Southland Conference here we come

27,992 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Ginger & Jack(s)
SCH890
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

Pretty compact, travel friendly.
Why I like it: It saves even more money than we think. Most places can be reached by bus, so I can't see an actual reason to fly anywhere. It pains to see us going to SLC, but I'm all for it. I want to see the success of our program for years to come. Plus, we don't really know what the future will hold, but at least we have a place to call home for now.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Not 100% a fan of going back to the SLC, but I understand the move.

Football will be tricky, but not terrible because the SlLC is a large conference football wide, so making sure the schedule is full will not be as big of a deal. Volleyball will be trickier.

That said, because we are saving $1 million in travel costs, I hope they can reallocate those funds to facility improvements. That is our biggest problem. $1 million can go a long way to soccer and volleyball. We have already discussed that baseball/softball will need significantly more money. Winning cures everything and being more competitive can hopefully generate more donations and sponsorships.

As long as the SLC is not a permanent home, I can live with it (Not that I really have a choice).

Certainly has advantages. The core issue remains. HBU and UNO. No way around it. And I received my master's degree from HBU, so I'm rooting for HBU to be better. But that gym…. Been there for pick up games in the 80's. Then watching SFA dismantle hbu in the 2010's. Drop those two and the NET improves instantly.

Unfortunately members don't eject members.
cboothe09
I saw where all the lawsuits from the non-P4 members were dropped. I'm wondering what settlement was made. I'm hoping the money due from smaller schools was dropped to a MUCH more manageable number.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

I saw where all the lawsuits from the non-P4 members were dropped. I'm wondering what settlement was made. I'm hoping the money due from smaller schools was dropped to a MUCH more manageable number.

Thanks for the info, 09. I agree, and I sure hope some sanity prevailed.
mccowboys
BigJack85 said:

cboothe09 said:

Football will be tricky, but not terrible because the SlLC is a large conference football wide, so making sure the schedule is full will not be as big of a deal. Volleyball will be trickier.

That said, because we are saving $1 million in travel costs, I hope they can reallocate those funds to facility improvements. That is our biggest problem. $1 million can go a long way to soccer and volleyball. We have already discussed that baseball/softball will need significantly more money. Winning cures everything and being more competitive can hopefully generate more donations and sponsorships.

As long as the SLC is not a permanent home, I can live with it (Not that I really have a choice).

Certainly has advantages. The core issue remains. HBU and UNO. No way around it. And I received my master's degree from HBU, so I'm rooting for HBU to be better. But that gym…. Been there for pick up games in the 80's. Then watching SFA dismantle hbu in the 2010's. Drop those two and the NET improves instantly.

I don't know what is going on with HBU/HCU.

Three or four years ago I saw a football halftime interview with an administrator for the Huskies. I don't know who she was, whether she was the AD or president or what, but she ran off a long list of athletic improvements such as a new basketball/volleyball arena, improved baseball facilities, two-sided football seating that were coming. She said the money was already there, mostly from donations. I know that the Covid supply chain issues and inflation (such as the price of steel) hindered the construction of McNeese's new football pressbox -- the cost shot up by millions of dollars. I'm not sure if this is what is the issue with HCU. I wish someone could find out what the holdup is!
TallTexan
The Houston Metro has one of the lowest ratios of population to higher ed seats of any major metro in the US, so in theory there should be a good opportunity for HCU growth there.
BigJack85
mccowboys said:

BigJack85 said:

cboothe09 said:

I don't know what is going on with HBU/HCU.

Three or four years ago I saw a football halftime interview with an administrator for the Huskies. I don't know who she was, whether she was the AD or president or what, but she ran off a long list of athletic improvements such as a new basketball/volleyball arena, improved baseball facilities, two-sided football seating that were coming. She said the money was already there, mostly from donations. I know that the Covid supply chain issues and inflation (such as the price of steel) hindered the construction of McNeese's new football pressbox -- the cost shot up by millions of dollars. I'm not sure if this is what is the issue with HCU. I wish someone could find out what the holdup is!

I don't maintain the level of connection, with HBU that I do with SFA (obviously).

A couple years back i engaged a business contact that went to hbu. I don't think the money is there. Especially for basketball. My HBU alumni magazine later, came out with a comprehensive facilities plan. Little to none of the athletics items have moved forward. They have grown enrollment somewhat. Largely at the graduate level, online.
SoLittleChance
I guess being trailer park king is better than not be relevant. That's if we can swing it after a couple years of kissing McNeese's ring. Best of luck in our "bus" league. All of those travel millions we save can go to our University publicity fund, overcoming our new peer status.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SoLittleChance said:

I guess being trailer park king is better than not be relevant. That's if we can swing it after a couple years of kissing McNeese's ring. Best of luck in our "bus" league. All of those travel millions we save can go to our University publicity fund, overcoming our new peer status.

??? Whatever you're drinking or smoking... Cut it out before it's too late.
TallTexan
Interview with ACU Prez. Maybe they're sticking it out in the WAC or maybe they're waiting for the ink to dry on a Southland contract.

