Southland Conference here we come

28,997 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Ginger & Jack(s)
SCH890
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been out camping since Wednesday but it seems like the move has been reasonable well. I assume Abilene stays in the WAC for this year and follows SFA to SLC. Tarleton I know has bigger ambitions but I bet they settle for SLC for at least stability for now probably the same for UTA. Ill have to listen to the interview. I hope this is only a stepping stone for some stability under our ground and we keep growing that SFA brand. Excited for this year regardless where we are at. (Hopefully some games in Oregon so I can go watch!)
TallTexan
Call the new AD and tell him you want some buy games in Eugene or Corvallis.
SCH890
Haha Bet. For sure something I would love to see.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

Been out camping since Wednesday but it seems like the move has been reasonable well. I assume Abilene stays in the WAC for this year and follows SFA to SLC. Tarleton I know has bigger ambitions but I bet they settle for SLC for at least stability for now probably the same for UTA. Ill have to listen to the interview. I hope this is only a stepping stone for some stability under our ground and we keep growing that SFA brand. Excited for this year regardless where we are at. (Hopefully some games in Oregon so I can go watch!)

Glad to hear our Pacific Northwest contingent is alive and well. For the record, I lived in Seattle (1999-2001). Beautiful.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I found it interesting that McBroom said that 80% of SFA's 120,000 alumni live east of I-35. (I think those are the numbers he used.) In hindsight, that makes perfect sense, but I'd simply never heard it stated before.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

On facility improvements... He specifically said the initial focus will be on football, baseball, softball, and soccer. Good to hear.

Something like this would be nice…Good for ACU

https://acusports.com/news/2024/5/17/acu-announces-phase-one-of-baseball-upgrade.aspx
SCH890
cboothe09 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

On facility improvements... He specifically said the initial focus will be on football, baseball, softball, and soccer. Good to hear.

Something like this would be nice…Good for ACU

https://acusports.com/news/2024/5/17/acu-announces-phase-one-of-baseball-upgrade.aspx
Phase one is just getting one on campus and then building one from there. Hell if its simple bleacher seats I would go. No idea where you would place it though.
mccowboys
mccowboys
https://www.americanpress.com/2024/06/06/jim-gazzolo-column-sfa-will-find-new-southland/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1V8kev5JIThhtVr60dmep19pFk7ipzFn0SL7z6anY0S4VWrQp8y_7f_h8_aem_AbLOG0YFONuRQYOhX1yMkFzndFjUW7Nb0v-2tq9nMkdZh2ZBIkodH91dWX85sNNzveQM56a5Qlda9Iex8zrxR8et
SFA Jack Fanatic
The writer of this article wants us to lower our "special finger", then immediately proceeds to put down SFA every way he can think of. What a warm welcome back!

Think I'll keep my special finger extended in his direction at least for a little while...
No-look
Should be a couple bye games for the Jacks on the hardwood. lol
mccowboys
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The writer of this article wants us to lower our "special finger", then immediately proceeds to put down SFA every way he can think of. What a warm welcome back!

Think I'll keep my special finger extended in his direction at least for a little while...
LOL

Truth hurts?
BigJack85
mccowboys said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

LOL

Truth hurts?

I need a link to the McCowboys fan site, so I can mix it up.

Can you provide such a link? Google did not lead me to it.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
mccowboys said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

LOL

Truth hurts?

My point was that the writer of that article is apparently ignorant about the difference in the level of competition that SFA faced in the WAC vs. what McNeese faced in the SLC in all sports the last three years. He seemed to assume the levels were even. They were vastly different.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

The SLC commisioner exudes enthusiasm. I can see why the Southland schools seem to love him.
SoLittleChance
I live in Stephenville. I've been taking it in the shorts from some Tarleton buddies. We turned tail and left the WAC like cowards. That's what I listen to every day. Now we're getting punked by some intern journalist from BF LC. Enrollment nosediving. Athletic budget to follow(just watch). We are adrift, and the Southland floatie is the first one we grab? I can't believe there's not more outrage! I hate this!!! We took a giant step backwards. I don't even know what else to say. We can bus to our games? Fantastic!
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA has announced that South Hall and Hall 10 are both reopening due to increased enrollment and applications.
That seems to contradict your statement about enrollment nosediving.
With GCU and Seattle U leaving the WAC next year the WAC appears to be on life support at the moment.
I liked being in the WAC but the "bill of goods" we were sold about the WAC (a 2 team conference for the Big Dance, great football conference) did not turn out to be the case.
I'm lukewarm about the SLC but there has been a change in leadership there since we left so perhaps the SLC can trend forward.

One can expect to catch some grief on returning to SLC after giving them the back of our hand. It's natural human nature,(although Lamar and UIW can't speak as they did the same.). Your Tarleton friends are likely pissed that they didn't get the invite to FBS yet that they all seem to believe they deserve. With all the uncertainty in the NCAA right now with conference alignments, NIL, Transfer portal, returning to a conference that seems to be a constant right now is not the worst thing SFA could have done. I do agree that we are not through seeing changes in and around SFA but we can only watch and wait until it plays out.
BigJack85
SoLittleChance said:

I live in Stephenville. I've been taking it in the shorts from some Tarleton buddies. We turned tail and left the WAC like cowards. That's what I listen to every day. Now we're getting punked by some intern journalist from BF LC. Enrollment nosediving. Athletic budget to follow(just watch). We are adrift, and the Southland floatie is the first one we grab? I can't believe there's not more outrage! I hate this!!! We took a giant step backwards. I don't even know what else to say. We can bus to our games? Fantastic!

The alarm bells are a little out of hand. The 2023 freshmen class was the largest since 2018. This years class appears to be at least as big. Sure enrollment took a hit during Covid (we are a huge {% wise} on campus) university. Unlike Sam, NT etc.

The UTS money is already having an impact and we've yet to begin building. 2025 - 2027 will be good years for SFA.

The new president - athletic director, seemed to be aligned. It is likely that some of weaker facilities (football & baseball) will get renovations or significant rebuilds. The amount of money being invested in SFA is truly staggering . It won't be long before the positive ripple effects are being felt across the campus and beyond.

We should all feel optimistic about the future of our Alma Mater.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SoLittleChance said:

What the heck are you talking about? Quit listening to heresay and start paying attention to what's actually happening. Enrollment nosediving? No, it's not. Two dorms are being reopened to accommodate all of the incoming freshmen. The UT system will be infusing millions into the university for years to come, including the athletic budget. Look at what being in the UT system has done for UTRGV in facilities and enrollment. Leaving the WAC was primarily driven by the logistics and expense of travel in such an expansive conference (Texas to California to Washington), including "minor" non-revenue sports. Participate in and pay more attention to the information that's shared in these forums and you'll have a better outlook on the whole situation.
Ginger & Jack(s)
Well-said, and true.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.