Southland Conference here we come

12,944 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BigJack85
Ginger & Jack(s)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From an educator's and former coach's standpoint, I have always worried about what the extensive travel might be doing to the student/athletes' studies and ability to attend class. Also, with most of the family members of these student/athletes being from Texas, I can imagine that they were unable to attend as many away events. I attended a football game in Cedar City one time flying in to Vegas and it was a trek to get there. SFA has done well in several sports in the past as a member of SLC so being in that conference or another Texas-exclusive conference would remedy some of those things.
No-look
One of the stipulations SFA needs to present if returning to the SLC is that every school use ESPN + for game viewing.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

From what I am being told by someone who went to the introduction of the new AD, it was all but announced that we are going back to the SLC. Was anybody there that can confirm this? Also if y'all did go, how was Mr. McBroom?
I was there. I was VERY impressed with McBroom. McBroom was polished and professional. He intimated that "regionalization" was important in determining our next affiliation. Beyond that, nothing was said that would confirm that a decision was made. That being said, there was plenty of banter amongst the crowd regarding conference affiliation.

He did speak to our need for updated facilities. It sounds like he already has ideas on what we need and how to tackle the funding issues associated with getting to a better place with football/track and others.

I'm sure there are other "Sawmillers" that made the reception. I'd like to hear them chime in on what they picked up.
I was there. No denying it, or reason to, since I am in one of the photos posted on all of the social media platforms. I spoke very briefly with Dr. Weaver before things really started. That was my first time to meet him. Very comfortable to talk to, and remained very focused on us in spite of all the people around him. Our time with McBroom was little more than an introduction. My wife and I spent a reasonable amount of time with McBroom's wife. Angela (Angie) is very personable, sharp, and truly excited about coming to Nacogdoches.

McBroom said all of the right things in his comments about student-athlete success, facilities, and winning. He wants all of the facilities to match what basketball has. He wants to get to the point in every sport that a recruit can be honestly told that they have a chance to win a championship at SFA. Every sport.

He brought up conference realignment stating that he knew it was a question everyone had. Initially, he said what I expected, that they would do what is best for the student-athletes, what best promotes SFA, and what brings the greatest value to the community. Then he said what I did not expect. Paraphrasing, he said that it made sense for all involved, including families and friends of student-athletes, to be in a conference with a footprint that 80% of the students live within. He then turned to Dr. Weaver and said something like, "I probably just got in trouble for saying too much." Dr. Weaver simply smiled. Draw your own conclusions. I would never share any of that except it was said in an open to the public setting.

McBroom had a meeting with the head coaches in the morning. I spoke to most of them. There is a general air of excitement about the future.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

From what I am being told by someone who went to the introduction of the new AD, it was all but announced that we are going back to the SLC. Was anybody there that can confirm this? Also if y'all did go, how was Mr. McBroom?
I was there. I was VERY impressed with McBroom. McBroom was polished and professional. He intimated that "regionalization" was important in determining our next affiliation. Beyond that, nothing was said that would confirm that a decision was made. That being said, there was plenty of banter amongst the crowd regarding conference affiliation.

He did speak to our need for updated facilities. It sounds like he already has ideas on what we need and how to tackle the funding issues associated with getting to a better place with football/track and others.

I'm sure there are other "Sawmillers" that made the reception. I'd like to hear them chime in on what they picked up.
I was there. No denying it, or reason to, since I am in one of the photos posted on all of the social media platforms. I spoke very briefly with Dr. Weaver before things really started. That was my first time to meet him. Very comfortable to talk to, and remained very focused on us in spite of all the people around him. Our time with McBroom was little more than an introduction. My wife and I spent a reasonable amount of time with McBroom's wife. Angela (Angie) is very personable, sharp, and truly excited about coming to Nacogdoches.

McBroom said all of the right things in his comments about student-athlete success, facilities, and winning. He wants all of the facilities to match what basketball has. He wants to get to the point in every sport that a recruit can be honestly told that they have a chance to win a championship at SFA. Every sport.

He brought up conference realignment stating that he knew it was a question everyone had. Initially, he said what I expected, that they would do what is best for the student-athletes, what best promotes SFA, and what brings the greatest value to the community. Then he said what I did not expect. Paraphrasing, he said that it made sense for all involved, including families and friends of student-athletes, to be in a conference with a footprint that 80% of the students live within. He then turned to Dr. Weaver and said something like, "I probably just got in trouble for saying too much." Dr. Weaver simply smiled. Draw your own conclusions. I would never share any of that except it was said in an open to the public setting.

McBroom had a meeting with the head coaches in the morning. I spoke to most of them. There is a general air of excitement about the future.

Well said.
TallTexan
That's a great insight.

TallTexan
No-look said:

One of the stipulations SFA needs to present if returning to the SLC is that every school use ESPN + for game viewing.

So much this. Give me ESPN+ or broadcast on YouTube. 6 bucks for one NWST game? No thanks.
SCH890
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

Beautiful put. Well regardless of what happens. Im happy to be a Lumberjack and gives me great joy to see all the coaches excited about the future. This makes me feel like we have a bright future ahead. No matter where we end up. So lets keep it that way.
ServiceJack88
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

ServiceJack88 said:

Well put 76! There is a bright future ahead for SFA Athletics and I hope everyone continues to stay along for this adventure!
SFA88
I still don't like it because the Southland is MUCH weaker in basketball. I also think it is weaker at some of the women's sports. It is probably better in football (I haven't really looked closely). If we can't afford the WAC, we can't afford it and that's all there is to it. This should shutdown any FBS talk for several years. If we can't afford the WAC, we are extremely far from affording FBS.
Ljacks&Longnecks
If anyone is still talking FBS football for SFA, they are daffy.

Thanks to those that reported from the get together.

The 80 mile radius comment would leave me to believe that the SLC it will be. No other conference would come close to that dynamic. Even if the Texas League that McBroom championed does ever come to pass, I don't see how it could become real that quickly.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

If anyone is still talking FBS football for SFA, they are daffy.

Thanks to those that reported from the get together.

The 80 mile radius comment would leave me to believe that the SLC it will be. No other conference would come close to that dynamic. Even if the Texas League that McBroom championed does ever come to pass, I don't see how it could become real that quickly.

I think the "Texas League" is dead. For at least a while.
TallTexan
Depending on how many Texas WAC teams join us in a Southland move, we might have the Texas league in all but name soon enough.

Could be 9-10 Texas schools vs 5 Louisiana ones.
SFA88
TallTexan said:

Depending on how many Texas WAC teams join us in a Southland move, we might have the Texas league in all but name soon enough.

It's a bigger Gulf Star.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

TallTexan said:

It's a bigger Gulf Star.

Haha. Somebody remembers that POS. Funny. At that time we thought the SLC was our savior.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.