Southland Conference here we come

29,006 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Ginger & Jack(s)
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

TallTexan said:

Had some time during the Stars Intermission periods so ran some numbers on travel in two conference realignment scenarios.

SFA + Southland & Texas WAC.

Texas WAC is the Texas WAC schools + the Texas Southland schools.

SFA has, down to the mile, the same average travel in each conference.
HCU is within a mile.

RGV, UIW, Commerce, & Corpus all have better travel in the Texas WAC, averaging between 45-98 mile savings EACH WAY, per trip. I'd bet that's several dozen trips per year, per school, with an average savings of 90 minutes to 3ish hours each game.

Lamar actually fares better in the Southland with around 70 miles each way saved vs the Texas WAC.

Idk if that's enough for those 6 schools to take WAC Commish's call, but I hope those calls are made.
What would a Texas WAC scenario look like?

Probably SFA, Tarleton, ACU, UTA letting the other WAC schools out penalty free, including GCU/Seattle.

Then you'd probably need to sweeten the pot for the Texas SLC schools some. Ballparking, there are 3.3 mil worth of NCAA units left from the NMSU & GCU NCAA wins. I think you could use that to offer each Southland Texas school around 600k to move. Bc you'd obviously want that money to still benefit the entire WAC, you could stipulate that it's used for expenses related to MBB & WBB or football. The 3 sports you're really trying to build your brand on.

Make no mistake. The WAC is on the ropes. If SFA jumps, you might lose enough teams that the WAC dissolves entirely.

But I feel like the Texas WAC angle might be the only option for the league to survive past the next 3 years. And it's a better home for all the Texas WAC & Texas Southland teams than the Southland itself is. It's a decent bus league in one of the fastest growing states in the country.

Me: "Hey, Texan. What time is it?"

Tall Texan: "Later. First, let me explain how Big Ben was conceived and constructed."

Either of you two , making it to Nacogdoches on Wednesday for the AD (and return to SLC) introduction?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'll actually be in San Augustine that day. But I'll have to head home before the reception starts. I have a volunteer obligation the next morning. Wish the reception would have been earlier.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

TallTexan said:

Had some time during the Stars Intermission periods so ran some numbers on travel in two conference realignment scenarios.

HCU is within a mile.

RGV, UIW, Commerce, & Corpus all have better travel in the Texas WAC, averaging between 45-98 mile savings EACH WAY, per trip. I'd bet that's several dozen trips per year, per school, with an average savings of 90 minutes to 3ish hours each game.

Lamar actually fares better in the Southland with around 70 miles each way saved vs the Texas WAC.

Idk if that's enough for those 6 schools to take WAC Commish's call, but I hope those calls are made.

Probably SFA, Tarleton, ACU, UTA letting the other WAC schools out penalty free, including GCU/Seattle.

Then you'd probably need to sweeten the pot for the Texas SLC schools some. Ballparking, there are 3.3 mil worth of NCAA units left from the NMSU & GCU NCAA wins. I think you could use that to offer each Southland Texas school around 600k to move. Bc you'd obviously want that money to still benefit the entire WAC, you could stipulate that it's used for expenses related to MBB & WBB or football. The 3 sports you're really trying to build your brand on.

Make no mistake. The WAC is on the ropes. If SFA jumps, you might lose enough teams that the WAC dissolves entirely.

But I feel like the Texas WAC angle might be the only option for the league to survive past the next 3 years. And it's a better home for all the Texas WAC & Texas Southland teams than the Southland itself is. It's a decent bus league in one of the fastest growing states in the country.

Tall Texan: "Later. First, let me explain how Big Ben was conceived and constructed."

Either of you two , making it to Nacogdoches on Wednesday for the AD (and return to SLC) introduction?

Unfortunately not.

But if they do the summer tour again this year I'll definitely try to make it to one of them.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

TallTexan said:

HCU is within a mile.

Unfortunately not.

But if they do the summer tour again this year I'll definitely try to make it to one of them.

Send me your questions! I'll be there.
Kat1990
Amazing thing still to see SFA going back to the Southland
SFA pushed to make the move 3 years ago and it made sense.

