Southland Conference here we come

4,402 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by BigJack85
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sure sounds like we are headed that direction. "SFA expedites AD decision, realignment issue".
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
ServiceJack88
Wonder what kind of "package" the SLC is offering.
No-look
SLC basketball away games were a hassle getting good quality viewing. Could it be another conference in mind?
corleycl
Please, please not the Southland...
AxeEm99
Going back to the SLC makes a lot more sense on multiple fronts!! I hope they move in this direction!!
SCH890
Makes sense for southland but I'm more worried about our new AD. That NEEDS to be a slam dunk hire for our university.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Sure sounds like we are headed that direction. "SFA expedites AD decision, realignment issue".

I'm in the dark on this. Who were you quoting, 85?
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

I'm in the dark on this. Who were you quoting, 85?

D1 ticker. Off a Twitter post.
SFASawmillGuy
That would be an awful move for multiple reasons. For one, we would dominate the conference again in all sports, but the whole reason for the move was we were tired of beating up on the worst teams.

How weak does that make us look that we moved on to bigger and better things only to come back with our tail between our legs?

I agree the WAC has not panned out like we hoped, you can blame McNeese backing out and Sam Houston's departure for that, but the SLC shouldn't have been the safety net.
AxeEm99
We are definately not ready for an FBS move. We are mediocre at best if we stay in the WAC, or we move back to the Southland and fill our glass cabinets with hardware every year. I would rather have the hardware....
ServiceJack88
While it's hard to see us go back to the Southland it's a completely different leadership team at the SLC. Back in the day Tom Barnett was horrible and didn't give a crap about growth.
If we do go back to the SLC something needs to be done with the "bottom feeders" that bring down the conference. HCU, UNO, etc!
It would be nice to get some championships again!
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

That would be an awful move for multiple reasons. For one, we would dominate the conference again in all sports, but the whole reason for the move was we were tired of beating up on the worst teams.

How weak does that make us look that we moved on to bigger and better things only to come back with our tail between our legs?

I agree the WAC has not panned out like we hoped, you can blame McNeese backing out and Sam Houston's departure for that, but the SLC shouldn't have been the safety net.

To be clear, I'm totally with you. The WAC is not that bad. We just "have to have" more Texas Or Louisiana based teams. The conference overall needs to be at 12 teams to make that (divisional alignment) a reality. Short of a commitment from a team with both basketball history and geographic proximity (the only I can think of is Oral Roberts) and they appear to happy in the Summit League.

I feel our options are limited. If ACU joins the SLC with us, we might move the aggregate SLC NET from 30 to 28…. maybe. Still 14 slots below the WAC. DOWNER.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Can't wait to see how this plays out.
Would like to see the WAC survive but I can live with SLC.
FBS would be foolish and stupid move so sincerely hope that is not on the table.
jboy93
I'm from the old school belief that if we are good, we will succeed no matter what conference we are in. We were 3 seconds from the Sweet Sixteen (yes it still brings a tear to my eyes) being from the Southland. I just think it makes more sense geographically to consider coming back to the SLC. The commissioner seems like a person that can make some changes for the better.
SFA88
Now we can go back to playing NAIA teams and pounding our chest about a 20 win season and go crazy when we win a weak Southland. I can't wait.
SCH890
jboy93 said:

I'm from the old school belief that if we are good, we will succeed no matter what conference we are in. We were 3 seconds from the Sweet Sixteen (yes it still brings a tear to my eyes) being from the Southland. I just think it makes more sense geographically to consider coming back to the SLC. The commissioner seems like a person that can make some changes for the better.
I agree. It does seem like a whole new Southland besides the name. It still will forever '****land' to me. But the grass may actually be greener over there.
TallTexan
ServiceJack88 said:

While it's hard to see us go back to the Southland it's a completely different leadership team at the SLC. Back in the day Tom Barnett was horrible and didn't give a crap about growth.
If we do go back to the SLC something needs to be done with the "bottom feeders" that bring down the conference. HCU, UNO, etc!
It would be nice to get some championships again!

The Southland commissioner now is a million times better than when Burnett was asleep at the wheel.

If that change had been made a few years earlier I don't think we'd have left.
No-look
I still think we could compete in the WAC. We won a share of the title Kenmil's senior year. Year two we finished with about seven players and some of them were hobbling. No excuse for this past year but we did have several one or two Point conference loses…GCU Seattle etc… with a good healthy squad we could be competitive. Anxious to see what we do this year wheather we stay or go…
BigJack85
No-look said:

I still think we could compete in the WAC. We won a share of the title Kenmil's senior year. Year two we finished with about seven players and some of them were hobbling. No excuse for this past year but we did have several one or two Point conference loses…GCU Seattle etc… with a good healthy squad we could be competitive. Anxious to see what we do this year wheather we stay or go…

Seems a little late to bail out of the WAC. I would think we would be moving into the SLC 2025-2026. Just guessing.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Going back to first post in this thread, if SFA is indeed expediting the AD search, I hope a thorough search has been nearly completed. This AD hire is too important to rush. Need a quality hire not just a body because we got in a hurry.

