2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball

7,734 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look
Cox is well qualified for a head coaching position
Jacks1989

Kinda surprised on this. Figured they would have stuck with the interim coach. Joseph Jones has done a fantastic job as the interim.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Kinda surprised on this. Figured they would have stuck with the interim coach. Joseph Jones has done a fantastic job as the interim.

This had been decided long ago.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Brad Underwood gets his 2nd Big 10 tournement title. Only the 6th B-10 coach to win two.
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Brad Underwood gets his 2nd Big 10 tournement title. Only the 6th B-10 coach to win two.
Impressive. Still should be noticed that in his six previous seasons at Illinois that he has exactly as many tournament wins (2) as he had at SFA in three years. He still has not reached a Sweet 16 despite extremely favorable seeding including a 1 seed.

Now in his 7th season he should surpass his SFA success, but it just shows that he had something extremely special here - just not the millions of dollars in pay.
nacluth
Grand Canyon got the 12 seed. Just putting it here that this is still an indication of what the committee thinks of the WAC. GCU had a pretty great resume and a final NET of 50. Let's just say multiple teams with worse NET got lower seeds. Mid majors are still peaking at 12 without serious success. The WAC is an improvement in some very key ways. Tournament placement is not one of them.

St. Mary's has to be one of the toughest draws for them.
Pilotgirl
I agree...and CBU WBB got the 15 seed playing a VERY GOOD UCLA...
nacluth
Yep. 15 is a little bit of an insult to a conference champ that won their tournament in a competitive field. They may have had a decent chance as a 13 seed, but they a got a terrible draw. But at least they will share home court…
SFAXE93
Looks like not much better than the SLC

SLC
(Men's) McNeese State #12 Seed to play #5 Gonzaga
(Women's) Texas A&M CC #16 Seed to play #1 USC

WAC
(Men's) Grand Canyon #12 Seed to play #5 Saint. Mary's
(Women's) CBU #15 Seed to play #2 UCLA

McNeese State had a Brad Underwood type season going from (11-23; 6-12) in 2023 to (30-3; 17-1) in 2024 with new Head Coach Will Wade.

11 straight wins.

Wins over VCU, Texas State, UAB, ULL, and Michigan.

They also played the following schools

College of Biblical Studies (96-55)
Champion Christian (110-46)
Mississippi University for Women (92-23)

Their 3-losses were to
@Western Carolina 74-76
@Louisiana Tech 62-71
@Southeastern Louisiana 74-77

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
Better seeding was one of the big selling points for moving to the WAC.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ha....yep better seeding and maybe a 2 bid league.
No-look
This didn't take long
Jacks1989
Big loss for UTA.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I can see McNeese MBB knocking off Gonzaga, or at least keeping it very close.
Jacks1989
My son goes to McNeese and I have been watching most of there games. They are fun to watch. Very athletic. Shahada Wells is the real deal.
nacluth
I had four 11 seeds making the Sweet 16. Maybe I'm crazy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jimel Cofer had a career high 19 points tonight as Grambling beat Montana State in a NCAA tournament play-in game.

Cofer was on SFA's roster in '21-'22, playing 9 minutes and scoring 2 points.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UTRGV has informed the WAC that they will be leaving the WAC to join the Southland. The move will cost them $2 million.

(Tired of getting their brains beat out of them in the WAC.)
nacluth
Cofer is averaging 9 minutes and 2 points a game this season with Grambling. Consistent. Edit: oh I see, at SFA he played 3.5 minutes and averaged .7 points. Sorry, misread your comment.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UTRGV has informed the WAC that they will be leaving the WAC to join the Southland. The move will cost them $2 million.

(Tired of getting their brains beat out of them in the WAC.)
2 million bucks to go join the Southland is wild.
jboy93
Jacks1989 said:

My son goes to McNeese and I have been watching most of there games. They are fun to watch. Very athletic. Shahada Wells is the real deal.
Wells was a stud while he was here at TJC. Wished we could have picked him up back then. Amazing that this is his fourth college and I believe this is his sixth year as he will be 25 soon. I have them going to the Sweet 16.
nacluth
nacluth said:

My long shot Duquesne made it through round one. Now they just have to keep Underwood from making his first Sweet 16.
No-look
nacluth said:

nacluth said:

My long shot Duquesne made it through round one. Now they just have to keep Underwood from making his first Sweet 16.
my bracket is perfect as of now. Should I start my bragging? Lol
nacluth
This is THE time.
nacluth
Oh well. I picked Nevada to break my perfect bracket. They were up 17 with 6 minutes left. Dayton went 24-4 over the final 6 minutes. Total collapse by the Wolfpack.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

nacluth said:

nacluth said:

my bracket is perfect as of now. Should I start my bragging? Lol

Yes. You definitely better do it now while you can. The window for bragging will soon close.
No-look
Kentucky flawed my bracket
nacluth
New Mexico is good team, but I really need them to overcome this 14 point deficit at half.
No-look
nacluth said:

New Mexico is good team, but I really need them to overcome this 14 point deficit at half.
haven't missed any so far today. But today is still young
No-look
A college team put their heart and soul into a season and I'm sitting here hoping a team loses just to help my bracket…???
nacluth
Nice total team game by GCU for the win tonight. Just want to point out that in the past 10 tournaments, teams in SFA's league have won 5 times. No 2020 tournament which would have resulted assuredly in more SFA wins.

SFA: 2014 (1st NCAA win), 2016
ACU: 2021 (1st NCAA win)
NMSU: 2022 (1st win in 31 years)
GCU: 2024 (1st NCAA win)

It's not all SFA, but we're going to take some credit for making all teams step up their competition. Both the SLC and the WAC struggled before SFA broke through. Now our peers are expecting success.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Nice total team game by GCU for the win tonight. Just want to point out that in the past 10 tournaments, teams in SFA's league have won 5 times. No 2020 tournament which would have resulted assuredly in more SFA wins.

SFA: 2014 (1st NCAA win), 2016
ACU: 2021 (1st NCAA win)
NMSU: 2022 (1st win in 31 years)
GCU: 2024 (1st NCAA win)

It's not all SFA, but we're going to take some credit for making all teams step up their competition. Both the SLC and the WAC struggled before SFA broke through. Now our peers are expecting success.

Really important data. This GCU team is special. Like SFA in years past, they are a unique combination of players that can play defense while combining true offensive prowess.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
TallTexan would know better than I, but because of these consistent wins, I think SFA has been getting NCAA revenue share from these wins for the last decade right?
SFA Jack Fanatic
It hurts to say it, but yeah, they are a special team. It wouldn't be a major shocker to me if they knock off Bama and make the Sweet 16.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.