I wonder how McN will like this?

Since they have been able to run the Southland how they wanted it the last few years?
BigJack85
Kat1990 said:

Since they have been able to run the Southland how they wanted it the last few years?
Nobody knows what's going to happen until it does. I think we (SFA) are going to have a couple of schools joining us. Probably ACU and Tarleton. UTA is looking towards the MVC. Maybe that happens, who knows?

Consolidation is in full swing, in the ranks of NCAA D1 schools. That may include, G5 and the upper tier of FCS. The G5 schools will likely maintain a unique (separate) identity for a while. Eventually, the value of size/mass will come to call. On its own the G5 is about 60 schools. With the truly feasible FCS schools (about 75) you would have an entertaining and possible revenue positive division of football.

Tick tock tick tock.
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

Kat1990 said:

Nobody knows what's going to happen until it does. I think we (SFA) are going to have a couple of schools joining us. Probably ACU and Tarleton. UTA is looking towards the MVC. Maybe that happens, who knows?

Consolidation is in full swing, in the ranks of NCAA D1 schools. That may include, G5 and the upper tier of FCS. The G5 schools will likely maintain a unique (separate) identity for a while. Eventually, the value of size/mass will come to call. On its own the G5 is about 60 schools. With the truly feasible FCS schools (about 75) you would have an entertaining and possible revenue positive division of football.

Tick tock tick tock.
Honestly I can see UTA following SFA especially being the same school system. Keep them close together. MVC would only be alright fit for them. But travel may be tough.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

BigJack85 said:

Kat1990 said:

Tick tock tick tock.
Honestly I can see UTA following SFA especially being the same school system. Keep them close together. MVC would only be alright fit for them. But travel may be tough.

They (UTA) was "supposedly" #4 on the MVC list when Belmont, Murray and Valparaiso joined in 2022. The MVC has coveted, having a member in Texas. I would t overlook the possibility of UTA heading that direction.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Asked Matt Brown if the SFA & SLC rumors were just off-season rumors or if there was real smoke there.

https://bsky.app/profile/mattbrown.bsky.social/post/3kr2h3fviot2y

Not sure if the BlueSky link will show up so his answer was "Tons". He's made calls and will have an update next week.

We haven't had an AD for a while. Who could have been involved in such discussions on our end??
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Asked Matt Brown if the SFA & SLC rumors were just off-season rumors or if there was real smoke there.

https://bsky.app/profile/mattbrown.bsky.social/post/3kr2h3fviot2y

Not sure if the BlueSky link will show up so his answer was "Tons". He's made calls and will have an update next week.

We haven't had an AD for a while. Who could have been involved in such discussions on our end??

Gina Oglesbee???? Maybe.
TallTexan
Typically these conversations happen at the presidential level. I'd imagine that it may have been Weaver leading convos before his official start date.
NacMan
TallTexan said:

Typically these conversations happen at the presidential level. I'd imagine that it may have been Weaver leading convos before his official start date.
Almost certainly would have been Weaver leading discussions. Even before he was named the finalist back in Feb, we on campus were informed that Oglesbee would be making no big decisions due to the pending presidential change.
TallTexan
New Matt Brown extra points out this morning.

Notable: MVC favorite is UMKC. Others on the list could be UCA, Little Rock, and Northern Kentucky. UTA could also get another look.

Regarding the WAC, SFA could make an announcement as soon as next week and we may stay an extra year if we do decide to leave so that our other conference members have time to find a new home. Southland would be ok with this per reports.

ACU, Tarleton, & SUU coaches have told recruits they'll probably not be in WAC by 2026.

WAC leaders are hoping for a stay of execution to wait out PAC2 and ACC decisions. Notably, there's also a thought that Summit league may look at sponsoring football independently of MVFC.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Man, that's a lot to digest. We'll just have to grab some popcorn and see if/how it all plays out.

"stay of execution". Ha!
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

New Matt Brown extra points out this morning.

Notable: MVC favorite is UMKC. Others on the list could be UCA, Little Rock, and Northern Kentucky. UTA could also get another look.