"If I were to look out across the landscape, any opportunity that ACU might want to pursue: If it's available today, it's going to be available in a year or two or three years. So, our priority is going to be to stay and build the WAC, and I think there are a lot of opportunities with additional conference shakeouts that might take place over the next several weeks and months," Schubert explained.

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/big-country-politics/navigating-the-ever-changing-college-sports-landscape-acus-future-in-the-wac
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Interview with ACU Prez. Maybe they're sticking it out in the WAC or maybe they're waiting for the ink to dry on a Southland contract.

"If I were to look out across the landscape, any opportunity that ACU might want to pursue: If it's available today, it's going to be available in a year or two or three years. So, our priority is going to be to stay and build the WAC, and I think there are a lot of opportunities with additional conference shakeouts that might take place over the next several weeks and months," Schubert explained.

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/big-country-politics/navigating-the-ever-changing-college-sports-landscape-acus-future-in-the-wac
ACU hanging in there with the WAC is laudable. It's also logistically much easier for Abilene than it would be for SFA. Three easy trips for ACU athletes, Abilene to Stephensville 1.5 hours, Abilene to Arlington 2.5 hours, Abilene to DFW Airport 2.5 hours.

They'll be flying to Utah a bunch, but at least the Seattle trip is only for one more year. CBU is probably the longest trip, flying to John Wayne or Ontario. The competition is WAY better than the SLC, but the travel is a headache. The only rationalization that can be made for ACU staying in the WAC, is the same one SFA made in 2021 for moving to the WAC... basketball basketball basketball.

From a football perspective the SLC is easier, mostly. Again, the competition level is mediocre. Hoping that McNeese pulls it together. If they (McNeese) come back to form, the SLC could be good. SFA has to contribute. By that I don't mean 6-5/7-4. No, we need to go out and win some OOC games that matter. I don't think it's coming this year (Montana St.) but maybe Carthel will have it put together for 2025.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Hate to lose another rivalry team. ACU seemed to be stepping into the role of a great rival, as Sam used to be. I agree with the ACU prez that things will likely remain somewhat volatile in the movement of teams and conferences over the next couple of years at least. Perhaps we will end up back in the same conference with ACU in the near future.
I wonder if the UT system that we now dwell under had a lot to say about the SFA athletic travel budget. UTRGV had already returned to SLC, which I see as a sensible move for them. Now SFA moves back and the travel budget is talked about as a key reason. Just wondering as I have no info to go on. It would make sense since the UT system now holds the reins to what SFA does.
TallTexan
I hope that even if we don't have ACU in conference that we can still play them regularly in all sports.

Tbh, their fans caring made them a better rival than Sam in every sport but football.

As far as UT and the travel budget I don't think that's the case. What I suspect is the main reason you keep hearing about travel budget is it's the best selling point for the Southland.

I suspect tomorrow that you'll hear a few key topics talked about.
1. Travel times are shorter & better for athletes
2. Travel budget
3. Restored rivalries
4. Some conglomeration of words that makes the Southland sound good but primarily boils down to "this conference is easier for us to win in most sports".
TallTexan
Though if UT is pulling the strings for travel budgets alone, I kinda hope they'll tell UT Arlington to join us.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Though if UT is pulling the strings for travel budgets alone, I kinda hope they'll tell UT Arlington to join us.

Arlington is soooo close to DFW airport that travel isn't as big of a concern.
TallTexan
It's definitely a bit more cost effective and they're not flying a football team anywhere.

But I'd imagine its still more expensive to fly than to drive over to Nac or Lamar.
RedRiverLa
mccowboys said:

At that time, with so many teams leaving the Southland Conference, if McNeese had left, the conference would have completely fallen apart. The Southland Conference recognized the importance of McNeese to the conference and appreciated its decision to remain. Our athletic director is a wheeler and dealer and he made a good deal for McNeese, which had just gone through back to back devastating hurricanes.
I don't think it would be a good look for a team that deserted the conference to come back and start making demands. That would be quite delusional. Par for the course for SFA.

Yep, the quality of the Cowboys wins this year really proved itself in the NCAA tourney this year. Guess Wade didn't make enough 'smart ass' offers.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I hope that even if we don't have ACU in conference that we can still play them regularly in all sports.

Tbh, their fans caring made them a better rival than Sam in every sport but football.

As far as UT and the travel budget I don't think that's the case. What I suspect is the main reason you keep hearing about travel budget is it's the best selling point for the Southland.

I suspect tomorrow that you'll hear a few key topics talked about.
1. Travel times are shorter & better for athletes
2. Travel budget
3. Restored rivalries
4. Some conglomeration of words that makes the Southland sound good but primarily boils down to "this conference is easier for us to win in most sports".
Conglomeration of words.... That pretty much covers it.
ServiceJack88
Who's ready for some festivities today?!
TallTexan
It's official.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/5/29/sfa-accepts-bid-to-southland-conference-for-2024-25-season
TallTexan
Southland return hype video.

https://www.facebook.com/100064534485909/posts/838679278293214/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v
nacluth
Well, three years away. Turns out only volleyball and women's basketball were ready for a move up in competition. Football and baseball are still abysmal. Midmajor men's basketball is just a cage fight anywhere. Hopefully track and field will reclaim their dominance in the SLC.
TallTexan
I definitely feel WBB and Volleyball benefitted the most from the step up in competition.

