee that can help fund this aspect. My graduate school did the same thing, which let us into all sporting Events, which was 80 bucks.

I really think we should hold another vote on this fee. We did it once when I was there, and it failed, but we let Seniors and Juniors vote when it wouldn't have affected them. So it was doomed to the start.

If we do both the Athletic Fee and More giveaways, I can see the students start showing up, and we could get to the GCU level of hype. The Nac and ETX community also needs to do their part.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Probably the best game in this year's Big Dance!
Houston over A&M in OT. UH had 4 starters foul out. How A&M made it to OT was amazing. How UH survived in OT without those starters was amazing.

If you didn't watch it, find a replay and watch the last 2 minutes of regulation and the OT. You'll be glad you did!
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Probably the best game in this year's Big Dance!
Houston over A&M in OT. UH had 4 starters foul out. How A&M made it to OT was amazing. How UH survived in OT without those starters was amazing.

If you didn't watch it, find a replay and watch the last 2 minutes of regulation and the OT. You'll be glad you did!
. Classic!
SFA Jack Fanatic
This topic has been discussed ad infinitum here throughout the past season. We're tired of beating this dead horse.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

This topic has been discussed ad infinitum here throughout the past season. We're tired of beating this dead horse.
Relative to the student fee, that horse is very much alive. It's being structured, and approached, somewhat differently than it was in 2016.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.