2017 Basketball Recruits

96,986 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sfa17
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Recruiting is rough. You're not only trying to close kids for the current class, but out on the road visiting guys in the next 2-3 classes as well. Our staff is working extremely hard, I hope everyone sees that. They're everywhere.

sfa17
PurpleOut said:

Our staff is working extremely hard, I hope everyone sees that. They're everywhere.

Yeah totally agree. they are doing good work. A few days ago commented in 2018 recruiting section about how good our coaches r doing in recruiting. For example: 2018 Nigel hawkins. They offered him months before a&m , Houston etc.
sfa17

SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Perhaps we shouldn't be counting our eggs before they hatch??
djsfw57
Can someone explain why I have been seeing blank posts for the last several days? I see a shaded area but there is no text in it, yet people are commenting on the post. Is it just me? My computer?
SFA Jack Fanatic
djsfw57 said:

Can someone explain why I have been seeing blank posts for the last several days? I see a shaded area but there is no text in it, yet people are commenting on the post. Is it just me? My computer?
I usually remove a photo or video that was attached to an earlier post before replying to it, just to save space in my reply. Perhaps that would explain the empty shaded areas you're seeing?

Are you able to see the video clip that the SFA MBB Managers posted last night? When I commented on their post I had removed their video clip.

If that's not the problem, then it's probably an issue with your computer.
INiedrauer
Staff
Committed during official visit. Will sign Wednesday.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Committed during official visit. Will sign Wednesday.
Excellent!!!! Three years left, correct?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just noticed that Comeaux was the NJCAA National Player of the Week in early January after scoring 47 against Panola College on January 6.

http://www.12newsnow.com/sports/lscpas-comeaux-named-national-njcaa-player-of-the-week/385386360
sfa17
Okay Yeah. He is going to be sophomore. What were u saying about counting eggs . Now we have 2 pg's that can score.
cboothe09
Comeaux, Mack, and Augustine. That is a deadly trio that will haunt the SLC for a few years...
SFAXE93
Guard Keon Clergeot *** is leaving Memphis.

SFA offered last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Guard Keon Clergeot *** is leaving Memphis.

SFA offered last year.
A scoring machine and a 6-A All-Stater in high school in Florida. But where would we put him? Running low on scholarships.
INiedrauer
Staff
Wasn't really circulating but SFA was hard after TK Edogi, grad transfer center from Tulsa. Thought we had a really good chance and he had been scheduled to meet with the Jacks tonight. Unfortunately, he is now committed to Iona as of this morning.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Wasn't really circulating but SFA was hard after TK Edogi, grad transfer center from Tulsa. Thought we had a really good chance and he had been scheduled to meet with the Jacks tonight. Unfortunately, he is now committed to Iona as of this morning.
After looking at his stats, not a great loss. But it's good to see that the coaches are trying to bring in another Big, if even for one year.
INiedrauer
Staff
edstile said:

INiedrauer said:

After looking at his stats, not a great loss. But it's good to see that the coaches are trying to bring in another Big, if even for one year.

He never really got a chance to play consistently at Tulsa but he's a hell of an athlete. Could've potentially had a big year here. That's the missing piece on this team though - I'd expect most of the names that circulate through the late signing period to fit his profile: an athletic big that can legitimately match up against a real 5 in the non-conference. Leon, TJ, etc, all really good players but definitely playing out of position at the 5 right now.
sfa17
^was he the big one we found?
INiedrauer
Staff
sfa17 said:

Not him. The "home run" guy might not be eligible for another year though. Still unclear exactly who it is.
No-look
I'm assuming the "home run guy is a different one that was mentioned in the Fact or Fiction" article?
INiedrauer
Staff
No-look said:

I'm assuming the "home run guy is a different one that was mentioned in the Fact or Fiction" article?

Right. Edogi was one of several that was referenced there though. We'll see how it transpires. Not getting him is a blow but there's more out there.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

sfa17 said:

Not him. The "home run" guy might not be eligible for another year though. Still unclear exactly who it is.
Isaac, you sure seem to know a lot for someone who knows very little about our mystery catch. At this rate, we should get his name, rank, and serial number out of you in a couple of more days.
sfa17
What position do u think this mysterious player plays? And why r the staff keeping it a secret?
INiedrauer
Staff
The response I got to one of many inquiries I've made: "only way it doesn't happen is if it gets out."
sfa17
Guess it's time me for me to stop prying.
SFA Jack Fanatic
In the famous words of Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing... Nothing...."
PurpleOut
Staff
A lot is best to be kept a secret when it comes to recruiting. Too many times these recruiting services pry too hard and stories get out about kids, programs, etc that isn't good for either party. That's not what we're doing here obviously, but the bigger schools like Texas and Texas A&M have had huge issues with that topic.

I liked Edogi, he was a monster around the basket. Very strong finisher that would have been a solid addition. Oh well, moving on.
SFA88
edstile said:

In the famous words of Sergeant Schultz, "I know nothing... Nothing...."
and "If I were to know something, I wouldn't even tell myself"
sfa17
Zhaire smith cuts list down to Texas and Texas tech. Best of luck to him. Will sign Thursday
sfa17
The signing period runs through May 17 for Division I colleges and through Aug. 1 for Division II schools.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah, really too bad. Big name schools are hard to beat out. Even with playing time, etc to offer.
INiedrauer
Staff
For what it's worth, I think Zhaire Smith was way over-recruited. That's pretty normal around this time of year as the talent thins out which is why a lot of coaches say they hate spring recruiting. I'll accept being wrong if he ends up as a star in either place but I don't think he was quite as good as the market was making him seem.
PurpleOut
Staff
INiedrauer said:

For what it's worth, I think Zhaire Smith was way over-recruited. That's pretty normal around this time of year as the talent thins out which is why a lot of coaches say they hate spring recruiting. I'll accept being wrong if he ends up as a star in either place but I don't think he was quite as good as the market was making him seem.
Which we've seen several times in the past few years (Jordan Jackson and Tech).
sfa17
Some of these big schools collect players like baseball card. Tech already has a 4 and 3 star SG. Texas has one 4 star SG freshmen coming in and four other 4 star SG (one who is rivals 5 star) currently on the team and Texas is still currently recruiting top 15 player Brian Bowen

Let's see what he does.
PurpleOut
Staff
Comeaux has signed.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

Comeaux has signed.

Woo hoo!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.