Regarding the WAC, SFA could make an announcement as soon as next week and we may stay an extra year if we do decide to leave so that our other conference members have time to find a new home. Southland would be ok with this per reports.

ACU, Tarleton, & SUU coaches have told recruits they'll probably not be in WAC by 2026.

WAC leaders are hoping for a stay of execution to wait out PAC2 and ACC decisions. Notably, there's also a thought that Summit league may look at sponsoring football independently of MVFC.

More questions than answers. Yikes.
TallTexan
Ya I think the first answer is going to be either an announcement that SFA is moving or an announcement that SFA is staying in the WAC for next year.

If it's the latter, it's probably SFA and the Texas WAC contingent evaluating all options and kicking the tires on them or trying to negotiate the best deal with the Southland in some form or fashion.
TallTexan
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2024/05/13/what-are-the-options-for-the-texas-teams-in-the-wac
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Ya I think the first answer is going to be either an announcement that SFA is moving or an announcement that SFA is staying in the WAC for next year.

If it's the latter, it's probably SFA and the Texas WAC contingent evaluating all options and kicking the tires on them or trying to negotiate the best deal with the Southland in some form or fashion.
I don't know why, but I think it plays out like this:

ACU, SFA and Tarleton join the SLC. Probably beginning 2025. If not, then Brian Thornton does have something going on. Maybe the Denver rumor has legs. This sends Denver to the western branch of the WAC. Maybe a bigger surprise and Thornton has something brewed up with ORU or Central Oklahoma. UCO is not a perfect fit, but would add a cool old school football stadium in a decent market (OK City). Enrollment of about 11,000.

UTA ends up in the MVC. The MVC is intrigued by the possibility of having a 1. Texas based school 2. Enrollment of 40,000 3. In the huge DFW metroplex.
TallTexan
I feel you'd have a hard time convincing anyone with a current conference home to take a chance on the WAC unless you had a really good plan for stability.

I just don't think Denver or ORU deliver that long term stability enough that they'd be willing to make the jump.

I could see it pared with something like a Texification of the WAC, where you go and get the Texas Southland schools and then pitch expansion to 14 with ORU, Central Ok, Little Rock, & UCA.

But that's still a lot of moving targets to hit all at once.

Thornton would have to be a hell of a poker player to pull that off.
TallTexan
I dismissed this until I re-read it, but this is a blog article about a Texas Athletic conference featuring the President of WTAMU and our new AD.

Previously thought just the President wrote it when it was published in 2022.
https://walterwendler.com/2022/04/a-texas-athletic-conference/
SCH890
TallTexan said:

I dismissed this until I re-read it, but this is a blog article about a Texas Athletic conference featuring the President of WTAMU and our new AD.

Honestly i could see it shaping up to be this way. But in the end for now I think its SLC. I think we will leave early. Kind of what I hope to see versus dealing with more shake up on how the WAC. ACU may just follow us. Probably waiting for our decision.
TallTexan
There's definitely a case to be made for "hi, we'll come back but only for the right deal and maybe you get ACU & Tarleton out of it" vs "holy cow, the Utah schools left and now we need a home ASAP".

SFA/ACU is a good deal for the Southland. Tarleton too, but they believe their own hype too much sometimes.

TallTexan
The one bright spot for me for the Southland setup (and maybe the WAC now that GCU is gone) is going back to basketball double headers.
SFASawmillGuy
Some positive notes about us potentially returning to the Southland, we will once again own that league. It's a bad league. We may not win every conference title in every sport but we owned the league overall which is why we always dominated the commissioners cup.

Basketball will see a lot of the old success again. But it will be at the cost of winning a bad league. No multi bids. No potential higher seeding. We will be at best a 12 seed most years again even with an undefeated season.

Football probably would've won the SLC this past season, so we should see a lot of success there too, again, at the cost of saying we won a bad league. I worry how playing lower competition will hurt our effectiveness in the postseason, but I guess we need to get back there first to see. Plus getting the NWST rivalry back will be nice. It really sucked not having a yearly rivalry to look forward to.

