2019 Southland Football

23,019 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Any news on 2019 Southland Football?

76 always bringing us back down to Earth and to reality.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nicholls beats SELA 28-27 to clinch a share of the SLC title and advance to the FCS playoffs.
SFA Jack Fanatic
FCS playoffs announced...

SELA gets to host a first-round game against Villanova this Saturday. The winner of that will play #6 seed Montana.

Nicholls will host North Dakota in a first-round game on Saturday, with the winner facing #1 seed North Dakota State.

UCA gets a #8 seed and a first-round bye. They will play the winner between Southeast Missouri and Illinois State on December 7.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SELA gets to host a first-round game against Villanova this Saturday. The winner of that will play #6 seed Montana.

Nicholls will host North Dakota in a first-round game on Saturday, with the winner facing #1 seed North Dakota State.

UCA gets a #8 seed and a first-round bye. They will play the winner between Southeast Missouri and Illinois State on December 7.
UCA lost to SLU by 34 points, and to Nicholls by 20, yet they got seeded. Somebody help me understand.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UCA lost to SLU by 34 points, and to Nicholls by 20, yet they got seeded. Somebody help me understand.

My only guess is that UCA was one of only three FCS teams to beat an FBS team. (FCS teams went 3-111 against FBS teams.) They beat Western Kentucky, which went on to beat So. Miss, Arkansas, Army, and UAB. Other than that, I'm clueless, too.
SFAJack_76
Lamar looking for a new coach.
BigJack85
Wow. That was prettt quick.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Only 3 years in and still has two left on his contract. I'm pretty surprised.
TallTexan

If they hire Briles, the rest of the teams need to vote to eject them from the league. We don't need that scumbag in this conference.
Ljacks&Longnecks
So true Texan, can't imagine anyone giving this jerk another college head coach job.
Heck even at Mount Vernon they brought in 2 kids from Colorado to play that were eventually ruled ineligible because they transferred in for athletic reasons. Of course in true Briles fashion, he claims to know nothing about it and the blame falls on a former Baylor player that is related to the 2 players. Now that pales in comparison to the rape culture that he endorsed at Baylor but is another example of how he plays the" I don't know nothing card" when it suits him.
SFAXE93
ALL SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE TEAM

I guess no more honorable mention, now they have 3rd Team

All dominated by UCA, Sam, Nicholls, and SLU

Storm got 1st Team
Gipson got 2nd Team WR and 3rd team KR
Willie Roberts got 3rd team

https://www.southland.org/news/2019/11/26/southland-announces-2019-all-conference-football-teams.aspx

TallTexan
Think we'll see a rising tide of purple on these teams next year.
SFAJack_76
Well, at east they spelled Gipson right this time. Biased, but he should have been freshman of the year.
jboy93
Will we see Storm in the pros possibly? Kicking seems to be a tough position these days.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

Well, at east they spelled Gipson right this time. Biased, but he should have been freshman of the year.
Just looked at the stats, and I am now positive that Gipson should have been freshman of the year. Receiving stats were almost identical. Gipson was sixth in the conference in KO returns, and second in all purpose yards. The only stat where Hudson had an advantage was 12-7 in TD's.

SFAJack_76
Special.
SFAJack_76
Gag. Maybe they should just drop football. Again.
TallTexan
They should if they're gonna hire Briles.
Pilotgirl
It's like ying and yang....SFA putting Southland on the map AGAIN.

Other Schools: Hold up! Not so fast! Gotta keep our conference in the mud.
SFASawmillGuy
I for one look forward to Coach Carthel taking Art Briles to the woodshed once a year for at least 3 years before Briles is fired again.
TallTexan
Nah I don't even want him on our campus on the visiting side.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nicholls and SELA both winners today. The SLC will have three teams in Round 2 of the FCS playoffs.
SFASawmillGuy
And since no one has to watch the inmates and make sure they escape, they're saving a ton on security!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Attendance at the Nicholls playoff game on Saturday was 7,400. Attendance at SELA's game was 4,100. None of the other six FCS games drew more than 3,500. Pitiful.
SFASawmillGuy
The first round is historically bad for attendance due to thanksgiving. Second round games are usually sold out or close to it.
SFAJack_76
I suppose his "expectations" for salary, etc. are more reasonable than when he interviewed for the SFA job. I think we ended up better off anyway.
TallTexan
I hope he doesn't go to Lamar though.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I hope he doesn't go to Lamar though.
I agree, but I am not afraid of him going there. We know he recruits East Texas well, but I believe our staff and program can out recruit him at Lamar. He had very good success at 4A Gilmer, but they have continued to have success since he left. They are playing for the region championship tomorrow. He doesn't have the success and experience of a college HC like Carthel has even if his was at D2.

TallTexan
Oh I know our coaches can are as good or likely better.

I just like Traylor & don't like Lamar. I hope Traylor ends up back at UT.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Southland teams go 0-for-3 today, with SELA getting embarrassed.

Montana 73
SELA 28

Illinois State 24
UCA 14

North Dakota State 37
Nicholls 13
SFASawmillGuy
Afraid this was to be expected. The SLC is not a strong FCS conference. Maybe the 5th best power 5 FCS conference.

Especially this year. Some people said it was because the SLC was competitive or deep. I believe it was solely because the conference was and all around.
SFAXE93
Looks like San Diego State QB Blane Morgan to Lamar

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-lamar-to-hire-fbs-assistant-as-head-coach/
cboothe09
Missed on Traylor and Beck? Ouch...
TallTexan
It's Morgan.

I was hoping they'd hire Beck. We could beat the tires off a Beck led team.

Where they screwed up was not hiring Scotty Walden. Thank goodness for us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.