Already excellent programs that stepped it up another level.

Football had its moments but could never get over the hump.

MBB is definitely a rock fight in the WAC and we probably missed out on at least 1 NCAA tourney appearance bc of it.

I'm not mad about returning, having a new commish is a nice change. But I mostly want to get back to dominating every sport while still being able to win games in the postseason.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

It's official.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/5/29/sfa-accepts-bid-to-southland-conference-for-2024-25-season

The return of BB doubleheaders! I love it!!! I'd better put some new shoes on my jalopy. I'll be making many more trips to Nac this year. It always hurt to throw away unused season tickets the last three years.
Ljacks&Longnecks
BB doubleheaders are good. Now can watch both games and not have to choose as they will not be playing at same time.

The very late canceling of the Montana St football home and home was a bad decision and done in a very poor manner. Dont want to hear SFA leaders complain later when we cant get teams to commit to a series.
ServiceJack88
I like seeing the positivity on here today! X and FB have some folks who are just hearing about the news today and they are currently in a ball crying.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well we knew it was coming following this board. The casual SFA fan, which is most, likely had no clue.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

BB doubleheaders are good. Now can watch both games and not have to choose as they will not be playing at same time.

The very late canceling of the Montana St football home and home was a bad decision and done in a very poor manner. Dont want to hear SFA leaders complain later when we cant get teams to commit to a series.

Ya the Montana St news is very disappointing.
TallTexan
Love having the double headers back. It's so much easier to justify driving into Nac for two games.

Wonder if we can alternate which team plays the 2nd game to help build up the crowds for WBB.
AxeEm99
I am excited that SFA is back where we belong! McBroom definitely made the right call!!
ServiceJack88
Now will any other schools make the jump this year or next year?
TheRevSFA
There are pros and cons to the move depending upon where you look at this.

For the student athletes, it's probably a win. While it's 6 hours by bus to Nicholls and Hammond, 9 to RGV, it is easier than a plane to Utah. Cost savings? Potentially.

College sports is also a business, so what's gained taking a step to a weaker conference? More championships? Possibly. Of course, if SFA makes this move down and doesn't win championships and has a poor football season, then it's egg on the face.

SFA has always tried to keep up with Sam Houston and the two schools are on different trajectories so now SFA has to decide: what do they value the brand and school at.

Will be interesting to see what comes

TallTexan
ServiceJack88 said:

My guess is probably next year. Unless it happens to be UTA.

Not sure the SLC would rush to announce football schedules tomorrow if they were in deep discussions with Tarleton or ACU.
jboy93
TallTexan said:

ServiceJack88 said:

My guess is probably next year. Unless it happens to be UTA.

Not sure the SLC would rush to announce football schedules tomorrow if they were in deep discussions with Tarleton or ACU.
Seems like Tarleton wants something different but I could be wrong. But seems to make sense for ACU and Tarleton to at least give it a lot of thought.
mccowboys
RedRiverLa said:

mccowboys said:

At that time, with so many teams leaving the Southland Conference, if McNeese had left, the conference would have completely fallen apart. The Southland Conference recognized the importance of McNeese to the conference and appreciated its decision to remain. Our athletic director is a wheeler and dealer and he made a good deal for McNeese, which had just gone through back to back devastating hurricanes.
I don't think it would be a good look for a team that deserted the conference to come back and start making demands. That would be quite delusional. Par for the course for SFA.

Yep, the quality of the Cowboys wins this year really proved itself in the NCAA tourney this year. Guess Wade didn't make enough 'smart ass' offers.
Will Wade took a program that hadn't had a winning season (a winning season!) in 15 years!!! And had won 6 games the year before he arrived. And in one season produced a 30-4 NCAA playoff team. I'm not worried about him. Yep! He learned a lot about that loss to perennial power Gonzaga, and on the way be to LC on the plane he started making plans to get the players needed to win a playoff game. He has signed experience and height. Check out who he has brought in. It will be nice seeing how McNeese matches up with the Lumberjacks in MBB, a team I have long admired. Back when y'all were in the SLC, I often chose to watch the Lumberjack and LadyJacks games rather than ours. Sad, but true.

But y'all are basketball-centric. What I said about Schroyer is true. The SLC is thriving and we aren't having to join with another conference in order to put a football schedule together like the WAC and ASun are. What a mess the SLC would have been in if McNeese had left when you did, and where on earth would McNeese and SFA be heading back to now? Y'all can dislike us as much as you want, but McNeese saved the SLC and helped to bring Lamar back, and helped to make sure you have a place to return to now when your experience with the WAC didn't pan out -- for whatever reasons. You still have friends in the WAC and can schedule nonconference games with them.

Oh, I know. The basketball NET isn't as good as the WAC, but the WAC was a one-bid league just like the SLC. Maybe with y'all back, everyone else will really have to amp up their game. Lamar, Corpus, Nicholls, and SLU are usually pretty tough and HCU has a new coach and UIW has been recruiting some good talent. Should be a fun basketball season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.