2017 Basketball Recruits

96,992 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sfa17
INiedrauer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
sfa17 said:

can you elaborate on way you and coaches think he has the potential to be great at Sfa?
Maybe one of the most overlooked players in the country. He doesn't have a great jump shot and that scared off some of the big suitors. Plenty of people are kind of amazed we got him. Not only does the staff think his shooting can be taught after spending time with him during the process, he doesn't even need to shoot to be great at SFA. He has legitimate NBA-prospect passing abilities and athleticsm. One assistant I was talking to earlier today put it this way: "Coaches at this level have to run set plays all the time to get guys looks. High-major coaches don't like to draw up plays as much because they can recruit guys who are best when they just play basketball. Mack is that kind of guy."

I really think that's what made our team last year so special too. It was finally a group of veteran players who could just get on the court and play. Brad rarely had to draw anything up. If we can get playmaker types like Mack, Shannon, and paired with a healthy Ty, the whole team changes. Even the role players can look like stars.
sfa17
Thanks. Wow can't wait to see him in purple plus Shannon's shooting ability.
PurpleOut
Staff
Not surprising, but unfortunately didn't make the final cut for Shawn Olden. Obviously some bit time offers here:

sfa17
We had no chance. Crazy that he was a sfa commit at one point.
ejasper12
Cam will dissect every team in the Southland conference. With his vision, his ability to create will limit turnovers and open up the floor for play making action. He is competitive and loves to win! Cam has a jumper and exhibited that in many games this year. He only had 3 months on the national circuit and racked up 10 offers. He led Under Armour in assists and was invited to Under Armour All American camp. As his coach would quote, In Kentucky a few weeks ago, spectators asked him, "Why didn't you come to Louisville?" If he had not signed his NLI, he would of racked up at least 7 more offers this year, many asked and wondered why but his heart was set on NAC.
SFA has been blessed with an amazing point guard that was born with a gift and passion for the sports.
He was a quarterback until his 9th grade year and decided to pursue basketball full time. His weight is not a determining factor, he has 6 months of the weight room and nutrition for that. He is a 6'3, 170 lb that can go round for round and pound for pound, quick 1st step and athleticism. No question in my mind what Cam will add to this team next year. Hold on Nac fans, you are in for the best ride of your life next year.
As for now, We are pushing & routing for this team this year!
ejasper12
Cam will dissect every team in the Southland conference. With his vision, his ability to create will limit turnovers and open up the floor for play making action. He is competitive and loves to win! Cam has a jumper and exhibited that in many games this year. He only had 3 months on the national circuit and racked up 10 offers. He led Under Armour in assists and was invited to Under Armour All American camp. As his coach would quote, In Kentucky a few weeks ago, spectators asked him, "Why didn't you come to Louisville?" If he had not signed his NLI, he would of racked up at least 7 more offers this year, many asked and wondered why but his heart was set on NAC.
SFA has been blessed with an amazing point guard that was born with a gift and passion for the sports.
He was a quarterback until his 9th grade year and decided to pursue basketball full time. His weight is not a determining factor, he has 6 months of the weight room and nutrition for that. He is a 6'3, 170 lb that can go round for round and pound for pound, quick 1st step and athleticism. No question in my mind what Cam will add to this team next year. Hold on Nac fans, you are in for the best ride of your life next year.
INiedrauer
Staff
ejasper12 said:

Welcome to the board! I have no doubt that your son is going to be a great one here. Last night stings but we're excited for the rest of this season and even more so for the future with Cam and Shannon playing in WRJ. We're glad he's a Lumberjack because I know there were plenty of others who would've loved to have his playmaking.
ejasper12
Thank you so much! We are so excited about next year and to see this amazing basketball program grow and be even more successful!
Yes we are pulling for the team and coaches this year!
PurpleOut
Staff
Good post!

Darien Jackson, another big recruit we were after committed to Tulsa last night.
PurpleOut
Staff
4* Tevin Mack is transferring from Texas. Former VCU commit that Shaka took with him to Austin, was pretty high on SFA and Underwood before blowing up. Mack and Mack combo would be amazing next year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

4* Tevin Mack is transferring from Texas. Former VCU commit that Shaka took with him to Austin, was pretty high on SFA and Underwood before blowing up. Mack and Mack combo would be amazing next year.
I won't hold my breath on that one. He had originally been recruited by the likes of Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA. But who knows? Maybe they wouldn't want to deal with his dirty laundry.
sfa17
Do you have to sit out a year if you transfer from fbs basketball to fcs basktball? If the answer is no, then that is one clear advantage we have. Heard he is leaving for violating team rules or something and like edstile said some of the big schools are less likely to put up with that behavior.
INiedrauer
Staff
sfa17 said:

