2019 Southland Football

23,127 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A day where HBU puts up 53 points in a win and SHSU loses....now we just need to win and it's a good day.
SFAJack_76
Decent road trip.
SFASawmillGuy
HBU is in the top 25. That's one of the signs of the apocalypse right?
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA_03 said:

HBU is in the top 25. That's one of the signs of the apocalypse right?
Maybe now they can raise the funds to put bleachers on the other side of the field so they don't look like they have a High School practice field.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nicholls is ranked 12th and Prison Tech 24th in this week's FCS Coaches Poll. Both are teams that we played almost dead even. UCA is 16th, which makes no sense since they were pounded by Nicholls and have a 3-2 record.

Tarleton is ranked 4th in Div. II.
SFASawmillGuy
We may be the best 1-5 team in the country.
nacluth
I remember when we were the best 0-11 team.
SFASawmillGuy
We took NDSU to the wire that year!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Lamar beats Prison Tech 20-17 in 3 OT's.
BigJack85
Ya. I think Sammie has flatlined the past 3-4 years. We already hit bottom last year. Our ascendancy begins now. We looked like we could have beaten them last week.

When we do come back, and we will, please please SFA Board of Regents make an investment in reviving Homer Bryce. At minimum a new field house and a more dramatic tunnel entrance etc. We are probably not talking $60 million. More like $35 - $40 million. I feel like we might have the momentum, with the 100th anniversary approaching.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Ya. I think Sammie has flatlined the past 3-4 years. We already hit bottom last year. Our ascendancy begins now. We looked like we could have beaten them last week.

When we do come back, and we will, please please SFA Board of Regents make an investment in reviving Homer Bryce. At minimum a new field house and a more dramatic tunnel entrance etc. We are probably not talking $60 million. More like $35 - $40 million. I feel like we might have the momentum, with the 100th anniversary approaching.

Wonder what it'd cost to do Matt's plan of removing the track & bringing in one side?
TallTexan
Also I was just thinking about that today. I think a good number of Bearkat fans would swap Carthel for Keeler in a heartbeat.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Wonder what it'd cost to do Matt's plan of removing the track & bringing in one side?

Huh?? How could we bring in one side of the stadium? That doesn't compute to me.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

I would love a complete renovation (like what Matt so beautifully designed) but I believe that is out of the financial picture. I think most we can hope for is a significant update of the field house. And from what I've heard that is one of the major drawbacks we have from a recruiting perspective. It's not the campus, the student support ...... it is facilities and we are only out front with basketball.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
You don't think we could do a complete reno for 35 mil?
TallTexan
Lol:

PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Huh?? How could we bring in one side of the stadium? That doesn't compute to me.
That's been the plan for a long time. I saw the sketch in Hills office a long time ago. Maybe "bring in a side" isn't the best phrase, but it would be building on to the current field house and down over the hill and down over where the track is currently. Similar to a lot of places, like Texas State for example:

And the way they have it set up, there's room for temporary bleachers if needed for a big game:

PurpleOut
Staff
I of course have no idea what stuff like that costs. But, at the same time, I do know that schools have built full stadiums for much less than the $35-$40M mentioned earlier.

I think it was on the old forum, but I had a full thread on different stadiums around the country. The one that stuck out to me the most was Mercer. The stadium they opened in 2013 only cost $14M. Capacity is a little lower than I'd want (10,200), so I'd assume for a few extra million we could make it bigger. But I would love a place like this, fans all around the field.

I'd take that every day of the week over Homer Bryce. While we've helped adding the endzone suites, and revamping the team entrance...there's nothing intimate about the place.
TallTexan
Man, I love the look of that Mercer Stadium.

Assuming you keep the home stands in place, I think you could accomplish something relatively inexpensively: Under 20 mil.

If I were building the stadium plan I would do the following:
  • Leave home stands as is
  • Remove track & reposition field in front of home stands
  • Bring in hill on South End Zone. Bonus is that it gives you extra tailgating space.
  • Build a new guest side seating(perhaps removing the 2nd hill in the process & using that dirt to give you a few hundred extra yards of room above the flood plain.
  • Add an extension to the football office building that brings it closer to the field of play & allows for some endzone seating around an entrance tunnel. For architectural style, I'd see if you could match the Rusk building. Something cool & old school.

I'm wildly ballparking here, but I think you could probably do something like the above mentioned for around 10-12 million if you leave the home stand intact. Plus an extra 2 million to relocate the track(bonus points if you can mesh it with a soccer stadium).

I also wouldn't mind it if we added some awnings to it, but that's just me.
TallTexan
I'd also be happy to hear arguments for a full revamp though & what that'd cost. Maybe Cattitude can chime in on what their recent stadium cost.

Honestly, I detest most of the land utilization on that side of East College. I've got more opinions but first I want to know how attached you guys are to the Ag Pond lol.
PurpleOut
Staff
ACU's stadium was around $40M, I believe. It's definitely bigger and more along the lines of what I'd want to have. But if you told me we could have a 12k stadium like that for $40M vs a 10k stadium like Mercers for $14M...I'd say Mercer. Plenty of room to add on and expand in the future.

