2019 Southland Football

22,995 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PurpleOut
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Going ahead and starting a thread if anyone wants to discuss other Southland recruiting classes, transfers, etc.

Sam Houston is getting RB Toneil Carter from Texas. Which sucks. I thought he was really good and misused at Texas.
BigJack85
What's the take on our recruits? Any real standouts? Surprises?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Ya I was surprised to hear that Toneil was transferring.
SFASawmillGuy
Sam Houston is still rebuilding. While they destroyed us, if you look at their schedule that was really their only complete game they played. They have a ton of holes they need to fill on that team.

Nicholls is gonna come back reloaded. They'll probably be the favorite to win the conference. They're just too physical, have good leadership, and can beat teams in the trenches.

I don't know if UIW is really that good now or if it was just a fluke, but we need to watch out for them.

ACU is at some point in time going to be consistently good. Maybe this will be the year it starts.

Lamar was a fluke.

McNeese is a question mark.

NWST looks like they'll have an explosive offense and bad defense again.

SLU and UCA are both interesting. A lot of talent but a ton of holes. History shows UCA will be back. But SLU is a wildcard.

HBU still exists.

And I expect for us to surprise a lot of people. Maybe not playoffs. But I think we win some games we shouldn't win and generate some real excitement the future of the program.
SFASawmillGuy
SLU is getting a 6'7 QB from Arkansas.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

SLU is getting a 6'7 QB from Arkansas.

Is his name Bryan Smallett, with a suspicious looking mustache like Leon Sandcastle has?
SFAXE93
ACU has such nice facilities and all in the same area.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Stats FCS Football has produced a strength ranking of all 13 FCS conferences for 2019. They rank the SLC at #5.

1) Missouri Valley
2) Big Sky
3) CAA
4) Southern
5) SLC (They favor Nicholls above UIW and Lamar)
6) Ohio Valley
7) Ivy
8) Big South
9) MEAC
10) Northeast
11) Patriot
12) SWAC
13) Pioneer
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Street and Smith's prediction for the SLC

Nicholls
Sam Houston
Lamar
UIW
McNeese
ACU
NWSU
SELA
UCA
SFA
HBU
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Street and Smith's prediction for the SLC

Nicholls
Sam Houston
Lamar
UIW
McNeese
ACU
NWSU
SELA
UCA
SFA
HBU

UCA at 9th is a bold prediction. But this season it will be hard to tell.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SLC Media Day starts Thursday in Houston!

Live on ESPN3

SFA time 1:45-2:10

https://www.southland.org/news/2019/7/15/thursdays-southland-conference-football-media-day-to-air-live-on-espn3.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2f2kIXd7RduesTTWyaVUBIh4SCVBbkfhPjojND-e4u1Rb-BWLXiOerINs
TallTexan
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I prefer 8 games. Balance on home and away and more non-conference dates.

I wonder if there's any speculation at the media day that any school(s) are looking at leaving the SLC.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAXE93 said:

SLC Media Day starts Thursday in Houston!

Live on ESPN3

SFA time 1:45-2:10

https://www.southland.org/news/2019/7/15/thursdays-southland-conference-football-media-day-to-air-live-on-espn3.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2f2kIXd7RduesTTWyaVUBIh4SCVBbkfhPjojND-e4u1Rb-BWLXiOerINs
So I can literally walk to this hotel from my office.

Anyone know if I can crash this and show up at 1:45 and catch it live or do you have to have a media pass?
CertifiedAxeman98
So apparently in the spring Directv Now customers like me lost access to ESPN 3. Also, ESPN plus does not give you ESPN 3 so I am SOL for this after spending 15 minutes trying to figure out why it said I was not authorized to watch ESPN 3. Stupid. When can I just buy ESPN as a package and get all of ESPN in one package. I don't want a big massive cable package and then have to buy Plus on top of it. I just want ESPN and all the ESPN channels. Basically I could get all ESPN channels on Directv now and then buy plus and still not be able to watch Media day since it is on ESPN 3.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

So apparently in the spring Directv Now customers like me lost access to ESPN 3. Also, ESPN plus does not give you ESPN 3 so I am SOL for this after spending 15 minutes trying to figure out why it said I was not authorized to watch ESPN 3. Stupid. When can I just buy ESPN as a package and get all of ESPN in one package. I don't want a big massive cable package and then have to buy Plus on top of it. I just want ESPN and all the ESPN channels. Basically I could get all ESPN channels on Directv now and then buy plus and still not be able to watch Media day since it is on ESPN 3.

www.espn3.com (WatchESPN) is on the internet and available to everyone with internet access.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

UIW is too high and NWST is too low. I don't think UIW will recapture that lightening in a bottle, and NWST found an offensive identity. They'll be hard to stop.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SLC at #5 of 13.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sort of on topic, but Northwestern State has approved beer sales at games. I believe, the tweet was deleted but it was from their department.

I know we're "looking into it," but I hope this is something we do ASAP. Increased revenue is the biggest factor, but I think it's one extra step to get a few more fans/students into the games.
SfaFan15
PurpleOut said:

Sort of on topic, but Northwestern State has approved beer sales at games. I believe, the tweet was deleted but it was from their department.

I know we're "looking into it," but I hope this is something we do ASAP. Increased revenue is the biggest factor, but I think it's one extra step to get a few more fans/students into the games.
That's the most accurate statement I've heard so far. I emailed Ivey about it right when he started. Never heard back but glad to hear it is at least being looked into. I know the idea of beer sales at games has it's critics, but it seems like every team that has started serving has seen great results and has better experiences among fans and students.

There is an article out there about when WVU started serving beer when Oliver Luck was their AD and they had pretty tremendous results.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Decided to make it it's own topic: https://sfasawmill.com/forums/5/topics/1605/replies/43885
SFAJack_76
Strong SLC representation with three in the top 25, and six more RV.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
LSU, Mizzou, and now Nicholls. That is a strange trip. And they say he might play this season? I guess I missed a step or two.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

Nicholls isn't benching the best QB in school history for a mid season transfer.
SFAJack_76
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.