Do you have to sit out a year if you transfer from fbs basketball to fcs basktball? If the answer is no, then that is one clear advantage we have. Heard he is leaving for violating team rules or something and like edstile said some of the big schools are less likely to put up with that behavior.
There is no FBS/FCS designation in any sport but football. It's all DI and the sit-out-a-year transfer rule applies to anyone. There are exceptions and this may be one of them (seems to be unclear whether he was dismissed or released on request), but probably not.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well, we don't know why Tevin Mack was suspended the 2nd time but for a struggling UT team to suspend him for good and to quote Coach Smart "I really didn't have a choice" doesn't sound too positive to me. Now I understand about 2nd chances, perhaps a change of environment etc. to help change or bring a guy around but..........Just my personal Opinion is that as much as I want SFA to succeed I want to see us do it with class and guys that understand right from wrong and make good decisions in their lives while under scholarship to a school. Not passing any judgement on him as we don't know the whole story but I would be very leery of picking up someone with a tattered history......Hell I wouldn't take the kid from Duke who has intentionally tripped 4 or 5 players now....very immature and classless.
PurpleOut
Staff
I've heard he failed multiple drug tests.
djsfw57
Doesn't matter how good he is then. We definitely don't need that kind of stuff damaging the reputation of this program.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Update on Shannon Bogues...

Games played: 30
Team Record (McLennan): 29-1
PPG: 18.8
FG%: 46.9
3PT%: 31.8
FT%: 76.3
Reb/G: 4.6
Ass/G: 3.8

BTW, I still think that his teammate at McLennan, Isaiah Gurley, would be a nice addition, too. I don't know if he has committed to anyone or if we would have a scholarship for him. His stats...

Games played: 29
PPG: 17.9
FG%: 51.8
3PT%: 35.3
FT%: 81.0
Reb/G: 5.2
Ass/G: 2.3
SFA Jack Fanatic
Update on Cameron Mack...

Games played (Kingwood Christian Life): 22
PPG: 24.5
FG%: 52
FT%: 78
3PT%: 33
Ass/G: 2.5
Reb/G: 1.2
Stl/G: 1.4
PurpleOut
Staff
Today Fisher won the SIAA Florida State Championship. And Mack won the TCAL National Championship and the MVP of the tournament.

sfa17
Next season needs to come quicker. Every one a year older, Bain's n Samuli return add Shannon ,Mack and stefon
djsfw57
I agree. I think next year we will see that SFA magic start to show again.
W1964
Friend you obviously never saw James Silas wear the purple and white.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Shannon Bogues' JUCO season came to an unexpectedly early end with an upset of McLennan by Howard College 62-59 in the Region V Tournament. McLennan finished 29-2 and Bogues averaged 18.8 for the season. Next stop: SFA!
PurpleOut
Staff
We made the Final 8 for Zhaire Smith. This is a Top150 kid, would be a ridiculous get if the staff can pull it off.
INiedrauer
Staff
PurpleOut said:

We made the Final 8 for Zhaire Smith. This is a Top150 kid, would be a ridiculous get if the staff can pull it off.
Really discouraging thing is we had a chance to sign him early. He was at midnight madness and pretty on board with SFA. They waited to offer him so guys wouldn't be looking over their shoulders and his reputation kind of blew up around the country and suddenly everyone wants him. It would be a long shot to get him but maaaaan he could do some special stuff at SFA.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yep.

If we are able to add him, we're talking about the most talented class to ever come to SFA.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Try tweeting him to encourage him here. I did and he replied. So, he's paying attention!
sfa17
yeah lets show him some love. i thought someone said we didnt make his final list? did he put us back in?
PurpleOut
Staff
Sorry, Top 9.

Texas
Texas Tech
Oregon
Kansas State
Arkansas
SFA
Tulane
Georgia Tech
Memphis

His latest follow and follower is Bogues.
INiedrauer
Staff
The original top list that was circulating for Smith excluded SFA. A new one as of this week includes us.
sfa17
sfa17
edstile said:

Try tweeting him to encourage him here. I did and he replied. So, he's paying attention!
What did he say?
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

edstile said:

What did he say?
He just said "I hear ya."
sfa17
That's a positive sign
SFA Jack Fanatic
Isaac, do you know if Coach K and the staff are on the recruiting trail now, or will that happen after the Madness? Just curious.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.