SFA Crowd/GameDay Environment Thread

19,958 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?

And I got one in the very cool entrance ramp.

SFAJack_76
For those that haven't had a chance to see the new facility yet, here is an opportunity.
PurpleOut
Staff
djsfw57 said:

No-look said:

I build homes for a living. The home doesn't just come together. Takes a lot of coordination, planning and lot of detail work….can't help but think we're not getting the same with promoting attendance and game hype.
I reached out to powers that be to make the NMSU game High School and Middle School Day. Didn't get a response… if you're gonna waltz you need to find someone that wants to dance. Lol
Find out what works(GCU etc) and implement it.
No response is disappointing and disheartening. It's almost like they don't care if people come to athletic events or not. And I am not referring to any of our coaches or players.
Not that this is an excuse for anyone, but our staff is still shorthanded overall. And as of late, they've unfortunately also had people out with COVID.
SFAJack_76
As PurpleOut said, the athletic department staff is still short handed, they have had people out with Covid, and one had a child in the hospital in Houston.

Reality.

Pilotgirl
Potentially Throwing something together for THIS Saturday for students only with Kayla's help. I will need some donations for some pizza, so if it pans out (should know by Wednesday) & any of you want to help, email me : Pilotgirl30@gmail.com
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

Potentially Throwing something together for THIS Saturday for students only with Kayla's help. I will need some donations for some pizza, so if it pans out (should know by Wednesday) & any of you want to help, email me : Pilotgirl30@gmail.com
Hope you get better turnout than I did. I offered free pizza for up to 100 students and I think 5 came out.
Pilotgirl
Seeing how the WBB games are less attended than MBB, I don't expect a huge number; however, doing what we can to support the Ladies as well & build relationships with the students. It's an important game & doing our best to throw something together in a matter of days.

It will be a Pizza and Posters table. We will set up at the student entrance (already arranged) and offer free pizza to students & materials to make posters for the games. It's not much at all. But sometimes, something is better than absolutely nothing.

Play Like a Girl event will be much bigger on March 5th.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Seeing how the WBB games are less attended than MBB, I don't expect a huge number; however, doing what we can to support the Ladies as well & build relationships with the students. It's an important game & doing our best to throw something together in a matter of days.

It will be a Pizza and Posters table. We will set up at the student entrance (already arranged) and offer free pizza to students & materials to make posters for the games. It's not much at all. But sometimes, something is better than absolutely nothing.

Play Like a Girl event will be much bigger on March 5th.

Good luck to you. They deserve it. I plan on making at least one game before year end. The student support is so timid. Talked to a few of them Saturday. I was honestly surprised at just how much the kids have changed in 5-7 years
PurpleOut
Staff
Timid is definitely a good word to describe them I think. Even the AXEperience leader that came by the tailgate.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

As PurpleOut said, the athletic department staff is still short handed, they have had people out with Covid, and one had a child in the hospital in Houston.

Reality.

Anticipating the announcement for the replacement for Kevin Meyer soon. Lots of work to do there.
No-look
SFA needs the Central Heights student section to come to a game. Those guys get rowdy.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

SFA needs the Central Heights student section to come to a game. Those guys get rowdy.
They were a good group.
Pilotgirl
Decided to place this here. Some alums decided to create a podcast to help bring attention to women's sports and some other sports that do not receive as much coverage as other. We hope you give it a listen & follow along! We may ask one of you to be a guest panelist sometime! (@dubclub21 on twitter)
https://rss.com/podcasts/thewclub/390359/
No-look
Noticed tonight that Tarleton was a sell out and CBU had over 5000 fans and a huge student section. Heard they were duplicating GCU method. Why can't we hone that skill?
PurpleOut
Staff
Pretty good from the AXEperience guys. Hate that they waited till the last few months to really get it going, but I guess it's better than nothing.

BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Pretty good from the AXEperience guys. Hate that they waited till the last few months to really get it going, but I guess it's better than nothing.