Also, I'm wondering if our athletic budget is under the gun from the UT system and perhaps that is why the SLC is being discussed . I havent seen anything except what BigJack mentioned but travel budget would be reduced if we go back to SLC.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Going back to first post in this thread, if SFA is indeed expediting the AD search, I hope a thorough search has been nearly completed. This AD hire is too important to rush. Need a quality hire not just a body because we got in a hurry.

Also, I'm wondering if our athletic budget is under the gun from the UT system and perhaps that is why the SLC is being discussed . I havent seen anything except what BigJack mentioned but travel budget would be reduced if we go back to SLC.

Expedite yes. Rush…. I'm not sure. This hire has probably been brewing since Weaver became official. 4-6 weeks seems like plenty of time to find an exceptional candidate.
TallTexan
I think 76 mentioned a 6 week search at one point and this would certainly be around that time frame.

TallTexan
The Southland isn't going anywhere. No need to rush that decision.

Personally I'd wait until Clemson/FSU work out their ACC lawsuits and PAC2 expansion before making a decision one way or another.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Also, I'm wondering if our athletic budget is under the gun from the UT system and perhaps that is why the SLC is being discussed .

To my knowledge, no one outside of the Sawmillers on this forum has been discussing going back to the SLC. If they are, they sure have been tight-lipped about it. Am I wrong?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Also, I'm wondering if our athletic budget is under the gun from the UT system and perhaps that is why the SLC is being discussed .

To my knowledge, no one outside of the Sawmillers on this forum has been discussing going back to the SLC. If they are, they sure have been tight-lipped about it. Am I wrong?
. Just all speculation as far as I know. May be something different.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

True. I'd call it "educated speculation".
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

True. I'd call it "educated speculation".

If you came from you, 85, I know it's "educated" speculation. (That's a compliment.)
wahlwesle
This is being discussed on the CSN forums as well.

SFA may be on the move (csnbbs.com)
TallTexan
I will say, we better get some dang concessions out of it, like McNeese doesn't get to host every post season tourney from here to eternity.

I don't mind meeting in the middle for basketball tourneys, like Shreveport.
But I'd rather be conferenceless than concede those tourneys to McNeese forever.
mccowboys
Y'all are so funny!
So the WAC is so much more highly rated than the Southland, but both conferences only had one selection for both men and women basketball, right?. So what difference does it make if you were playing schools in a close geographical footprint or traveling all over the country?
You think the Southland Conference should give you something for coming back with your tail between your legs? LOL! Lamar came back and didn't expect anything, And they are just fine and happy to be back in the good SLC, but that is just like you lumberjerks who think you are God's gift to the world.
Another thing that you may have forgotten is how many times in various sports did your men's and women's teams run through the regular season Southland Conference titles, but then go into the Southland Conference tournaments and lose out. I saw that in many sports and many times.
I don't know if your return to the Southland Conference is a done deal or not, but don't expect all of us just to welcome you back with open arms.
mccowboys
At that time, with so many teams leaving the Southland Conference, if McNeese had left, the conference would have completely fallen apart. The Southland Conference recognized the importance of McNeese to the conference and appreciated its decision to remain. Our athletic director is a wheeler and dealer and he made a good deal for McNeese, which had just gone through back to back devastating hurricanes.
I don't think it would be a good look for a team that deserted the conference to come back and start making demands. That would be quite delusional. Par for the course for SFA.
BigJack85
mccowboys said:

At that time, with so many teams leaving the Southland Conference, if McNeese had left, the conference would have completely fallen apart. The Southland Conference recognized the importance of McNeese to the conference and appreciated its decision to remain. Our athletic director is a wheeler and dealer and he made a good deal for McNeese, which had just gone through back to back devastating hurricanes.
I don't think it would be a good look for a team that deserted the conference to come back and start making demands. That would be quite delusional. Par for the course for SFA.

We will see you on the field of play. Or court. Good luck.
No-look
mccowboys said:

Y'all are so funny!
So the WAC is so much more highly rated than the Southland, but both conferences only had one selection for both men and women basketball, right?. So what difference does it make if you were playing schools in a close geographical footprint or traveling all over the country?
You think the Southland Conference should give you something for coming back with your tail between your legs? LOL! Lamar came back and didn't expect anything, And they are just fine and happy to be back in the good SLC, but that is just like you lumberjerks who think you are God's gift to the world.
Another thing that you may have forgotten is how many times in various sports did your men's and women's teams run through the regular season Southland Conference titles, but then go into the Southland Conference tournaments and lose out. I saw that in many sports and many times.
I don't know if your return to the Southland Conference is a done deal or not, but don't expect all of us just to welcome you back with open arms.
could this be the beginning of new rivalry? lol
BigJack85
No-look said:

mccowboys said:

Y'all are so funny!
could this be the beginning of new rivalry? lol

The only public university in the SLC with an enrollment below 6000. McNeese.
TallTexan
Asked Matt Brown if the SFA & SLC rumors were just off-season rumors or if there was real smoke there.

https://bsky.app/profile/mattbrown.bsky.social/post/3kr2h3fviot2y

Not sure if the BlueSky link will show up so his answer was "Tons". He's made calls and will have an update next week.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.