It won't be all bad, but it will hurt our progress as an athletic department I believe. It should be a temporary move until we can try again with a bigger, better conference. I just hope it's a conference with more recognizable names and much less travel involved.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Some positive notes about us potentially returning to the Southland, we will once again own that league. It's a bad league. We may not win every conference title in every sport but we owned the league overall which is why we always dominated the commissioners cup.

Basketball will see a lot of the old success again. But it will be at the cost of winning a bad league. No multi bids. No potential higher seeding. We will be at best a 12 seed most years again even with an undefeated season.

Football probably would've won the SLC this past season, so we should see a lot of success there too, again, at the cost of saying we won a bad league. I worry how playing lower competition will hurt our effectiveness in the postseason, but I guess we need to get back there first to see. Plus getting the NWST rivalry back will be nice. It really sucked not having a yearly rivalry to look forward to.

It won't be all bad, but it will hurt our progress as an athletic department I believe. It should be a temporary move until we can try again with a bigger, better conference. I just hope it's a conference with more recognizable names and much less travel involved.

If ACU SFA and Tarleton come as a package deal, the SLC would be a 14 team conference. I would make sense to divide into two divisions. With Louisiana having 5 schools it's likely that SFA and Lamar would end up in a "eastern SLC".

Could be interesting.
No-look
Would like to stay in the WAC but probably not gonna happen. The WAC is a one bid league also. Return to the SLC would be somewhat easier schedule in football and basketball. I don't think we could have won the SLC in basketball this past year so it would still be competitive.
TallTexan
To be fair, WAC is good but easier to win with the Lopes headed out.
No-look
TallTexan said:

To be fair, WAC is good but easier to win with the Lopes headed out.
that's true. Other teams couldn't compete with NIL
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

I shared this with Matt Brown on socials & mentioned that SFA's new AD co_wrote the post and his response was "he's still making calls about that right now".

SLC might not be a done deal. Maybe I'm reading too much into it MB's reply but I'd absolutely love a Texas only FCS conference.
TallTexan
ServiceJack88
From what I am being told by someone who went to the introduction of the new AD, it was all but announced that we are going back to the SLC. Was anybody there that can confirm this? Also if y'all did go, how was Mr. McBroom?
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

From what I am being told by someone who went to the introduction of the new AD, it was all but announced that we are going back to the SLC. Was anybody there that can confirm this? Also if y'all did go, how was Mr. McBroom?
I was there. I was VERY impressed with McBroom. McBroom was polished and professional. He intimated that "regionalization" was important in determining our next affiliation. Beyond that, nothing was said that would confirm that a decision was made. That being said, there was plenty of banter amongst the crowd regarding conference affiliation.

He did speak to our need for updated facilities. It sounds like he already has ideas on what we need and how to tackle the funding issues associated with getting to a better place with football/track and others.

I'm sure there are other "Sawmillers" that made the reception. I'd like to hear them chime in on what they picked up.
nacluth
I didn't go myself but I talked to someone who was there and he made a big deal about making sure we were playing to our markets (Dallas, Houston, East Texas). There was nothing specific about the Southland but it was clear we were going to be in a Texas conference and fast.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I didn't go myself but I talked to someone who was there and he made a big deal about making sure we were playing to our markets (Dallas, Houston, East Texas). There was nothing specific about the Southland but it was clear we were going to be in a Texas conference and fast.

Smart.

Makes sense and was the original goal even for the WAC.

Honestly if ACU & Tarleton come along, that's 9 Texas schools out of 14 and every FCS program in Texas outside of the SWAC schools.

It's not the worst setup in the world with the new leadership.
SCH890
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Smart.

Makes sense and was the original goal even for the WAC.

Honestly if ACU & Tarleton come along, that's 9 Texas schools out of 14 and every FCS program in Texas outside of the SWAC schools.

It's not the worst setup in the world with the new leadership.
and this is what I don't mind at all. Sure its under the Title of Southland but everything will be local and it'll be easy for Alumni to get to away games. Sure I may be in Oregon for now but eventually Ill be back in Texas and will be eager to travel to some games for SFA. Hell if the play Oregon or Oregon State you know i'll be there. Southland may always be ****land but atleast in the end we are playing close to home. As well hoping our domination stick arounds for all sports for years to come.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.