I've noticed a solid improvement from Axeperience over the last 4 home games. Last night , they were impactful. Really made a difference.
Pilotgirl
Yeah, I think it they have done a great job this season/year since they are basically rebuilding an organization. The 2 young ladies running it are very nice & easy to work with. I look forward to collaborating with them in the future.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Yeah, I think it they have done a great job this season/year since they are basically rebuilding an organization. The 2 young ladies running it are very nice & easy to work with. I look forward to collaborating with them in the future.
Ya hoping they can build on it into next year. We should line up some ways to support them for soccer/football and really get the momentum started early next year.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

Ya hoping they can build on it into next year. We should line up some ways to support them for soccer/football and really get the momentum started early next year.
Great idea!
TallTexan
Now we're talking:
Pilotgirl
The W Club is now on Spotify! Follow us there & you will be alerted when new episodes are available. A new episode will be available shortly with a very special guest. I was not at my best as I was fan-girling!
https://open.spotify.com/show/6BWy7wTufgQRrxkdPCgEMB?si=PeBaNErWRguNSSGexiu4oA&utm_source=copy-link
RedRiverLa
As an out-of-towner that comes in for the games, what I have noticed over the last 5 years is that, true we need always need more student parcipation, but Nacogdoches' in-towners have drastically dropped off by huge numbers. We're only several years beyond the Sawmill being packed by the town. Covid is a part, but it's more than that. So my question is for the locals - what has happened that the town no longer shows up? It isn't for lack of some very good teams or the organization doing its best with promotions and half-time entertainment. It's the best entertainment in the area. So, what is it - I'm genuinely asking what you think has changed?
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
nacluth
Two main things:

1.) Ticket price increases. For good or for ill, the perception before was that you could take your family out for next to nothing in the Underwood days (several times a year for free) and see winning basketball.

The people that I talk to that like to come wait for the $5 games because it can be $40 tickets for a family of four before concessions. Is that a lot for good entertainment? No, but there is a perception that Athletics is nickel and diming locals compared to the past.

2.) Internet. I'm sorry but before Keller came just 6 years ago, streaming internet everything was just starting to really catch hold. Now anyone can watch anything at anytime at home or on their phone. It's too easy to say I don't want to get out. COVID just upped the resistance to leaving.

That's my two cents. I'm not against either of my two points personally. I grumble about the ridiculous parking prices (my opinion), but I'm not against the ticket prices. I enjoy the vast internet offerings and as a hardcore fan that made every game I could this year, I feel the pull to just stay home.

It's just a new reality. Markets change. Underwood and Patillo struck gold in their time with bringing people in. Keller, Kellogg, and Ivey are rebuilding as they start a new model. It's ok, but it's going to take time.

As a long time local with my ear to the ground for everything buzzworthy in Nac, more people have asked me about SFA basketball in the last month than in the last 4 years combined (save 2 weeks after Duke). I think the tide is turning. If our teams do something this week (and next!) and we keep our coaches, next year will be a good year.
TallTexan
Right there with you Nacluth. We are sacrificing butts in seats for ticket prices.

Naturally, there is a demand curve for each additional dollar in price. And several times this year we discounted prices to get butts in seats. Which is great. But if you look in November and see that it's $18 for a game? Are you going to check back? Would you even know there's a discounted game unless you were already on our mailing list?

Personally, I'd rather see us move a fast nickle rather than a slow quarter. And then we can push more money into concessions too.

Don't get me started on parking. I have premium parking bc of donations. But we drove the other car once and had to walk. And that's not a short walk. I'm for premium & paid parking, but split the middle lot in half with the fencing. No need to punish our own fans who do showup and already sprung for $18 dollar tickets.
TallTexan
One thing I think we can do too is to take a page out of the Minor League Baseball playbook. Theme nights to draw folks to games. I've mentioned it multiple times to Ivey and even offerred to donate & get more sponsors. Crickets.

You can get a lot of locals & students in for specific events if you have good themes.

• Polar Express Night with hot chocolate & free pictures with Santa(preferably a purple suited santa).
  • Mardi Gras Night with Jazz bands & moon pie giveaways.
  • 80s night, etc

You could probably get away with 10-15 good themes a year, and get special sponsors for each. Some novelty would make sure people show up.