And that's my main point I guess. I feel like cost to do major renovations to Homer Bryce (more than just building on to the field house) would be just as if not more expensive than a whole new stadium. But I could be wrong. Seems like trying to do anything with the current hills would be difficult...if not impossible.
TallTexan
Same location though?

I like Homer Bryce, but it's mostly nostalgia & I'd trade it for an in close/more intimidating stadium tomorrow. Especially for the price range of Mercers.
PurpleOut
Staff
Well and that's the other problem, there's no room to build anything. Right now.

Plenty of room in the woods behind the practice field, and we already own that. I'm sure there are enough environmentalists to throw a fit, but I think that's the obvious choice for any thing new for the AD. Just my opinion.
PurpleOut
Staff
Does anyone know a dirt guy that could fill in Homer Bryce?
TallTexan
Man I like Tucker Woods, or whatever it's officially called. I wouldn't be opposed to using it, but it would hurt my heart.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Man I like Tucker Woods, or whatever it's officially called. I wouldn't be opposed to using it, but it would hurt my heart.
I don't disagree overall, but how many people use it or go back in there? There are trails in other places and outside of town. If we didn't already own it, I would probably feel different.
TallTexan
Ok hear me out. And this part is going to cost way more than 14 mil, but a lot of it is university spending that probably needs to be done anyway over the next decade/two.

• College of Forestry/mixed use building on top of where Wisely Hall/Campus PD building is.
  • East Caf/Hall 14/16 are rebuilt as a huge residence hall. Like Jester at UT Size.
  • Tear down the monstrosities that are Steen.
  • Fill in the ag pond.
  • Then, Shoehorn a football stadium on top of the current practice field, utlizing some space from the woods. On the South EndZone you'll have sports admin/offices, on the north endzone a new ROTC building.
  • Level the old stadium & use that space combined with Ag pond for on campus baseball/softball facilities.
  • Add a parking garage to make up for space issues.

How do you like my 150 million plan?

Of which, probably only 25 is for sports.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

I don't disagree overall, but how many people use it or go back in there? There are trails in other places and outside of town. If we didn't already own it, I would probably feel different.
Of the overall student population? It's pretty low. it was a great place to jog. I'm just pro-forest. In everything.

If we, the Lumberjacks, in the Pineywoods, could somehow incorporate a forest like feel into the edges of the stadium, I'd be more for it. That's be a wicked cool stadium. Similar to how more mountainous regions build their stadiums with incredible views. We could call it something cool like the Pine Cathedral.

But if you move the stadium out there, to yonder woods, I could see something cool where you connect trails around the stadium into trails that forms a sort of urban park feel running all the way back up to the current military science building. Add better parking structures near steen & you could carve off the edges for a baseball stadium. That would be an incredibly cool tailgating environment, give more space to stretch your legs on campus, & redevelop the North side of East College into an awesome campus feature.
PurpleOut
Staff
100%. If you could take out the least amount of trees as possible and have them all around the stadium, it'd be amazing.

I've always been a huge fan of The Rock at App State because of their setting next to the trees.

TallTexan
Ok I'm onboard. Ditch the track & that's exactly what I want.

You call Ivey, I'll bring my axe when we're in town on the 9th & we'll start felling a few trees for the field area.
nacluth
Well as someone that lives here, losing the Tucker Woods area (part of the native plant center) would be tragic. They actually are pretty well used. I know I go through there several times a week. Besides classes (SFA and area schools), it does have a decent trail structure combining with the Lanana Creek trail system. Also, as the name implies, it's a great resource for studies in a native environment.

Homer Bryce and the associated fields/field house is a giant land gobbler. I'm not saying that it's the worst use of the land, but that area needs to be reclaimed. A full redesign/ new stadium and facilities could bring to life that whole area of campus. I don't know what support there would be after 10 years of relative losing, but use the current land- not the easy land.
TallTexan
What if you had the North End Zone of Nacluth Family Stadium end with a small hill that opens up into the woods? Basically right on top of where the current practice field is.

South End Zone would be new football/Athletic Facilities, double fronted so that you've got a great facade for football & the campus side. The campus side edge of the building would sit roughly where the steeple chase pit currently sits.

If you ditch the Ag pond(is it a natural spring?) you should have enough room for on campus baseball & softball, plus a decent sized "park area" for tailgating.

That would also open up options in the future for redeveloping Steen, the Forestry Building, & East Cafe/Halls 16/20 to better utilize space & update old buildings.
TallTexan
Just used an online calculator & it looks like the current football facilities all encompassing are 20 acres. That seems a little high, I'd guess closer to 12-14 acres, but that's still a huge footprint.

Also, that's not counting Ag pond.
SFAJack_76
Any news on 2019 Southland Football?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Any news on 2019 Southland Football?

Gestures broadly, it's very footbally & Sam lost.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.