Sidenote, what happened to our other sponsors? Brookshire Brothers "ask the Jacks", or tshirts into the crowd? Don't remember those at all this season iirc?
TallTexan
Also, not having double headers hurts bigly. When I can catch both games on TV instead of driving and having to choose? Or only come to Nac 2 saturdays a month instead of 4? That's big for those of us that drive in.
SFAJack_76
Ticket revenue this year is more than double the previous best year. Concession sales have also been at record levels for both football and basketball. No revenue, no athletics.
No-look
TallTexan said:

One thing I think we can do too is to take a page out of the Minor League Baseball playbook. Theme nights to draw folks to games. I've mentioned it multiple times to Ivey and even offerred to donate & get more sponsors. Crickets.

You can get a lot of locals & students in for specific events if you have good themes.

• Polar Express Night with hot chocolate & free pictures with Santa(preferably a purple suited santa).
  • 80s night, etc

You could probably get away with 10-15 good themes a year, and get special sponsors for each. Some novelty would make sure people show up.

Sidenote, what happened to our other sponsors? Brookshire Brothers "ask the Jacks", or tshirts into the crowd? Don't remember those at all this season iirc?
I still think an area "school game day" on a Saturday would pull a lot of kids and parents. Student section is where the life is. Hopefully that's being addressed. GCU students are electtric and having a blast. We probably don't have the funds GCU has but it can be changed for thr better.
TallTexan
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

• 80s night, etc

I still think an area "school game day" on a Saturday would pull a lot of kids and parents. Student section is where the life is. Hopefully that's being addressed. GCU students are electtric and having a blast. We probably don't have the funds GCU has but it can be changed for thr better.
A day game for school kids would also be fantastic. Get a crowd of 5-6k of those little heathens, I mean angels in there.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Ticket revenue this year is more than double the previous best year. Concession sales have also been at record levels for both football and basketball. No revenue, no athletics.
Well that's good to hear that atleast it's effective.

Do you happen to know how many tickets sold vs previous years?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I do not, but I have great confidence that pre-Ivey attendance was meaningfully inflated. Don't know that it was intentional as much as just a sloppy guess.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I do not, but I have great confidence that pre-Ivey attendance was meaningfully inflated. Don't know that it was intentional as much as just a sloppy guess.

Yes and no. I remember a football game in 2014 or 2015 that claimed we had around 15000 in attendance, which I doubt is accurate, but basketball games were certainly sold out or nearly sold out, especially in the final weeks of the season.

I think Covid did put a stranglehold on everything and the school just needs to focus its efforts in getting everyone back. Become THE division 1 program of East Texas. Promote at home in Nac and Lufkin and out to Tyler and Longview.
PurpleOut
Staff
One of the toughest jobs I think Ivey and the entire athletic department has is getting the school, the community, the fans, etc, out of their old comfort zone and into a new look.

Everything from ticket prices, staffing, events, marketing, conference alignment, etc...it makes sense to most of us that are dialed in and will be onboard regardless of what they do.

But to the casual fan or the older local resident whos only tie to SFA is living in Nacogdoches? They won't care as much. And they won't...and don't, understand why we would do things the way we are.

Too many people that are ok with complacency. Which isn't what Ivey and the rest of us are about any longer. It's not something that can be done overnight for sure.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

One of the toughest jobs I think Ivey and the entire athletic department has is getting the school, the community, the fans, etc, out of their old comfort zone and into a new look.

Everything from ticket prices, staffing, events, marketing, conference alignment, etc...it makes sense to most of us that are dialed in and will be onboard regardless of what they do.

But to the casual fan or the older local resident whos only tie to SFA is living in Nacogdoches? They won't care as much. And they won't...and don't, understand why we would do things the way we are.

Too many people that are ok with complacency. Which isn't what Ivey and the rest of us are about any longer. It's not something that can be done overnight for sure.

100% correct
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Yes and no. I remember a football game in 2014 or 2015 that claimed we had around 15000 in attendance, which I doubt is accurate, but basketball games were certainly sold out or nearly sold out, especially in the final weeks of the season.

I think Covid did put a stranglehold on everything and the school just needs to focus its efforts in getting everyone back. Become THE division 1 program of East Texas. Promote at home in Nac and Lufkin and out to Tyler and Longview.
I'm assuming attendance has always been inflated. But I figure our internal ticket sales numbers are pretty accurate across years.

One other thing I'd like to see us do for football is to sell cheaper tickets on the visitors side. If you're willing to sit on the surface of the sun and fill out the tv side of the field, I'm willing to make it affordable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.